HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds interested in Arnott

Old
01-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

vCash: 500

No. Absolutely not. There has to be a better veteran center on the market who can play two way, creative hockey. Hell no. The very thought of Arnott back in a Predator sweater is disgusting. There is no way in heaven or hell he would be used on the fourth line... not to mention trotz would probably put the SAD line together and suddenly we would have Hornqvist and SK getting 8:00 of ice time. No.

I wouldn't mind Fisher, Weiss, (pipe dream), Madden, or even Higgins than Arnott.

What scares me is SLake isn't denying that the Preds have been considering it. Based on what he says it makes me think there is more to this than I would care to know. However, saying that management wants to win now tells me that there is a good chance Poile will throw the gloves off and go for something. Right now we have depth. I truly believe we can package something together and get a very good player that could not only help us this year, but maybe for years to come. I know Iginla's name has been thrown around (which is fine by me). Set your sights a little lower than that, but I think Poile will try to add a very solid player come deadline time.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:14 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Not sure to be honest.

Also Preds tend to get a guy NOT in the news for a trade. Trade news is drummed up to build up value. It wouldn't shock me to see Poile make a deal for Steven Weiss in Florida if Florida gives up ghost. Fisher is too obvious and would JUST fit under the cap at the trade deadline if there is 500K extra bonus money.

I'd personally wait. Players will get cheaper each day and the Preds would want a player who they can get on a one year, most likely. Also there is a bunch of players who are IRed who would have made nice trade chips; Tootoo, Lombardi, O'reilly.
Well, there's certainly no urgency at this point.

It's entirely likely that if they maintain their play (and health) that Poile will do anything until the trade deadline- if he does anything at all.

The problem is that the team really can't take another hit down the middle. If there's any concern that O'Reilly will not be back this season, however, I think he'll bring someone in unless they're willing to move Wilson to center.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post

No. Absolutely not. There has to be a better veteran center on the market who can play two way, creative hockey. Hell no. The very thought of Arnott back in a Predator sweater is disgusting. There is no way in heaven or hell he would be used on the fourth line... not to mention trotz would probably put the SAD line together and suddenly we would have Hornqvist and SK getting 8:00 of ice time. No.

I wouldn't mind Fisher, Weiss, (pipe dream), Madden, or even Higgins than Arnott.

What scares me is SLake isn't denying that the Preds have been considering it. Based on what he says it makes me think there is more to this than I would care to know. However, saying that management wants to win now tells me that there is a good chance Poile will throw the gloves off and go for something. Right now we have depth. I truly believe we can package something together and get a very good player that could not only help us this year, but maybe for years to come. I know Iginla's name has been thrown around (which is fine by me). Set your sights a little lower than that, but I think Poile will try to add a very solid player come deadline time.
I do NOT speak for the organization. I am in no way affiliated with the organization. I have heard absolutely ZERO from anyone credible (only Eklund readers on Twitter and at games) regarding this possibility. Do not get excited because I made a case for bringing back Arnott last night.

Personally, I think Arnott has a slightly better chance of returning than Radulov did last year.

The key difference here that has not been discussed is that unlike Weiss and Fisher, Arnott is in the final year of his contract. He is a pure rental that ultimately will be highly motivated once he leaves NJ this year to prove that he is still worth $3-4+ million next summer and has enough left in the tank to petition for a multiyear deal.

Sullivan will struggle, if he returns, to be conditioned for 18-20 minutes a night at a playoff pace. Dumont is playing 12-13 mins a night max, he won't be able to do it either. If Arnott comes to Nashville he gets his wish to play with his old linemates and possibly capitalize on the existing chemistry. He won't be facing the opposition's top defense and will be spotted against usually favorable matchups.

Our team is built on depth. They need at least two lines scoring each night to be successful. Reuniting the SAD line and giving them a specific role IS NOT the worst option out there. As I laid out the lines last night, how do you shut down the offense in a seven game series? It can be done, but would make us an incredibly difficult challenge.

This all boils down to the team leadership and front office. They would have to be on the same page for any deal to be struck here. If one or the other objects, then Poile simply moves onto another option. The reason this MIGHT get a serious discussion though is that Arnott has size (although used only in a blue moon) and plays a different game than anyone else on the market.

Tell me...Arnott or Olli Jokinen - which do you bring in? There are worse options out there. I don't think Weiss is available, Fisher hurts us in the future with his contract, Morrison is an option, but is his small playmaking game going to really add in the playoffs with no other size up the middle? I think if the locker room says go for it, you cannot just blow this possibility off...

Last edited by Seth Lake: 01-23-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Wanted to clarify...
Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:15 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
So where would y'all get such a center? I would think something approaching an ideal target would be Brendan Morrison; he's doing very well in Calgary at the moment, and is at a low enough contract that a draft pick ought to be enough. And Calgary is definitely selling.
\
Brendan Morrison would be a great idea.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:58 PM
token grinder

there a few guys i would look at that all have expiring deals-huselius (although a wing), brad boyes (if stl keeps falling), ruutu, umberger, arnott, hecht, and if you really want playoff grit, drury, but i don't know if the rangers would deal him

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:15 PM
glenngineer

SLake, one thing you're forgetting here. I will admit Arnott brings us more offense. The problem is, that line becomes a defensive liability. Remember Trotz praising Halischuk last week? Bringing detail to the game. Much like Spaling does. Offense is needed to win in the playoffs but defense is what this team is built on. If the offense goes away, we'll struggle for sure but if our defense fails us we have no chance. Not sure that having Arnott and possibly a weakened Sully on the 4th line is the best option defensively.

I know what you're saying but I'd prefer a better two way center at this point. That's just me though.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:35 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

It's an Eklund rumor.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:42 PM
glenngineer

What about Saku Koivu? I know he's got this year and next left on his deal. He's experienced. Good two way player. Leader. Relatively cheap.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:01 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
It's an Eklund rumor.
that he took by trolling the hf forums...

Old
01-23-2011, 05:02 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
What about Saku Koivu? I know he's got this year and next left on his deal. He's experienced. Good two way player. Leader. Relatively cheap.
anaheim is in the hunt still and get getzlaf back shortly. i think they keep him unless they have a disaster of the next few weeks

Old
01-23-2011, 07:05 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
there a few guys i would look at that all have expiring deals-huselius (although a wing), brad boyes (if stl keeps falling), ruutu, umberger, arnott, hecht, and if you really want playoff grit, drury, but i don't know if the rangers would deal him
i would love to have brad boyes in preds gear

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:36 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Arnott is the only player you named with an expiring contract. Everyone else has an extra year, and most of them are pretty steep.

If we're looking for a forward on an expiring contract, our options are:

Connolly
Reasoner
Arnott
Tanguay
Moulson
Stillman
Glencross
Dvorak
Higgins

Not counting RFAs. Given those choices, Arnott's not so bad...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Arnott is the only player you named with an expiring contract. Everyone else has an extra year, and most of them are pretty steep.

Connolly
Reasoner
Arnott
Tanguay
Moulson
Stillman
Glencross
Dvorak
Higgins

You forgot madden. I think Madden is the best bet.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 08:07 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
You forgot madden. I think Madden is the best bet.
Madden wouldn't be a terrible fit, but I seriously doubt Minnesota trades him. No way they just up and drop out of what could end up a 14 (or at least 13) team playoff race.

As much of a risk as it would be for his fragility, I would love to have Connolly on the squad. He gives us some real depth in the attack. Imagine:

Wilson-Legwand-Hornqvist
Kostitsyn-Goc/Connolly-Erat
Sullivan-Connolly/Goc-Dumont
Spaling-Smithson-Ward

That's a pretty good hockey team. Madden doesn't bring the offensive dynamic that Connolly brings, and Connolly is another guy that's very good with the puck and can play keep-away very effectively. Like I said, the only risk is his health...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Tim Connolly is my 1st choice, but as WFOME said...injuries (specifically concussions) are a MAJOR concern with Connolly...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Thanks, I needed that laugh.

Seriously, RJ Umberger will be traded shortly after the heat death of the universe. He's the heart and soul of this team, loves the city of Columbus (it's his offseason home), and the #1 candidate among the "Strip Nash Of The C!" crowd. Yes, he'd do great with the Preds... but he ain't goin' nowhere for nothin'. It'd be like asking St. Louis to trade Oshie.

Huselius is definitely available, but I think his contract is too high for Poile. ($4.75/yr for about 60 points, and he's not exactly a natural goal-scorer.)

Also, for the record, both of those deals expire next year, not this year.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:16 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I have only had a serious, active dislike for two Predators on a personal level: Denis Arkhipov and Jason Arnott. I don't care what he could "do" for this team (not a lot, IMO, he's a playoff scarecrow), I will never wish to see him in our uniform again.

And with that said, I've had discussions with Seth about this -- from what I've been told, directly from a member of the coaching staff -- Arnott wore out his welcome behind the scenes. I think it would be a serious disruption of chemistry to bring him back, but I'm not worried about it, because...again...I don't think the coaches would ever give the okay.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:45 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

Connolly
Reasoner
Arnott
Tanguay
Moulson
Stillman
Glencross
Dvorak
Higgins

yeah i was looking at the 2012 list. oops

Old
01-24-2011, 08:46 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I personally would love to have Reasoner on our team.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 01:39 PM
braindead

I've checked into this rumor: it turns out someone claiming to be Lou Lamarillo called Poile's cell number and said "I hear the Preds are interested in trading for an aging grumpy Devils center" to which Poile said "Are NOT". Eck, in his perpetual state of confusion, then quickly hung up and posted the rumor.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I've checked into this rumor: it turns out someone claiming to be Lou Lamarillo called Poile's cell number and said "I hear the Preds are interested in trading for an aging grumpy Devils center" to which Poile said "Are NOT". Eck, in his perpetual state of confusion, then quickly hung up and posted the rumor.
Haha, this amuses me

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 06:25 PM
cleangene

Any rumors circulating that the PREDS will try and bring Foppa back since he's returning AGAIN.?? And I thought Farve was bad.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Milly79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Any rumors circulating that the PREDS will try and bring Foppa back since he's returning AGAIN.?? And I thought Farve was bad.
Sigh.

Foppa > Farve. They are NOTHING alike.

Foppa has never retired and came back. He's always stated that he'd like to come back, but his foot has always been the deciding factor. Please never EVER group him with Farve.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:01 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Thanks, I needed that laugh.

Seriously, RJ Umberger will be traded shortly after the heat death of the universe. He's the heart and soul of this team, loves the city of Columbus (it's his offseason home), and the #1 candidate among the "Strip Nash Of The C!" crowd. Yes, he'd do great with the Preds... but he ain't goin' nowhere for nothin'. It'd be like asking St. Louis to trade Oshie.
I remember Hawks fans saying the same thing about Sullivan a few years back...

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
I remember Hawks fans saying the same thing about Sullivan a few years back...
So Sully grew up about 100-120 miles away from Chicago, went to college there, spoke fondly of his experience there even before Chicago picked him up, lived there during the offseason while he played there, and finished his degree in between games?

I get "heart and soul" comparisons, but there's additional details of importance.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote