HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Drew Stafford and Andrej Sekera

Old
01-23-2011, 12:32 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Anyone else giggling at the constant misspelling of Staal's last name in this thread?

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:36 AM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
First off, I'm a Sabres fan. Secondly, there's no reason for them to destroy their center depth and a developing strong two-way center for Stafford, who is showing signs but we can't say for sure he is finally putting it together over a consistent basis. The successful teams nowadays are the one that have terrific center depth. Crosby is good enough that it hasn't really hurt them that their wingers are sub par. Plus Stafford is RFA and will be getting a pay raise, so it won't be half the cap hit come next year.
Still having crosby and malkin down the middle wouldnt leave pittsburgh's center position "destroyed". Stafford will probobly get a raise to about 3-3.5 million which is still cheaper than staal, and can easily match the offensive output of Staal, while giving crosby a legit scoring threat.

Last edited by Havok89: 01-23-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:28 AM
Amd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
On pace for 30 doesn't mean much when he's never score that before. Staal is younger and better at pretty much everything.
I do not think that you could be any further from the truth. Stafford has shown incredible signs of skill at times. He really has grown into an excellent role this season as well. He has found a groove and this is without a decent center men at his side.

Plus, Crosby and Stafford are no strangers to one another. They played hockey and won a whole bunch playing together at Shattuck St. Mary's.

The only downfall is Stafford will get paid. Probably not as much as Staal, but he will earn more than he is right now.

I think Pittsburgh would jump all over this. The Sabres however would be stupid to make the trade. They need to add players like Stafford to this roster, not subtract them. They need a bonafide set up number one centermen in a bad, bad way. Roy is great and cost effective, but they need him to contribute on the 2nd scoring line and PK. They need a guy that can play like Connolly showed he could in the past. When you could catch a glimpse of what potential he had. He just wastes space on this roster now.

Amd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:05 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd View Post
I think Pittsburgh would jump all over this.
No chance. Shero loves Staal's game. Honestly, I could see Malkin getting traded before Staal. I don't agree with it, but I could see it happening one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd View Post
The Sabres however would be stupid to make the trade.
I'll let you speak for Sabres fans. I can see why they're high on Stafford and why they feel this way. Pens fans feel this way about almost any deal involving Staal, though.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Rowley Birkin

I am one of the biggest advocates of moving Stafford BUT the return has to be right. And as others have said, thats a top 6 centre or someone that is close to being that in the near future.

If other moves are made alongside it I would move him for a 1B/2A type D, or a scoring winger that I liked more than Stafford, but the primary objective would be getting a centre.

Unless of course they go into total rebuild - which I doubt very much.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
I like Wheeler, but we need a center.
Not that it would happen especially with them being div. rivals - and I really like Sekera this year - but what about something like

Wheeler and Bergeron/Krejci
for
Stafford and Sekera (+)

Vanek-Roy-Wheeler
Ennis/Hecht-Bergeron/Krejci-Pominville

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
I agree that Sekera and Stafford are improving and maturing, but in my personal opinion I really feel like Sekera will end up like Kalinin. All that talent I just doubt he'll put it all together. and with Myers, Weber, Brennan, Schiestel, Pysyk and McNabb in the pipeline, along with Leopold signed for another two years,I think the Sabres will have enough depth on defense to part with Sekera. Especially if it was as one of the above posters mentioned, for Wheeler. That could make Stafford expendable.

As for Stafford, I believe he is getting better... much better. The Buffalo News last year wrote an article about him and his "band" and I really think he didn't take hockey as seriously as those guys who are really good top line forwards do. I believe he came into this year with a more focused, professional attitude and it's showing in his performance.

But I believe that if the Sabres can get a return of a top-6 center like a Jordan Staal, David Backes, Ryan Kesler, Joe Pavelski, or even Derick Brassard or Paul Stasny. I understand most of these guys are not on the block. And that you might have to overpay for them... But I believe that a big move is needed to make this team into a real contender again. Similar to what was done when the team traded for Briere and Drury. They brought two guys to lead this team and built around them with a few other acquisitions (Dumont, Grier, Numminen, Lydman) along with homegrown talent (Vanek, Afinogenov, Roy, Tallinder, Miller, Pominville).

Personally, if a package of Stafford and draft picks/prospects could net us a guy like Pavelski, or even better, Staal, I'd do it. In my opinion Staal is THE guy the Sabres need. Plays strong along the boards, great defensively, can be 25-30goal 50-60point guy.

I say use Stafford and either deal him and a low level prospect for Backes, or package him with prospects/picks for Staal. While it may seem an overpayment if you end up giving Stafford+2011 1st+ Gerbe or Stafford+2011 2nd+ Luke Adam + T.J. Brennan now, I believe that Staal is a player who will be worth it. But again, just my opinion.
all the names you mention as possible returns for Stafford/Sekera... are quite different from your original post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
What kind of picks/prospects would you be willing to give up for them. Either seperately or together?
Stafford and Sekera should NOT be traded for picks/prospects...
... and then the names you mention in the other thread are so far from realistic, it's not even worth discussing.

If you want guys like Pavelski, Krejci, Staal, Stastny, etc... then make offers of Vanek and Roy.

Would you trade Derek Roy for Drew Stafford and Andrej Sekera? come on man...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:09 AM
JTG

Stafford for a pick and a prospect from Pittsburgh

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:52 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
Still having crosby and malkin down the middle wouldnt leave pittsburgh's center position "destroyed". Stafford will probobly get a raise to about 3-3.5 million which is still cheaper than staal, and can easily match the offensive output of Staal, while giving crosby a legit scoring threat.
Yeah but what about when Malkin shifts to the wing? Then you have no center depth. And it's not all about offense, Staal's defensive abilities are what make him worth more than Stafford.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Tra La La

I wonder if Sekera + McCormick + pick would get any interest in exchange for a center.

RW is our strongest position we could trade any, and have Kassian start in the bottom 6 next year.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Not that it would happen especially with them being div. rivals - and I really like Sekera this year - but what about something like

Wheeler and Bergeron/Krejci
for
Stafford and Sekera (+)

Vanek-Roy-Wheeler
Ennis/Hecht-Bergeron/Krejci-Pominville
Heck yes. But the Bruins would never do that.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:29 PM
northernKing

Seeing how nobody thinks he's worth Staal, how about Stafford for Stoll and a 2nd?

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
fear the grier

This is an interesting case because with both players, in my opinion, you still dont know which type of player is going to show up once they get that big contract.

In Stafford's case he's been extremely inconsistent in his production on a year to year basis, and it just so happens that his good years coincide with his contract years. Last year, after signing his current deal, he has 34 points in i believe 70 games...and was a healthy scratch one game for not giving enough effort. Not to take anything away from his year this year because its been very solid, but from a Sabres prospective, if they don't know which player will show up, then you move him. And because of this year he's having you should be able to get at least a 2nd, maybe a 1st depending on the team and its needs.

Sekera would probably get the same return, but again this year hes been very solid and last year he was alternating games in the press box with Butler at the end of the year. Personally I'm a Sekera fan and think he should be kept

fear the grier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 08:53 PM
wej20

Quote:
I'd do Stafford + Pysyk for Stall.
Pittsburgh's in a win-now mode so our first rounder doesnt do much for them
Pens have no use for Pysyk.

Quote:
While Stafford would be a nice addition to Crosby's RW he's probably going to put up 30-30 if he can keep it together, Staal can put up 20-30 independently from Geno and Sid which is a big advantage for the Pens.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote