HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tallon Ready To Clean House

Old
01-23-2011, 05:28 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Hockey View Post
What's your problem with the term "cleaning house".
Well, my main problem with it as a confirmed lazy slob is it implys the dirty four letter word "work".

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 08:04 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

I have no problems moving out the other guys mentioned, but not Weiss. He is one of the guys you need to keep. I understand Tallon saying that Weiss is available, but I think Tallon did that just to try to draw a market for him. The return on Weiss could be very nice, and I think Tallon just wants to see if he can land some mega package for Weiss. Otherwise, I think he keeps Weiss. Weiss is my favorite Panther and I would hate to see him traded as he's said he wants to be here and wants to see this thing through. But guys like Stillman, Higgins, Olesz, they need to go.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:31 AM
gizmo12688

Unless we can get an amazing return for Weiss, I'd rather hang on to him and let him be the captain he deserves to be.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Two4Fighting

I am managing my expectations.
This team has made improvements especially in the defensive zone, there will be additions by subtraction, the notion that Dale Tallon is going to clean house would mean that he will be starting from zero.

Two4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4Fighting View Post
I am managing my expectations.
This team has made improvements especially in the defensive zone, there will be additions by subtraction, the notion that Dale Tallon is going to clean house would mean that he will be starting from zero.
Not necessarily zero but close to it. I think Tallon sees, on the present roster, Kulikov, Ellerby, Santorelli, Frolik, Dadonov and Matthias as players, all 25 or younger, that could still be here when the Panthers are ready to be consistent playoff participants.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:33 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
What's the price on Reasoner?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Trading Weiss for picks and prospects would be the last straw with this team with many fans I think. They can't do that move.
Agreed, Weiss has been a consistent soloid player who wants to be here, has a fair contract, and is still young. He is a second line center playing agains the other team's top dmen. Get a real number one and keep him at two. no way you trade Weiss unless you get a stud number one center and the other team insists on Weiss as part of the deal. For picks, it would be insulting to fans.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:11 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
You can't make players untouchable on a squad this lousy. You just can't. Whatever it takes, do it.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:24 PM
RainingRats

Weiss, if traded, would most likely be traded during the offseason unless Boston wants to part with their two first round picks to fill the Savard void. We'll be in a full on rebuild mode if we trade him, imo. Weiss for his contract and production is too valuable. One of the better contracts in the league. I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded after next season if things haven't improved.

I like Reasoner a lot but he should be traded if we can get a second round pick for him. We can always try to sign him in the offseason. Same for Dvorak. It might feel good to have him retire as a Panther but I'd say we have a very good shot of re-signing as well in the offseason after we trade him.

We can't lose sight of our current strategy. Acquire as many picks and prospects as possible to force players to compete for spots and have these extra picks and prospects to move at the trade deadline to improve the team when we're in a position to make the playoffs.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:43 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Agreed, Weiss has been a consistent soloid player who wants to be here, has a fair contract, and is still young. He is a second line center playing agains the other team's top dmen. Get a real number one and keep him at two. no way you trade Weiss unless you get a stud number one center and the other team insists on Weiss as part of the deal. For picks, it would be insulting to fans.
Getting a number #1 center is easier said than done. It's no piece of cake. You go the supermarket to buy a lemon, you return with two melons. I could spout several more wonderful phrases.

Weiss is an attractive asset to teams, but by no means does he represent this asset that would in return acquire us this magical package. I think people overstate what Weiss is ; a solid Top 6 player who will be 28 in 3 months. News flash, 28 isn't young.

By the way, GP ; 5 years away? What on earth are you smoking? You do realize weed is a young mans drug. Go home and pop some sleeping pills old man. It is entirely debatable if we ever make the playoffs again, but the time line for this rebuild is 2-3 years. Colorado turned it around quickly. Chicago after years of what we went through did one in 2 years. Washingtons took 3. Not to sure on LA (it felt like a never ending stockpiling of elite prospects!). 3 1st round picks in 2010, likely a numerical comparative in 2011 and maybe 2012 on top of the existing farm system. I'd assume Tallon wants to be in the playoff mix within 2-3 years MAX. Whether he can actually accomplish it is something else altogether.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Getting a number #1 center is easier said than done. It's no piece of cake. You go the supermarket to buy a lemon, you return with two melons. I could spout several more wonderful phrases.

Weiss is an attractive asset to teams, but by no means does he represent this asset that would in return acquire us this magical package. I think people overstate what Weiss is ; a solid Top 6 player who will be 28 in 3 months. News flash, 28 isn't young.

By the way, GP ; 5 years away? What on earth are you smoking? You do realize weed is a young mans drug. Go home and pop some sleeping pills old man. It is entirely debatable if we ever make the playoffs again, but the time line for this rebuild is 2-3 years. Colorado turned it around quickly. Chicago after years of what we went through did one in 2 years. Washingtons took 3. Not to sure on LA (it felt like a never ending stockpiling of elite prospects!). 3 1st round picks in 2010, likely a numerical comparative in 2011 and maybe 2012 on top of the existing farm system. I'd assume Tallon wants to be in the playoff mix within 2-3 years MAX. Whether he can actually accomplish it is something else altogether.
I agree number one centers are almost impossible to come by, my point exactly. That is the only scenarion in which you trade your only legitimate number two center when you don't even have a number one.

Again, low expectations. In a league where 16 teams make the playoffs, making the playoffs should have been the goal this year. Atlanta for example made the quick jump. Ten years, a record, is beyond dissapointing, it is unexcusable, laughable, pitiful, disgraceful and insulting to all of us. A two to three year plan is also insulting. this whole blueprint is just more years of no accountability. hopefully Tallon snaps us out of it but if he doesn't, then after three more years the next guy will come in and tell us about his three year plan and our top young players coming up.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:01 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
I agree number one centers are almost impossible to come by, my point exactly. That is the only scenarion in which you trade your only legitimate number two center when you don't even have a number one.

Again, low expectations. In a league where 16 teams make the playoffs, making the playoffs should have been the goal this year. Atlanta for example made the quick jump. Ten years, a record, is beyond dissapointing, it is unexcusable, laughable, pitiful, disgraceful and insulting to all of us. A two to three year plan is also insulting. this whole blueprint is just more years of no accountability. hopefully Tallon snaps us out of it but if he doesn't, then after three more years the next guy will come in and tell us about his three year plan and our top young players coming up.
We get it, you're angry and frustrated. We all are. How does a plan lack accountability?

Old
01-23-2011, 01:09 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
We get it, you're angry and frustrated. We all are. How does a plan lack accountability?
From a STH perspective, I completely agree with him.

When our organization has no star players, is going to set the NHL record for consecutive years out of the playoffs, and yet still has the brazenness to raise prices based on a "blueprint," there should definitely be something more than just waiting for 2-3 more seasons while Tallon's prospects develop.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:11 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post

When our organization has no star players, is going to set the NHL record for consecutive years out of the playoffs, and yet still has the brazenness to raise prices based on a "blueprint," there should definitely be something more than just waiting for 2-3 more seasons while Tallon's prospects develop.
Provide a realistic alternative. Seriously. Suggest a way you build a consistent winning team that is different than what Tallon is doing.

Old
Erick

Quote:
Well, it offers no accountability for the next couple of years.
If the team makes the playoffs yipee; if it doesn't, Tallon's not held accountable because his "blueprint" said it would take time.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
You can't make players untouchable on a squad this lousy. You just can't. Whatever it takes, do it.
This lousy team that is 8pts from a playoff spot and hasn't lost in regulation in 6 games?

I'm not saying we're going to make the playoffs, or that this team is above average, but sometimes i think our 10+years of frustration can kinda cloud the fact that we're one winning streak away from the playoffs.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:13 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Well, it offers no accountability for the next couple of years.
If the team makes the playoffs yipee; if it doesn't, Tallon's not held accountable because his "blueprint" said it would take time.
No, the accountability is if he diverts from the plan. Of course failure is possible. Does anyone actually think this is a guarantee?

Old
01-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post

Exactly, a different perspective when you have a monetary commitment and this promise has no clear timeline.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:16 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Exactly, a different perspective when you have a monetary commitment and this promise has no clear timeline.
Maybe it doesn't have a clear time line because Tallon cannot predict the future?

Nobody forces you to buy season tickets.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Erick

Quote:
No, the accountability is if he diverts from the plan. Of course failure is possible. Does anyone actually think this is a guarantee?
Sports aren't about plans; they're about results. Tallon will be held accountable, based on his results. If he fails, it doesn't really matter whether or not he stuck to his "plan." The fanbase doesn't really care about the plan, itself. They're going to hold him accountable, based on whether or not the plan works.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Provide a realistic alternative. Seriously. Suggest a way you build a consistent winning team that is different than what Tallon is doing.
You can make smart picks, make some prudent free agent signings and make a couple of bold moves. Bring in some scorers, don't trade them away. The NHL is the most trade crazy sport and we are never involved until we are giving away players at the deadline or at the draft. The blackhawks had to clean house and we got no one from them. It looks like we aren't even trying. Even Gudbranson, how is it that his agent is the greedy one? and to say that publicly? If he is so greedy what will change next year? He'll actually want more to make up for the lost year. Get him signed, we could have used him. I'm not sure if he's debouer's type though, he actually likes to hit and even fight once in a while. We can't have that.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:20 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Sports aren't about plans; they're about results. Tallon will be held accountable, based on his results. If he fails, it doesn't really matter whether or not he stuck to his "plan." The fanbase doesn't really care about the plan, itself. They're going to hold him accountable, based on whether or not the plan works.

Building a consistent winning franchise needs a plan. Results and plans are two different things. The plan if followed should more than likely lead to positive results. I don't know why you're saying what you're saying.

Of course we want this team to win but ownership wants this transparency to show the fans what it plans on doing. By building through the draft and stockpiling picks and prospects this will hopefully lay the foundation for a consistent winner.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:23 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
You can make smart picks, make some prudent free agent signings and make a couple of bold moves. Bring in some scorers, don't trade them away. The NHL is the most trade crazy sport and we are never involved until we are giving away players at the deadline or at the draft. The blackhawks had to clean house and we got no one from them. It looks like we aren't even trying. Even Gudbranson, how is it that his agent is the greedy one? and to say that publicly? If he is so greedy what will change next year? He'll actually want more to make up for the lost year. Get him signed, we could have used him. I'm not sure if he's debouer's type though, he actually likes to hit and even fight once in a while. We can't have that.
I think Tallon has made smart picks. Prudent free agent signings? Weaver. Bold moves? Santo, Weaver, trading Ballard(got rid of a huge contract), Horton(get rid of the lazy players). Stop with the Blackhawks. We can't be involved in every trade. The trade wasn't just for Buf.

Guds needed another year in Juniors. His offensive game would haven't developed like it seems to have down there. Plus we saved a year on his ELC. Seems to be the right move. Terrible joke you made there at the end.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Maybe it doesn't have a clear time line because Tallon cannot predict the future?

Nobody forces you to buy season tickets.
He can control his future to a large extent, otherwise why is he here? If he has no timeline how can it be a blueprint? My point exactly, NO ACOUNTABILITY in the near future.

I buy them because I choose to, thus far, and what I am saying is that my commitment is that much greater and justifies my opinions that much more as a legitimate stake holder.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:27 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
and how do you reach results? Plans.

The fanbase has to care about the plan, because it is this plan that provides our only current opportunity to eventually do something.

This plan may or may not work. But you have a plan and in the current predicament our organisation finds itself in asset wise, a 2-3 year plan cannot be avoided. Accountability is a rather useless word here. It means nothing. What we need is someone who can actually asset manage, man manage and time manage within his vision (A plan). Playing the blame game is fruitless.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote