HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chorney sent back down

Old
01-23-2011, 12:35 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yeah, this is hades with several feet of snow. I've gone through two snow shovels already this winter. Good exercise though.

Hows the weather Bry? Let me guess. 76F, nice tradewind breeze.
Two snow shovels? Replacement = a snow shoveling monster? Takes huge scoops of snow that the shovel cannot handle

As for the weather here that's about right, just that it's a bit on the still side tonight.

01-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Juice

Quote:
Chorney>Strudwick. Wow. Damning with faint praise.

I repeat Chorney is a small D (a quantity we absolutely don't need) that doesn't think the game well enough to survive at this level. -28 in 50GP pretty much speaks that. This is NHL selection at work. Sucks for Chorney I guess.
How doesn't he think the game well enough? Besides the last game, the games I had watched I thought he was in good position in his own end and he made plays. Also enough with the -28 in 50 games. The guy wasn't even ready to play. The coaches knew it, he knew it only management didn't. They never had enough depth on the backend to sustain all the injuries. Chorney was essentially thrown to the wolves when was in the NHL. That being said he didn't put up real promising numbers in the AHL either. But now a year older and more confidence the kid is playing well and starting to develop to an actual defenceman.

Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectStorm View Post
Just asking cause I'm through there a lot. No too often you come across people from that big metropolis.
Give my regards to Odin. Tell him he still owes me on the Hemskybet years ago..

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:46 AM
dnicks17

Chorney and Petry, both minuses in 3 games.

AHL chumps.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
How doesn't he think the game well enough? Besides the last game, the games I had watched I thought he was in good position in his own end and he made plays. Also enough with the -28 in 50 games. The guy wasn't even ready to play. The coaches knew it, he knew it only management didn't. They never had enough depth on the backend to sustain all the injuries. Chorney was essentially thrown to the wolves when was in the NHL. That being said he didn't put up real promising numbers in the AHL either. But now a year older and more confidence the kid is playing well and starting to develop to an actual defenceman.
Well presumably the team agrees with me and sent him down. Hard to reconcile the bolded with your earlier quip about if I know so much I should get a call from Oiler management.

Seem's like you saying you know better than the org. Let me know.

Old
01-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Chorney and Petry, both minuses in 3 games.

AHL chumps.
Pretty weak argument, Petry has less pro experience and was drafted a year later yet he is clearly the superior player at this point and as far as I'm concerned I don't see that changing anytime soon. BTW-Wasn't it you in the Petry thread that pointed to his +/- when some of us thought that he played very well in his first couple of games?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:51 AM
ThePresent83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Pretty weak argument, Petry has less pro experience and was drafted a year later yet he is clearly the superior player at this point and as far as I'm concerned I don't see that changing anytime soon. BTW-Wasn't it you in the Petry thread that pointed to his +/- when some of us thought that he played very well in his first couple of games?
I could be wrong... but i detected a wiff of sarcasm in his post.

God let it have been sarcasm

ThePresent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:52 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePresent83 View Post
I could be wrong... but i detected a wiff of sarcasm in his post.

God let it have been sarcasm
Somehow I think not. But I'm not sure.

Old
01-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Well presumably the team agrees with me and sent him down. Hard to reconcile the bolded with your earlier quip about if I know so much I should get a call from Oiler management.

Chorney's issues are that he doesn't think the game very well, he doesn't know when/when not to pinch, and he shoots with a pop gun. Add this to the fact that he isn't overly big or strong and you have a guy that is probably a year or two out from looking passable as an NHL d-man if ever. The hope would be that like Reddox that extra year makes a big difference for him. The speed and passing ability is there, always has been so there are some good qualities in this player, he needs to harness them better and improve on his weaknesses if he is ever to have any kind of an NHL career.

Old
01-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Somehow I think not. But I'm not sure.
Yeah I'm awaiting confirmation one way or another myself.

Old
01-23-2011, 12:58 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Yeah I'm awaiting confirmation one way or another myself.
I think I know what he meant. But kind of a pointless stance. Not hard to tell Petry>Chorney.

The only reason I was looking at rudimentary +/- numbers with Chorney was in response to all the people stating "but he's playing really well"

How do they substantiate that?

Old
01-23-2011, 01:08 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
You kind of missed my point. I'm not downplaying Petry, and I don't think that was me in the Petry thread.

Chorney was:
-1 in 3-2 loss to Dallas
-1 in 4-1 loss to Minnesota (almost played 21 minutes)
-2 in 4-2 loss to Dallas (clearly a bad game for him)

You don't even need stats, if you watch those games, you would have seen he played well. He had one bad game, and you're condemning him to toil away in the AHL for the rest of his career.

Bringing up pre-developmental numbers is just a pointless argument.

Dubnyk started 0-11. ECHL goalie.
Horcoff was -29. Worst two-way player on this team.
Reddox was -2 in 9 games last year. 4th line AHLer.

It's almost unbelievable how easily some people give up on a decent organizational asset.

edit: Oh yeah, that was me bringing up +/- in the Petry thread. Everyone was saying how awesome he was playing, yet in the 4-2 loss to Buffalo he was on the ice for all 4 goals against. Petry is obviously a much better talent than Chorney, but both of them are going to make mistakes.

The point of my earlier post was to show how little +/- and "minus games" are indicative of quality of play. Obviously it was a bit confusing and not well thought out, but I think you get the picture.

Last edited by dnicks17: 01-23-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old
01-23-2011, 01:18 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

He didn't help himself with his last game played.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:25 AM
dnicks17

I'm not saying he played well and is quickly developing into a top pairing PMD. I'm just saying he played well enough over the course of the call-up to show he can play bottom pairing minutes.

He's has a style of play that supports a Peckham/Plante-esque partner, and showed he's a decent option for our bottom pairing if signing UFAs isn't in Tambo's plans.

There's no point disregarding the kid as a prospect when he might end up as our best option on the bottom pairing next year, or the year after.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:30 AM
Juice

Quote:

All i know is I would of send Strudwick down months ago to help the lockeroom in OKC. That or tell him he can have a job in the community or something. Actually If I was Steve Tambellini I would of never signed the guy in the first place! Marc Andre Begeron looks like a perennial norris candidate compared to that clown.

Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:55 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Chorney reminds me of O'sullivan so much potential but useless at applying it cant see him ever being a regular nhl dmen cant defend cant produce on offense at nhl level . Would rather see Plante get a bigger role in OKC Chorney not part of the future IMO

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:02 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
You kind of missed my point. I'm not downplaying Petry, and I don't think that was me in the Petry thread.

Chorney was:
-1 in 3-2 loss to Dallas
-1 in 4-1 loss to Minnesota (almost played 21 minutes)
-2 in 4-2 loss to Dallas (clearly a bad game for him)

You don't even need stats, if you watch those games, you would have seen he played well. He had one bad game, and you're condemning him to toil away in the AHL for the rest of his career.

Bringing up pre-developmental numbers is just a pointless argument.

Dubnyk started 0-11. ECHL goalie.
Horcoff was -29. Worst two-way player on this team.
Reddox was -2 in 9 games last year. 4th line AHLer.

It's almost unbelievable how easily some people give up on a decent organizational asset.

edit: Oh yeah, that was me bringing up +/- in the Petry thread. Everyone was saying how awesome he was playing, yet in the 4-2 loss to Buffalo he was on the ice for all 4 goals against. Petry is obviously a much better talent than Chorney, but both of them are going to make mistakes.

The point of my earlier post was to show how little +/- and "minus games" are indicative of quality of play. Obviously it was a bit confusing and not well thought out, but I think you get the picture.
From what I recall he wasn't that bad in the first 2 games but was brutal in his third game. The fact remains that he needs to learn a lot and improve on his game if he is going to be part of the mix here. That said if we can move Foster, Vandermeer, or Strudwick at the deadline maybe he gets another shot? IIRC he'll be waiver eligible next year so if we can't use him and another team covets him he'll be in the NHL.

Old
01-23-2011, 11:11 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

whether posters like it or not, it appears that Chorney is still very much in the plans for the Oilers in the future.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Oil Ever View Post
whether posters like it or not, it appears that Chorney is still very much in the plans for the Oilers in the future.
We'll see about that when he's waiver eligible next training camp.

Old
01-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Oil Ever View Post
In the AHL. Where he belongs.

Old
01-24-2011, 10:01 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
We'll see about that when he's waiver eligible next training camp.
I can't see anyone taking Chorney off of waivers next year.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I can't see anyone taking Chorney off of waivers next year.
Neither can I, however if he's a big part of the future here they wouldn't put him on waivers IMO. That was my point.

Old
01-24-2011, 10:20 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Neither can I, however if he's a big part of the future here they wouldn't put him on waivers IMO. That was my point.
I don't know that he is big part right now, but just a part of it. If they lose him then they move on.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:06 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

i appreciate the opinions guys. maybe i'm wrong on this? maybe Chorney really isn't in the long term plans? especially with Marincin and Plante waiting in the wings, and perhaps Adam Larsson if we draft him. i know he played crappy last year, but he was basically thrown to the dogs when he wasn't ready for the NHL. he has played at least fairly well this year when he was here ( i know, i know -3 in only 6 games). i guess we'll see at the end of the year what they decide to do with him. but i'd hate like hell to wait all this time for him to finally show signs of development just to show him the door without giving him a full season to see what he can do.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:20 AM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

I could definitely see him in the organization for the future you need dependable call ups for injury situations. His future on the Oilers really depends on his development compare to other prospects as well as what Tambo does in the off season.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote