HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Senators decide to rebuild

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2011, 03:45 PM
  #76
Natural Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Natural Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
Kovalev in Montreal next to Gomez and Gionta would be amazing IMO...

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:45 PM
  #77
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Home of 5 Stanley's
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by exporta View Post
I wonder if Burke and Murray would work something around Kadri and Spezza...

Not sure I love the idea, but the Leafs get their #1 centre who I think would click with Kessel and Murray gets Kadri whom he coveted at the draft.
Lol Only leaf fans think this Murray wanted Cowen not Kadri Burke opened up his big mouth before Murray had a chance to talk and when Burke said is that who you want and Murray went ya and did not even hesitate and turn aroung and walk away when Burke said thats who we are taking. If Murray wanted Kadri so bad he would at least threw his pitch To burke he was happy Burke never said Cowen

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:49 PM
  #78
Dick Whitman
Registered User
 
Dick Whitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilsburnsclean View Post
Lol Only leaf fans think this Murray wanted Cowen not Kadri Burke opened up his big mouth before Murray had a chance to talk and when Burke said is that who you want and Murray went ya and did not even hesitate and turn aroung and walk away when Burke said thats who we are taking. If Murray wanted Kadri so bad he would at least threw his pitch To burke he was happy Burke never said Cowen
Not to mention that Kadri will be lucky to be half as good as Spezza is. Spezza's going to be the offensive leader of this team for years to come and I can only hope we make the proper deals to surround him with complimentary players, preferably snipers and big wingers who can create space.


The season of doom!

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:50 PM
  #79
Operation Hot Mother
Registered User
 
Operation Hot Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 647
vCash: 500
Ugh I really don't want this to become a Cowen/Kadri debate. Kadri is a fine young prospect and it's completely plausible that Murray wanted him, but Cowen is also a great prospect and we're happy to have him. I certainly wouldn't mind having a Nazem Kadri in our farm system, but not at the price of Spezza.

Operation Hot Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:54 PM
  #80
exporta
Registered User
 
exporta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilsburnsclean View Post
Lol Only leaf fans think this Murray wanted Cowen not Kadri Burke opened up his big mouth before Murray had a chance to talk and when Burke said is that who you want and Murray went ya and did not even hesitate and turn aroung and walk away when Burke said thats who we are taking. If Murray wanted Kadri so bad he would at least threw his pitch To burke he was happy Burke never said Cowen
I live in Ottawa and it was heavily speculated that Murray was after Kadri as the team needed, and still needs a 2nd line centre. Fisher is best suited as a third line centre. Obviously they did not come out and say "we want Kadri this draft, and show their cards."

As well, if you watch the whole conversation Murray offers an undisclosed goaltender to Burke. Burke responded saying who are you taking, to see if Ottawa wanted Cowen or MSP... as soon as Murray told him, Burke said no thats who we are taking - no further conversation.

There is no real evidence whom the goaltender was, but Auld was traded that summer for pick. I would assume the offer was 7th for 9th + Auld. Wasn't a serious pitch, but it never got into discussion.

Ottawa didn't make an attempt to swap picks with Dallas, thus you have to assume they went with option #2.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:56 PM
  #81
exporta
Registered User
 
exporta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
Not to mention that Kadri will be lucky to be half as good as Spezza is. Spezza's going to be the offensive leader of this team for years to come and I can only hope we make the proper deals to surround him with complimentary players, preferably snipers and big wingers who can create space.


The season of doom!
Yeah, I know Kadri won't get the Leafs Spezza straight up. I don't think the Sens should trade him either, but if he is available I was wondering if Leaf fans would be ok with giving up Kadri + depending on the needs of Ottawa. Young defenseman?

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:56 PM
  #82
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan View Post
Kovalev in Montreal next to Gomez and Gionta would be amazing IMO...
vomit

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:56 PM
  #83
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Where you going to get these top line players you speak of? I guess UFA is one way but with all these long term contracts, you won't have to opportunity to grab some the way teams have in the past. Another year without your first doesn't help.
people make to much of the fact that we don't have our 1st rounder this year, ya it sucks but we have all our picks backing going into next year so it's not like losing our 1st is a long term thing. Aquire a couple extra picks for the 2012 draft, maybe an extra 2nd, 3rd keep our 1st and draft smart with our later picks maybe move some D for some offense.

This team isn't in as bad a shape long term as people like to think.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:58 PM
  #84
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
people make to much of the fact that we don't have our 1st rounder this year, ya it sucks but we have all our picks backing going into next year so it's not like losing our 1st is a long term thing. Aquire a couple extra picks for the 2012 draft, maybe an extra 2nd, 3rd keep our 1st and draft smart with our later picks maybe move some D for some offense.

This team isn't in as bad a shape long term as people like to think.
No but maybe giving up 2 possible lottery picks could hurt the leafs long term.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:04 PM
  #85
Jackie Treehorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Aruba
Posts: 2,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Panda View Post
Excellent choice for the Sens. They flatout need to rebuild asap. The Leafs were in that spot a few years back and decided to attempt some garbage slap together job which failed again and again. Then we went with this "retool". Yeah, look where that got us... Flames are in the same spot, they should start rebuilding as well.

Here's to hoping the Sens get better along with the Leafs. I want to see them get the battle of Ontario going again, hopefully in the PlayOffs someday. All those years of meeting in the PlayOffs were great, now we're sad...
I believe you are right all the way round here. Battle of Ontario...where have you gone.

Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:07 PM
  #86
Jackie Treehorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Aruba
Posts: 2,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
people make to much of the fact that we don't have our 1st rounder this year, ya it sucks but we have all our picks backing going into next year so it's not like losing our 1st is a long term thing. Aquire a couple extra picks for the 2012 draft, maybe an extra 2nd, 3rd keep our 1st and draft smart with our later picks maybe move some D for some offense.

This team isn't in as bad a shape long term as people like to think.
The trouble is that you won't really feel the full effect of that trade for a few years. Burke made a move to get better now, when he made the Kessel deal and the team regressed. So now he's in the position of having traded futures for the present and the present sucks. And the real trouble starts in about 2 years when you've got this hole in your prospect pipeline. It's certainly not the end of the world but the pain hasn't yet been felt by the Leafs organization yet.

Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:09 PM
  #87
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,215
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
I'd love to add Alfie or Iginla somehow. Philly's friggin stacked this year and the pens need to add something up front to take them out imo.
I like both players, but I don't think either's contract works.

I also don't know if I'd want anything to do with Kovalev. He could either be a huge addition, or the most frustrating player on the team.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:09 PM
  #88
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
No but maybe giving up 2 possible lottery picks could hurt the leafs long term.
ya thaT would suck but we did get a legit 30-40 goal scorer out of thst deal I guess we will have to see what seguin turns into. He is off to a slow start with only 16 points in 46 games and for a #2 pick I think more was expected by the bruins and their fans.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:09 PM
  #89
Seabound117
Registered User
 
Seabound117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
An unfortunate but unavoidable turn for the Sens, I do really feel bad for their fanbase to be subjected to the uninspired performances they have had to endure as of late. Obviously the #1 goal at this point is to aquire both youth and draft positions as to make the rebuild as quick as possible and with a new coach and new outlook be competitive if not contending next season.

My only hope is that Ottawa doesn't try to change their make-up to be too much like the Oilers, keep in mind despite a good run Edmonton is still 1-2 seasons away from contention. Though to be fair to the Oilers faithful another few well executed drafts into productive rookies could make them significantly better as soon as next season.

I am a total and complete Washington homer who in some ways greatly overvalues the benefits of short handed threats and goons, so my resounding cry would remain to trade the Caps Carkner and Kelly but obviously the Sens management needs to look towards whatever option gives their team the best rebuilding options and I know GMGM over here in Washington tends to overvalue his draft picks and propects.

I would love to throw out some absurd trade where we would give Semin for Spezza etc etc but we both know its not realistic, The Sens need to dump contracts like Gonchar, Kuba, and Kovalev and keep rebuilding parts like Kelly, Spezza, Karlsson, and Carkner (he may be 30 but he does do what he does excellently ), And Washington has hopefully learned the lesson about big contract pickups at the deadline.

So good luck to the Sens I hope this process is quick and productive and that there will be great things to come next season. I may be a Caps homer but it would not break my heart in any way to see Daniel Alfredsson hoisting the cup as Scotiabank before his great career winds to a close.

Go Sens Go!

Seabound117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:14 PM
  #90
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound117 View Post
An unfortunate but unavoidable turn for the Sens, I do really feel bad for their fanbase to be subjected to the uninspired performances they have had to endure as of late. Obviously the #1 goal at this point is to aquire both youth and draft positions as to make the rebuild as quick as possible and with a new coach and new outlook be competitive if not contending next season.

My only hope is that Ottawa doesn't try to change their make-up to be too much like the Oilers, keep in mind despite a good run Edmonton is still 1-2 seasons away from contention. Though to be fair to the Oilers faithful another few well executed drafts into productive rookies could make them significantly better as soon as next season.

I am a total and complete Washington homer who in some ways greatly overvalues the benefits of short handed threats and goons, so my resounding cry would remain to trade the Caps Carkner and Kelly but obviously the Sens management needs to look towards whatever option gives their team the best rebuilding options and I know GMGM over here in Washington tends to overvalue his draft picks and propects.

I would love to throw out some absurd trade where we would give Semin for Spezza etc etc but we both know its not realistic, The Sens need to dump contracts like Gonchar, Kuba, and Kovalev and keep rebuilding parts like Kelly, Spezza, Karlsson, and Carkner (he may be 30 but he does do what he does excellently ), And Washington has hopefully learned the lesson about big contract pickups at the deadline.

So good luck to the Sens I hope this process is quick and productive and that there will be great things to come next season. I may be a Caps homer but it would not break my heart in any way to see Daniel Alfredsson hoisting the cup as Scotiabank before his great career winds to a close.

Go Sens Go!

what big contract pickups at the deasline? Fedorov? his deal was almostup when he was dealt to the caps. Same with Huet I would think as a ca[s fan you would want the caps to sing a deal for a legit #1 goalie like Vokoun.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:18 PM
  #91
Bluester
Registered User
 
Bluester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kansas City, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
The Blues inquired about Kovalev earlier in the year and Murray said he wasn't currently available. I'd give Ottawa a 4th.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:20 PM
  #92
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluester View Post
The Blues inquired about Kovalev earlier in the year and Murray said he wasn't currently available. I'd give Ottawa a 4th.
I don't think it makes sense to trade him now. Closer to the deadline we might be able to get a 2nd, or at least a 3rd.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:21 PM
  #93
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluester View Post
The Blues inquired about Kovalev earlier in the year and Murray said he wasn't currently available. I'd give Ottawa a 4th.
If that's the best offer we get, deal. Probably would be.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:23 PM
  #94
Seabound117
Registered User
 
Seabound117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
what big contract pickups at the deasline? Fedorov? his deal was almostup when he was dealt to the caps. Same with Huet I would think as a ca[s fan you would want the caps to sing a deal for a legit #1 goalie like Vokoun.
Sure, but the point of my message was more a Get Well Soon message to the Sens faithful than pondering what the Caps should or should not do at the deadline. My position has always been:

To OTT: Perrault, Shultz and Neuvirth
To WSH: Kelly, Carkner and Elliot

Though someone did point out Fisher would be more likely available, I still think Fisher if he moves would end up in Nashville where his wife resides the most. And yes Vokun would be better but Varly when healthy is a #1 tender and Elliot would provide vetern influences at a much more reasonable price than what Vokun could command.

Seabound117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:24 PM
  #95
Richter35
Registered User
 
Richter35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 500
kovalev and carkner to nyr for derek boogaard and a 2nd

yeah i went there.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:24 PM
  #96
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,327
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Mole View Post
Gonch back to the Caps? Maybe Kovalev?
Deal

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:26 PM
  #97
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound117 View Post
Sure, but the point of my message was more a Get Well Soon message to the Sens faithful than pondering what the Caps should or should not do at the deadline. My position has always been:

To OTT: Perrault, Shultz and Neuvirth
To WSH: Kelly, Carkner and Elliot

Though someone did point out Fisher would be more likely available, I still think Fisher if he moves would end up in Nashville where his wife resides the most. And yes Vokun would be better but Varly when healthy is a #1 tender and Elliot would provide vetern influences at a much more reasonable price than what Vokun could command.
In fact they don't spend most of the time in nashville underwood is or plans on moving to ottawa soon full time there building a house just out side the city.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:26 PM
  #98
Seabound117
Registered User
 
Seabound117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
I know I only speak for myself but I wouldn't want either Kovalev or Gonchar, we will have enough trouble resigning Semin without additional cap hits to worry about.

Seabound117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:28 PM
  #99
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,327
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
What is the asking price for michalek?
It's not that Michalek is not available. It's that his stock is sooooo low right now that he is not worth losing for his current price. His knee is finally getting better, and he is getting some of that speed back. If (more likely when) he blows up his knee again, I'll give you him for [Insert 2nd Round Pick and Mid-Tier Prospect]

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:30 PM
  #100
Seabound117
Registered User
 
Seabound117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
kovalev and carkner to nyr for derek boogaard and a 2nd

yeah i went there.
No offense but Boogaard sucks, both offensively and as an enforcer. Carkner and King have both pwned him and Carkner's beating put him out of the lineup for a period of time. Most importantly he did score a goal after a multiyear drought and with Dubinsky and Avery on the team his services aren't really needed.

Seabound117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.