HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tallon Ready To Clean House

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2011, 01:28 PM
  #51
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
He can control his future to a large extent, otherwise why is he here? If he has no timeline how can it be a blueprint? My point exactly, NO ACOUNTABILITY in the near future.

I buy them because I choose to, thus far, and what I am saying is that my commitment is that much greater and justifies my opinions that much more as a legitimate stake holder.
The time line is implied. You actually think they have hard deadlines? The blueprint is a combination of marketing and a legitimate plan. Give it a rest. There will definitely be accountability. If this team still sucks in a couple of years Tallon will probably be fired.

The fact that you buy season tickets gives your opinion no more credibility or clout. There are people here who wake up at 2a.m. to watch this team night in and night out. Some people can't afford them, some people are smart enough not to buy them(lol), and some people don't live anywhere near the arena so to somehow suggest that you have a greater commitment to this team because of a completely voluntary purchase is ridiculous especially since it seems to cloud your judgment and reasoning.

RainingRats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:28 PM
  #52
Slick Cat
Registered User
 
Slick Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I think Tallon has made smart picks. Prudent free agent signings? Weaver. Bold moves? Santo, Weaver, trading Ballard(got rid of a huge contract), Horton(get rid of the lazy players). Stop with the Blackhawks. We can't be involved in every trade. The trade wasn't just for Buf.

Guds needed another year in Juniors. His offensive game would haven't developed like it seems to have down there. Plus we saved a year on his ELC. Seems to be the right move. Terrible joke you made there at the end.
Tallon has made some nice safe moves but we're still way off the playoffs and that should be the goal. Buff was not the only availble player on the cup winning hawks. Guds was needed and they couldn't sign him, even debouer was upset about it, which surprised me. To bash him and his agent publicly will not make for a smooth negotiation next time. The joke was well deserved based on debouer's history.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:31 PM
  #53
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Tallon has made some nice safe moves but we're still way off the playoffs and that should be the goal. Buff was not the only availble player on the cup winning hawks. Guds was needed and they couldn't sign him, even debouer was upset about it, which surprised me. To bash him and his agent publicly will not make for a smooth negotiation next time. The joke was well deserved based on debouer's history.
Why does it matter how much risk is involved if the moved turned out to be positive gain for this team? Stop complaining to complain.

Guds was not needed. I disagree. And as I explained it helped him develop his offensive game and saved a year on his contract. For a guy who hates the coach you have no idea how to spell his name.

RainingRats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:33 PM
  #54
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
and how do you reach results? Plans.

The fanbase has to care about the plan, because it is this plan that provides our only current opportunity to eventually do something.

This plan may or may not work. But you have a plan and in the current predicament our organisation finds itself in asset wise, a 2-3 year plan cannot be avoided. Accountability is a rather useless word here. It means nothing. What we need is someone who can actually asset manage, man manage and time manage within his vision (A plan). Playing the blame game is fruitless.
That's not my point.

My point was that Tallon won't be held accountable for his plan, but rather the results he produces with his plan, and how quickly he can turn it around. That's what fanbases do. All I'm saying.

Also, not to bring it up over and over again, but apparently "accountability" does matter a lot for this organization. If they were so concerned with asset management over accountability, Grabner would still be a Panther.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:33 PM
  #55
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
He can control his future to a large extent, otherwise why is he here? If he has no timeline how can it be a blueprint? My point exactly, NO ACOUNTABILITY in the near future.

I buy them because I choose to, thus far, and what I am saying is that my commitment is that much greater and justifies my opinions that much more as a legitimate stake holder.
1. Tallon has said time and time again, 2-3 years. Just think about our prospects. Bjugstad won't be here for at least another 2 years, and who knows who we'll draft this year, and what route they'll take to the NHL or what age they'll be, or how developed, etc..

2. Tallon can't give a very accurate timeline of the draft because he doesn't know what draft positions we'll have, who will be available at the deadline and FA, who will get injured, who will demand a trade, who will pan out, who will disappoint, etc etc etc.. there are probably 150million things that could change the blueprint over the course of a season. For example, what does Tallon do if we're in 7th place two days before the deadline? Believe it or not, it's a tough decision. So we can look to Tallon for a strong rebuild, but let's not demand that he walk on water or anything.

3. This is a forum, you don't have to justify your opinion to other posters. How much money you put in your season tix is up to you, and i'm sure the org appreciates it, but it doesn't validate your opinion than any panther fan that can't put money into the org because he lives in canada, or on the west coast or simply doesn't have the income. We're all fans, and that's justification enough to have an opinion. There's no hierarchy to it.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:34 PM
  #56
Habsfan 32
Registered User
 
Habsfan 32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Way up north...
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
hey guys my parents are going on vacation in fort lauderdale and I was curious as to how far the arena is from there

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:34 PM
  #57
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
That's not my point.

My point was that Tallon won't be held accountable for his plan, but rather the results he produces with his plan, and how quickly he can turn it around. That's what fanbases do. All I'm saying.

Also, not to bring it up over and over again, but apparently "accountability" does matter a lot for this organization. If they were so concerned with asset management over accountability, Grabner would still be a Panther.
I think you can't say this franchise doesn't hold GMs and coaches accountable. Look at all the coaches and GMs we have had.

RainingRats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:34 PM
  #58
Slick Cat
Registered User
 
Slick Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
The time line is implied. You actually think they have hard deadlines? The blueprint is a combination of marketing and a legitimate plan. Give it a rest. There will definitely be accountability. If this team still sucks in a couple of years Tallon will probably be fired.

The fact that you buy season tickets gives your opinion no more credibility or clout. There are people here who wake up at 2a.m. to watch this team night in and night out. Some people can't afford them, some people are smart enough not to buy them(lol), and some people don't live anywhere near the arena so to somehow suggest that you have a greater commitment to this team because of a completely voluntary purchase is ridiculous especially since it seems to cloud your judgment and reasoning.
Completely understand that not everyone can get tickets for a myriad of reasons, but as a vested stake holder my opinion has more weight. I write those checks, I am at the games watching the lack of interest in the fans faces, I am sitting in an arena full of montreal or rangers or toronto fans, I see these collapses first hand, not though the paid biased broadcasts. The pain is greater when you are vested when they lose and the joy is greater when we win, as it was in 96, so long ago.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:35 PM
  #59
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32 View Post
hey guys my parents are going on vacation in fort lauderdale and I was curious as to how far the arena is from there
Assuming they're as far East as possible, about 25/30 min by car.

RainingRats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:36 PM
  #60
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Completely understand that not everyone can get tickets for a myriad of reasons, but as a vested stake holder my opinion has more weight. I write those checks, I am at the games watching the lack of interest in the fans faces, I am sitting in an arena full of montreal or rangers or toronto fans, I see these collapses first hand, not though the paid biased broadcasts. The pain is greater when you are vested when they lose and the joy is greater when we win, as it was in 96, so long ago.
THEN DON'T RENEW YOUR TICKETS.

RainingRats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:38 PM
  #61
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Completely understand that not everyone can get tickets for a myriad of reasons, but as a vested stake holder my opinion has more weight. I write those checks, I am at the games watching the lack of interest in the fans faces, I am sitting in an arena full of montreal or rangers or toronto fans, I see these collapses first hand, not though the paid biased broadcasts. The pain is greater when you are vested when they lose and the joy is greater when we win, as it was in 96, so long ago.
As i just said, this is not true. You may feel like it is, but on a free message board, your opinion has no more weight than any other fan of the panthers. As i said, there's no hierarchy to it.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:38 PM
  #62
Slick Cat
Registered User
 
Slick Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Why does it matter how much risk is involved if the moved turned out to be positive gain for this team? Stop complaining to complain.

Guds was not needed. I disagree. And as I explained it helped him develop his offensive game and saved a year on his contract. For a guy who hates the coach you have no idea how to spell his name.
thanks for the spelling tip but I really could care less how to spell his name. this is not the place where I am concerned with grammar, writing style or punctuation.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:39 PM
  #63
Habsfan 32
Registered User
 
Habsfan 32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Way up north...
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Assuming they're as far East as possible, about 25/30 min by car.
thank you sir! they will probably go see the march 15th game against the flyers

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:39 PM
  #64
Slick Cat
Registered User
 
Slick Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I think you can't say this franchise doesn't hold GMs and coaches accountable. Look at all the coaches and GMs we have had.
how long was martin allowed to fail, as a coach and GM? And he left on his own. he might still be here, not making the playoffs

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:41 PM
  #65
Slick Cat
Registered User
 
Slick Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
THEN DON'T RENEW YOUR TICKETS.
I will, just because you say so.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:48 PM
  #66
Slick Cat
Registered User
 
Slick Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
As i just said, this is not true. You may feel like it is, but on a free message board, your opinion has no more weight than any other fan of the panthers. As i said, there's no hierarchy to it.
You are right, that is what I wrote but not what I intended. I stand corrected. All of our opinions are equally as valuable but I do beleive my involvement does offer another level of persepective though, and these are two different things.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:56 PM
  #67
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I think you can't say this franchise doesn't hold GMs and coaches accountable. Look at all the coaches and GMs we have had.
I never did.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:16 PM
  #68
panthersfan751
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Provide a realistic alternative. Seriously. Suggest a way you build a consistent winning team that is different than what Tallon is doing.
IMO Tallon should find some middle ground between waiting 3 years for prospects to develop and Burke's plan of rebuilding on the fly. He should absolutely place an emphasis on drafting, but he should sign some impact FA's or trade for an impact player. He did that in Chicago because he had to prove to the fanbase he was serious about winning. Acquiring Campbell, Hossa, Havlat, and Khabibulin is quite a bit more proof than signing Weaver, Santorelli, Reasoner, and Higgins.

While I certainly don't expect Tallon to have the monetary resources to sign a bunch of high-priced people here, there's no reason this organization can't go after ONE talented, 1st line player via trade or FA instead of always settling for role players.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:20 PM
  #69
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
IMO Tallon should find some middle ground between waiting 3 years for prospects to develop and Burke's plan of rebuilding on the fly. He should absolutely place an emphasis on drafting, but he should sign some impact FA's or trade for an impact player. He did that in Chicago because he had to prove to the fanbase he was serious about winning. Acquiring Campbell, Hossa, Havlat, and Khabibulin is quite a bit more proof than signing Weaver, Santorelli, Reasoner, and Higgins.

While I certainly don't expect Tallon to have the monetary resources to sign a bunch of high-priced people here, there's no reason this organization can't go after ONE talented, 1st line player via trade or FA instead of always settling for role players.
I understand what you're saying, but Burke's plan for rebuilding is "get rid of as many first round draft picks as possible and hope for the best." That team is so screwed because of Burke going after kessel. I get what he was trying to do, but it just hasn't worked out. It's a very low percentage philosophy and puts too much weight in the hands of free agents who have to choose to play for your team.

But i agree in general. I'd like to see what Tallon can do this year in FA.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:36 PM
  #70
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!
 
CatscratchFever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: O-hi-O
Country: United States
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
This lousy team that is 8pts from a playoff spot and hasn't lost in regulation in 6 games?

I'm not saying we're going to make the playoffs, or that this team is above average, but sometimes i think our 10+years of frustration can kinda cloud the fact that we're one winning streak away from the playoffs.

Are you talking about the streak that never, ever comes? Or the one that gets this team close enough to lose a tie-breaker for the playoffs? Or the ones that get your hope up, then crap the bed when you start to believe. Yes, 10 years has been a long time. So long, in fact, that I no longer care for any individual on this team (Booth does pretty much have an awesome head of hair and a great smile) And will not care who is jettisoned to try to improve the end product. The bottom line is, every GM has had a plan, this franchise has been in perpetual rebuild or semi-rebuild for 11 years now. The result is the same, no playoffs. And will be this season barring a miracle. Just keep waiting kitty cat fans we're gonna contend for not only the playoffs, but the Cup! annually. Someday. Maybe. When we get a better GM. Or coach. Or players. Or new owners. Or when we're playing in Portland Oregon. Your tattoos' gonna look like a turd then, huh? Dear hockey gods, must the suffering continue indefinitely for the rest of this fans life? Help me, please!

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:38 PM
  #71
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
Are you talking about the streak that never, ever comes? Or the one that gets this team close enough to lose a tie-breaker for the playoffs? Or the ones that get your hope up, then crap the bed when you start to believe. Yes, 10 years has been a long time. So long, in fact, that I no longer care for any individual on this team (Booth does pretty much have an awesome head of hair and a great smile) And will not care who is jettisoned to try to improve the end product. The bottom line is, every GM has had a plan, this franchise has been in perpetual rebuild or semi-rebuild for 11 years now. The result is the same, no playoffs. And will be this season barring a miracle. Just keep waiting kitty cat fans we're gonna contend for not only the playoffs, but the Cup! annually. Someday. Maybe. When we get a better GM. Or coach. Or players. Or new owners. Or when we're playing in Portland Oregon. Your tattoos' gonna look like a turd then, huh? Dear hockey gods, must the suffering continue indefinitely for the rest of this fans life? Help me, please!
Pretty much agree with all of this.

Except i have some faith in Tallon. And yeah, Booth's hair is amazing.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:45 PM
  #72
SufferingCatFan
Registered User
 
SufferingCatFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fort lauderdale
Country: United States
Posts: 1,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
IMO Tallon should find some middle ground between waiting 3 years for prospects to develop and Burke's plan of rebuilding on the fly. He should absolutely place an emphasis on drafting, but he should sign some impact FA's or trade for an impact player. He did that in Chicago because he had to prove to the fanbase he was serious about winning. Acquiring Campbell, Hossa, Havlat, and Khabibulin is quite a bit more proof than signing Weaver, Santorelli, Reasoner, and Higgins.

While I certainly don't expect Tallon to have the monetary resources to sign a bunch of high-priced people here, there's no reason this organization can't go after ONE talented, 1st line player via trade or FA instead of always settling for role players.
There are 2 major issues with the Panthers that stand in the way of future success. First, we suffer from a lack of NHL ready talent. Second, we lack money because our current owners are not rich and the fans do not buy tickets let alone pay ticket prices comparable to teams in the northeast and Canada.

BTW, even if the Panthers were to go after an impact player, I doubt that he would sign with us. If you were a talented, first line UFA would you sign with the Panthers?

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:45 PM
  #73
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!
 
CatscratchFever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: O-hi-O
Country: United States
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Pretty much agree with all of this.

Except i have some faith in Tallon. And yeah, Booth's hair is amazing.
Of course! And I trust DT intends to make it right. What's eating at me though, is I've trusted all of them, because I so desperately want this team to be a winner. Martin, Duds, Murray, <gasp>Keenan. I thought they all would help. The whole thing has just been a colossal failure from top to bottom for 11 years.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:47 PM
  #74
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
Are you talking about the streak that never, ever comes? Or the one that gets this team close enough to lose a tie-breaker for the playoffs? Or the ones that get your hope up, then crap the bed when you start to believe. Yes, 10 years has been a long time. So long, in fact, that I no longer care for any individual on this team (Booth does pretty much have an awesome head of hair and a great smile) And will not care who is jettisoned to try to improve the end product. The bottom line is, every GM has had a plan, this franchise has been in perpetual rebuild or semi-rebuild for 11 years now. The result is the same, no playoffs. And will be this season barring a miracle. Just keep waiting kitty cat fans we're gonna contend for not only the playoffs, but the Cup! annually. Someday. Maybe. When we get a better GM. Or coach. Or players. Or new owners. Or when we're playing in Portland Oregon. Your tattoos' gonna look like a turd then, huh? Dear hockey gods, must the suffering continue indefinitely for the rest of this fans life? Help me, please!
No kidding! ..but unless we get a cup championship, I'd like to keep Booth.

RainingRats, please be a little more fair and realistic than that.
If that were the case, nobody would renew. Just a bunch of corporate seats hat never show up. Anyone having stock in a team, may not necessarily have a more valid opinion, but their satisfaction and opinions should be considered a little more than someone who doesn't contribute to the existance of the team.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:21 PM
  #75
HockeyRulez
Lets Go Panthers!!!
 
HockeyRulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 2,436
vCash: 500
Weiss to the Habs rumors again:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...s-More/1/33065

I know its Eklund, but man I hope he's right this time.

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.