HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tortorella defends Johnny Maclean

Old
01-23-2011, 09:34 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

vCash: 500
Tortorella defends Johnny Maclean

Not sure this is thread worthy, but anyway I found this pretty funny. Is Tortorella preparing the ground for an eventual 1st round against Tampa?

Quote:
Tortorella's unsolicited support of MacLean, who was replaced by Jacques Lemaire on Dec. 23 with the Devils at 9-22-2, came in the wake of comments from Lightning coach Guy Boucher, who was quoted last week saying: "I think if Jacques had been there since the beginning, they would be [up] there again."

"This is a tough enough job. Stay in your own business. Coach your own team," Tortorella said in reference to Boucher, in his first year behind an NHL bench. "Don't shoot your mouth off about another situation you don't know anything about.
More: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1BsB82xH5

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:36 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Boucher is a fantastic young coach, probably the next great coach in this league, but I'm not sure why he is making such a comment. It doesn't seem necessary.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:49 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Boucher is a fantastic young coach, probably the next great coach in this league, but I'm not sure why he is making such a comment. It doesn't seem necessary.
Perhaps just trying to show respect for Lemaire. But yeah, not a clever comment.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:53 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
Perhaps just trying to show respect for Lemaire. But yeah, not a clever comment.
Theres no reason to kiss Lemaire's ass. He should keep his mouth shut and worry about his own damn team because nothing is set in stone for tampa bay especially with their disaster of a goalie situation.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:05 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Theres no reason to kiss Lemaire's ass. He should keep his mouth shut and worry about his own damn team because nothing is set in stone for tampa bay especially with their disaster of a goalie situation.
So feisty about it!

Guy Boucher is from Quebec and worked in the Montreal org for awhile (Hamilton). Leamaire from Quebec and a Montreal legend. Sometimes that is reason enough.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:09 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
So feisty about it!

Guy Boucher is from Quebec and worked in the Montreal org for awhile (Hamilton). Leamaire from Quebec and a Montreal legend. Sometimes that is reason enough.
The guy was handed a nice foundation to work with in TB. I'm not quite sure if its been a tough task for him down there to be considered a decent coach at this point when he's had those types of players to work with. I think he should focus on his team and not take shots at other coaches who were in ****** situations like Maclean.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

And since Lemaire took over the Devils are still playing under .500 hockey (6-7-1), so I don't know if they would've been right up there like Boucher says.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Good on Torts, like many of you said - Boucher's quip was absolutely unnecessary, borderline juvenile.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

No surprise that one french coach sticks up for another. In quebec that's all that counts.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Melrose Munch

Not shocked. I am with Torts.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:54 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Good on Torts. I agree.

Now we just need to beat TB.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Seems like a complete ***** for saying that. What a *********. It's one thing for fans to do it, but a professional coach?

Learn some tact. Came off as a stereotypical French Canadian with an attitude problem.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:59 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Torts really gets fired up around all things TB.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:38 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Stuff like this just makes me like torts more and more, I admit I hated him when he came I and gutted the team but he's got us on a good track here, and a comment like this so nice to see from a veteran of the business putting a younger guy I his place. I love how he tells it like it is and doesn't hold back with anything media related.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:01 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Seems like a complete ***** for saying that. What a *********. It's one thing for fans to do it, but a professional coach?

Learn some tact. Came off as a stereotypical French Canadian with an attitude problem.
Eh, I don't think it's that big of a deal. The comment doesn't seem like it was made with the intent to put down MacLean, but rather to compliment Lemaire. Obviously, he could have chosen a different way to do that, but I'm going to chalk it up to an honest mistake from a guy who, other than this isolated incident, has only done things that make him seem like a very, very intelligent guy (and I'm not exactly a big fan of French-Canadian coaches in general).

Also, I admire his standing up for MacLean, who did not deserve to be thrown under the bus, but Johnny Cakes isn't exactly one to be giving anyone lessons on tact and professionalism.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:30 PM
XLJ

I think Guy Boucher comments were accurate. I dont think it's a big deal he was just trying to compliment Lemaire. Torts needs to stop being so sensitive.

Last edited by XLJ: 01-23-2011 at 09:41 PM.
XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:25 PM
OverTheCap

Good to see Torts stick up for MacLean, I know they haven't always gotten along in the past (Devils vs. Lightning 2007 ECQF comes to mind when they were having words between the two benches).

The mess in NJ has little to do with MacLean. I'm sure he is beyond upset that things didn't work out, it's never a good situation when a guy who has played and coached in an organization for years gets fired by the team he loves. No need for Boucher to rub salt in the wound, he could have complimented Lemaire in a manner that didn't appear to insult MacLean.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 06:15 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Wayne Gretzky is not only celebrating his 50th birthday on Wednesday, he was in New York last week to celebrate Mark Messier's 50th on the 18th.

"Mess' wife [Kim] threw a surprise party and it was great," Gretzky said. "I'm telling you, he looks like he can still play. He looks the same at 50 as he did at 30.

"He always stayed healthy. I don't think Mess has ever had an In-N-Out Burger in his life."
haha, @ In-N-Out comment. I feel like Gretz is saying "you don't know what you're missing out on, Mark!"

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 03:51 PM
HoosierDaddy

Holy Double Standard Batman...

Isn't blowhard doing exactly what he's suggesting the other coach do, like, mind your own business? Seems to me 27 other coaches are following this advice. Why not T... He's breaking his coaches "hypocritic" oath. This from a guy that refused to call a spade a spade when he was in the booth.

Last I checked the Devils are playing with pride (I feel so dirty )

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote