HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Interesting tidbit about a potential market for Zherdev, though I'd be surprised that he gets dumped for "an asset"; ie, late pick or mediocre prospect. I'm with Valhoun on politely ignoring a GM looking to take a chance on Zherdev for trash. What is even more alluring is the thought of flipping Zherdev for a good pick/prospect who could be packaged to trade for Vokoun/Bryzgalov. Yes, I'm still obsessed with this idea.

Old
01-24-2011, 11:55 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
If they can get a 4th rounder for him and parlay that into a trade to bring back a winger to fit with Richards-Nodl I would be very confident about this teams chances for a long playoff run.
A fourth? The least I would take for Zherdev is a 3rd and a mid-level prospect. Holmgren is under zero obligation to divest himself of Zherdev so he can actually negotiate aggressively with a GM who shows serious interest.

Old
01-24-2011, 12:00 PM
kicksave27

Nodl is solid defensively, and very cheap right now. Just what they need.

I like Z, yeah, sometimes he's a floater and doesn't back check. But he can at times. Philly is really a good fit for him, he doesn't have to be the man, just try to backcheck and gets put with great players. I'd hope the playoffs and the possibility of earning big FA $ in the offseason would improve his playoff work ethic. If he's on in the playoffs, the Flyers are just going to destroy teams with 3 crazy lines and a solid non-shelley 4th line.

Old
01-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The flyers are not sending Z to any team in the east play-offs. Trades like that often come back to bite you in the ass

Old
01-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
A fourth? The least I would take for Zherdev is a 3rd and a mid-level prospect. Holmgren is under zero obligation to divest himself of Zherdev so he can actually negotiate aggressively with a GM who shows serious interest.
I am using the Langenbrunner trade as value, doubt a guy like Zherdev can really get too much more than a 4th, but if you can open up $2mill and get a 4th that you can flip for a guy like Glencross or similar type player it is a postive move IMO.

Old
01-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
The flyers are not sending Z to any team in the east play-offs. Trades like that often come back to bite you in the ass
Trust me, Zherdev ain't going to kill you in the playoffs.

Old
01-24-2011, 12:13 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
I am using the Langenbrunner trade as value, doubt a guy like Zherdev can really get too much more than a 4th, but if you can open up $2mill and get a 4th that you can flip for a guy like Glencross or similar type player it is a postive move IMO.
The Flyers and Devils are going in different directions, and to me that raises the asking price for a player who could play a role in getting to the playoffs and going deep. I agree that I take a player like Glencross over Zherdev 11 times out of 10, but there's no reason to get less than full value. Establish the price with Calgary first; if a 4th will get it done, then fine. But good asset management would indicate squeezing every little bit out of such a deal, especially considering the sorry state of the Phantoms. 4th and a forward prospect with a legitimate chance at making the NHL.

Old
01-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The Flyers and Devils are going in different directions, and to me that raises the asking price for a player who could play a role in getting to the playoffs and going deep. I agree that I take a player like Glencross over Zherdev 11 times out of 10, but there's no reason to get less than full value. Establish the price with Calgary first; if a 4th will get it done, then fine. But good asset management would indicate squeezing every little bit out of such a deal, especially considering the sorry state of the Phantoms. 4th and a forward prospect with a legitimate chance at making the NHL.
I agree to an extent, but the void currently on the roster to get that extra piece to fit with Richards and Nodl is worth getting whatever you can to free up the space to rbing a player back during the deadline.

If nothing can be done obviously keep Zherdev, but if a guy like Glencross is available and you can add him but it means you have to take a 4th or 5th rounder for Zherdev just get it done. You signed him for nothing, basically it would pay for itself by trading a pick for player X coming back to fill the void on the wing.

Old
01-24-2011, 12:48 PM
DenverBoone

Trading Zherdev for a 4th is insanity. He's on pace for 30 goals, has improved his defensive play, and will do fine in the playoffs on a third line.

Old
01-24-2011, 01:12 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
The Flyers won't do the Habs any favors. If they want Zherdev, they're going to have to pay the piper. A 3rd is not going to cut it.

Old
01-24-2011, 01:13 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I doubt we even trade Zherdev really. Worst case we just limit his minutes in the playoffs

Old
01-24-2011, 01:17 PM
DirkStarlight

I was worried about Zherdev in the beginning of the season about his defensive lapses that I've heard about. But after watching him play half a season, he really isn't that bad. I've noticed him back check and make some great defensive plays.

That being said, I think he needs linemates that will compliment him (IE Giroux). If we can get a winger at the trade deadline, he will be that much better, and help us more than hurt us in the playoffs. I'm not really sure who we could get for Carcillo + a pick (3rd or lower). If needed, we could also throw in Boosh so we could take ~3.8 mil back. The question is though, who wants Carcillo/Boosh?

Old
01-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkStarlight View Post
I was worried about Zherdev in the beginning of the season about his defensive lapses that I've heard about. But after watching him play half a season, he really isn't that bad. I've noticed him back check and make some great defensive plays.

That being said, I think he needs linemates that will compliment him (IE Giroux). If we can get a winger at the trade deadline, he will be that much better, and help us more than hurt us in the playoffs. I'm not really sure who we could get for Carcillo + a pick (3rd or lower). If needed, we could also throw in Boosh so we could take ~3.8 mil back. The question is though, who wants Carcillo/Boosh?
Why are we trading out backup goalie?

Old
01-24-2011, 01:27 PM
HoverCarle*

yeah makes no sense to trade Boucher as he is one of the cheapest capable backups around.

Old
01-24-2011, 01:32 PM
DirkStarlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Why are we trading out backup goalie?
If the return is good enough, why not? He's on his last year, and we can bring up Leighton. If it helps us bring a cup here then I'm all for it. I doubt anyone is gonna want MFL over Boosh. But Leighton's showed he can step in there a couple games and keep us in it. I would be ok with Bob/Leights going into the playoffs with the way Bob has been playing.

He actually looked good in the game against WBS. Even though it's in the AHL, that one sequence of saves where he made 6 in a row was good to see.

Old
01-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Shoeny

Someone needs to explain to me the infatuation with Curtis Glencross...

Old
01-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkStarlight View Post
If the return is good enough, why not? He's on his last year, and we can bring up Leighton. If it helps us bring a cup here then I'm all for it. I doubt anyone is gonna want MFL over Boosh. But Leighton's showed he can step in there a couple games and keep us in it. I would be ok with Bob/Leights going into the playoffs with the way Bob has been playing.

He actually looked good in the game against WBS. Even though it's in the AHL, that one sequence of saves where he made 6 in a row was good to see.
Paul, is that you?

Leighton is subject to re-entry waivers and if he's nabbed we're on the hook for half his salary this year and next. Michael Leighton will not be getting called up this year unless Paul Holmgren has yet another humongous brain fart.

Old
01-24-2011, 02:03 PM
DirkStarlight

Ah, yes. Brainfart of my own.

Old
01-24-2011, 02:04 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
Well it's mostly just me, but he is a 3rd line ~15 goal physical forward. Great on the PK and good defensively. Cheap expiring contract. I just think he could be a nice subtle addition, if we aren't going after any big fish

Old
01-24-2011, 02:07 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
Mostly, it's because he's good-sized, cheap, a UFA, on a team that might be selling by the deadline, and is a solid 15-20-35 type of 3rd liner who is smarter and more defensively sound than Carcillo while being slightly more offensively gifted than Nodl. He isn't a magic bullet, just a good potential add who wouldn't be out of place on one of our top 3 lines nor the PK. Carcillo and a 3rd would be more than fair, and a few CGY fans said they'd take that deal.

Old
01-24-2011, 02:20 PM
phillyfanatic

Richards does get the **** end of the stick with linemates. Unless of course Lavy considers him the true shut down center that he is. IF that is the case, then playing with Nodl is perfectly fine with me.

I say Lavy is doing it right with Nodl playing with Richards ES. They literally wiped out Towes yesterday. Let Carter and Briere lines do the scoring and Richards matchup up against Ovechkin, Crosby, Towes, et all. The great thing is, unlike all other third line/shutdown lines - Richards is also on many nights going to outscore the line he is matchup up against. Bonus.

Old
01-24-2011, 02:26 PM
phillyfanatic

I personally think Zherdev is above my expectations. As the 8th most relied upon forward on this team, he doesn't "have" to produce and if he is floating around and not backchecking, he sits on the bench (Lavy has made that clear). So on the nights we get the good Zherdev, he is usally a factor in the outcome. In the nights we get the bad Zherdev he sits on the bench and we don't miss a beat.

Win, Win. I am loving the Zherdev signing. What is he going to get, like 25 ES goals this year? I am hoping he comes back next year actually but I know he is gone (Leino is priority 1, 2 and 3).

Old
01-24-2011, 02:35 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I personally think Zherdev is above my expectations. As the 8th most relied upon forward on this team, he doesn't "have" to produce and if he is floating around and not backchecking, he sits on the bench (Lavy has made that clear). So on the nights we get the good Zherdev, he is usally a factor in the outcome. In the nights we get the bad Zherdev he sits on the bench and we don't miss a beat.

Win, Win. I am loving the Zherdev signing. What is he going to get, like 25 ES goals this year? I am hoping he comes back next year actually but I know he is gone (Leino is priority 1, 2 and 3).
I agree. It's not fair to criticize Zherdev as a signing when he is doing pretty much everything that was expected of him and chipping in some good offense.

Old
01-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I doubt we even trade Zherdev really. Worst case we just limit his minutes in the playoffs
If you have to trade his cap space to get "that guy" who would put the Flyers in a position to roll Nodl-Richards-????? as a 3rd line who would match up against any other top line I would think Homer would have to get it done.

It is like the depth on the blueline, they did not necessarily need the scoring from a 3rd pair, just a couple guys who could sustain regular shifts aginst other teams so Pronger and Timonen could take advantage of possible mismatches along the way.

Old
01-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post

As of late Zherdev has been very good, but as I have stated I think it is really important to fill out the line of Richards-Nodl to get a "checking line" if that is going to be Laviolette's gameplan, which from yesterday seems to be the case. Once Toews, Crosby, ???? steps on the ice there goes Richards and his line over the boards. Using JvR or Zherdev in that role does not make much sense and putting JvR with Carter-Giroux makes a lot of sense.

Closed Thread