HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

should Murray stay or go?

View Poll Results: Does Murray Stay or Go?
Murray gone asap 35 56.45%
Murray stays the course 16 25.81%
Murray gone in the off season 11 17.74%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
The other issue with firing Murray now has been brought up - it gives the players an excuse.
What about blaming the Toronto war room of a conspiracy?

It won't give the players an excuse, it will show them that this **** will not stand and they got someone fired for their ****** play. If they continue to lose, Lombardi will be following him out the door along with some players. That is the reality of sports, its not okay to lose and there are consequences.

I doubt they will high five each other and be happy that they have an "excuse".

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...game-plan.html

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
What about blaming the Toronto war room of a conspiracy?

It won't give the players an excuse, it will show them that this **** will not stand and they got someone fired for their ****** play. If they continue to lose, Lombardi will be following him out the door along with some players. That is the reality of sports, its not okay to lose and there are consequences.

I doubt they will high five each other and be happy that they have an "excuse".

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...game-plan.html
I could not agree more with that article and it could not be more pertinent after last night's game. I asked several players and Murray about their sense of purpose with the puck and Ryan Smyth gave me a real response. I know what they said (obviously) but the reality is that it's just ... not ... there. They settle and they don't crash for rebounds or recoveries. I give them credit, their board work has improved but they battle for possession, play strong defense and do all the hard stuff and then just throw the puck away. They miss a lot of shots and when they hit the net there is not much meaningful movement or traffic.

I think the organization is going to keep Lombardi barring things going from somewhat awful to much worse. Murray is in sink-or-swim territory now, if only because firing the coach is easier than firing the roster. That said, other than the core guys that are unsigned (Doughty, Simmonds I'd say), I think only the cheap young guys like Lewis and Martinez will be retained among this years RFA and UFA player if I had to guess. That may go for the guys with another year left as well, Mitchell is the question mark, if he stays healthy or not. Smyth is a warrior, no one can say a negative word about him IMO but he probably deserves a chance with a veteran team if one is willing to take on his onerous cap hit.

01-22-2011, 02:38 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Andrew,

My question would be two part.

1. Do you think Lombardi would have to receive approval from Lieweke to remove Murray?

2. How would AEG react to now a third coach in not even five full years? Especially given the fact that TM was just extended over the summer.

I might be totally wrong, but I think these two guys are more on the same page than many on this board seem to think and they will either be sinking or swimming together. I still would be absolutely shocked if a move is made.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Andrew,

My question would be two part.

1. Do you think Lombardi would have to receive approval from Lieweke to remove Murray?

2. How would AEG react to now a third coach in not even five full years? Especially given the fact that TM was just extended over the summer.

I might be totally wrong, but I think these two guys are more on the same page than many on this board seem to think and they will either be sinking or swimming together. I still would be absolutely shocked if a move is made.
I'd be surprised if Murray is canned this year, yes there is a little uneasiness in the room after games right now but even if his job were totally secure there'd be no shortage of that. The team is losing.

What Twitter pages and message boards say means little if anything, hell I bet there is a firebarrytrotz.com somewhere out there is they have the internet in Tennessee (I kid, I kid).

I imagine there'd be a discussion between Lombardi and the ownership regarding Murray, especially because of the years remaining. While teams certainly bite the bullet all the time, an extension always draws out the process. I've seen situations where coaches completely lost teams and they hung on just a little longer because of a financial situation. I don't know that the previous coaching carousel has much effect but Murray's contract situation does.

I do think Lombardi and Murray have a strong relationship. They definitely go to bat for one another with the press.

Unless things get really, really bad, I don't see the team making a move before the year is out. I believe he Murray will get an opportunity to try and get them back into the playoffs and depending on how things shake out new expectations will form for how they fare if they get into the postseason.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 06:00 PM
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
Unless things get really, really bad, I don't see the team making a move before the year is out. I believe he Murray will get an opportunity to try and get them back into the playoffs and depending on how things shake out new expectations will form for how they fare if they get into the postseason.
What do you consider really really bad? I think not making the playoffs this year is unacceptable.

I'm not expecting a cup or anything, my goals are realistic, but to be in the top 8 of 15 teams shouldn't be as hard as the Kings are making it.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 06:25 PM
kingscourt26

Speaking of coaching changes...The Devils seem to have gotten new life. Beat Phillie today. I have no idea why the Kings are choosing to be too far behind before taking action.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscourt26 View Post
What do you consider really really bad? I think not making the playoffs this year is unacceptable.

I'm not expecting a cup or anything, my goals are realistic, but to be in the top 8 of 15 teams shouldn't be as hard as the Kings are making it.
Yeah I think they have to get in or at least show significant resilience to this 10-of-12 tailspin. If they have a decent trip, finish the year strong and narrowly miss, maybe that'd be enough. You have to kind of reshape expectations on the fly but yes this is obviously disappointing. You look at this team on paper and its relative health, it's got to be a top-8 team in the West. Nashville, Detroit, Chicago ... all these teams have had more injuries. Just about every team in the Pacific Division had the same number of flaws or question marks (give or take) and they have all been faring better.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:41 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

I am not totally convinced that Ziggy is right when he calls this an average hockey team; it's my opinion that they are a well-above average team who is greatly underachieving. Just my $.02 on that. I think that the fact that TM has won 100 games faster than anyone else in team history bears that out... He was given a talented team, got as much out of them as he possibly could, now the clock has struck midnight on him.

When your team is underachieving, what can you do? Get rid of 20 players? No, you get rid of the person who is the traditional fall guy in any sport, the coach. As the saying goes, "coaches are hired to be fired."

The natural follow-up question is "well, if you want him out, who do you replace him with?" Since I agree that you are really limited right now as to where you can go, why not something a little off-beat that just could be what they need... interim head coach Ron Hextall.
Would certainly bring some much-needed fire to the room. Lack of experience aside, as a short term fix he might be the best option. Stevens doesn't excite me and unless they are willing to commit long-term to Mark Morris he won't be leaving Manchester.

This would also allow for the firing of Kompon to allow the team to bring in a bench coach short term (someone like [but not necessarily] Larry Robinson or Ed Olczyk) to help right the ship until you can see what's availablein the off-season.

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:48 PM
MxK1NGS

Luuuc Robitaille for COACH!

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Kingurentai

Sup guys. I'm not that busy.