HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2011, 05:30 PM
rban*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Thats a cop out imo. He has many point blank chances that he flubs. He needs to capitalize on the chances that come his way for him to solidfy a spot on the 3rd line. He hasnt. Maybe next year he continues to grow and it clicks at that point. Maybe tis year but i dont see many signs lately. So tired of his 1 move when he has the puck going down the boards. He carries it behind the net. Just once i would like him to drive the net or try something different.
And pray tell, who would be better than him on the top 9?

Look Philly have 8 players who can score better than him, and they constitute part of the top 9. No team has more depth.

Nodl is as good or better a scorer than Powe, Carcillo et al. Donno who you think would be better as the 9th player.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:39 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
And pray tell, who would be better than him on the top 9?

Look Philly have 8 players who can score better than him, and they constitute part of the top 9. No team has more depth.

Nodl is as good or better a scorer than Powe, Carcillo et al. Donno who you think would be better as the 9th player.
and pray tell? what the hell does that mean? your confusing 2 different questions. He maybe the best option with the players they have, it still doesnt make him a top 9 player. He is their by default as they dont have better options. Powe is a 4th line player who is getting on my nerves, carcillo of last year is a top 9 player, this year he is not. He had a good game today. So right now yes Nold is the better option. If carcillo is over his injuries,can get some playing time and back to his play of last year i owuld take him inthat spot. However i do not see him getting the time to show what he can do and the coach loves Nodl. .

Old
01-23-2011, 05:45 PM
NJGoalie

Quote:
and pray tell? what the hell does that mean? your confusing 2 different questions. He maybe the best option with the players they have, it still doesnt make him a top 9 player. He is their by default as they dont have better options. Powe is a 4th line player who is getting on my nerves, carcillo of last year is a top 9 player, this year he is not. He had a good game today. So right now yes Nold is the better option. If carcillo is over his injuries,can get some playing time and back to his play of last year i owuld take him inthat spot. However i do not see him getting the time to show what he can do and the coach loves Nodl. .
Nodl may not be a prototypical top-9 player, but with the talent we already have in our top 9, not to mention the ridiculous depth on the back end, what else do you want from the number 9 guy in our top 9? You have a valid point if there is no salary cap, but in the NHL today, the Flyers are about as deep as a team can be and still be under the cap. I challenge you to find a team that has 9 guys at the top of their forward lineup that are even close to what the Flyers have now.

With that said, Nodl is a fine top 9 guy with the guys he plays with. He is defensively responsible and pops in the odd goal when the stars align. He is a plus player, which at the end of the day means a whole lot more than how many goals he scores.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:48 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGoalie View Post
Nodl may not be a prototypical top-9 player, but with the talent we already have in our top 9, not to mention the ridiculous depth on the back end, what else do you want from the number 9 guy in our top 9? You have a valid point if there is no salary cap, but in the NHL today, the Flyers are about as deep as a team can be and still be under the cap. I challenge you to find a team that has 9 guys at the top of their forward lineup that are even close to what the Flyers have now.

With that said, Nodl is a fine top 9 guy with the guys he plays with. He is defensively responsible and pops in the odd goal when the stars align. He is a plus player, which at the end of the day means a whole lot more than how many goals he scores.
wow you challenged me. I give up you win. your clearly missing the point. Have a good night.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:53 PM
NJGoalie

Quote:
wow you challenged me. I give up you win. your clearly missing the point. Have a good night.
are you 12? you seem not to understand expressions of the english language(do you seriously not know what pray tell means?)... bring up something valid instead of making yourself look like a moron or stop trolling.

Grow up, and have a nice night

Old
01-23-2011, 06:33 PM
captainpaxil

i think our glutton of depth skewed peoples views on nodl. hes a decent(not great) 3rd line player on a team that doesnt have one.

Old
01-23-2011, 06:41 PM
NJGoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i think our glutton of depth skewed peoples views on nodl. hes a decent(not great) 3rd line player on a team that doesnt have one.
agreed... he looks a lot worse on a team like the islanders. He needs guys around him to compliment his game and pick up for his offensive shortcomings, but he is more than serviceable on a line with Richie and JVR. He may not make anyone else on his line better, and may take away from their overall offensive production as a line, but he isn't giving anything up in the defensive end and the line has more than enough talent to pot a goal on a fairly frequent basis.

This is perfect on a team who has 2 other lines to score if their line isn't doing it. If this line was the only one being relied upon to score goals, then no, Nodl isn't cutting the mustard, but he fits perfectly into the lineup the way it sits now.

Old
01-23-2011, 08:11 PM
JGalt

The way Nodl has been playing this year earns him a 3rd line spot on any Flyers team I've ever watched without question. The only reason he seems borderline is that the depth we have this year is absolutely ridiculous. I doubt there's any team in the league this year where he's not a 3rd liner or better.

Old
01-23-2011, 08:50 PM
phlocky

Regarding Nodl, you guys do realize he has 9 goals this year right???? that makes him tied for162nd in the league. With there being 30 teams in the league, this makes him at worst the 6th forward on an average NHL team this year and most likely the 5th best (accounting for there being quite a few dmen in the top 162 in goal scoring. On a lesser team he's most likely a 2nd line winger and getting even more ice time and scoring chances.

Old
01-23-2011, 08:52 PM
BrindamoursNose

I can't criticize Nodl because he's already exceeded my expectations of him for this season.

Old
01-23-2011, 09:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Regarding Nodl, you guys do realize he has 9 goals this year right???? that makes him tied for162nd in the league. With there being 30 teams in the league, this makes him at worst the 6th forward on an average NHL team this year and most likely the 5th best (accounting for there being quite a few dmen in the top 162 in goal scoring. On a lesser team he's most likely a 2nd line winger and getting even more ice time and scoring chances.
That's not really how it works. I'm not knocking him, but just because he has 9 goals on this team doesn't mean he would have 9 on another. Also just having more goals than a player doesn't make you a better player. By that logic Brian Boyle on the NYR is the 40th best player in the league because he has that many goals. Nodl is not a goal scorer, it just isn't his game. He may score some goals here and there, but playing on a different team wouldn't increase his numbers. In fact they very well could decrease because he wouldn't benefit from playing on a line with Mike Richards and others that he has played with throughout the season.

Old
01-23-2011, 10:47 PM
BernieParent

The Flyers can make do with Nodl's stone hands because they are still leading the league in goals scored. He's learning to play a strong two-way game, and while whiffing his share of golden opportunities, Nodl is far from embarrassing himself out there.

Old
01-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I can't criticize Nodl because he's already exceeded my expectations of him for this season.
Yeah, this is how I feel. I was expecting worse.

Old
01-23-2011, 11:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

What's with all the angst against Andreas NineGoal (no longer NoGoal)? He's playing fine as a role player...yeah his hands have hardened again but I haven't seen anything out of him overly detrimental. The guy is going to be like a Mark Pederson offensively ...but at least he's much more hard nosed and defensively responsible. Actually, come playoff time he'll probably be much more noticeable. Actually, more I think about it..Nodl reminds me of Derrick Smith...

Old
01-23-2011, 11:24 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The Flyers can make do with Nodl's stone hands because they are still leading the league in goals scored. He's learning to play a strong two-way game, and while whiffing his share of golden opportunities, Nodl is far from embarrassing himself out there.
Basically this. Plus, Nodl makes next to nothing.

He's a better overall player than Zherdev, Carcillo, Powe, etc. for different reasons. Let the man play, and bask in the glory that is our 1C line.

Old
01-23-2011, 11:55 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

It's not about the points it's just he has no offensive ability. So predictable and not hard on the puck at all.

Old
01-24-2011, 12:15 AM
BernieParent

Zherdev and Nodl are like the Flyers' yin and yang: all offense vs no offense. And given how this team is playing, that's a decent thing to have. I'm confident that Laviolette knows their limitations and will continue to use them both effectively to and (dare I say) through the playoffs.

Old
01-24-2011, 12:19 AM
NJGoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain richie18 View Post
It's not about the points it's just he has no offensive ability. So predictable and not hard on the puck at all.
Who would you rather have as a number nine forward that would fit under the cap?

Nodl plays a very sound defensive game, while getting his nose dirty in the corners and generally being where the other guys on the line know he should be.

The object of a hockey game is to score more than the opponent. There are two sides to that, scoring and defense. Nodl has proven to contribute greatly to one part of that equation. He is on the plus side, and not marginally right now. (He has a better +/- than Pronger, just saying)

His job on the ice is to make sure the other team does not score. Anything he does offensively is gravy at this point, and he hasn't been awful in that area either. It isn't fair to criticize him for not doing his job, because he is doing exactly what the team needs him to do.

Old
01-24-2011, 12:26 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGoalie View Post
Who would you rather have as a number nine forward that would fit under the cap?

Nodl plays a very sound defensive game, while getting his nose dirty in the corners and generally being where the other guys on the line know he should be.

The object of a hockey game is to score more than the opponent. There are two sides to that, scoring and defense. Nodl has proven to contribute greatly to one part of that equation. He is on the plus side, and not marginally right now. (He has a better +/- than Pronger, just saying)

His job on the ice is to make sure the other team does not score. Anything he does offensively is gravy at this point, and he hasn't been awful in that area either. It isn't fair to criticize him for not doing his job, because he is doing exactly what the team needs him to do.
We're just spoiled. That's the only possible explanation I can come up with.

Old
01-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
We're just spoiled. That's the only possible explanation I can come up with.
Well, there's also the factor of him playing with Richards... if Nodl was on a true 3rd/4th line, it would be less of a problem in my mind. I just find it annoying that we're constantly seeing Richards lugging around weaker linemates offensively.

Old
01-24-2011, 12:41 AM
NJGoalie

Quote:
Well, there's also the factor of him playing with Richards... if Nodl was on a true 3rd/4th line, it would be less of a problem in my mind. I just find it annoying that we're constantly seeing Richards lugging around weaker linemates offensively.
Again, I ask, who would you rather have as a number 9 foward in our top 9?

It's hard to fathom having as much depth as we have at forward AND defense. One of our top 3 lines has to play with a guy that's getting paid peanuts. I would rather that guy be Nodl than anyone else that makes as much as he does(which is a necessity given our cap situation).

Richards may not benefit in the personal stats department from playing with Nodl, but the team certainly does. I would also argue, although not as vehemently, that Richards benefits from Nodl's presence on the line offensively because he takes some of the pressure off of Richie to be as defensively oriented. Richards can take more chances while playing with a guy that he knows will have his back if he gets a little deeper than he should on any given forecheck.

Old
01-24-2011, 02:48 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
What the hell does that guy know? Whole lotta nothin', I say!

And you really don't know what "pray tell" means? You are 12 aren't you?

Funny thing. I thought I'd enter this thread to see what everyone was saying about Zherdev tonight. Boy do I feel dumb.

Old
01-24-2011, 06:55 AM
BringBackStevens

Don't worry about NWO, if a player is not a 25+ goal scorer he's no good in his book

Old
01-24-2011, 08:07 AM
rban*

He's a fine ninth forward, Philly fans are so bloody spoiled. Most teams by the time you get to No 9 in the forward depth chart, you're talking about a player that's barely above AHL level.

Nodl doesnt have to score many goals cuz he has eight high scoring forwards surrounding him. Why are we arguing over whether he's good enough to be No 9? No 9 is usually nothing but a scrub.

And wasn't this a Zherdev thread? When and why did it turn into a Nodl thread?

Old
01-24-2011, 08:11 AM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That's a consequence of depth. Only way to mitigate that, I guess, is to switch Richards occasionally with another center so that you can 'spread the pain' around ...'pain' on the Flyers being defined as having to lug around weaker-than-star linemates.. like JVR and Nodl or Zherdev.

Closed Thread