HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds interested in Arnott

Old
01-22-2011, 11:08 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

vCash: 500
Preds interested in Arnott

according to Ek, yeh i know, The preds and canes are interested in Arnott. How could that possibly be? When we get healthy, we won't have room for the guys we got now, moreless another fwd. Unless we move some prospects, I just don't get it.

take it for what it's worth.

thoughts?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
according to Ek, yeh i know, The preds and canes are interested in Arnott. How could that possibly be? When we get healthy, we won't have room for the guys we got now, moreless another fwd. Unless we move some prospects, I just don't get it.

thoughts?
My thoughts: Thank God it's Eklund, I was worried for a while there.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:29 PM
glenngineer

No way Arnott ever steps foot in that locker room again.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

For NJ's 2nd round pick and Matt Halischuk.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:39 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
For NJ's 2nd round pick and Matt Halischuk.
i see what u did there, but no thanks. I believe we are on the winning side of that trade as of now. It wouldn't surprise me that arnott might want out. He probably thought we was going to a team poised for a cup run with kovy. My how things have changed.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post

thoughts?
I try to stay as far away from Eklund's rumors as I can. They aren't even worth a look. Arnott is literally the last player we would trade for

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I think we are 100% adding a veteran center by the deadline. We were built with strength up the middle and were dominate the opening two weeks before injuries started completely ravaging our depth. After all the injuries we sit in 4th (I think), but haven't had more than a handful of games since the third week of the year with more than two of our opening night centers in the lineup.

I know people are tired of me harping on our four Opening Night centers, but the reason I do is that Lombardi, O'Reilly, Legwand, Goc matched up favorably with nearly every team in the league and allowed us to roll four lines each night.

Smithson and Spaling have stepped up and taken full control of the checking line role and Legwand has subsequently been fulfilling the duties of one of our two scoring line centers. Mueller has done a bang up job as the fourth line center (and earned multiple two-way contract offers this season if we don't re-sign him), but is a rookie and is still undersized for his game.

Lombardi is an unexpected bonus if he returns, but Poile's not going to bank on his return. Additionally, O'Reilly had a plate and screws put into his leg and had tendons fixed in his ankle. Unfortunately, despite his great start to the year...Cal is likely going to serve in the same role this season as he did last year during the playoffs as an extra forward.

I cannot stress enough, nor do I expect anyone to believe it till we see it, but ownership under Tom Cigarran's control is focused intently on bringing the Stanley Cup to Nashville for more than just the annual visit. Ownership wants championship banners being hung in the rafters, but will do it responsibly. Poile will have the green light to add this year for the playoffs and realistically how much he has to spend has everything to do with how many more sellouts we can provide down the stretch.

Arnott is not my cup of tea, but bringing him back to play in a scoring line role (4th line) with some PP time wouldn't necessarily be the worst option. This is Shea Weber's team. This is Barry Trotz's team. Arnott would not be expected to provide leadership necessarily, but he would be looked upon to bring playoff experience. There aren't many guys active in the league with two Cup rings and a Cup-clinching OT goal on their resume.

If Arnott wants to win another Cup before he retires, why not bring him back? I don't think it'll be an issue in the locker room and ultimately we've still got Dumont and possibly Sully to work into the lineup as the season winds down.

Wilson - Legwand - Hornqvist
Erat - Goc - Kostitsyn
Spaling - Smithson - Ward
Sullivan - Arnott - Dumont
ex: O'Reilly, Svatos, Belak
IR: Lombardi, Tootoo

If Sullivan can't go plug Svatos in there. I personally don't anticipate Lombardi or Tootoo to return this year.

Plenty of guys to build two PP units from and 7 guys for the PK forward units in there as well. Tell me how other teams stop our scoring with that lineup? Can it be done? Sure! But over the course of a 7 game series I think there's enough depth there to provide us a few goals every game to work with. Then it comes down to defense and goaltending...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
To add to my essay above (typing all this from my phone too ):

Arnott has baggage attached that we're all familiar with, but the bottom line is that he is one of the top veteran forwards that is going to be moved at the deadline and as much as that baggage hurts his odds from a fan perspective and even a team perspective...ultimately this is professional hockey. Feelings are put aside to focus on a singular goal and win a championship.

If Arnott is the best player available within our price range, Poile will discuss this with Trotz and likely Trotz will get some input from Weber privately and I'm sure a phone call will go to Arnott as well to determine if they think it can work. If so, he's here...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:11 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Disagree with SLake. From what I've heard, Arnott would not be welcomed back in the lockerroom.

We might be adding a center, but it won't be Arnott.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Disagree with SLake. From what I've heard, Arnott would not be welcomed back in the lockerroom.

I hope you're right ... And I'm so glad I don't give the Schmuck anymore of my $...

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:43 AM
glenngineer

Quote:

I agree with you 100%.

Here's my thoughts to what SLake said, if they're professionals, why do teams always talk about a good locker room versus players who tear it apart? There are cancers in sports and there are guys that genuinely like playing with one another. If it means keeping Arnott away, I could care less how much of a professional he is, he would not be welcome back. There was a reason he was traded in the first place and I don't want that dressing room being disrupted for a cancer such as Arnott.

We have 12 forwards that play every night that have bought into the hard forechecking style that we play. You insert Arnott into that mix and you send a mixed message to guys like Mueller, Halischuk, Spaling, Ward, Smithson, that all your hard work will be rewarded for a guy that hustles when he wants to. Talk about a messes up head game that is. While none of those guys have Arnott's offensive talents, they hustle, play a team game and buy into the system. If we're going to laud and praise Trotz for what he does, let him have the players that will play his system to a T. This is the first time in many years, if ever, that I've seen this team click. We went for the kill the other night. We did it against Phoenix too. We are learning to close games out and decisively.

While it would be nice to add some veteran depth up the middle, I wouldn't do it just yet. If the 4th line weren't producing any sort of offense or chances, I'd say heck yeah but this team, as a whole is producing. Every night it seems a bunch of different guys are chipping in.

As someone said a few weeks ago, if for some reason our offense fails us, our D has less likely of a chance to fail which still puts us in a position to win a series. Offense wins games but defense wins championships. This Preds team is a dynamite defensive unit. While we're not going to light it up offensively, I'll take my chances with them right now.

Arnott is concerned with one thing, himself. Don't want him, don't need him and his lazy butt.

There are other options out there that are affordable, that can play a two game and fit into the team structure. And as much as I bag on Smithson, I'd rather have him than Arnott on this team. If that doesn't say something, I don't know what will.

Old
01-23-2011, 09:29 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I think we are 100% adding a veteran center by the deadline. We were built with strength up the middle and were dominate the opening two weeks before injuries started completely ravaging our depth. After all the injuries we sit in 4th (I think), but haven't had more than a handful of games since the third week of the year with more than two of our opening night centers in the lineup.

I know people are tired of me harping on our four Opening Night centers, but the reason I do is that Lombardi, O'Reilly, Legwand, Goc matched up favorably with nearly every team in the league and allowed us to roll four lines each night.

Smithson and Spaling have stepped up and taken full control of the checking line role and Legwand has subsequently been fulfilling the duties of one of our two scoring line centers. Mueller has done a bang up job as the fourth line center (and earned multiple two-way contract offers this season if we don't re-sign him), but is a rookie and is still undersized for his game.

Lombardi is an unexpected bonus if he returns, but Poile's not going to bank on his return. Additionally, O'Reilly had a plate and screws put into his leg and had tendons fixed in his ankle. Unfortunately, despite his great start to the year...Cal is likely going to serve in the same role this season as he did last year during the playoffs as an extra forward.

I cannot stress enough, nor do I expect anyone to believe it till we see it, but ownership under Tom Cigarran's control is focused intently on bringing the Stanley Cup to Nashville for more than just the annual visit. Ownership wants championship banners being hung in the rafters, but will do it responsibly. Poile will have the green light to add this year for the playoffs and realistically how much he has to spend has everything to do with how many more sellouts we can provide down the stretch.

Arnott is not my cup of tea, but bringing him back to play in a scoring line role (4th line) with some PP time wouldn't necessarily be the worst option. This is Shea Weber's team. This is Barry Trotz's team. Arnott would not be expected to provide leadership necessarily, but he would be looked upon to bring playoff experience. There aren't many guys active in the league with two Cup rings and a Cup-clinching OT goal on their resume.

If Arnott wants to win another Cup before he retires, why not bring him back? I don't think it'll be an issue in the locker room and ultimately we've still got Dumont and possibly Sully to work into the lineup as the season winds down.

Wilson - Legwand - Hornqvist
Erat - Goc - Kostitsyn
Spaling - Smithson - Ward
Sullivan - Arnott - Dumont
ex: O'Reilly, Svatos, Belak
IR: Lombardi, Tootoo

If Sullivan can't go plug Svatos in there. I personally don't anticipate Lombardi or Tootoo to return this year.

Plenty of guys to build two PP units from and 7 guys for the PK forward units in there as well. Tell me how other teams stop our scoring with that lineup? Can it be done? Sure! But over the course of a 7 game series I think there's enough depth there to provide us a few goals every game to work with. Then it comes down to defense and goaltending...
Quote:

I think Seth is absolutely correct with everything he's pointing out. As much as I would love to see Iginla brought in, this team does need a center first. I also think that the top two lines are doing so well that I don't see them being touched with Sullivan's return assuming it's right after the All-star break (my next Friday Face-Offs will show how well- truly night and day for everyone). That means that Sullivan is likely to slide down to the Dumont line (makes a ton of sense). With that move it certainly makes some sense to reunite Arnott with Sullivan and Dumont.

That said, if trigg is correct in that Arnott would not be welcomed back into the locker room by the players or coaches (and I haven't the foggiest clue), then I don't think he will be brought back.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:34 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
all I can say is who would have ever thought a line of Sully, Arnott, and Dumont would be considered our 4th line??

and if it is in fact our 4th line.... holy shcneikies what a team we've got...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:43 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
I think Seth is absolutely correct with everything he's pointing out. As much as I would love to see Iginla brought in, this team does need a center first. I also think that the top two lines are doing so well that I don't see them being touched with Sullivan's return assuming it's right after the All-star break (my next Friday Face-Offs will show how well- truly night and day for everyone). That means that Sullivan is likely to slide down to the Dumont line (makes a ton of sense). With that move it certainly makes some sense to reunite Arnott with Sullivan and Dumont.

That said, if trigg is correct in that Arnott would not be welcomed back into the locker room by the players or coaches (and I haven't the foggiest clue), then I don't think he will be brought back.
I still disagree. Bringing in talent doesn't always equate to wins. We've got great team chemistry. Why mess with it? After the Olympics last year the leaders in the locker room were Weber and Suter and hence why they're the captains of the team now. Mueller and Halischuk may not be the sexiest names out there but they hustle every shift and have been producing. The last thing I want is Arnott whining that he's not getting his minutes and his lazy arse coasting to the bench costing us a goal at the other end of the ice. We're built on a team principle and he knows nothing of the sort.

Is it worth risking messing with the balance in the locker room? Even if it's Weber's team now, does bringing the ex-captain back mess with that or help that? While they're "professionals", they're also human and I don't think a leopard is going to change his spots over night. I'd rather have Rads back than Arnott.

Also, having a Dumont, Arnott, Sully 4th line isn't that wonderful an idea. You want that line to be reserved for bangers and energy and do any of those guys really provide that? You know Dumont is ok with his roll on the 4th line but would Arnott and Sully be able to accept this? These 3 were also part of a PP that really wasn't working so what good does it do there? None as far as I can see.

Keep Arnott away. Far far away.

Old
01-23-2011, 10:02 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I still disagree. Bringing in talent doesn't always equate to wins. We've got great team chemistry. Why mess with it? After the Olympics last year the leaders in the locker room were Weber and Suter and hence why they're the captains of the team now. Mueller and Halischuk may not be the sexiest names out there but they hustle every shift and have been producing. The last thing I want is Arnott whining that he's not getting his minutes and his lazy arse coasting to the bench costing us a goal at the other end of the ice. We're built on a team principle and he knows nothing of the sort.

Is it worth risking messing with the balance in the locker room? Even if it's Weber's team now, does bringing the ex-captain back mess with that or help that? While they're "professionals", they're also human and I don't think a leopard is going to change his spots over night. I'd rather have Rads back than Arnott.

Also, having a Dumont, Arnott, Sully 4th line isn't that wonderful an idea. You want that line to be reserved for bangers and energy and do any of those guys really provide that? You know Dumont is ok with his roll on the 4th line but would Arnott and Sully be able to accept this? These 3 were also part of a PP that really wasn't working so what good does it do there? None as far as I can see.

Keep Arnott away. Far far away.
I don't think Sullivan will have a choice initially. If the top two lines falter for an extended period of time, then he may move back up (and I think Svatos would get first shot in order to determine if he should be brought back next season)- otherwise, I think he stays with Dumont.

It's certainly possible that Poile/Trotz could stick with Meuller as the fourth line center. The fourth line has been playing fairly well, but have only really been white-hot since that second Chicago game. I think if Poile/Trotz believe that they can improve the team within budget/resources, I think they will.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:06 AM
deanwormer

I personally believe JPs renewed commitment and improved "attitude" is a result of Arnott being gone. JP is never gonna' be a great skater, but if you have been watching you can see he's worked at it. JP is never gonna' be a speed demon, but we've seen him not just hustle but really blow after some pucks, including trying to beat some lead-footed Dmen down to save an icing - in the Arny years, we NEVER saw anything like that, not once.

Sure, it's Shea's team (well, I believe it's Shea and Sutes, but....) if there is any question or doubt with Arnott as a disruption in that locker room I don't see how you can bring him back. We could use a 4th line center and PP guy for the 2nd unit but I'll take my chances with our guys now, rather than send the "old business back to usual" message that it's ok to hustle when you want, play D when you want. Imagine the young guys and Co*y with that message!?!?!

That said - I'm sure there's a vet center out there somewhere who can play a creative and/or defensively responsible 4th line role if Poile looks. Edmonton gotta' be selling; the Isles and the Devils and the Loafs; the Sens. Won't be long and Buffalo and Florida will realize they aren't gonna' be in the hunt, either. That's a lotta' teams that should be able to make a decision easily to deal an expiring vet contract for a good draft pick.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:33 AM
token grinder

this is the same jason arnott who captained a team that we all thought could have and should have beaten the cup champs, and if i remember correctly, no one moaned or complained when we were pushing down the stretch last year or the playoffs about how he was a cancer. i am not advocating him coming back, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

the guy has entered keith tkachuk mode in hos career. doesn't really matter where he goes, he will be the hired gun at the deadline becasue he is still a serviceable player with great veteran experience

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:44 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
this is the same jason arnott who captained a team that we all thought could have and should have beaten the cup champs, and if i remember correctly, no one moaned or complained when we were pushing down the stretch last year or the playoffs about how he was a cancer. i am not advocating him coming back, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

the guy has entered keith tkachuk mode in hos career. doesn't really matter where he goes, he will be the hired gun at the deadline becasue he is still a serviceable player with great veteran experience
Really? You don't remember me moaning about his loafing? Really? Come on now.

He was invisible in the playoffs last year. Completely and utterly invisible. The transition in the locker room had already taken place to Weber and Suter. You know that as well as I do. The C was on his uniform but the guys were following Weber and Suter.

I remember a few years back when he came back from his concussion how he almost willed us to the playoffs. That Arnott was a stud but that stud only showed up for a few stretches per year. The rest of the time he loafed on the ice. He never used his size, which is one of the reasons we signed him in the first place.

You know how you and I wish Franson played his size? Well, he's finally starting to do that. Remember that we all wished Arnott would use his size and never did. Do you really want that back here?

Our team is built on constant movement. Arnott likes to stand still way too much. He is not a good fit here regardless of personality issues, his style of play is not a good fit.

Old
01-23-2011, 11:07 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I want a center who would fit with the wings he will be playing with.

If it's for the 3rd scoring line/ 4th line then old and slow would work. I could live with a 4th line of Sully-Arnott-Dumont.

Fact is Nashville needs a vet center with O'Reilly and Lombardi's injuries but the standing say other wise.

Should the team hold the line or make a move for a center?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:38 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I want a center who would fit with the wings he will be playing with.

If it's for the 3rd scoring line/ 4th line then old and slow would work. I could live with a 4th line of Sully-Arnott-Dumont.

Fact is Nashville needs a vet center with O'Reilly and Lombardi's injuries but the standing say other wise.

Should the team hold the line or make a move for a center?
Here's the other thing, if Trotz has a guy like Arnott again, would he use him in a 4th line role or would he be inclined to move Legwand down to play with Smithson and Ward again? Legwand has played well since his return from injury playing in the top 6. Playing with Hornqvist and Wilson allows him to express himself offensively while also being a solid defensive forward on that line. It also gives those other two some veteran leadership.

Also, I don't want old and slow on the third or fourth line. I want energy and guys that can change the game with some aggressive forechecking and checks. Arnott does neither.

And while I agree we could use a veteran center, as you said, the standings and the way we've been playing say otherwise. Would you have thought at the beginning of the season that if I said our centers would be Goc, Legwand, Smithson and Mueller that we'd be fourth in the conference? I would have doubted it too but it works.

Old
01-23-2011, 11:55 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Not sure to be honest.

Also Preds tend to get a guy NOT in the news for a trade. Trade news is drummed up to build up value. It wouldn't shock me to see Poile make a deal for Steven Weiss in Florida if Florida gives up ghost. Fisher is too obvious and would JUST fit under the cap at the trade deadline if there is 500K extra bonus money.

I'd personally wait. Players will get cheaper each day and the Preds would want a player who they can get on a one year, most likely. Also there is a bunch of players who are IRed who would have made nice trade chips; Tootoo, Lombardi, O'reilly.

Old
01-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
So where would y'all get such a center? I would think something approaching an ideal target would be Brendan Morrison; he's doing very well in Calgary at the moment, and is at a low enough contract that a draft pick ought to be enough. And Calgary is definitely selling.

Other possibilities: I figure Nik Antropov might work, if he can be had out of Atlanta. The Oilers might still be willing to trade Cogliano. And at the risk of exciting way too damn many Ottawa fans, there's always Mike Fisher, altho he's more than a little overpriced...

As for Stephen Weiss... he's of epic-level importance in Florida. He's the only top-6 center they have unless you count the other Santorelli. I seriously doubt he'd be traded.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:02 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Not sure to be honest.

Also Preds tend to get a guy NOT in the news for a trade. Trade news is drummed up to build up value. It wouldn't shock me to see Poile make a deal for Steven Weiss in Florida if Florida gives up ghost. Fisher is too obvious and would JUST fit under the cap at the trade deadline if there is 500K extra bonus money.

I'd personally wait. Players will get cheaper each day and the Preds would want a player who they can get on a one year, most likely. Also there is a bunch of players who are IRed who would have made nice trade chips; Tootoo, Lombardi, O'reilly.
It's funny you say Weiss. Always liked him as a player and I think he'd thrive here. Not a superstar but a very solid all around player.

Old
01-23-2011, 12:12 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
So where would y'all get such a center? I would think something approaching an ideal target would be Brendan Morrison; he's doing very well in Calgary at the moment, and is at a low enough contract that a draft pick ought to be enough. And Calgary is definitely selling.

Other possibilities: I figure Nik Antropov might work, if he can be had out of Atlanta. The Oilers might still be willing to trade Cogliano. And at the risk of exciting way too damn many Ottawa fans, there's always Mike Fisher, altho he's more than a little overpriced...

As for Stephen Weiss... he's of epic-level importance in Florida. He's the only top-6 center they have unless you count the other Santorelli. I seriously doubt he'd be traded.

Like I said, a vet center. Weiss I KNOW is a pipe dream but if Nashville could offer something that Florida would want it can work. I would like to see O'Reilly used as a trade chip but he's on IR. It would solve the problem of choosing between Goc and O'Reilly.

Old
01-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Like I said, a vet center. Weiss I KNOW is a pipe dream but if Nashville could offer something that Florida would want it can work. I would like to see O'Reilly used as a trade chip but he's on IR. It would solve the problem of choosing between Goc and O'Reilly.
I'm not sure you can. What they'd probably want is more guys like him or better.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote