HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs come back but lose to Booby Ryan...

Old
01-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
It's funny, since the beginning of the season until this week I was fretting over the Habs faithful letting me down and not giving Saku the welcome he deserved.

Turns out the organization let me down... Not that they disrespected him, it just seems like they did the bare minimum. I hope, like some people have suggested, that one day he does get invited back after retiring and he gets the send off he deserves.

Kudos to the fans though. Seeing Saku point to his heart and wave was one of my favorite hockey moments in recent memory.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Cant beleive eller only played 5 minutes and martin gave up on him in the middle of the 2nd

i CANt beleive that

deshanrais played in overtime for crissakes...

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Well that sucks... over 10 years with the Habs and all he got is 10 seconds at the end of the canadian anthem???

And because of their stupid rule, he wasn't the first star of the game.
I actually liked what they did. It wasn't overly intrusive. We have a team here and Saku is not part of it right now. We are fighting for a playoff point. If you wan't a tribute, do it at the beginning or end of the season. Not in the middle of it. Saku got more than many other players that played their heart here. I think this type of thing is what Saku wanted, not much media attention (he had plenty when he was here).

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:33 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Cant beleive eller only played 5 minutes and martin gave up on him in the middle of the 2nd

i CANt beleive that

Eller was bad tonight, he was very weak of the 2nd goal especially. And we were behind all game, Eller doesn't really spark any offense so why play him when we need to win?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
I actually liked what they did. It wasn't overly intrusive. We have a team here and Saku is not part of it right now. We are fighting for a playoff point. If you wan't a tribute, do it at the beginning or end of the season. Not in the middle of it. Saku got more than many other players that played their heart here. I think this type of thing is what Saku wanted, not much media attention (he had plenty when he was here).
You like what they did? A 10 seconds "footage" is enough for you to make a tribute to Saku for his 10 years of service as our captain?

It can easily be done in a commercial break. Show a tribute of him and let the fans give him another ovation. It doesn't have anything to do with the playoffs race.

The Flyers did it to the Simon Gagne in the first period of a game. Looks much much muchhhhhhh better than what they did to Saku.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:

i CANt beleive that

Eller is a natural center but JM is stubborn and wants him to play wing... doesn't work. Desharnais is a natural center who could play wing, but plays center, it helps. But Desharnais plays surprisingly well, and Eller constantly battle with the puck...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:39 PM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
Eller was bad tonight, he was very weak of the 2nd goal especially. And we were behind all game, Eller doesn't really spark any offense so why play him when we need to win?
This ^

Why all the unconditional love for Eller? He is invisible.

He needs to be sent down. He needs to put on muscle/weight, and gain some confidence. The NHL game is moving too fast for him right now. When Camel or Halpern are ready it is bye-bye Eller. The brass needs to swallow their pride and realize that they did not win the Halak trade (yet........ but I'm afraid Eller will take longer to pan out than most anticipated).

Take solace in the fact that Price has been dynamite this season.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:40 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
To be fair, Eller had an awful turnover in the offensive zone that led directly to the Ducks' 2nd goal. (Edit: oops I see it was already pointed out)

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:45 PM
sheed36

Quote:

i CANt beleive that

I agree.. If JM is gonna continue to bench the kid every time he makes a mistake why not just send him down to Hamilton instead of always benching him.. JM should act like the coach and point out to Eller what he did wrong but let the kid play..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
My thoughts exactly. I cant recall any active player that received the same kind of welcome back by both the organization and especially the fans.

It was the subtleties that made it special. I could see them doing something bigger after he retires.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Patrick View Post
My thoughts exactly. I cant recall any active player that received the same kind of welcome back by both the organization and especially the fans.

It was the subtleties that made it special. I could see them doing something bigger after he retires.
Simon Gagne. Watch the video a couple of posts back.

It was really well done, the fans and all players from both teams gave him a good ovation. It was much better than what the Habs did to Koivu.

Old
01-22-2011, 10:49 PM
slimkay

Quote:
For the people who went at the Bell center, did the organization show any other tribute video to Saku or it was only that last 10 seconds of the Canadian Anthem?
That would have been way over the top. Koivu is no Brett Favre, or Jean Beliveau...

slimkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Well that sucks... over 10 years with the Habs and all he got is 10 seconds at the end of the canadian anthem???

I doubt that Mr. Gillett would have permitted this to happen.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:54 PM
guest1467

I love how people like to whine about how Martin handles Eller?

How come they never praise him for how he has done with Pacioretty?

At what point does most of the blame/praise fall on the player himself, rather than the coach?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Plante

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I agree.. If JM is gonna continue to bench the kid every time he makes a mistake why not just send him down to Hamilton instead of always benching him.. JM should act like the coach and point out to Eller what he did wrong but let the kid play..

He took Eller out not because of one thing, but because of weak general play. His job, as a coach, is to win. We're in the middle of a tight playoff race, and in this franchise winning is all that counts (Just ask the fans).

So it stands to reason, that if we're losing and we need to win the game, to play your strong hand. So, JM, in all his coaching wisdom, replaced Eller with Gio. And if it was'nt for Gio not cashing in on a couple of golden opportunities, we could have ended this before overtime, and he would have seemed like some mad genius. We can't play Eller 'just because'. We have to win, or at least come out with a point (which we did).

So JM should act like a coach and make the best decisions that would lead to points, and not act like a day care attendant and keep playing rookies, even though they're playing bad, in tight situations.

Plante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:58 PM
guest1467

Quote:

You sound like a little child. Who cares? From everyone around the league, and from Koivu himself he was very appreciative of the welcome he got.

Who cares what star he was? The guy didnīt even play a good game for christ sakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post

He took Eller out not because of one thing, but because of weak general play. His job, as a coach, is to win. We're in the middle of a tight playoff race, and in this franchise winning is all that counts (Just ask the fans).

So it stands to reason, that if we're losing and we need to win the game, to play your strong hand. So, JM, in all his coaching wisdom, replaced Eller with Gio. And if it was'nt for Gio not cashing in on a couple of golden opportunities, we could have ended this before overtime, and he would have seemed like some mad genius. We can't play Eller 'just because'. We have to win, or at least come out with a point (which we did).

So JM should act like a coach and make the best decisions that would lead to points, and not act like a day care attendant and keep playing rookies, even though they're playing bad, in tight situations.
Rational, opiniated and logical. Nice post. For some reason, people will ***** about anything it seems. The job of Martin is to win games, plain and simple. And the job of Eller is to play better overall. Martin is holding his end of the bargain, Eller isnīt. And regardless, look at DD and Pacioretty, if you play smart, hard and make good plays, you are going to see ice.

Old
01-22-2011, 11:03 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
You sound like a little child. Who cares? From everyone around the league, and from Koivu himself he was very appreciative of the welcome he got.

Who cares what star he was? The guy didnīt even play a good game for christ sakes.
Pot meet kettle. I don't know what was in your cheerios this morning but you've sounded like the biggest whiner all night complaining about why Koivu shouldn't get a bigger ovation or why he shouldn't get the 1st star.

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Stradale

Quote:

I love how you never give your opinion about the game, you just come here and critics other member that doesn't share the same opinion as yours. Do you have an opinion on hockey or you just have an opinion on other's opinion?

You always do that so I don't really care what you're saying.

I care, and if you look at the Saku thread, there's a couple of other people who was disappointed by the lack of effort the Habs did for giving Saku a final tribute.

IF you haven't seen it, here's what the Flyers organization, not the fans, gave to Simon Gagne when he came back for the first time after leaving the team. Gagne wasn't the Flyers captain or whatever and got a much more better tribute compared to Saku's.

What the Habs did to Koivu doesn't even come close to this.

Old
01-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Rational, opiniated and logical. Nice post. For some reason, people will ***** about anything it seems. The job of Martin is to win games, plain and simple. And the job of Eller is to play better overall. Martin is holding his end of the bargain, Eller isnīt. And regardless, look at DD and Pacioretty, if you play smart, hard and make good plays, you are going to see ice.
I don't have a problem with a coach benching a player, but I also don't like when a coach moves a player from 3rd line center to 4th line center to the pressbox then to 1st line right wing. Then you keep him at right wing for two weeks until you (the coach) put him back at center for 1 shift and bench the player when something goes wrong.

Send the kid down. It's simple. As a GM you have to recognize that JM is not giving this kid much room to make mistakes, which is fine because it's the coach's job to win, so simply send him to the minors. No big deal. Give the kid top minutes, and let him develop for the rest of the year.

Who cares that he was traded for Halak? He's only averaging 10 mins per game anyway.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quack, quack, quack! If only JM would make the players practice the shooting...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:10 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:

At what point does most of the blame/praise fall on the player himself, rather than the coach?
What has he even done with Pacioretty? He rushed him last year into a top-6 role even though he wasn't ready and as the season went on he lost all his confidence and ended up being sent down.

The people that deserve the praise for Pacioretty are himself, the coaches down in Hamilton for putting him in a position to succeed offensively and Desharnais who helped him gain confidence back in his offensive game. If Pacioretty didn't publicly make the comment about wanting to be in the AHL all year unless he was in a top-6 role I guarantee Martin would have him riding the pine or playing on the fourth line whenever he'd make a mistake. Yes the blame should also be given to Eller for making mistakes and Martin shouldn't get all the blame but young players need to play to fix their mistakes and being benched every single time they make a mistake isn't going to help them.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Just finished to read the whole GDT.

That was a pretty good game to watch despite the refs (especially in the 3rd) and no, the Habs didn't fail, that was a great comeback once again. I'd gladly take the point.

Last edited by Fel 96: 01-22-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:25 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post

If Eller is so bad and needs to be benched every other game why not just send the kid down to Hamilton to let him play regular minutes and to develop there.. If the Habs insist on keeping him up and playing him isn't it JM's job as a coach to prepare the kid to play the games too..

Lastly.. I don't get what was so funny.. I always respect others opinions around here and don't feel a need to laugh when I don't agree with them..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:

LOL right, like pacioretty didnt give an indirect shot at martin for how he was handled last year? i cant imagine what Eller would say given the chance, patches complained bout being sent to the 4th line, Ellers being outright BENCHED.

its just WORKING out this year thanks to pacioretty himself who has worked hard, was scoring in bundles in the AHL, got the call when the team was struggling, and placed in the top 6 as a winger, he was born and raised a freakin winger, and right now, patches is playing well because hes doing so himself

Eller is a center, and has his better games as a center, not that i dont want to see eller in the top 6, but why martin gives up on him in the middle of the 2nd period is beyond me, he should be giving a little more leeway to a center being forced to play as a winger, and personaly, desharnais' best game was vs a pee wee senators team, he still doesnt impress me at all like Eller does

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:34 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
What has he even done with Pacioretty? He rushed him last year into a top-6 role even though he wasn't ready and as the season went on he lost all his confidence and ended up being sent down.

The people that deserve the praise for Pacioretty are himself,
Seems kind of contradictory doesnīt it? How about the fact that Martin has put him in YOUR WORDS Ļin a position to succeed offensivelyĻ with Gomez and Gionta. Or how about how he has put him in front of the net on the PP, which has been his bread and butter these last two games, where has been by far the most impressive part of his game. Nah, that wouldnīt be Martinīs doing...its all on Pacs. But then...

Quote:
the coaches down in Hamilton for putting him in a position to succeed offensively and Desharnais who helped him gain confidence back in his offensive game.
Clear double standard.

Quote:
If Pacioretty didn't publicly make the comment about wanting to be in the AHL all year unless he was in a top-6 role I guarantee Martin would have him riding the pine or playing on the fourth line whenever he'd make a mistake.
You donīt seriously believe this do you?

Quote:
Yes the blame should also be given to Eller for making mistakes and Martin shouldn't get all the blame but young players need to play to fix their mistakes and being benched every single time they make a mistake isn't going to help them.
Eller is playing, and getting chances. Unfortunately, he isnīt coming through on them, not yet anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
I don't have a problem with a coach benching a player, but I also don't like when a coach moves a player from 3rd line center to 4th line center to the pressbox then to 1st line right wing. Then you keep him at right wing for two weeks until you (the coach) put him back at center for 1 shift and bench the player when something goes wrong.
You donīt think a coach should be able to get different looks from a player, particularly a rookie? How is he supposed to be able to learn about him, or his chemistry with others? You think a forward, particularly a center should play in one position his whole career?

Quote:
Send the kid down. It's simple. As a GM you have to recognize that JM is not giving this kid much room to make mistakes, which is fine because it's the coach's job to win, so simply send him to the minors. No big deal. Give the kid top minutes, and let him develop for the rest of the year.
I donīt really have an opinion on this, may be you are right. I think he is still an asset to the team though.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
I love how you never give your opinion about the game, you just come here and critics other member that doesn't share the same opinion as yours. Do you have an opinion on hockey or you just have an opinion on other's opinion?
Oh come on...I gathered around 10K posts on this board by never offering an opinion. Here are some posts I made tonight:

Quote:
In order for him to become a good first line player he needs to be able to be a good player when the going gets tough, havenīt seen that from him yet. He has some confidence issues.

That being said he is young, and it seems Cunney had a great affect on his play. He has greatly improved in his balance and use of his body in the offensive zone. And his hands in and around the net have become his best asset.

We will see, he still has a lot to prove.
Quote:
Who was it that made that read and intercepted the pass then fed Pouliot? Nice read by Pouliot as well. All around good play, too bad there was no finish.
Quote:
Nice pass by Kostitsyn.
Quote:
I donīt get the MAB comparisons at either myself either, they play vastly different styles of game with the puck and in the defensive zone. Wiz has many more dimensions to his game than a good first pass and PP prowness, as opposed to MAB who didnīt.
Quote:
Nice little play along the boards as well, and a shot on net.
Quote:
You always do that so I don't really care what you're saying.
I always do that to you. I mean isnīt this a discussion board, are we not supposed to discuss opposing views on topics?

Quote:
I care, and if you look at the Saku thread, there's a couple of other people who was disappointed by the lack of effort the Habs did for giving Saku a final tribute.

IF you haven't seen it, here's what the Flyers organization, not the fans, gave to Simon Gagne when he came back for the first time after leaving the team. Gagne wasn't the Flyers captain or whatever and got a much more better tribute compared to Saku's.

What the Habs did to Koivu doesn't even come close to this.
Obviously you care, and my opinion is you do a little too much. Yes, I saw it the first time you posted it. So the flyers made a little clip for Gagne, while the Habs just let our bread and butter, our fans, do it for him. Saku knows what the organization thinks of him, they have always had his back. This is about the fans giving him a little cheer for being such a good player with us. Not every thing has to be blown out of propotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk711 View Post
Pot meet kettle. I don't know what was in your cheerios this morning but you've sounded like the biggest whiner all night complaining about why Koivu shouldn't get a bigger ovation or why he shouldn't get the 1st star.
Never once said anything about any oviation, but okay. I made 3, count them, 3 posts, alluding to the ridiculousness of people getting up in arms about the Ļstar statusĻ he deserves to recieve, when the guy didnīt even play a good game.