HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Saku Koivu back to Montreal

Old
01-23-2011, 05:29 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Still has the juice in him or not, Koivu centers the Habs first line while Brian Gionta hands Koivu back the "C" and the Montreal Canadiens win their 25th Stanley Cup all due to Carey Price's stunning performance's and Mike Cammalleri's goal sniping.
It has been a year and it still irks me we let Koivu walk to acquire frigging Gomez. We could have still signed Cammalleri and Gionta, while keeping Tanguay and Kovalev if we lost one other contract besides Gomez (Read: Bye Spacek) Not that I care much if we resigned Kovalev but that would have been a better lineup than we have now. Patches is going well though.

I just wanted to see Koivu with good linemates in Montreal as it hardly ever happened.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:01 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

vCash: 500
Generally in life it is best not to go back in time on sentimental reasons. We have a different style team now. Another small semi-offense forward not really what Habs need. Just take a good look we would have at somebody for the future like Desnarhais.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Force951

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Danglefest View Post
I honestly cant tell if your serious but if you are
It would take an overpayment to get koivu alone. But to somehow get selanne too would take a huge overpayment. Selanne is almost as untouchable as crosby because of what he means to the fans and team.

Force951 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:32 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
Koivu + Selanne for Eller + Pacioretty?
Every day i thanks god that you're not the GM of my team.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:05 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
The Ducks won't trade Koivu. He's locked up for next year and he's an important player to them. Getzlaf is injured and Koivu is the 2nd line center and their center depth isn't the strongest to begin with.

Koivu will retire a Duck IMO. He's happy in Anaheim and he loves being a Duck and playing with Selanne. As for him in Montreal, it's in the past. The ship has sailed.
This.

SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
It has been a year and it still irks me we let Koivu walk to acquire frigging Gomez. We could have still signed Cammalleri and Gionta, while keeping Tanguay and Kovalev if we lost one other contract besides Gomez (Read: Bye Spacek) Not that I care much if we resigned Kovalev but that would have been a better lineup than we have now. Patches is going well though.

I just wanted to see Koivu with good linemates in Montreal as it hardly ever happened.
What Koivu really needed (post-knee injury in the late 90's) is a big, true #1 centre playing in front of him and removing some pressure off his shoulders so he could simply concentrate on his true role: being one of the League's best 2nd line centre, a leader and a playoff warrior.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:48 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
What Koivu really needed (post-knee injury in the late 90's) is a big, true #1 centre playing in front of him and removing some pressure off his shoulders so he could simply concentrate on his true role: being one of the League's best 2nd line centre, a leader and a playoff warrior.
Of just have a Brind'Amour, a Primeau or an Arnott to play "behind" him, instead of Yanic Perreault.

Having a winger better than Richard Zednik would have helped as well.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Of just have a Brind'Amour, a Primeau or an Arnott to play "behind" him, instead of Yanic Perreault.

Having a winger better than Richard Zednik would have helped as well.
Good use of the quotes there. If Habs had any of them, especially Bits' of Lovin', not sure Koivu would have played "in front" of them.

Good point though. The lacklustre absence of any legitimate top-line wingers would still have been an issue, as Bourne was pointing out.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:57 PM
TheBuriedHab

Koivu in an interview this week said it was time for him to go and he wanted a new challenge in his career. He wanted to walk away so I don't think Montreal would try to get him back. Koivu will sign a 1 day contract with the habs and retire a hab at the end of his career but I would be shocked if he ever played for the habs again.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:07 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
just a question... is there ANY possibility that koivu's number gets retired?

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:13 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
I HOPE he doesn't.

Nothing against him, but when guys like Guy Lapointe and Guy Carbonneau don't have their jersey retired, guys like Koivu don't get theirs.

Old
01-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
I don't think so. Apart from the fact that he's the only worthy candidate since the early 90's, I just don't think his overall #'s have their place alongside the Richard, Béliveau, Harvey, Roy, Lafleur, Robinson, etc.

I personally wouldn't be against it, but it'd certainly be a stretch considering the jersey retirement pattern we've seen along the years. If it'd happen, it'd be more because of his overall value to the team & community than his actual on-ice contribution.

I guess people pointing out that Gainey had his number retired would have a point though.

Old
01-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
I HOPE he doesn't.

Nothing against him, but when guys like Guy Lapointe and Guy Carbonneau don't have their jersey retired, guys like Koivu don't get theirs.
Yep. #5 shouldn't have been one available to wear for a looooong time.

Old
01-23-2011, 02:19 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
Good use of the quotes there. If Habs had any of them, especially Bits' of Lovin', not sure Koivu would have played "in front" of them.

Good point though. The lacklustre absence of any legitimate top-line wingers would still have been an issue, as Bourne was pointing out.
I still think Koivu was a better offensive player than Brind at that time -- think 2000. Brind would have killed penalties as well, so I see Koivu getting the bulk of the PP time...

Come to think of it, Brind would probably have played on the 1st PP line WITH Koivu due to the total lack of wingers, so whoever is 1st or 2nd C doesn't really matter at this point.

At one point, the Habs 1st line was Kilger - Koivu - Bulis. Heck, they even gave Odjick 1st line duties.

Old
01-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
Koivu + Selanne for Eller + Pacioretty?
You'll have to pry Selanne from our cold, dead hands.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
I still think Koivu was a better offensive player than Brind at that time -- think 2000. Brind would have killed penalties as well, so I see Koivu getting the bulk of the PP time...

Come to think of it, Brind would probably have played on the 1st PP line WITH Koivu due to the total lack of wingers, so whoever is 1st or 2nd C doesn't really matter at this point.

At one point, the Habs 1st line was Kilger - Koivu - Bulis. Heck, they even gave Odjick 1st line duties.
I get the nausea every time I think of Traverse logging in top-4 minutes and Dackell as their go-to PK guy.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Getzlaf View Post
You'll have to pry Selanne from our cold, dead hands.
And you won't be getting neither of Eller or Pacioretty for these over-the-hill players as well.

Let's just both be happy the guy who posted this has no influence whatsoever on either Murray or Gauthier.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
I dont want him back in mtl
Didnt do anything before what makes anybody think things have changed?

Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:31 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I dont want him back in mtl
Didnt do anything before what makes anybody think things have changed?
He was probably the one reason our team was respectable. I can't believe he didn't do anything with guys like Valerie Bure, Oleg Petrov, Richard Zednik, Jan bulis, Chris higgins and Michael ryder as first line wingers. what a bum.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote