HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Devils-Sabres

Old
01-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
Ehrhoff on the Sabres is a dream of mine, but ask any Canucks fan, and they'll tell you that he isn't leaving Vancouver. Period.

The Canucks will have over $12 million in cap space this summer, and Ehrhoff is the only top player they need to re-sign. The rest of the expiring contracts are 3rd/4th line players who can be easily replaced by guys in the minors (like Cody Hodgson or Jordan Schroeder).

By the way. I'm on capgeek right now, and it says the Sabres will have almost $23 million in cap space this off-season. HOLY CRAP. Maybe this season is a good time to get a lottery pick? New owner coming up, lots of bad contracts coming to an end, tons of cap space for our new rich owner to use. It seems like the perfect time to get a top 10 pick to build around.
The problem is that all of the money does not guarantee any sort of return since there are few impact players in positions that the Sabres need who have hit UFA. What they're going to have to do is shop for RFA's about to price themselves off a team's payscale or guys who are already signed that they might be able to afford and make a cap-space type deal. But the direct shopping for this summer is piss poor.

01-20-2011, 12:26 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Ehrhoff on the Sabres is a dream of mine, but ask any Canucks fan, and they'll tell you that he isn't leaving Vancouver. Period.

The Canucks will have over $12 million in cap space this summer, and Ehrhoff is the only top player they need to re-sign. The rest of the expiring contracts are 3rd/4th line players who can be easily replaced by guys in the minors (like Cody Hodgson or Jordan Schroeder).

By the way. I'm on capgeek right now, and it says the Sabres will have almost $23 million in cap space this off-season. HOLY CRAP. Maybe this season is a good time to get a lottery pick? New owner coming up, lots of bad contracts coming to an end, tons of cap space for our new rich owner to use. It seems like the perfect time to get a top 10 pick to build around.
Up front thats true but on the back end Bieksa is also a UFA. He is hardly a bit part playing 22+min night in all situations. The Nucks rely heavily on their top 4 and having two of them as UFAs is a big deal.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Up front thats true but on the back end Bieksa is also a UFA. He is hardly a bit part playing 22+min night in all situations. The Nucks rely heavily on their top 4 and having two of them as UFAs is a big deal.
True, but even without Bieksa, if they signed Ehrhoff their top 4 would be Ehrhoff, Edler, Hamhuis, and Ballard. Still one of the strongest top 4 in the league.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 05:24 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Does he still not make contact with anyone except by mistake?? If so I want no part of him back on this team.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 06:27 PM
joshjull

Quote:
True, but even without Bieksa, if they signed Ehrhoff their top 4 would be Ehrhoff, Edler, Hamhuis, and Ballard. Still one of the strongest top 4 in the league.
Not sure about that. Its a drop off from Bieksa to Ballard offensively and in toughness.

Bieksa has 34g 108a 108pts in 326gms.
Ballard has 35g 118a 118pts in 432gms

They have similar totals except Bieksa played in 106 fewer games.

Bieksa's physical game is superior to Ballard's as well. Ballard is a willing combatant but rarely wins. Bieksa usually handles his business and is pretty damn tough.

But Ballard has been more durable.

They better hope there is not much of a drop off from Bieksa to Ballard. Since Ballard's 4+mil per year 6yr deal has a NTC (he can pick 7 teams he is willing to be traded to).

For that coin I would rather have Bieksa.

But my original point was that they have to worry about what to do with those two (Erhoff/Bieksa).

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:20 PM
fear the grier

I wouldn't mind Hank coming back, but not at that price. 3.5 a year is too much for tallinder even with the fact that he played well with Myers factored in.

Anyone who has watched the Sabres this year knows there's serious issues, and I don't see Tallinder at that price for 3 years being a solution. I've always wanted Bieksa in Buffalo, but the stat comparision pretty much shows why Vancouver would be keeping him.

In regards to the 22 million and change in cap space, that includes 8 RFA's that will all be resigned..including Stafford it seems at this point. There's also long term extensions for Myers and Ennis that need to be signed, plus in my opinion McCormick and Montador have both earned new contracts.

There will still be a large amount of cap space available for Buffalo, and I'd put my money on a high end center, a capable 3rd line center not named Rob Niedermayer, and a decent backup goaltender so that Miller isn't playing 75 games next year.

I obviously wouldnt be upset if Bieksa, Ballard, or Erhoff found their way to Buffalo, but Reiger has always been obsessed with his young guys so I'd look to see a defense of

Myers, Leopold, Montador, Morrisonn, Weber, Sekera, Butler, and maybe a push from Gragnani to stick with the big club.

fear the grier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Amd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingbooya View Post
A Devil's fan coming in peace here, just curious on your thoughts of a proposal i've been kicking around for awhile now.

To Buffalo
Hank Tallinder

To NJD
Craig Rivet

I know he is your captain and all but it seems he has been a healthy scratch for a lot of the year and has been in the dog house for awhile now. Hank also hasn't really worked out the best in New Jersey and could use a change of scenery to help him out

The Sabres get a player who played fantastic with Myers last year and I see no reason why that couldn't happen again.

The Devils get a struggling defender in the last year of his contract which would give us some much needed cap space for this summer.

Am I close....thoughts?
I'll make you a better deal:

To NJ:
Craig Rivet

To Buffalo:
Used Puck Bag

Done, Done and Done.....

Amd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear the grier View Post
I wouldn't mind Hank coming back, but not at that price. 3.5 a year is too much for tallinder even with the fact that he played well with Myers factored in.

Anyone who has watched the Sabres this year knows there's serious issues, and I don't see Tallinder at that price for 3 years being a solution. I've always wanted Bieksa in Buffalo, but the stat comparision pretty much shows why Vancouver would be keeping him.

In regards to the 22 million and change in cap space, that includes 8 RFA's that will all be resigned..including Stafford it seems at this point. There's also long term extensions for Myers and Ennis that need to be signed, plus in my opinion McCormick and Montador have both earned new contracts.

There will still be a large amount of cap space available for Buffalo, and I'd put my money on a high end center, a capable 3rd line center not named Rob Niedermayer, and a decent backup goaltender so that Miller isn't playing 75 games next year.

I obviously wouldnt be upset if Bieksa, Ballard, or Erhoff found their way to Buffalo, but Reiger has always been obsessed with his young guys so I'd look to see a defense of

Myers, Leopold, Montador, Morrisonn, Weber, Sekera, Butler, and maybe a push from Gragnani to stick with the big club.
That very same defense core is one of the big reasons why we aren't in the playoff picture to begin with this year. Darcy would be an idiot if he just didn't change it.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote