HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov claimed by Islanders. Will not report & Can't be traded ‎ part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2011, 04:49 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i think this is a really cunning move by snow. he realised the waiver draft position of the islanders puts him in a strong position. if you want to get a guy past him you gotta pay up. nabokov isnt going to play for the islanders and if anyone would like to see him released back onto waivers youll kindly send them an assett they can use. if nabby wanted to play for a contender there were offers in the offseason he chose not to take
I get the feeling that you won't feel this way if any other team picks up a player of you'd like off waivers just to blackmail your favorite team

Old
01-23-2011, 04:50 PM
SergioRodriguez13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post

Nabby is a FREE AGENT. Its quirky with the Euro waivers, but he's free not to want to be part of a bottom feeders rebuild process at this point in his career.

I'd be surprised if most people didnt understand this. Infact I think most people do. But Snow and Wang.... Im not so sure. They do puzzeling stuff sometimes.
This is where most people are wrong. He was called a free agent, but the rules clearly state you're not "free".
When you're overseas and you're unsigned, you are MUCH different from a normal UFA.
The rule is overseas FA must go through waivers.
Evgeni Nabokov, satisfies that criteria.
He's not "free to avoid the bottom feeders".
By rule, he's not at all. By rule, he's exposed to everyone.
Quirky rule or not, it's a rule. Nabokov is not the same as a standard free agent in the USA/Canada, because he came from the KHL.

Old
01-23-2011, 04:50 PM
gotmonte

this waiver wire stuff sucks. I am sure it was touched on in here, but I am NOT going through three parts to find out if it has.

A player in another league/continent decides he would like to play for team A. He and his agent(s) negotiate with team A and they come to a deal.

Player A then goes on waiver wires and gets picked up by ANY OTHER team? That sucks.

Its like a common person putting an application in to a nice big firm. The firm likes the person and they agree on salary. The next day the common person gets picked up by MacDonalds and has to fling burgers and fries for a year. They do NOT get to show their fancy talents to the big dogs of the world and common man gets wasted.

Hence Nabi.

Change the Wire rule. Waviers is fine for sending down and calling up. But not for players coming over from other countries/leagues.

A lot of stuff need changing in the NHL. But I BELIEVE this should be the first thing changed.

But thats ME

Old
01-23-2011, 04:52 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliesGirlie View Post
Thank You.

A. Original waivers claimants take precedence over the Islanders' desire to trade him.

B. If the Isles were the only team that put in a claim, the Isles still are not free to trade Nabokov because.....a player who played in Europe after the NHL season began, Nabokov must clear waivers any time he is being traded or assigned.

In that case, any of the 29 teams, including Detroit, can put in a claim on Nabokov. If more than one team puts in a claim, the team lowest in the standings gets him. In this actual (second) waiver scenario, there is no priority given to a team that originally claimed Nabokov the first time he was on waivers.

01-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
I'm not following you when you refer to a former Ranger who did that to Edmonton.

I think the point here is the players are people too. They have these big contracts and they should still have the right to walk away from all the money if they don't want to play for the team that has their contract.
Michael Nylander, remember, how he signed a contract and then his wife decided She didnt want to go to Edmonton.

They do have that right to walk away

i never said they didnt, but they dont have a right to play in the NHL any more than you or i do its an honor to play in the NHL and they have rules....

Old
01-23-2011, 04:54 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

So BEFORE the Isles could ever trade him under Any scenario any other team that put in a claim yesterday gets him first

Way to go Garth...

Old
01-23-2011, 04:58 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I'm not sure why the NHLPA hasnt fought for a rule that would allow a player to cancel his contract and become a UFA instead of being put on waivers.
because if they did allow players to cancel their contracts, they would have to allow the team owners to "fire" a player.
if an owner felt that a player was under performing, or if a players work ethic diminished, he could just fire him and not have to pay him. and the NHLPA is all about getting their members paid.

Old
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So BEFORE the Isles could ever trade him under Any scenario any other team that put in a claim yesterday gets him first

Way to go Garth...
If I follow correctly... that would be until the end of the season. After suspending him for the rest of the year they could then trade him while avoiding the waiver process.

Old
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
Michael Nylander, remember, how he signed a contract and then his wife decided She didnt want to go to Edmonton.

i never said they didnt, but they dont have a right to play in the NHL any more than you or i do its an honor to play in the NHL and they have rules....
Nylander? Man, I'm glad Nylander's wife did that. I'd rather not have that contract on the books right now!

Nabokov has earned the right to be picky. He's the best talent to hit the waiver wire that I can remember.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Whatever, why do the Rangers even enter this conversation?

Sather has nothing to do with this Nabby business. You want to poke fun at the Rangers for signing Redden and it not working out, ok I get it, but Sather left himself a clever loophole.

The difference here is that Redden WANTED to be a Rangers. Teams rarely make moves for guys they know wont come to their team. I'm sure some traded guys were unhappy but within the NHL players show the respect to at least go and make the best of a trade.

Nabby is a FREE AGENT. Its quirky with the Euro waivers, but he's free not to want to be part of a bottom feeders rebuild process at this point in his career.

I'd be surprised if most people didnt understand this. Infact I think most people do. But Snow and Wang.... Im not so sure. They do puzzeling stuff sometimes.
thats Where you are wrong.

The moment Nabakov signed a contract, he wasnt a free agent. he signed a contract and he was subject to nhl rules.

if Nabakov wanted to be a free agent he could have waited till this summer

but no, he wanted his cake and to eat it too

Old
nrf83

Quote:

Nylander never signed contract; Edmonton and Nylanders agent agreed to deal and there were handshakes as I recall; wife than stepped in and put kibosh to deal and he signed with Caps

Old
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekortiz3 View Post
If I follow correctly... that would be until the end of the season. After suspending him for the rest of the year they could then trade him while avoiding the waiver process.
exactly

Old
01-23-2011, 05:02 PM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:

Way to go Garth...
While you may not have been on top of this facet until now, I am fairly certain Garth Snow was. The Isles didn't put a claim in expecting to trade him, they put a claim in because it was an opportunity to get a world class goaltender on the squad to help them win games.

I don't think they care whether you or other HF posters think there's no difference between 28th and 22nd or whatever. They do. Isles fans know this team needs to start winning games, period. Garth knows this too.

Low risk (and low cost), high reward. Nabokov is only hurting himself by not reporting.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:03 PM
bossy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy View Post
He signed a 1 year contract which he did not honor, he will remain under contract and Islanders property until that contract term has been fulfilled. NHLPA can't do anything for him if the Islanders don't place him back on waivers.
NHLPA might even be unhappy with the signed contract based on the extreme underpayment.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Boom King

Doug Armstrong and John Davidson intend to bring up the waiver rule for the next GM meetings. Their suggestions are to apply the waiver rule for players like Svatos or Nabokov only closer to the trading deadline or another suggestion is that the team that loses the player on waivers should be compensated by the claiming team an amount of $150,000 or $200,000.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:05 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
NHLPA might even be unhappy with the signed contract based on the extreme underpayment.
Why would the NHLPA be unhappy? If a player agrees to play for 570k for all intensive purposes half a year, then why would the NHLPA even care?

Old
01-23-2011, 05:06 PM
StuDog

Quote:
For the Cash FAT NY Rangers.... yes it is the best scenario at the moment. It is a luxury few teams can afford but it is nothing to the Rangers.
you're truly clueless and clearly trying to incite isles fans. you brought up the fact about this claim riling up the NHLPA and union. yet when the rangers send their albatross to the minors, something i'm sure the players union frowns upon behind closed doors, you don't address it and change the subject.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:06 PM
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
exactly
Realistically what kind of return would the Islanders expect to get for him?

Old
01-23-2011, 05:07 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuDog View Post
you're truly clueless and clearly trying to incite isles fans. you brought up the fact about this claim riling up the NHLPA and union. yet when the rangers send their albatross to the minors, something i'm sure the players union frowns upon behind closed doors, you don't address it and change the subject.
Redden still gets paid, the NHLPA doesn't have much to complain about.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:07 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Why would the NHLPA be unhappy? If a player agrees to play for 570k for all intensive purposes half a year, then why would the NHLPA even care?
I hate you so much.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:09 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Nabokov has earned the right to be picky.
how did "earn the right" to be picky? whats he done in the last year? he turn his back on the NHL, he got lit up in the KHL, and he got paid very well for doing so.
so i ask again, how did he "earn the right"?

Old
StuDog

Quote:
Redden still gets paid, the NHLPA doesn't have much to complain about.
but it's the same "code" that you're all clamoring about, a thing you don't do to players with multiple years on their contract making a ton of money b/c it makes you look bad and the Players union frowns upon it. but it's cool for the rags to do f'd up stuff, but not the islanders.

Old
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
The PA isn't going to even touch this. What are they going to argue, that Nabokov deserves preferential treatment that their other 500+ members don't?

that Svatos or Wellwood didn't?

Nabokov made his bed, now he can lie in it.

Old
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
Nylander never signed contract; Edmonton and Nylanders agent agreed to deal and there were handshakes as I recall; wife than stepped in and put kibosh to deal and he signed with Caps
true, but in practice When an agent agrees to a deal it is just as binding upon the principal. as a purely legal matter, an agent has the authority to act as the principal with all legal rights and responsibilities

Old
01-23-2011, 05:12 PM
SergioRodriguez13*

Quote:
Nylander? Man, I'm glad Nylander's wife did that. I'd rather not have that contract on the books right now!

Nabokov has earned the right to be picky. He's the best talent to hit the waiver wire that I can remember.
Unfortunately, "talent level" isn't criteria for a waived player. The waivers don't care if you're Sidney Crosby or Bruno Gervais, I hope you know that.
The NHL doesn't see Nabby's name on the waiver wire and bow their heads to him and assign him where he wants just cause he's good.

Closed Thread