HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

JS Giguere

Old
01-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Alex28*

vCash: 500
Why does everyone keep saying Washington? They've got Neuvirth with .911/2.55 and Varlamov with .926/2.22, all this with the team playing like crap for half the year. Plus Holtby looking like the real deal. It's a Price/Halak situation if anything. Giguere at this point is a massive downgrade from either one, and all the experience in the world doesn't count for much when you can no longer get in position quickly enough to stop the puck. Capitals aren't gonna waste their remaining cap space on a goalie when they've got a massive hole at 2nd line center to address.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:19 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

His value isn't worth alot because there's no teams that need a veteran goalie at that price.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:21 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

May be hard given he's still going to command a salary of around 1+m at the deadline, but if he can keep healthy and play well enough there may be a small market.

Any deal though would likely be in exchange for a conditional pick, and in that case Burke may just keep him on. May make more sense to keep him and squeak out a few more wins (if he's playing well enough). Will also depend on the state of Gustavsson and Reimer.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
what if a team knew that they weouldn't lose a pick till next year? like for example what if they were able to give us a big contract and say a 2nd in 2012? like for example

TO BOSTON GIGUERE

TO LEAFS RYDER +2012 2ND

Now I know that Boston doesn't needd a goalie but would a deal like that from a different team work? they get rid of a big contract and don't lose a pick until 2012.

and thats almost better for the Leafs anyay since we have all our picks in 2012 I'd be looking to add as many extra picks to that draft as possible and not worry so much about 2011
Wow? The second alone is worth more than Giguere to Boston. The last thing Boston needs is a goalie, we already have two really good ones.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Also by giving the Leafs Ryder we are making them better this season which is the last thing we want to do.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:26 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Sorry, the only team out there that needs Giggy is the Leafs or maybe the Isles but they have Nabokov now.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Ishad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
and nothing less. This guy is a consummate professional who has won the cup. He's still been relatively solid this season despite being on a team that is amongst the highest in GA. Team defense has been awful, his best games would be played in the playoffs.

Anything less than a 3rd round would be insulting him. And regarding his big contract... it's up at the end of the year.
It'll likely be somewhere in the 4th-6th round + salary dump area if he is moved at all.

What teams can take on Giggy's salary that he would be an upgrade for?

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:59 AM
81Leafs50

i would say a 4th with another pick triwn in if he signs a contract.

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:02 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
reading comprehension > you

he's saying that a deal like that from a different team
I got owned, my bad.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Flowseidon
Compton

Package him up. It the best bet, he wont look good as the centrepiece of a deal.

Flowseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:32 PM
RECsGuy*

Don't speak so soon, folks, as PLENTY can happen in the next 36 days, and I type that looking directly at the fans who swear that their team's starting goaltender is immune to injury.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 02:00 PM
noBSleafsFAN

If a bad contract was coming the other way, his value goes way up, especially if he is playing well. Maybe like (I know NYR don't want Giggy, just for cap purposes)

Drury+3rd for Giggy.

noBSleafsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 02:03 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareoftheBear View Post
Wow? The second alone is worth more than Giguere to Boston. The last thing Boston needs is a goalie, we already have two really good ones.
Looks like you didn't actually read the post, just skimmed it.

Anyways, the most i could see a team giving up for Giguere is a 3rd.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 03:28 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareoftheBear View Post
did you read the entire post? cause in it I do say that it's purely an example and that I am aware ther bruins don't need a goalie, but would a deal like that work with a different team?

I suggest you go back to school and learn to read because toy missed the entire point.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 03:28 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Danglefest View Post
agreed except washington would be better off with varlamov/neuvirth and colorado would be better off with anderson/budaj (even with andersons inconsistent play)

he really has no value to anyone but the bruins, and that value holds only in him being in the Toronto net
A team like Washington will be shopping for a veteran playoff goalie, even if he's not playing better than Varlamov/Neuvirth at the time, simply to have some security. Same goes for Colorado because Anderson just hasn't been that good.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 03:39 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
A team like Washington will be shopping for a veteran playoff goalie, even if he's not playing better than Varlamov/Neuvirth at the time, simply to have some security. Same goes for Colorado because Anderson just hasn't been that good.
I doubt they take on a veteran that makes 6 million. Washington's priority should a 2nd line center. Giggy has been no better than Anderson so I would like to think Colorado will just ride him out and hope he gets hot.

IMO, Giggy will be a Leaf after the deadline and just look forward to clearing 6 mil in cap space this summer.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 03:44 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
I doubt they take on a veteran that makes 6 million. Washington's priority should a 2nd line center. Giggy has been no better than Anderson so I would like to think Colorado will just ride him out and hope he gets hot.

IMO, Giggy will be a Leaf after the deadline and just look forward to clearing 6 mil in cap space this summer.
I believe that Washington also has enough cap space to do both. As for Colorado, they may look at it as a case where Giguere might push Anderson to be better.

That being said, I do think that he'll be a Leaf for the remainder of the year.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 03:52 PM
ProngersGap

Send a message via Yahoo to ProngersGap
I honestly don't think giggy goes anywhere. His groin and cap hit are concerns. Unless it's for a prospect or low draft pick.

ProngersGap is offline   Reply With Quote