HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings inquired about Marian Gaborik

Old
01-23-2011, 12:20 AM
NikC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Not to mention Hank is only 28. Even if it takes the kids a few years to grow up he'll still be in his prime for several more. No reason he doesn't have close to a decade of great hockey left in him. So annoying when people cry about him being wasted...as if he's about to have nothing left in the tank.
Nearly every year since the lockout the NYR have iced a team that has barely managed to pot 2g a game, yet you want to move the only goal scorer the team has for kid who's never played in the nhl so that he can "grow" with our overhyped young players for the next 4-5 yrs?

then we'll be "ready"...

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:35 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Goalies don't get injured or worn down right? sure, keep telling yourself that henrik will always be there while we ice a team of 19yr olds for the next 5 yrs.

I'm sure you wanted to move Gabby last year too? If you say yes then you're a fool.
this team can barely pot in 2 goals a game and you want to move our only top 3 forward. last year he kept us from being a lottery team practically.

stick to xbox.

Haven't played video games since the original Nintendo, but good try, little boy.

If you don't realize that goalies on average last longer than forwards, you really should not be discussing hockey.

And as for being harmed this year, yes, I realize that. I also realize that if we traded for vets, it would help us. But both are irrelevant to me because I know we won't win this year, and we probably won't get out of the first round. (We'll be underdogs in the first round according to all betting agencies.)

The goal is not to do "ok" this year. Not sure if you know, but immediate gratification is not exactly a sign of intelligence. Going for those extra 2 playoff game wins at the expense of a Cup in a few years is not a good sign. Not at all.

So long as we are not winning the Cup, I would rather have a younger player than an older one, especially since we have so many prospects about Schenn's age.

Let me tell you this: the Rangers will not win the Cup while Gabby is in his prime. But if he could bring us a player who can help us win in 3-5 years, I would be really excited.

In a couple of years, when Step, MDZ, etc. mature, you'll see me reverse my position and argue that we should trade prospects we drafted in 2013 for older vets who can help us win immediately.

But that's because at that point the team will actually be in position to win the Cup, and will need 1-2 additions on the second line or on the second pairing to actually get there.

Last edited by Beacon: 01-23-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:45 AM
McNashty
HATERS GON' HATE!

Send a message via AIM to McNashty Send a message via MSN to McNashty
lolwut

McNashty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:13 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Nearly every year since the lockout the NYR have iced a team that has barely managed to pot 2g a game, yet you want to move the only goal scorer the team has for kid who's never played in the nhl so that he can "grow" with our overhyped young players for the next 4-5 yrs?

then we'll be "ready"...
No, I never said I wanted to move him. You must be thinking of someone else.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:14 AM
GarretJoseph*

Gabby isn't gonna be moved.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:29 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
That's what I was thinking. You got to listen at that point.

Hickey is a slug and Johnson is badly overrated.

Not anxious to trade Gabby but heck, Gretzky was traded. Gabby could be too.
I'm not looking to trade Gaborik, either, but, you listen to what LA is willing to offer. Like I said, my demands start with Schenn and Forbort.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:56 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I'm not looking to trade Gaborik, either, but, you listen to what LA is willing to offer. Like I said, my demands start with Schenn and Forbort.
Schenn, Forbort, Simmonds, and a 2nd! lol

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 08:00 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Schenn, Forbort, Simmonds, and a 2nd! lol
I know you're joking, but, I'm pretty sure Simmonds is just about untouchable for the Kings...he's the LA equivalent of Callahan.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 08:07 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I know you're joking, but, I'm pretty sure Simmonds is just about untouchable for the Kings...he's the LA equivalent of Callahan.
Except that Simmonds is not even close to as good a player Callahan is. I honestly wouldn't even want him back in a Gaborik deal, considering our RW depth would be made up of borderline top-6 grinders. I'd prefer a Justin Williams if is absolutely HAD to happen.

01-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Ranger Angst

This can't be true , Lombardi's looking for scoring & he calls the Rangers ???. Just kidding ,I would definitely trade Gab & Drury for Schenn.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:23 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Angst View Post
This can't be true , Lombardi's looking for scoring & he calls the Rangers ???. Just kidding ,I would definitely trade Gab & Drury for Schenn.
Marian Gaborik: 552 points in 614 career games

Brayden Schenn: 2 points in 9 career games

Totally hope Lombardi is dumb enough to make that deal, bro.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
To prevent Gaborik from going to L.A., I'm guessing other teams in the West would get involved vying for his services as well. I'd be (at the very least), just interested to see how much we could get from one of those teams out there.
Dallas?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Tonni

Maybe D.Brown and J.Johnson for Gaborik

Tonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:15 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonni View Post
Maybe D.Brown and J.Johnson for Gaborik
I would love JJ on the Rangers, but the Rangers could use a right d-man over another left d-man. I would take him in a heart beat in a trade, though.

Schenn, Johnson, and Forbert for Gaborik and Gilroy!

Old
01-23-2011, 10:39 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Except that Simmonds is not even close to as good a player Callahan is. I honestly wouldn't even want him back in a Gaborik deal, considering our RW depth would be made up of borderline top-6 grinders. I'd prefer a Justin Williams if is absolutely HAD to happen.
You don't watch many LA Kings games do you. Simmonds is a power forward who is that teams Dubinsky. He is a better fighter than Dubi and has the offensive skill to match. If you would rather take Justin I-can't-stay-healthy Williams over Wayne Simmonds it is obvious you don't catch many LA games.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:41 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Gabby had a good year last year and he is tremendously talented guy (top 5 in offensive talent in the world). In terms of actual effectivity, as others have pointed out, he is streaky and he gets injured. Can we really count on Gabby playing 70+ games every year for the next 2-3 years? After that I think we know he will start to break down.

Given those circumstances, I think you have to listen to what other teams have to offer. If they are willing to overpay and give up the goods it would take to get a normal world class talent (as in, they forget about injury and consistency issues) then you really have to consider it.

I don't know if Schenn and Forbort is enough, but you start at something like that and then negotiate to get some draft picks. Ideally you get something back to help us this year as well.

Not an easy deal to make given that both LA and we want to make the playoffs this year, but you have to listen. And, Sather probably disagrees since GMs almost always think about the now, but if a team is willing to overpay with prospects and draft picks only, I still think about doing it, even if it might cost us the playoffs this year. My only issue with that is that Lundqvist is in his prime and sacrificing now for later might be a bad signal to him.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:57 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Angst View Post
Huh?

And I'm not sure why everyone seems so willing to deal Gaborik. The guy still has a ton of talent. Some of these proposals are quite amusing though. I'd rather have the well established sniper Gaborik than really anything the Kings have.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:02 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Huh?

And I'm not sure why everyone seems so willing to deal Gaborik. The guy still has a ton of talent. Some of these proposals are quite amusing though. I'd rather have the well established sniper Gaborik than really anything the Kings have.
I don't think you can ignore the injury history and consistency issues. We all knew what we were getting with Gabby, that's why his contract is less than it would be if there were no trouble spots. So no problems with him as a player, but if someone is willing to pay like there are no issues because they are desperate... you have to think it over.

And really, you wouldn't want Kopitar, JJ, Doughty? Not that the Kings would trade these guys.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:06 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
I don't think you can ignore the injury history and consistency issues. We all knew what we were getting with Gabby, that's why his contract is less than it would be if there were no trouble spots. So no problems with him as a player, but if someone is willing to pay like there are no issues because they are desperate... you have to think it over.

And really, you wouldn't want Kopitar, JJ, Doughty? Not that the Kings would trade these guys.
LOL. But thats the thing though those guys wont be offered. Trading Gaborik for young guys would set us back. Because then we'd be banking on dubinsky and co. to handle the scoring load while waiting for those younger players like Schenn and Frobort to fully hit their potential. There also would be no point in signing Brad Richards (though I dont want him anyways) because why would we be bringing him here if gaborik is gone. So basically your spending a season of waiting when you couldve been competing with what you had while having our own prospects (Grachev, Hagelin, Horak, Werek, Kreider, etc) compete for spots. I just dont see the logic in any move. I understand he has an injury history but I'd rather take my chances with him on the roster than with him not on it.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

for all i care, throw MDZ in there. Gabby + MDZ + 2nd rounder for Schenn + Johnson + 3rd rounder. Gabby is just not cutting it anymore, Torts has said it and isn't giving him any slack just because his name is Gaborik, i would rather trade him for some very, i mean very, promising youth. Schenn is the next Stamkos IMO

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:37 AM
NYRangers16

The reason why you'd take the young guys + picks is not just the talent but also the cap hits. Not only would we add one of the best offemsive prospects in the NHL but we'd also be saving ourselves serious cash. That's money that can be used to go out and get a Richards or can be used to avquire anybody we want over the next year. We might take a hit to oyr scoring this year but by next year we'd have Richards over Gabby(i think easy to call that a win) plus we'd get Schenn and picks, putting us way ahead by as soon as July 1st. This is how you accumulate talent. Even if you disagree over the need for Richards - it gives us 7.5m next offseason that we dont currently have, along with the 7m the following year from Drury, along with Schenn. Thinking beyond just the next 5 months, I think this is easilly a win for us. Of course the key is Sather using the money on the right guys. Just looking at this offseason we could subtract Gabby and add Richards, Byfuglien and also have Schenn. Are you telling me you wouldn't sacrifice the playoffs this year in order to do that? Seems very shortsighted. (additionally Drury's money could be used to keep the team together the next year, plus we add in our prospects).

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:46 AM
dynamoovechkin

Yeah, if other teams call, you listen, but I want Gabby on this team. He is the sniper and lethal threat we need, injuries or not. I actually think he fits here, regardless of the injuries and scoring drop off this year.

That said, if he was moved, I would insist that Dru is part of the deal and that Schenn come back. In listening to my friends in LA who follow that team, no way in he11 do they move Simmonds. He is an emerging star on a team that has underperformed so far this year.

Dru would presumably accept a trade to LA, where he has a home.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:52 AM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
The reason why you'd take the young guys + picks is not just the talent but also the cap hits. Not only would we add one of the best offemsive prospects in the NHL but we'd also be saving ourselves serious cash. That's money that can be used to go out and get a Richards or can be used to avquire anybody we want over the next year. We might take a hit to oyr scoring this year but by next year we'd have Richards over Gabby(i think easy to call that a win) plus we'd get Schenn and picks, putting us way ahead by as soon as July 1st. This is how you accumulate talent. Even if you disagree over the need for Richards - it gives us 7.5m next offseason that we dont currently have, along with the 7m the following year from Drury, along with Schenn. Thinking beyond just the next 5 months, I think this is easilly a win for us. Of course the key is Sather using the money on the right guys. Just looking at this offseason we could subtract Gabby and add Richards, Byfuglien and also have Schenn. Are you telling me you wouldn't sacrifice the playoffs this year in order to do that? Seems very shortsighted. (additionally Drury's money could be used to keep the team together the next year, plus we add in our prospects).
That part makes no sense. Without a doubt Schenn would be coming back this way since that's our serious need. So at that point, we'd have Schenn, Stepan and Anisimov at C. Then you would sign Richards????? Yea if Richards signed for 1 year but guess what, he's getting 5+.

You also don't make a trade with LA and not get Schenn just because you think you might get Richards in the offseason.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:52 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
If you were running a business and had the potential to earn tens of millions of dollars more in a year with your best employee who's a known quantity and still in his prime years, would you fire him to you could hiring a couple new up and coming workers who may be as good as the original employee a couple of years down the road?

It's not that great on an analogy, but the Rangers would end up losing tens of millions of dollars, if not more, if they did not make the playoffs. I don't think Dolan and co would like that very much.

Old
01-23-2011, 12:13 PM
xxxZENxxx

While I am usually the first one to downplay any rumors, this one could have some legitimacy. Maybe not the part about what LA is willing to give up, but just the fact that LA called about Gaborik. It really is no surprise at all, given Dean Lombardi's need for a top-line wing. He has been searching/bidding for players to play with Kopitar for the last several years and has come up short every time.

I love Gaborik, but if they offer the sun... Sather has to listen, even if it hurts the team's playoff chances. That being said, the chance of a deal of that magnitude occurring is quite unlikely.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote