HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Zherdev

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2011, 07:22 AM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
If we get a winger at the deadline, Nodl probably slots to the 4th liner though

Old
01-24-2011, 07:45 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
If we get a winger at the deadline, Nodl probably slots to the 4th liner though
Yep, and personally, I'll 100% be fine with that. A defensive line of Nodl-Betts-Powe would work out well.

Old
01-24-2011, 08:00 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Seeing Zherdev back-check and dump the puck makes me smile.

Old
01-24-2011, 08:01 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yep, and personally, I'll 100% be fine with that. A defensive line of Nodl-Betts-Powe would work out well.
Yeah it would be an effective 4th line. all guys are fast and good defensively.

Glencross is still my ideal target, but I'm sure there are other players who would fit as well

Old
01-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Cartsiephan*

I am one of Zherdev's biggest critics, but as of late he has been playing some real good hockey. That being said his play should make him a candidate in a trade and not to make the playoff roster. While he has a lot of flash I do not have the confidence that come the playoffs he is going to really show up, but of course that is just my opinion of the guy.

Nodl is a good fit where he is, get Richards a wing to complement Nodl and they will be a very nice line to put out there every shift and match up against other teams top lines much like yesterday.

Bottom line, here is my prediction post-trade deadline so long as Homer can make a move:

JvR-Carter-Giroux
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Nodl-Richards-????
Carcillo-Betts-Powe

Old
01-24-2011, 08:14 AM
HoverCarle*

My playoff lineup:
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
JVR-Richards-Glencross
Zherdev-Carter-Giroux
Powe-Betts-Nodl

Old
01-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGoalie View Post
Again, I ask, who would you rather have as a number 9 foward in our top 9?

It's hard to fathom having as much depth as we have at forward AND defense. One of our top 3 lines has to play with a guy that's getting paid peanuts. I would rather that guy be Nodl than anyone else that makes as much as he does(which is a necessity given our cap situation).

Richards may not benefit in the personal stats department from playing with Nodl, but the team certainly does. I would also argue, although not as vehemently, that Richards benefits from Nodl's presence on the line offensively because he takes some of the pressure off of Richie to be as defensively oriented. Richards can take more chances while playing with a guy that he knows will have his back if he gets a little deeper than he should on any given forecheck.
Well, the center isn't really the aggressive guy on the forecheck in the system they run.

You are also mistaking what I said as some actual criticism of the situation... I'm just presenting a notable point of why people have a problem with Nodl and where he is on the roster. Neither Powe or Nodl should really be in the roles they are thrust into at times... Powe, in particular, plays a harder shift than he should for this team (3rd hardest on the roster). It is what it is, but it's also frustrating to see Nodl out there struggling to keep up in the offensive zone with our best center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
That's a consequence of depth. Only way to mitigate that, I guess, is to switch Richards occasionally with another center so that you can 'spread the pain' around ...'pain' on the Flyers being defined as having to lug around weaker-than-star linemates.. like JVR and Nodl or Zherdev.
Eh, it's the consequence of having a three scoring line philosophy more than anything else, and Richards being the best center on the team. So the last couple of years they always seem to give him the weaker parts.

Old
01-24-2011, 08:44 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, the center isn't really the aggressive guy on the forecheck in the system they run.

You are also mistaking what I said as some actual criticism of the situation... I'm just presenting a notable point of why people have a problem with Nodl and where he is on the roster. Neither Powe or Nodl should really be in the roles they are thrust into at times... Powe, in particular, plays a harder shift than he should for this team (3rd hardest on the roster). It is what it is, but it's also frustrating to see Nodl out there struggling to keep up in the offensive zone with our best center.

Eh, it's the consequence of having a three scoring line philosophy more than anything else, and Richards being the best center on the team. So the last couple of years they always seem to give him the weaker parts.
EDIT:NVM **** it, I think I debated the 3 vs 2 scoring lines thing way to much

Old
01-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Not to bring up the whole 3 scoring line vs 2 again, but with the current players we have on the team, do you think we would have been as successful as we are (scoring 169 goals, etc etc) if we went with the 2 scoring lines, 1 shutdown, and a rough & tough line? This is saying we added another defensive center, and have Richards and Carter as our top 2 centers. I, personally, dont think we would have, as our team is successful BECAUSE we are rolling the three scoring lines.
IMO that is what Laviolette was doing yesterday by matching up Richards with Toews. That is also why I view Zherdev as the expendable piece and bring in a guy who will fit with Richards and Nodl, Glencross would be a good fit possibly as mentioned above, but someone who can score but is a good three-zone player first and foremost.

People can talk about all the goals you want during the regular season, but come playoffs it is more about the goals you do not give up than the ones you score when goals get tougher to come across.

Old
01-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Not to bring up the whole 3 scoring line vs 2 again, but with the current players we have on the team, do you think we would have been as successful as we are (scoring 169 goals, etc etc) if we went with the 2 scoring lines, 1 shutdown, and a rough & tough line? This is saying we added another defensive center, and have Richards and Carter as our top 2 centers. I, personally, dont think we would have, as our team is successful BECAUSE we are rolling the three scoring lines.
What ifs are rarely all that valuable... however, I'm not sure you can assume going for scoring is necessarily going to be more successful than going for stronger situational play. You also have the whole thing with the PP struggling this year, and that being a bit of an anchor on the team's scoring.

I also think the 2-1-1 line setup is more valuable come playoff time than it is during the regular season.

Old
01-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
My playoff lineup:
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
JVR-Richards-Glencross
Zherdev-Carter-Giroux
Powe-Betts-Nodl
I really think this forward line would take us to the finals. Whether it would have enough against the Canucks in 7, I don't know, but this team would tear it up

What is your proposal to get Glencross here then?

Old
01-24-2011, 08:56 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
I really think this forward line would take us to the finals. Whether it would have enough against the Canucks in 7, I don't know, but this team would tear it up

Wasn't the original proposal Carcillo+Pittsburgh's 3rd for GlenX?

Old
01-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post

Still think a guy like Nodl is much more valuable than a guy like Zherdev in the playoffs. Add Glencross or player X, Langenbrunner would have been perfect, and fill your lines with guys who can score but are going to be reliable in all situations. Playoff games are won with grit and defense, the goals come from the hard work on defense and getting to the net.

Old
01-24-2011, 09:36 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Still think a guy like Nodl is much more valuable than a guy like Zherdev in the playoffs. Add Glencross or player X, Langenbrunner would have been perfect, and fill your lines with guys who can score but are going to be reliable in all situations. Playoff games are won with grit and defense, the goals come from the hard work on defense and getting to the net.
The Flyers have enough grit and defense with or without Nodl. Zherdev, while he isn't a great defensive guy, adds something to the lineup that pretty much no one else on this team does besides maybe Giroux. When Zherdev is on, he is easily one of the league's best at stick handling and deking, etc. On the defensive and grit side, we have already have Richards, Hartnell, Betts, Powe, and to a lesser extent JVR, Carter, and Giroux, and occasionally Briere. While Nodl is definitely a good defensive player, it's not like this team is hurting for defense. If that were the case, I may agree with you that Nodl would be more valuable in the playoffs, but that is not the case and this team is rife with defense. Plus if a trade were made and Nodl stayed, a fourth line of Powe-Betts-Nodl would be a pretty solid shut-down fourth line.

Old
01-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
The Flyers have enough grit and defense with or without Nodl. Zherdev, while he isn't a great defensive guy, adds something to the lineup that pretty much no one else on this team does besides maybe Giroux. When Zherdev is on, he is easily one of the league's best at stick handling and deking, etc. On the defensive and grit side, we have already have Richards, Hartnell, Betts, Powe, and to a lesser extent JVR, Carter, and Giroux, and occasionally Briere. While Nodl is definitely a good defensive player, it's not like this team is hurting for defense. If that were the case, I may agree with you that Nodl would be more valuable in the playoffs, but that is not the case and this team is rife with defense. Plus if a trade were made and Nodl stayed, a fourth line of Powe-Betts-Nodl would be a pretty solid shut-down fourth line.
What makes the Hartnell-Briere-Leino line so tough to play against? They play defense as a unit, but also have the capacity to play in the offensive zone.

This team needs to get another guy who can handle the minutes but also play with some grit and a little more physical than what Zherdev brings. Zherdev is fine for the regular season, but in tight games where defenses win games put Nodl-Richards with a guy who can play more defined minutes than Zherdev and Philly becomes a much tougher team to paly against. They have guys to score, but they need more balance to provide guys who do all the little things, that is what Nodl provides.

Old
01-24-2011, 09:41 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Don't worry about NWO, if a player is not a 25+ goal scorer he's no good in his book
another incorrect and uninformed statement. I am so surprised. How do you draw that brillian conculsion by the way?

Old
01-24-2011, 10:05 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Wasn't the original proposal Carcillo+Pittsburgh's 3rd for GlenX?
Yeah that's what I suggested and Calgary fans seemed fine with it.

Quote:
Zherdev is a great secret weapon to have though. You have to at least give Z a chance in the playoffs, and if he ****s up, swap him with Nodl or Powe.

Old
01-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Yeah that's what I suggested and Calgary fans seemed fine with it.

Zherdev is a great secret weapon to have though. You have to at least give Z a chance in the playoffs, and if he ****s up, swap him with Nodl or Powe.
Of course they are happy for that, it is overpayment for Glencross.

Zherdev is the great unknown because he can have a very good game if it is wide open, up and down, but when the games get tight checking and defense is a priority Zherdev is not a great fit.

They have scorers, get a guy who can play defense with Richards and Nodl, work hard every shift and be a bit of a PIA to play against and this team is set for the playoffs with JvR-Carter-Giroux as the next line behind HBL. Zherdev has one point in every playoff game he has played in, if he is not scoring what else does he bring. People have to stop thinking that you can outscore teams in the playoffs, IT IS about defense.

Old
01-24-2011, 10:23 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Of course they are happy for that, it is overpayment for Glencross.

Zherdev is the great unknown because he can have a very good game if it is wide open, up and down, but when the games get tight checking and defense is a priority Zherdev is not a great fit.

They have scorers, get a guy who can play defense with Richards and Nodl, work hard every shift and be a bit of a PIA to play against and this team is set for the playoffs with JvR-Carter-Giroux as the next line behind HBL. Zherdev has one point in every playoff game he has played in, if he is not scoring what else does he bring. People have to stop thinking that you can outscore teams in the playoffs, IT IS about defense.
I have never said it isn't about defense, just that Zherdev is a good secret weapon. Even if he is on the 4th line with Powe and Betts he could be a good asset.

Have you ever even seen Glencross play? because you just described his game perfectly in the bold text. Great defensively, great on the PK, physical, 11 goals already this year. UFA at year's end making only 1.4 million so he would be easy to fit it.

Old
01-24-2011, 10:53 AM
rban*

Would they let Glencross go in xchange for Z tho?

Old
01-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
SIGH. I'm getting tired of saying this repeatedly, but Philly doesnt have much cap space, which means anyone brought in to replace Z would have to cost less than 2 mil. For that amount you wouldnt get what you want and would only degrade the team.

And where would Philly find capspace for ANOTHER winger??? Esp one of the Glencross calibre.
We are banking cap right now and would be able to take on a 2-3M contract at the deadline without moving any personnel. Assuming that Z would be waived or traded, that increases the available cap space by a further 2M.

Old
01-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Shoeny

per ESPN Trade Rumors:

"Habs eyeing Zherdev"

The Montreal Canadiens are looking for some scoring, and they might look to Philadelphia Flyers forward Nikolay Zherdev for the help, the Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch reports: "[Habs GM Pierre] Gauthier seems to think he%u2019s smarter than everybody else and likes reclamation projects."

Zherdev has struggled after coming back from Russia this season. He's on a one-year contract, and the Flyers likely won't re-sign him, so they'd love to parlay him into an asset. The Habs could probably get him at a bargain price, because he's struggled mightily this season. But because he's a low-risk rental player, there may be other clubs interested in the winger.

Old
01-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
per ESPN Trade Rumors:

"Habs eyeing Zherdev"

The Montreal Canadiens are looking for some scoring, and they might look to Philadelphia Flyers forward Nikolay Zherdev for the help, the Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch reports: "[Habs GM Pierre] Gauthier seems to think he%u2019s smarter than everybody else and likes reclamation projects."

Zherdev has struggled after coming back from Russia this season. He's on a one-year contract, and the Flyers likely won't re-sign him, so they'd love to parlay him into an asset. The Habs could probably get him at a bargain price, because he's struggled mightily this season. But because he's a low-risk rental player, there may be other clubs interested in the winger.
I'd rather keep Zherdev as an insurance policy than dump him to a playoff team for nothing.

Old
01-24-2011, 11:20 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
We are banking cap right now and would be able to take on a 2-3M contract at the deadline without moving any personnel. Assuming that Z would be waived or traded, that increases the available cap space by a further 2M.
Yeah, and if we keep Z that means Carcillo is likely the trade bait, so thats 1.05 million. Considering Glencross only makes 1.4 it's easily doable

Old
01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
per ESPN Trade Rumors:

"Habs eyeing Zherdev"

If they can get a 4th rounder for him and parlay that into a trade to bring back a winger to fit with Richards-Nodl I would be very confident about this teams chances for a long playoff run.

Closed Thread