HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers @ Devils 3:00 pm EST

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2011, 05:13 PM
RainingRats

vCash: 500
A lot of over anlayzing going on in this gdt with Markstrom.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Erick

Why was it ruled a no goal?

Old
Hip to be Square

Bryan allen and rusty olesz.. You gotta love 'em.

Old
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
It seems like because of Markströms size, he isn't fast enough to get down and cover that space. Like the Devils announcers said: It isn't fair to him, two of the hardest shots in the league at the points and a sniper like Elias on top. He hasn't seen anyone close to this skill in the AHL.

But I'm glad his playing instead of just sitting and watching. He will learn from his "mistakes" and I think this is gonna be a good experience for him at the end of the day.
I think Markstrom's looked pretty good. It's his first NHL game, he got a pretty raw deal coming in cold in his first NHL game in the 2nd period. The only goals scored on him were on the PK. On that 5on3 he had to cheat a little to the left because there was a man open on the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
They should keep playing Markstrom. Growing pains. The growing pains will result in a bunch of losses, and allow us to get the #1 pick in the draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
and kill our prized goalie prospects confidence in the process.

good call - real smart.
Yeah, sorry Erick, but that's a terrible idea. That could ruin his confidence. It has nothing to do with being able to handle pressure or not. You just don't do that to your prized prospect in goal. You want to ease him in as smoothly as possible, not throw him to the wolves in his first stint in the NHL.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Why was it ruled a no goal?
Whistle blown because the ref thought markstrom had it in the glove, but he didn't. He bobbled it in the air.
Play was dead. We were lucky the ref didn't see it in the air.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:21 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Good lookin' save by Brodeur, even though it would likely have gone wide.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

nice play Olesz

Old
01-23-2011, 05:23 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Should we start a thread on the main board that it was unmannered by Rolston to celebrate like that after scoring on a rookie

Old
01-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Hip to be Square

What a stinker of a game. "Oh well .. (insert Panthers cliche)"

Old
01-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I think Markstrom's looked pretty good. It's his first NHL game, he got a pretty raw deal coming in cold in his first NHL game in the 2nd period. The only goals scored on him were on the PK. On that 5on3 he had to cheat a little to the left because there was a man open on the other side.

Yeah, sorry Erick, but that's a terrible idea. That could ruin his confidence. It has nothing to do with being able to handle pressure or not. You just don't do that to your prized prospect in goal. You want to ease him in as smoothly as possible, not throw him to the wolves in his first stint in the NHL.
The adversity is going to happen, sooner or later.
Stopping pucks is stopping pucks. Better quality shooters up here, but he also has a better team around him up here.

I don't see the big deal.

If he hasn't lost his confidence in Rochester, he's not going to lose it here.

Let him have some growing pains up here. Not a big deal. It'll improve our draft slot, if anything.

He'll improve. He hasn't even been that bad today, all things considered.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:27 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Their waiting too long to shoot. So easy to block. God damnit!

Old
01-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
What was the 5th goal like? Didnt see it.

Whats gonna be the DeBoer excuse for this loss? Injuries, tired?

Old
01-23-2011, 05:30 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
What was the 5th goal like? Didnt see it.

Whats gonna be the DeBoer excuse for this loss? Injuries, tired?
Empty net.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:35 PM
flapanthersfan

Here's how we analyze this game - we sucked.

Only positive to me was Clay Wilson - I like his game. Deboer doesn't seem to trust him yet but he's pretty mobile, moves the puck well and has good vision. I'd like to see him get more ice time than Callahan who just seems like he has a live grenade on his stick every time he touches the puck.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
The adversity is going to happen, sooner or later.
Stopping pucks is stopping pucks. Better quality shooters up here, but he also has a better team around him up here.

I don't see the big deal.

If he hasn't lost his confidence in Rochester, he's not going to lose it here.

Let him have some growing pains up here. Not a big deal. It'll improve our draft slot, if anything.

He'll improve. He hasn't even been that bad today, all things considered.
Yes, the adversity is going to happen sooner or later, and I think Tallon would prefer it happen later. Come on, you've been following hockey a long time, you don't just toss your prized young goalie into the fire like that. Most teams want to ease him in and build his confidence. Confidence is a huge part of a goalie's game. Any step to ensure that you are developing Markstrom the right away is a good thing. You want to be as careful as you can with him.

He has a better team around him here than in the AHL, sure, but this NHL team is 7th worst in the NHL right now. It's still not exactly a powerhouse, and putting a young goalie with no NHL experience in the spotlight down the stretch in front of this team will result in a lot of losses, like you said. There's a difference between him being shelled in the AHL and then in the NHL. In the AHL, he's good enough to get beyond that and eventually be a good goalie and an important part of his team. He might not be ready to do that in the NHL yet, that's why you have to ease him in and make sure. Again, there's a reason why this precedent has been set with young goalies. I like what I saw today and think he will improve as long as we are careful with him. Give him 25% of the starts until Vokoun gets back, something like that.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Yes, the adversity is going to happen sooner or later, and I think Tallon would prefer it happen later. Come on, you've been following hockey a long time, you don't just toss your prized young goalie into the fire like that. Most teams want to ease him in and build his confidence. Confidence is a huge part of a goalie's game. Any step to ensure that you are developing Markstrom the right away is a good thing. You want to be as careful as you can with him.

He has a better team around him here than in the AHL, sure, but this NHL team is 7th worst in the NHL right now. It's still not exactly a powerhouse, and putting a young goalie with no NHL experience in the spotlight down the stretch in front of this team will result in a lot of losses, like you said. There's a difference between him being shelled in the AHL and then in the NHL. In the AHL, he's good enough to get beyond that and eventually be a good goalie and an important part of his team. He might not be ready to do that in the NHL yet, that's why you have to ease him in and make sure. Again, there's a reason why this precedent has been set with young goalies. I like what I saw today and think he will improve as long as we are careful with him. Give him 25% of the starts until Vokoun gets back, something like that.
While you may be right, I'm not sure if the organization is hoping it happens later, as you said.

I'm actually surprised that they pulled Clemmensen after the first period to put Markstrom in the game.
It was still a 2-0 game with 2 periods left, and the goals weren't really Clemmensen's fault (although the 2nd goal did begin because he turned the puck over).

While it was good for me because it made me want to watch the rest of the game, it was a weird move.

I think it's a sign that Vokoun is going to get traded sooner rather than later, they don't believe this team is going to contend, and they want to see if Markstrom can handle some adversity to get more games down the stretch.

It'll be interesting to see the post-game comments, as to why that move was made.

Old
01-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

will Markstrom get more starts with in the NHL the next time?

asked this in another thread as well, sorry, but I'm interested

Old
01-23-2011, 06:38 PM
BabyJagrov

I don't know but something is brewing...

Bizarre Vokoun injury... Clemmensen getting the hook after the first...

Clemmensen has been pretty good this year, I wouldn't be shocked to see Vokoun go in the next few days or weeks, and Markstrom staying here !

The Americans are horrible, it can be worse for Markstrom to be a back-up on this team than to be the go-to guy in Rochester... Speaking in terms of confidence !

But playing on a regular basis in the AHL is also a great thing !

We'll see what Tallon does for sure, but there seems to be smoke and when there's smoke, there's fire !

Old
01-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
Here's how we analyze this game - we sucked.

Only positive to me was Clay Wilson - I like his game. Deboer doesn't seem to trust him yet but he's pretty mobile, moves the puck well and has good vision. I'd like to see him get more ice time than Callahan who just seems like he has a live grenade on his stick every time he touches the puck.
He had a bunch of PP time last game. I thought that was surprising.

Old
01-23-2011, 06:45 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
He had a bunch of PP time last game. I thought that was surprising.
that's literally the only time he stepped on the ice vs Tampa - when we had a PP and in OT when he probably wanted some offense from the backend. He didn't see one even strength shift.

He wasn't playing even strength today either until we were down 4-1.

Old
01-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Laus723
Future Now

I thought Wilson looked very good today. Always square to the shooter, good angles, and played Kovalchuk very well.'