HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tatar sent down, Emmerton staying up

Old
01-23-2011, 02:48 AM
Xvash2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
There's not much point to bringing up a kid like Tatar, and then sticking him on the 4th line in a completely different role than what hes used to. If you don't think hes ready to contribute offensively, don't keep him up for 10 games. If you do think he can handle some NHL minutes, then put him in a comfortable position.

Thats one thing I can't stand about Babcock: Hes never willing to put young kids in offensive roles where they can benefit from playing with veterans. Datsyuk was terrible defensively in his first few seasons. He was a liability. But he still saw a ton of time on a line from someone he could benefit from playing with. Now guys like Filppula, Hudler, Tatar, and Leino come in, and they're either demoted fast enough to make your head spin, or they're forced to work their way up the lines. Its understandable when you've got a deep team, but not when you're playing grinders in offensive roles and giving offensive players 5 minutes a game with unskilled energy players.

It would've been nice to see what Tatar could've done with Hank and Franzen, even if it was just for one game.

[/rant]
I agree with this. Tatar is supposed to be a sniper, right? Put him with a proper playmaker.

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:59 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Osgood As DET View Post
I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Tatar looked like he was giving his 110% out there every game. Emmerton gets a lucky goal, and doesn't really stand out for 1 game and gets to stay...

Whatever...
The Wings have gotten a pretty thorough look at Tatar. Emmerton is out of options after this season, so it's more critical to see what we've got with him right now. Also, when Tatar was called up, Emmerton was injured, otherwise he may have been the one who got called up.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:02 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwood View Post
If Tatar plays with our top guys, he would be playing with more highly skilled players. But, that also means he has to be on the ice for a lot of defensive zone faceoffs and it also means that instead of spending most of his ES ice time against 4th line guys like Stahlberg or Tanner Glass, he's squaring off against top line guys like the Sedin twins and Toews, Kane, Hossa, etc. He goes from playing some of the easiest minutes on the team to playing some of the hardest. I'm not sure if that is a winning recipe.
Agreed. And, given that Tatar is not very fast, that's a big adjustment in the speed category. Tatar is not a franchise forward prospect who is virtually weakness-free, so I don't understand this desire to throw him immediately into the fire.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:27 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Emmerton didn't impress me at all his first game, i don't care that he scored it was 100% luck and a mega softie by crawford, he needs to engage, play with an edge, forecheck hard etc.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:42 PM
ThankYouBasedGod

Doesn't really matter if Emmerton impressed or stood out at all, it's one more game where we need someone to play a measly eight minutes a game. Rather have Tatar back in GR to get more playing time.

ThankYouBasedGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:11 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Tatar will be back. We're bound to have another ******* injury right?
Be quiet, or you'll jinx us, but generally speaking, you're correct.

The sad part about our injuries is that for the most part they've been freak things. Last year I thought maybe it had something to do with the team's conditioning, but it's really not. I mean, except for Ozzie's "groin" (and yes, I know it was a sports hernia) and a few of the groin pulls that we've had this year which might somehow be considered conditioning, we've had nothing but really freak injuries.

That said, I really hope Tatar stays in GR the rest of the year. Nothing against him, but I don't want to see him wear a Wings sweater again this year unless it's in the playoffs.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:50 AM
TheOctopusKid

The Red Wings system requires all forwards to understand the importance of defense. Detroit understood long ago that strong defensive play begets offensive opportunities and systemically, their best offensive produces as also some of their best defenders. This has been the defining characteristic of the last decade of Red Wings teams (2002 being the exception).

If you look at every Red Wings forward prospect over the last 10-15 years, every single one of them, regardless of their offensive potential, learns to play defense with spot duty in the bottom six - Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Franzen, Filppula - and more recently Cleary and Eaves.

Defense comes first, and when you've proven you can be trusted to protect your own zone, you're given the opportunity to play on the top 6.

This is what Ville Leino never understood. Is he gifted offensively? Yes, of course. Was he willing to put forth the effort to learn how to be backcheck and battle for possession of the puck? No, and that is why the Wings traded such an offensively gifted player. He didn't believe or work in the Detroit system and they weren't willing to compromise.

Tatar was given a quick opportunity to see where he stood developmentally and showed he could score and had the tools to succeed at the next level. The Wings saw all that they needed to and would prefer he continue developing in the AHL with 18+ minutes a night. Emmerton is being given a "spot" check as well to see where he stands developmentally and if he is capable of making the next step. Emmerton does not have the same upside at Tatar, but can still distinguish himself if he can prove to the organization that he can play aggressive, fundamentally sound defense. The Red Wings prospects need to "earn their stripes". And this is exactly why the Wings have been so successful with such limited options in the draft and how we avoid the offensively gifted - defensively lazy - superstar. Once that player makes themselves invaluable to the offensive system, it's hard to reprimand them for weak defensive play. It's too late and you've already compromised your system. Character and hardwork.

TheOctopusKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOctopusKid View Post
The Red Wings system requires all forwards to understand the importance of defense. Detroit understood long ago that strong defensive play begets offensive opportunities and systemically, their best offensive produces as also some of their best defenders. This has been the defining characteristic of the last decade of Red Wings teams (2002 being the exception).
yup and also babcock isn't a type of coach who likes to gamble. He's little detail oriented freak that wants to control most things happening on ice it seems. He hates putting out players that are weak defensively against high offensive power.

I have my own theory of why more defensive solid you are, better you offensive output is sometimes. When you are defensively aware (or trying to be aware), players tend to have bit wider vision of the ice because they would have to look at their teammates positions and such. This translate to them being more aware of the open ice that pops up offensively.

Also helping the team out and and closing that gap tends to make the team more .. active (?) all the time and less of being passenger and having more of that driver mentality. I believe they tend to think faster and can abuse oppositions defense with creative play or take advantage of small opening that much better.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote