HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings inquired about Marian Gaborik

Old
01-23-2011, 06:09 PM
NYRangers16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
That part makes no sense. Without a doubt Schenn would be coming back this way since that's our serious need. So at that point, we'd have Schenn, Stepan and Anisimov at C. Then you would sign Richards????? Yea if Richards signed for 1 year but guess what, he's getting 5+.

You also don't make a trade with LA and not get Schenn just because you think you might get Richards in the offseason.
Fair criticism - if we get Schenn we wouldn't sign Richards. As I said though, it clears 7 million of cap room which is a lot to work with. It's not a salary dump, it's just that at 7.5 Gabby is being paid market value and therefore he is replacable, plus we'd add Schenn.

I really do think that another year of development for Stepan and Anisimov, plus Schenn and Boyle, plus our prospects, plus whatever we get for Gabby's 7.5m would equal a cup in the nxt 3-5 years.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 06:13 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Yes it is, he hasn't proven a thing in the NHL, and he's a prospect.

There's really nothing to argue.
There's plenty to argue, especially since you are missing the point. It's not Gabby fo Schenn straight up. It's Gabby for Schenn + the player/s we sign for the 7m in new cap space we have.

Is there anyone here who wouldn't trade Gabby for 7.5m worth of good players and Schenn? Byfuglien at 4.5m as a restricted FA, Schenn + 2m of cap room isn't worth Gabby? I think it totally is.

Old
01-23-2011, 06:15 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Oh yes, the great "cap space" argument.

Cap space doesn't win you games. Gaborik can.

01-23-2011, 06:23 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Oh yes, the great "cap space" argument.

Cap space doesn't win you games. Gaborik can.
Brayden Schenn plus the players you get with the cap space. We aren't the Islanders - it's not like players don't want to play here. We could get the next Gaborik...let's not pretend that he's any better than about 15-20 other NHL stars and they do become free agents every so often, just like Gabby did. He's not friggin Ovechkin - he's replacable.

PS I would want more than Schenn back just for the record - Brown or some picks or something. But even then it just makes it a bigger win for us.

Old
01-23-2011, 06:26 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Yes, 40 goal scorers are totally replaceable.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 06:27 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
1: Log on to Hfboards.
2: Read NYR boards Brown for Gaborik proposal.
3: Create rumor based on said proposal and Schenn mentions.
4: Get site hits.
5: ???
6: Profit.
Hooray! My first rumor credit. Does that officially make me a "source?"

Quote:
Sources tell me...
I'm in the Brown + Schenn is good value boat but still I'd let Sather make the decision (oh, how generous of me!) as to what is better for the team but if overpayment is the recipe of the day, let's aim higher. Throw in Gilroy for J.Johnson as well Oh hell, and a 2nd rounder (since Sather seems to do better with 2nds) to us as well.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 06:38 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Yes, 40 goal scorers are totally replaceable.
Let's look at free agents the last few years...guys off the top of my head...

Gabby 2 years ago
Kovalchuk last year
Richards this year(and Semin not that I want him)
Parise next year

Are you saying Gabby is any better than these guys? I mean Kovalchuk is a greedy guy and I wouldn't want him but Richards and Parise are plenty good enough.

Are you afraid that the next star we sign is going to suck the moment he gets here, and tht's why you are holding on to Gabby so tightly?

Old
01-23-2011, 06:40 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Richards has never scored 40 goals.
Kovalchuk is a cancer.
Parise is restricted.

Try again.

Old
01-23-2011, 06:49 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Let's look at free agents the last few years...guys off the top of my head...

Gabby 2 years ago
Kovalchuk last year
Richards this year(and Semin not that I want him)
Parise next year

Are you saying Gabby is any better than these guys? I mean Kovalchuk is a greedy guy and I wouldn't want him but Richards and Parise are plenty good enough.

Are you afraid that the next star we sign is going to suck the moment he gets here, and tht's why you are holding on to Gabby so tightly?
But I hear Henrik's band is in need of a drummer

Old
01-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Brayden Schenn plus the players you get with the cap space. We aren't the Islanders - it's not like players don't want to play here. We could get the next Gaborik...let's not pretend that he's any better than about 15-20 other NHL stars and they do become free agents every so often, just like Gabby did. He's not friggin Ovechkin - he's replacable.

PS I would want more than Schenn back just for the record - Brown or some picks or something. But even then it just makes it a bigger win for us.
So lets trade Gaborik for someone who might become like Gaborik?

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:05 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Richards has never scored 40 goals.
Kovalchuk is a cancer.
Parise is restricted.

Try again.
Simon Gagne, Teemu Selane, and Alexei Kovalev have each scored 40+ goals. If you want to be picky about things like Kovalchuk being a cancer, Gaborik gets the injury-prone stigma. Brian Gionta was available the same summer as Gaborik and his season high of 48 beats Gaboriks. Paul Kariya was a 50 goal scorer. Heck, Miroslav Satan is a former 40 goal scorer. I think the general statement "40 goal scorers are always available" is true but you should really be up front with your qualifying conditions instead of getting snarky with "try again" remarks.

On a not-so-related note, one could say, "how often do 70 goal scorers become available?" as a basis to sign Selanne.

Old
01-23-2011, 07:07 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
So lets trade Gaborik for someone who might become like Gaborik?
I thought he meant we could trade Gaborik for assets and sign a player via UFA to replace Gaborik - i.e. the next Gaborik UFA. Or the next big ticket UFA because we have a good history of attracting them to NY.

Old
01-23-2011, 07:09 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Simon Gagne, Teemu Selane, and Alexei Kovalev have each scored 40+ goals. If you want to be picky about things like Kovalchuk being a cancer, Gaborik gets the injury-prone stigma. Brian Gionta was available the same summer as Gaborik and his season high of 48 beats Gaboriks. Paul Kariya was a 50 goal scorer. Heck, Miroslav Satan is a former 40 goal scorer. I think the general statement "40 goal scorers are always available" is true but you should really be up front with your qualifying conditions instead of getting snarky with "try again" remarks.

On a not-so-related note, one could say, "how often do 70 goal scorers become available?" as a basis to sign Selanne.
I didn't think I had to put "currently capable of scoring 40 goals on a yearly basis, as well as putting up ~80+ points".

There are not many players like Gaborik ever available in UFA, and Schenn sure as hell would be lucky to ever become as good he currently is.

Old
01-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
I thought he meant we could trade Gaborik for assets and sign a player via UFA to replace Gaborik - i.e. the next Gaborik UFA. Or the next big ticket UFA because we have a good history of attracting them to NY.
Oh okay. Yeah i see it now, thanks for clarifying. My apologies.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:30 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
I didn't think I had to put "currently capable of scoring 40 goals on a yearly basis, as well as putting up ~80+ points".

There are not many players like Gaborik ever available in UFA, and Schenn sure as hell would be lucky to ever become as good he currently is.
yeah, but I'd argue that Gaborik is not (technically speaking) capable of scoring 40 goals on a yearly basis due to his injury prone-ness. He has never had back to back (i.e. yearly) 40 goal seasons. That is fact is probably indeed rare. Then do we change the requirement to "currently capable of scoring at a 40 goals/season pace on a yearly basis, as well as putting up ~80+ points"? I'm not arguing about his talent but if you brush aside other's responses so flippantly, I want to know what exactly your standards are. How would you respond to Alex "Bongo" Semin? He is "currently capable of scoring 40 goals on a yearly basis, as well as putting up ~80+ points".

Old
01-23-2011, 07:30 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
Well if there is a deal to be made with the Kings it's gonna happen soon cause the Senators just announced a fire sale as did the Panthers and the Flames might be close behind.
The Devils have players they might move.
I could only pray and dream we would be able to get Weiss and McCabe in a deal with the panthers.

I dont know what I'd want from the sens. I'm not really for danny alfredsson, but if he came on the cheap, why not? Guy would help our PP.

And I know people hate him but I wouldnt mind Kovalev on the cheap for the playoff run and thereafter.

Not sure what the flames have to offer. Maybe Regher? I dont know.

EDIT: Nevermind on regehr he's signed for a few more years a $4 million cap hit. So maybe Babchuk. Also tanguay too.

Last edited by RGY: 01-23-2011 at 07:40 PM.
RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:33 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Quote:
yeah, but I'd argue that Gaborik is not (technically speaking) capable of scoring 40 goals on a yearly basis due to his injury prone-ness. He has never had back to back (i.e. yearly) 40 goal seasons. That is fact is probably indeed rare. Then do we change the requirement to "currently capable of scoring at a 40 goals/season pace on a yearly basis, as well as putting up ~80+ points"? I'm not arguing about his talent but if you brush aside other's responses so flippantly, I want to know what exactly your standards are. How would you respond to Alex "Bongo" Semin? He is "currently capable of scoring 40 goals on a yearly basis, as well as putting up ~80+ points".
He can. I don't want him though because:

A. We have no idea if he is a product of playing with some of the best players in the world

or

B. He would demand too much money

And besides, I don't think Semin would leave Washington, considering him and Ovechkin seem like best buddies.

Old
01-23-2011, 07:37 PM
cheesecake factory

The only way the rangers would trade Gabby is if it helps them RIGHT NOW. They are in the playoff race, and can climb as high as fourth if they play well enough, and the injured players start to come back.

Any trade "for the future" I do not think would even be considered for Gaborik

cheesecake factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:56 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
He can. I don't want him though because:

A. We have no idea if he is a product of playing with some of the best players in the world

or

B. He would demand too much money

And besides, I don't think Semin would leave Washington, considering him and Ovechkin seem like best buddies.
So currently we are at "currently capable of scoring at a 40 goals/season pace on a yearly basis, as well as putting up ~80+ points that HF poster Brian Boyle approves of" heh heh. A debate that cannot be won.

I think Semin would part ways. Kariya and Selanne did so it's not unprecedented. Plus, keeping so many high priced players (AO, Backstrom, Green) is going to strain the Caps' cap. I also remember Semin spending time off of AO's line last season and still producing (40g season). Given the powers of magical foresight, knowing Semin was willing to sign at Gaborik's same 5 year $7.5M, would you be willing to trade Gaborik then for presumably strong assets that would improve our team further?

Old
01-23-2011, 07:58 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laces out Dan View Post
Your point is weak. Yes, those are 4 elite talents. If there weren't 29 other potential teams offering them FA deals, and they were locks to come here, your point might make slight sense. But since we DO have Gabrorik, and world class snipers are not easy to come by, you damn well do hold onto him unless you get a great offer.
I don't think anyone here is willing to let Gaborik go for the price of a song. It's the interpretation of "great offer" that is the moving target.

Old
01-23-2011, 08:19 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laces out Dan View Post
I don't understand what the rush to trade or quit on Gaborik is. The guy was 5th in goals last season and 10th in pts. This season he has been hurt and, despite missing 15 games, he is still 2nd on the team in scoring. Maybe he is a little too under the microscope in here. He scores 4 goals and 5 pts against the Leafs, and people complain he only scores against weak teams? There are few players in the league who can score 4 goals against ANY team. Gaborik's last 5 seasons, including this one, he is 1.09 ppg and .56 gpg. To be surrounded by little to no top-end support talent, and still be one of the top scoring snipers at .56 goals per game, you are not going to replace that very easily.
I don't think anyone is in a rush. We all just have different opinions on what we'd accept to move him. LA isn't in a rush to offer Brown + Schenn; an offer many posters have stated would be either must-take or highly tempting. I certainly agree that Brown + a pick is not enough for Gaborik IMO. But if "the right offer" came along, Gaborik isn't really untouchable, except to a few posters. I think anyone turning down Doughty for Gaborik for example would be crazy. However rare 40 goal scorers like Gaborik are, elite defensemen like Doughty are even more rare. That should be a no-brainer. What is your "right offer" for Gaborik. Actually, to make things more interesting, what is an offer that would tempt you 50/50 into accepting. No-brainer deals aren't any fun to discuss.