HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Darcy Hordichuk 'Not Thrilled' with playing time

Old
01-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I don't know if you guys know this, but Carolina once traded for Hordichuk's rights and he didn't sign with us and went on to sign with Vancouver because he wanted to play in a market where "people cared about hockey". Took a big shot across the bow at Southern hockey by saying that he wanted to play in Canada because they cared up there more than we do down here. Anybody defending this loser needs to realize he's a dime a dozen and probably doesn't think a lot about playing for the Panthers to start with. One of the few NHL players I have seen show that openly ignorant geographic bias.
I don't remember the situation going that way at all. He didn't want to play for Carolina, and it sounded more like he a destination in mind. Only time I remember the South coming up is his saying he wanted to play up north and had been in the south for some time.

Pretty sure had those comments come up, they'd have been posted here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...rdichuk&page=4

Here's an actual quote from Darcy off a blog:
Quote:
"I want to play in the west because there are a lot more tough guys and that's my job every night," he said. "I'm so excited. I look back at my career and some of my best games have come in front of Canadian fans because that's my style. I like to run around and hit guys and anybody who's willing to drop the gloves. I'm the kind of guy who won't back down. I know my role and any chance I get to fight Georges Laraque and some of the bigger guys out there, I like to test myself against those guys."
Read more: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/catego...#ixzz1Boz23VH8

01-22-2011, 09:21 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Hockey View Post
Bouwmeester says hello with regards to geographical bias.

Very interesting take though, thanks for bringing this to the surface.
You do realize this "bias" is just the way it is. Many players are from Canada and as someone who has lived in both Ontario and Florida, I can tell you unbiasedly that hockey is so huge in Canada. It's the only thing, it'd be as if the Dolphins were winning and you combined that interest with the interest in the Miami Heat with the trio.

I love the panthers and they're my team. I also think hockey can be successful here and if we win, we'll draw fans, but many NHL players from Canada or from up north want to play somewhere where they're treated like pseudo-celebrities. Down in south florida, 95/100 people would not recognize Darcy Hordichuk on the street. If he played on the leafs, at least 70/100 people on the streets would recognize him. No offense to the panthers (my team) but that's just something we have to compete with since we're a team in the south. I'm from South FLA but if I were good enough to make the show, I'd probably want to ultimately experience what it's like playing in a true hockey market. Look at it from that persepective. Sure any normal person on the street would prefer South FLA to Edmonton but many hockey players would pick EDM over FLA if both teams were equally good.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
You do realize this "bias" is just the way it is. Many players are from Canada and as someone who has lived in both Ontario and Florida, I can tell you unbiasedly that hockey is so huge in Canada. It's the only thing, it'd be as if the Dolphins were winning and you combined that interest with the interest in the Miami Heat with the trio.

I love the panthers and they're my team. I also think hockey can be successful here and if we win, we'll draw fans, but many NHL players from Canada or from up north want to play somewhere where they're treated like pseudo-celebrities. Down in south florida, 95/100 people would not recognize Darcy Hordichuk on the street. If he played on the leafs, at least 70/100 people on the streets would recognize him. No offense to the panthers (my team) but that's just something we have to compete with since we're a team in the south. I'm from South FLA but if I were good enough to make the show, I'd probably want to ultimately experience what it's like playing in a true hockey market. Look at it from that persepective. Sure any normal person on the street would prefer South FLA to Edmonton but many hockey players would pick EDM over FLA if both teams were equally good.
Just because it may be the overwhelming consensus among elitist players doesn't make me feel any better.

Southern Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:30 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
That 2008-09 team should have been a playoff team.
And also 2007-08 team.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleepinthechapel View Post
Oh, I almost forgot. Who was the coach at the helm that season we lost the tie breaker? The one who's system turned the team around. I can't really remember his name.
He has no value for toughness? Because he won't play enforces for more than five minutes a game? Get out. To assume that Booth's injury had anything to do with the Panther's lack of toughness is absurd. Your post is nonsense.
Being on these types of boards for years and knowing many panthers fans, those with true hockey knowledge and conversely many who have never even strapped on skates, it is amamzing how the dudley, martin and now debouer apologists have one thing in common. The minute anyone points out a flaw in their almighty leader, the reply is to personally insult and discredit their opinion immediately with words like "nonsense" in their post. I spoke with high ranking hockey people after that incident and I asked the question: what would have happened if the Booth hit was Ballard on Richards. I guarantee you that the philly coach would not have defended Ballard like our minor league coach defended richards (one of his junior players), and it would have been much more payback than a staged and pitiful fight from McCabe which was too little and too late. The team is soft because OUR COACH is soft. The Booth hit was just the most obvous example of our team being pushed around. I remember Boynton taking a beating from a heavyweight goon that season, since I sit right by the exit and he was slaughtered and bloodied, because the other team was physically killing us and running our kids and he was the only one willing to stand up. And how was he thanked for that?

We all have opinions and over the years I've listened to strong agressive opinions defending some pretty terrible leaders on this team mentioned above and years later none of them have gotten us to the playoffs. I still see absoutely no reason to believe that Debouer will do anything for this franchise and Tallon, while he offeres some hope, has not done anything other than draft a couple of good prospects and sign left over free agents. He talks a good game, the blueprint motto sounds nice and all but go out and get some players, you know like a Buffglyn who was available. Then we might see a reason to feel confident.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
While I'll certainly concede DeBoer improved the team from the previous year, that was one of, if not our best rosters this decade. No way would I consider that roster weak.

The offense was good with Booth and Weiss putting up 60 points each, Stillman putting up almost 50 points, the emergence of Frolik and the CPR line.

The defense was good with Bouwmeester (before he went downhill after the deadline), Ballard playing outstanding, McCabe and Skrastins playing good, and Cullimore and Boynton at least being serviceable at their roles.

The goaltending was outstanding with Vokoun and Anderson.

That 2008-09 team should have been a playoff team.
Exactly, this team underachieved and completely collaposed from a sure playoff spot to complaining about a rule that kept us out. Coaching!!!

Old
01-23-2011, 11:11 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Being on these types of boards for years and knowing many panthers fans, those with true hockey knowledge and conversely many who have never even strapped on skates, it is amamzing how the dudley, martin and now debouer apologists have one thing in common. The minute anyone points out a flaw in their almighty leader, the reply is to personally insult and discredit their opinion immediately with words like "nonsense" in their post. I spoke with high ranking hockey people after that incident and I asked the question: what would have happened if the Booth hit was Ballard on Richards. I guarantee you that the philly coach would not have defended Ballard like our minor league coach defended richards (one of his junior players), and it would have been much more payback than a staged and pitiful fight from McCabe which was too little and too late. The team is soft because OUR COACH is soft. The Booth hit was just the most obvous example of our team being pushed around. I remember Boynton taking a beating from a heavyweight goon that season, since I sit right by the exit and he was slaughtered and bloodied, because the other team was physically killing us and running our kids and he was the only one willing to stand up. And how was he thanked for that?

We all have opinions and over the years I've listened to strong agressive opinions defending some pretty terrible leaders on this team mentioned above and years later none of them have gotten us to the playoffs. I still see absoutely no reason to believe that Debouer will do anything for this franchise and Tallon, while he offeres some hope, has not done anything other than draft a couple of good prospects and sign left over free agents. He talks a good game, the blueprint motto sounds nice and all but go out and get some players, you know like a Buffglyn who was available. Then we might see a reason to feel confident.

Look through the thread. See if any junior coach supporter has enumerated a laundry list of why they would rehire PD at the end of the contract. You wont find it. Any poster who characterizes another's opinion with derogatory terms like nonsense etc. clearly cant make a supportive argument and therefore must go the high school route and attack yours. If it happens repeatedly, do what i did to one out of towner...hit the magical ignore setting.

The boynton fiasco was the turning point of the disastrous PD experiment. Fact is fact; he was hired by JM after JM was fired as coach but face saved by AC and allowed to continue to GM. Never an NHL coach, never an NHL assistant coach, never any playing NHL experience, plucked from the juniors to be JM's intern. When the Boynton incident occurred the Junior coach had to call daddy Jacque in for help, for he knew and still knows not how to handle vets. Equally sad is letting him bring his friend Hulton from kitchener up to coach the power play... well we all know how well that has gone. It has unraveled since the boynton incident (what is our record from that infamous point on ?)then with a collapse that year and horrific failures the 2 following years, that you and I and most others pay to see .
Id like to see Hulton fired yesterday. I agree with SH since this season is just about put in yet another of this centuries failure column, we might as well pay PD's internship out. Then I am ultra confident Tallon will choose a well vetted, experienced NHL coach that can lead on and off the bench, put in some team toughness, respected by referees, make mature assistant coach choices, and help, along with the many other fixes necessary, get us diehard fans out of this miserable stranglehold.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post

Look through the thread. See if any junior coach supporter has enumerated a laundry list of why they would rehire PD at the end of the contract. You wont find it. Any poster who characterizes another's opinion with derogatory terms like nonsense etc. clearly cant make a supportive argument and therefore must go the high school route and attack yours. If it happens repeatedly, do what i did to one out of towner...hit the magical ignore setting.

The boynton fiasco was the turning point of the disastrous PD experiment. Fact is fact; he was hired by JM after JM was fired as coach but face saved by AC and allowed to continue to GM. Never an NHL coach, never an NHL assistant coach, never any playing NHL experience, plucked from the juniors to be JM's intern. When the Boynton incident occurred the Junior coach had to call daddy Jacque in for help, for he knew and still knows not how to handle vets. Equally sad is letting him bring his friend Hulton from kitchener up to coach the power play... well we all know how well that has gone. It has unraveled since the boynton incident (what is our record from that infamous point on ?)then with a collapse that year and horrific failures the 2 following years, that you and I and most others pay to see .
Id like to see Hulton fired yesterday. I agree with SH since this season is just about put in yet another of this centuries failure column, we might as well pay PD's internship out. Then I am ultra confident Tallon will choose a well vetted, experienced NHL coach that can lead on and off the bench, put in some team toughness, respected by referees, make mature assistant coach choices, and help, along with the many other fixes necessary, get us diehard fans out of this miserable stranglehold.
Very well said, I do believe Tallon has the know how to make the right decision, he is a close friend of Torrey which says a lot. I do believe he brought in Skrudland to have a potential head coach or assistant in waiting. And Murphy was Tallon's choice, not debouer's. Debouer wanted our very succesful power play coach. Skrudland, even tough others have questioned his experience, was a leader on the ice for years and a very succesful assistant in the NHL, much more than Debouer was when he was hired.

Regarding the ignore feature. It is too entertaining to read some of these comments, and nothing anyone on this board will write will make me question my hockey knowledge. Not with the people I've had the pleasure of associating with, and even sharing ice with over the years. It is sad to realize though that after having a team for so many years, our loyal fan base is so numb to this losing that we can't even question our coaches and GM's and hold them to reasonable, not even high, expectations. Imagine Ranger, Montreal, Philly fans having to put up this coach?

An aside, never a ranger fans, in fact I hated them, but Adam Graves was one of the clasiest players in the NHL. Weiss' uncle by the way, reason he wears #9.

Old
01-23-2011, 11:35 AM
RainingRats

Quote:

Really? The team is soft because the coach is soft? How about because the players are soft and a team like Philly always builds a tough team. Do you think Carcillo, Asham, Pronger, Cote, etc. would turn into soft players under Pete? Come on man. This is such a ridiculous statement. There are completely legitimate criticisms to be made of Pete DeBoer but to suggest that the team is soft because the coach is silly. Many have criticized this team for being soft but that's on the players and the GM who gave him the roster to work with.

Once again, you like many of the other Pete bashers only focus on the negatives or the missed opportunities of someone. You ignore the fact that management acquired Santo, a guy on pace for 20 goals for a conditional fifth round pick. Or Marty Reasoner, a player integral to our excellent PK for Jeff Freakin Taffe. He also signed Weaver who has been great for change. We don't have the budget or the brand equity to attract big name free agents. As a long time Panther fan you should be well aware of this.

You assume that Tallon didn't try to get him, that we could beat Atlanta's offer, and that anyone actually thought Buf would produce like he is. Don't you think Chicago would have kept him if they thought he was going to be second in D-man scoring? You're talking about a guy whose previous years he hasn't broken the 40 point mark with 36 being his highest. Sure he had a good playoffs but so have a lot of players. Buf's play has been a huge surprise to everyone. You're monday morning quarterbacking.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Really? The team is soft because the coach is soft? How about because the players are soft and a team like Philly always builds a tough team. Do you think Carcillo, Asham, Pronger, Cote, etc. would turn into soft players under Pete? Come on man. This is such a ridiculous statement. There are completely legitimate criticisms to be made of Pete DeBoer but to suggest that the team is soft because the coach is silly. Many have criticized this team for being soft but that's on the players and the GM who gave him the roster to work with.

Once again, you like many of the other Pete bashers only focus on the negatives or the missed opportunities of someone. You ignore the fact that management acquired Santo, a guy on pace for 20 goals for a conditional fifth round pick. Or Marty Reasoner, a player integral to our excellent PK for Jeff Freakin Taffe. He also signed Weaver who has been great for change. We don't have the budget or the brand equity to attract big name free agents. As a long time Panther fan you should be well aware of this.

You assume that Tallon didn't try to get him, that we could beat Atlanta's offer, and that anyone actually thought Buf would produce like he is. Don't you think Chicago would have kept him if they thought he was going to be second in D-man scoring? You're talking about a guy whose previous years he hasn't broken the 40 point mark with 36 being his highest. Sure he had a good playoffs but so have a lot of players. Buf's play has been a huge surprise to everyone. You're monday morning quarterbacking.
Many small markets do a much better job attracting and keeping players. Our best signing ever is stillman, should we laugh now?

So a team's style, character and demeanor has nothing to do with the coach? Really? That's what you're going with?

BUff was available, chicago had to trade him due to the cap issues that ironically were caused by our GM. If anyone knew his talent it was Tallon and of all people Dudley. We were dudleyed by dudley, the guy who made the most damage to our long term development by completely blowing two number one picks.

Old
01-23-2011, 11:59 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Many small markets do a much better job attracting and keeping players. Our best signing ever is stillman, should we laugh now?

So a team's style, character and demeanor has nothing to do with the coach? Really? That's what you're going with?

BUff was available, chicago had to trade him due to the cap issues that ironically were caused by our GM. If anyone knew his talent it was Tallon and of all people Dudley. We were dudleyed by dudley, the guy who made the most damage to our long term development by completely blowing two number one picks.
Signing Bouw probably would have been a mistake. We signed Horton, Weiss, Booth, Ballard, Jokinen, Vokoun(?)...Not every franchise keeps all their players anyway.

You said this team lacks toughness and that Pete is responsible for this. Who on our team is tough? That's what I thought. You think Peter Lavoilette is a tough coach? What are you talking about? Seriously. We don't play a passive style of hockey. We simply have soft players.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Signing Bouw probably would have been a mistake. We signed Horton, Weiss, Booth, Ballard, Jokinen, Vokoun(?)...Not every franchise keeps all their players anyway.

You said this team lacks toughness and that Pete is responsible for this. Who on our team is tough? That's what I thought. You think Peter Lavoilette is a tough coach? What are you talking about? Seriously. We don't play a passive style of hockey. We simply have soft players.
You ignored a lot of my points but I will agree with you that signing Bouw would have been a poor move. I never like him since day one, we should have drafted Nash. What martin should have done is trade him when his value was high.

We have soft players becasue they are like their coach. A coach decides who is on the ice. How many tough guys has he vanished in the short time he was here? even the middle weights are vanished. the team plays through it's coach and guys like McCabe, Allen, Campbell, Boynton who are truly gritty tough players have softened in this environment. Just naming a couple.

Old
01-23-2011, 02:02 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Very well said, I do believe Tallon has the know how to make the right decision, he is a close friend of Torrey which says a lot. I do believe he brought in Skrudland to have a potential head coach or assistant in waiting. And Murphy was Tallon's choice, not debouer's. Debouer wanted our very succesful power play coach. Skrudland, even tough others have questioned his experience, was a leader on the ice for years and a very succesful assistant in the NHL, much more than Debouer was when he was hired.

Regarding the ignore feature. It is too entertaining to read some of these comments, and nothing anyone on this board will write will make me question my hockey knowledge. Not with the people I've had the pleasure of associating with, and even sharing ice with over the years. It is sad to realize though that after having a team for so many years, our loyal fan base is so numb to this losing that we can't even question our coaches and GM's and hold them to reasonable, not even high, expectations. Imagine Ranger, Montreal, Philly fans having to put up this coach?

An aside, never a ranger fans, in fact I hated them, but Adam Graves was one of the clasiest players in the NHL. Weiss' uncle by the way, reason he wears #9.
I did not know that about Weiss !! Yes I'm a huge fan of Ag, partial ranger sth for many years, gave my son the name Adam as a middle name in hopes gravers character would rub off on him lol. I flew my son up for his retirement game, it was amazing. Adam graves was one of the hockey greats in character, humbleness and charity. If he was on rhe ice when booth hit ricchards I guarentee you Richards would have paid dearly ...

Old
01-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Holy Jokinen

Hordi scratched again tonight. 7dmen.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
is anyone surprised?

Old
01-23-2011, 02:57 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Are you worried hj about booth being double shifted yet again? Don't like him playing tired...

Old
01-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Are you worried hj about booth being double shifted yet again? Don't like him playing tired...
Absolutely. I also think Matthias should play a bit more.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote