HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings inquired about Marian Gaborik

Old
01-23-2011, 12:23 PM
ecemleafs

vCash: 500
i would only trade him if both schenn and johnson/brown were coming back, but they wouldnt be so hes not getting traded.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
While I am usually the first one to downplay any rumors, this one could have some legitimacy. Maybe not the part about what LA is willing to give up, but just the fact that LA called about Gaborik. It really is no surprise at all, given Dean Lombardi's need for a top-line wing. He has been searching/bidding for players to play with Kopitar for the last several years and has come up short every time.

I love Gaborik, but if they offer the sun... Sather has to listen, even if it hurts the team's playoff chances. That being said, the chance of a deal of that magnitude occurring is quite unlikely.
You see though, in my opinion, it wont hurt our playoff chances IMO because Gaborik hasn't been doing jack. It's not like last year where trading Gaborik would land us last place in the East, trading him i think would benefit us.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:41 PM
orland

Sather has to be intrigued with the prospect of dumping Gaborik's salary at this juncture; especially for quality and youth. While Gaborik was great last year he has been mediocre this year and at his age and injury history his large remaining contract into his later years could be yet another disastrous big long term contract to a forward. In fact hasn't every such Sather signing been a blunder. One could certain think that Gaborik's best years may be behind him.

orland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers4life10 View Post
You see though, in my opinion, it wont hurt our playoff chances IMO because Gaborik hasn't been doing jack. It's not like last year where trading Gaborik would land us last place in the East, trading him i think would benefit us.
It's Hockey, and Gaborik is one of the elite. If you dont think that an elite goal scorer will help us in the playoffs, even if he steps his game up a little then...

Never mind, but its gonna be hard to keep getting contributions from everyone all the time. It helps the team greatly having such a great player in the lineup. It draws the other teams top line every game.

It's really annoying how much of bandwagon fans there are here saying to trade gaborik for an unproven prospect. Do you know how stupid that sounds? I'm not at all defending the season that he has had, but really the trade talks are kinda unnecessary.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:03 PM
orland

Certainly for this year's run we are better off with Gaby. However - there is a significant risk that his contract could turn Drury-like towards the end of its term. Sather seems to have finally gotten this religion after so many years of blunder after blunder. Moreover - his strength seems to be picking up the lesser lights who turn into significant contributors - Boyle, Prust, Emminger, etc. A couple more for Gaby and his $7.5 million contract wouldn't be bad.

orland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:17 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
It's really annoying how much of bandwagon fans there are here saying to trade gaborik for an unproven prospect. Do you know how stupid that sounds? I'm not at all defending the season that he has had, but really the trade talks are kinda unnecessary.
Well, just because someone disagrees doesn't make them bandwagon fans. In addition, I don't think I have seen many arguing for trading an unproven prospect rather. Rather, most seem to suggest that a deal should be considered if it is clear that LA is paying a premium, either multiple prospects and picks, or a solid NHL player, plus prospects/picks.

I don't think it sounds stupid, the arguments are legitimate. Gaborik cannot be considered to be untouchable given his age (though not ancient by any means, he will soon be 29, he has been in the league since 18, and his speed is a big part of what makes him an elite talent) and history. So, it is possible that Sather could find a deal that makes sense and decide to move on it. Probably not, but it is possible.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I wouldnt be so fast to call Schenn an unproven prospect, the kid had 18 points, 11 goals at the WJC this year and has 99 points last year in 59 games in the WHL, this kid is gonna be good NYRfan1823

Old
01-23-2011, 01:43 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
I wouldnt be so fast to call Schenn an unproven prospect, the kid had 18 points, 11 goals at the WJC this year and has 99 points last year in 59 games in the WHL, this kid is gonna be good NYRfan1823
Yes it is, he hasn't proven a thing in the NHL, and he's a prospect.

There's really nothing to argue.

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:53 PM
HoosierDaddy

Good post BB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Yes, I'm so enthusiastic about moving our 40 goal winger! Yeah! Prospects! Cap space! WOOHOO!

I don't get it. He's struggling with his confidence, so we should trade him? He doesn't even have anyone to get him the puck.
This!

Move a PROVEN goal scorer for a shiny new prospect plus a 2nd? I would demand one of Doughty, Johnson or Brown coming back. Straight up for Doughty, add a 1st or 2nd rounder for the others. Maybe throw in a Simmonds and send back one of our 2nds.

You a right. Gabby has no one to feed him the puck and still puts up numbers. Some are now complaining he only scores against pond scum, Jeez! Is he brittle? Yeah. So are a bunch of other players- What if Shiney Shenn is also brittle? Or a Brendel/Lundmark?

I honestly do not believe I see another Cup in my lifetime.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ArtemAnisimov42

gaborik hasnt done anything this year for us. i think a trade to a western conference team would do him some good. i just want schenn or tyler toffoli in return

ArtemAnisimov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

isn't every player unproven though. think about it, Crosby was unproven, Ovechkin was unproven, Stamkos was unproven.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:57 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Haven't played video games since the original Nintendo, but good try, little boy.

If you don't realize that goalies on average last longer than forwards, you really should not be discussing hockey.

And as for being harmed this year, yes, I realize that. I also realize that if we traded for vets, it would help us. But both are irrelevant to me because I know we won't win this year, and we probably won't get out of the first round. (We'll be underdogs in the first round according to all betting agencies.)

The goal is not to do "ok" this year. Not sure if you know, but immediate gratification is not exactly a sign of intelligence. Going for those extra 2 playoff game wins at the expense of a Cup in a few years is not a good sign. Not at all.

So long as we are not winning the Cup, I would rather have a younger player than an older one, especially since we have so many prospects about Schenn's age.

Let me tell you this: the Rangers will not win the Cup while Gabby is in his prime. But if he could bring us a player who can help us win in 3-5 years, I would be really excited.

In a couple of years, when Step, MDZ, etc. mature, you'll see me reverse my position and argue that we should trade prospects we drafted in 2013 for older vets who can help us win immediately.

But that's because at that point the team will actually be in position to win the Cup, and will need 1-2 additions on the second line or on the second pairing to actually get there.
I realize that goalies last longer than forwards, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Henrik will thrive year after year in a system that barely scores 2g a game for nearly five years, and another projected 4-5 years cultivating 19 yr old talent.

I also realize the importance of youth in any winning team, but you have to have a good balance
of talented older players who can lead by example, through WINNING, or you end up like the Islanders with a team of indians running around.

Just so we're clear here, you're saying the NYR won't win a cup with Gaborik in his prime (3-5 yrs) but they will win one with Schenn who has never played in the NHL yet in that same time frame? I strongly disagree. I don't believe this line up can win a cup, but I also think they'd do better than a first round exit if healthy. With the right additions on offense and defense we can contend within the next 1-3 yrs imo.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:02 PM
lebear
I have no idea

Quote:
isn't every player unproven though. think about it, Crosby was unproven, Ovechkin was unproven, Stamkos was unproven.
Obviously, but the difference between Gaborik and an unproven, potential superstar, is just that - he's unproved. There are so many talents that simply vanish for some reason or another. He could be the next Crosby, or maybe not. Are you willing to risk it in this case?

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebear View Post
Obviously, but the difference between Gaborik and an unproven, potential superstar, is just that - he's unproved. There are so many talents that simply vanish for some reason or another. He could be the next Crosby, or maybe not. Are you willing to risk it in this case?
To be honest, with the way Gabby is playing this year, and more importantly how well this team has played without Gabby producing, yes. They have really come together as a team and are playing excellent hockey, and looking at Schenn's numbers and great potential, i would do it

Old
01-23-2011, 02:11 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
To be honest, with the way Gabby is playing this year, and more importantly how well this team has played without Gabby producing, yes. They have really come together as a team and are playing excellent hockey, and looking at Schenn's numbers and great potential, i would do it
And with the way Gaborik was playing last year supplementing this team we're challenging for top of the division, IMO.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
And with the way Gaborik was playing last year supplementing this team we're challenging for top of the division, IMO.
No way we are challenging for top of the division, Philly has already pulled away. unless we go on a 6 game winning streak and they go on a 6 game losing streak at the same time, with the pens also losing 6 in a row, no chance we win our division, this year. Next year, who knows...

Old
01-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
Well, just because someone disagrees doesn't make them bandwagon fans. In addition, I don't think I have seen many arguing for trading an unproven prospect rather. Rather, most seem to suggest that a deal should be considered if it is clear that LA is paying a premium, either multiple prospects and picks, or a solid NHL player, plus prospects/picks.

I don't think it sounds stupid, the arguments are legitimate. Gaborik cannot be considered to be untouchable given his age (though not ancient by any means, he will soon be 29, he has been in the league since 18, and his speed is a big part of what makes him an elite talent) and history. So, it is possible that Sather could find a deal that makes sense and decide to move on it. Probably not, but it is possible.
When Im saying bandwagon fans what I mean is if you go back 3 months. No one here would consider trading Gaborik. If he gets it clicking this team can do damage the next couple years.

And I do like Schenn a lot, he has proven he can play in other leagues and in the WJC. He has not preoven he can play in the NHL..

So to trade a legit superstar 1 year removed from his best season in the NHL, in a sport where you can play well into your 30's. He doesnt play a very physical tolling game either. And trade him for an unproven prospect, isnt very smart.

Although I dont agree with people saying a proven NHLer in Brown/Kopitar +Schenn+,, then obviously you take it. But you wont get a deal like that.

Old
01-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
No way we are challenging for top of the division, Philly has already pulled away. unless we go on a 6 game winning streak and they go on a 6 game losing streak at the same time, with the pens also losing 6 in a row, no chance we win our division, this year. Next year, who knows...
He meant if Gaborik was healthy all year, and playing like he was last year, we could have challenged for the division this year.

Old
01-23-2011, 02:18 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Yes it is, he hasn't proven a thing in the NHL, and he's a prospect.

There's really nothing to argue.
If Schenn is to be called a prospect, Grachev is to be called a quarter of a prospect. At least according to the current prevailing wisdom.

If you think we can win a Cup with Gaborik you hold on to him. If not, you don't hesitate to move him (and that big, fat contract) in a deal if you think it helps long-term.

Schenn and Simmonds isn't enough because it ensures that this team won't compete for another couple of years, and you can't sell that to your fans, but in real-value, I'd do it.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:20 PM
ecemleafs

people should also think about how having gaborik on our team allows the rest of our lines to play against other teams weaker defense pairings/checking lines. gaborik draws the other teams top shut down pairing every time hes on the ice. without gaborik than the step line or dubi line would be getting those d-pairings every night.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
If Schenn is to be called a prospect, Grachev is to be called a quarter of a prospect. At least according to the current prevailing wisdom.

If you think we can win a Cup with Gaborik you hold on to him. If not, you don't hesitate to move him (and that big, fat contract) in a deal if you think it helps long-term.

Schenn and Simmonds isn't enough because it ensures that this team won't compete for another couple of years, and you can't sell that to your fans, but in real-value, I'd do it.
We havent seen what the combo of Gaborik+Hank+Staal/Girardi+ our new "identity" and work ethic can do.

Dont trade gabby lets see what he can do in the playoffs for us.

Old
01-23-2011, 02:48 PM
RangerBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
We havent seen what the combo of Gaborik+Hank+Staal/Girardi+ our new "identity" and work ethic can do.

Dont trade gabby lets see what he can do in the playoffs for us.
I do not see Gaborik face as the identity of this team at all. Not in his personality or play.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
I do not see Gaborik face as the identity of this team at all. Not in his personality or play.
I didnt say he fit the identity perfectly. Please actually read the post before responding.

I said we haven't seen in the playoffs what Gaborik +Hank + Staal/Girardi+The rest of our team and their new identity can do.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:28 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Dallas?
No way. LH shots in their forward group: Eriksson, Neal, Morrow, Ribeiro, Richards, Benn, Ott, and Sutherby.

That'd give the Stars 3 LH RWs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
You don't watch many LA Kings games do you. Simmonds is a power forward who is that teams Dubinsky. He is a better fighter than Dubi and has the offensive skill to match. If you would rather take Justin I-can't-stay-healthy Williams over Wayne Simmonds it is obvious you don't catch many LA games.
Simmonds is nowhere near as talented as Dubinsky. He doesn't have the raw speed, especially. He is basically a lesser version of Callahan at the moment. He'll likely turn into a 50 point grinder that every team covets. Of course I would like him on the Rangers, but if we were dealing Gaborik, I'd want some skill back off the right side as well, and Williams brings that. He's been pretty awesome this year, he's bounced back real well from his previous in injuries.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 01-23-2011 at 06:12 PM.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:37 PM
RangerBlues

Well if there is a deal to be made with the Kings it's gonna happen soon cause the Senators just announced a fire sale as did the Panthers and the Flames might be close behind.
The Devils have players they might move.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote