HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Kings inquired about Marian Gaborik

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2011, 06:18 AM
  #151
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I would take Schenn + Simmonds + 1st and run with it.

That 1st would be very tempting too considering how poorly Kings have played so far this season. Could be a top-10 pick. They are only 4 points out of a playoff spot so that could go up in a hurry.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 07:48 AM
  #152
Blueblood 2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
We are talking about Lombardi here.....so forgeddaboutit! He talks and rarely deals. I believe he suffers from Bobby Clarke syndrome. Way too competitive to be a great GM. Has to look like he "won" every trade, right now. He might move Schenn since that verdict won't be in for years but don't hold your breath.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 08:57 AM
  #153
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
We are talking about Lombardi here.....so forgeddaboutit! He talks and rarely deals. I believe he suffers from Bobby Clarke syndrome. Way too competitive to be a great GM. Has to look like he "won" every trade, right now. He might move Schenn since that verdict won't be in for years but don't hold your breath.
True, but he's under a lot of pressure to make the playoffs. The Kings have been rebuilding for a long time and they are not as good as people back east think. A coaching change may also be in order.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:29 AM
  #154
ArtemAnisimov42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
from what i hear Lombardi WILL NOT be trading schenn. i really wanted him too. he has such a great future

ArtemAnisimov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:25 AM
  #155
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemAnisimov42 View Post
from what i hear Lombardi WILL NOT be trading schenn. i really wanted him too. he has such a great future
Then he won't be getting Gaborik.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:50 AM
  #156
howztheglass
Registered User
 
howztheglass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
True, but he's under a lot of pressure to make the playoffs. The Kings have been rebuilding for a long time and they are not as good as people back east think. A coaching change may also be in order.
Read this morning that he is fully backing his coach--which leads me to believe he'll make some kind of move--but this doubtful it will be Gabby.

How on earth any Ranger fan would turn down,

Schenn and Simmonds for Gabby are crazy--2 young studs for very good goal scorer maybe slowing down a little.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:42 AM
  #157
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by howztheglass View Post
Schenn and Simmonds for Gabby are crazy--2 young studs for very good goal scorer maybe slowing down a little.
Not to mention that he was a UFA signing to begin with and is being paid top dollar to underperform this season.

Unless people truly believe that this team is capable of going on a cup run and Gaborik can be the kind of player to lead us, which he absolutely would have to, then I can't see how someone would not be very intruiged by a deal centered around Schenn.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:48 AM
  #158
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823
 
Blatant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @blatantlacrosse
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
Maybe I would so Schenn + Simmonds +

I just am not very sure about it. There are such things as Busts, and if Schenn turns out to be one, it would be a horrible trade. The thing is, this team isnt "rebuilding" and to trade your top goal scorer and best player, mid season is saying you are not trying to win.

I mean Simmonds is having an average year. 17 points in 46 games. Lets not overvalue him too much.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:06 PM
  #159
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
Maybe I would so Schenn + Simmonds +

I just am not very sure about it. There are such things as Busts, and if Schenn turns out to be one, it would be a horrible trade. The thing is, this team isnt "rebuilding" and to trade your top goal scorer and best player, mid season is saying you are not trying to win.

I mean Simmonds is having an average year. 17 points in 46 games. Lets not overvalue him too much.
Simmonds isn't known for his scoring though. Simmonds is highly valued by many because he does everything, is a great teammate (I've heard), and plays every game like his last. That fits in perfectly with this Rangers team.

And I wouldn't trust Schenn. People weren't talking about him quite this much until he went Wayne Gretzky on the World Juniors. It's only one tournament, let's not jump the gun. I'm not saying Schenn wasn't already a good prospect, but that one tournament seems to have doubled his stock, which is a little much.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:48 PM
  #160
ArtemAnisimov42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Then he won't be getting Gaborik.
schenn is an important part of the kings future so i get why they would want to hold onto him

ArtemAnisimov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 02:07 PM
  #161
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Simmonds isn't known for his scoring though. Simmonds is highly valued by many because he does everything, is a great teammate (I've heard), and plays every game like his last. That fits in perfectly with this Rangers team.

And I wouldn't trust Schenn. People weren't talking about him quite this much until he went Wayne Gretzky on the World Juniors. It's only one tournament, let's not jump the gun. I'm not saying Schenn wasn't already a good prospect, but that one tournament seems to have doubled his stock, which is a little much.
Schenn was still a on-the-radar prospect. He did go #5 overall just after Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, and Evander Kane. None of which are point-per-game players yet. I don't see why Schenn would be thought to be better than that group. Maybe more potential? But then again, people think Kreider (14 spots after Schenn) is gonna be a real hoot of a player so the draft position may have very little to do with it. Anyways, my original point was he had a lot of hype prior to WJCs but the WJCs did make him stand out. It also makes LA fans think he is going to be a lock as an All-Star Olympic forward which seems bananas to me.

for me, if you want Gaborik, I'll need to see 2 out of 3 as the core of what LA offers:
Brown, Schenn, Johnson.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 02:09 PM
  #162
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,365
vCash: 500
A kind of flip side to this is - how many players would you deal a package of Dubinsky + Kreider for?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 02:16 PM
  #163
Nemchinov13
Registered User
 
Nemchinov13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gravesend
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
A kind of flip side to this is - how many players would you deal a package of Dubinsky + Kreider for?
Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Duchene, Doughty, Patrick Kane... Not a lot, and they have to be legit superstars.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 02:18 PM
  #164
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Duchene, Doughty, Patrick Kane... Not a lot, and they have to be legit superstars.
I mean a package of Dubinsky + Kreider because outside of Duchene, I don't think those two alone would get you any of the players you mentioned.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 04:06 PM
  #165
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,290
vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I would not take that deal. Schenn is gonna be good but it's still possible he ends up an NHL player with a 60 pt upside which isn't really good value for a player like Gaborik. I cannot share your optimism. I need to see Jack Johnson or Dustin Brown in there (established players) somewhere if I'm dealing Gaborik. Schenn as the key piece in the deal is not enough for me.



hahaha, you are under valuing Doughty here. There is no way we could get that deal. At the very least, those draft picks would have to be going the other way. Doughty > Gaborik. Schenn > Sauer, maybe even Sauer + Grachev (i.e. I don't think you could get Schenn at that price). + Gaborik supposed be enough impetus to move Doughty AND Schenn? GTFO! (I mean this in the friendliest of ways)
I did say a hefty payment =). Many on the Kings and trade boards are looking at JJ as the better of the two between Doughty and JJ lately...IMO that's a miopic view as Doughty is going to have the better career when all is said and done. Still as of now, on any given season Gabby could be in the top5 in scoring is still the top10 players in the league, Doughty is not there yet so there's no way he's worthy more than Gabby straight up, to say so severely undervalues how talented of a player Gaborik is. Don't let his current slump devalue him.

Gaborik is just as skilled as Kovaulchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Stamkos or Parise. If one of them were signed for 7m and had 3 years left, how much would they pull in return? The only reason why the Rangers got him is because everyone else was afraid to sign him due to injury concerns. He's been Healthy so those concerns are going away now. Furthermore if the team he were on didn't want to trade him, you'd have to pay a little more to convince them. Adding Gabby to LA makes them a real contender.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
  #166
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
It's Hockey, and Gaborik is one of the elite. If you dont think that an elite goal scorer will help us in the playoffs, even if he steps his game up a little then...

Never mind, but its gonna be hard to keep getting contributions from everyone all the time. It helps the team greatly having such a great player in the lineup. It draws the other teams top line every game.

It's really annoying how much of bandwagon fans there are here saying to trade gaborik for an unproven prospect. Do you know how stupid that sounds? I'm not at all defending the season that he has had, but really the trade talks are kinda unnecessary.
It's also annoying people say things like

Schenn 2 pts

Gabs hundreds (This is a "You are who you are" kind of statement.)

Then others go on to say gabs is elite.(This is a you are what you could be or were type of statement b/c this year he's not elite). he's aaverage at best this whole year. he's got elite potential but so does Schenn. That argument is weak. Not saying you were the one who said all that but it was said.

What IS a strong arguement or at least a decent one is Gabs is injured and inconsistent and schenn seems to be a near sure thing and if you could dump drury too you have room for BR who is better than gabs. Even without ridding Drury it STILL frees up room for Br who is better than gabs. of course then BR COULD still be signed by dallas. not as cut and dry as nearly everyone is makign it out to be.

Also some1 said something along the lines of "How can we let Dubs and co shoulder the scoring load?" newsflash they have all season and they're getting btter every game every season. gabs is expendable now which is a fantsstic "problem" to have.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
  #167
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I mean a package of Dubinsky + Kreider because outside of Duchene, I don't think those two alone would get you any of the players you mentioned.
There's noone I'd give those two up for because there's players that wouldn't be good enough for me, and then there's others that you couldn't get for them (like your Crosbys). To me a Dubi+Kreider package falls right in the middle. There's noone good enough for me to trade them, except for players we couldn't get anyway.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:39 PM
  #168
Cake or Death
.
 
Cake or Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
It's also annoying people say things like

Schenn 2 pts

Gabs hundreds (This is a "You are who you are" kind of statement.)
Sorry you find facts annoying. But the fact is, one guy has consistently been an elite point scorer year after year in the NHL, the other guy has proven zero at the NHL level. Those are simply facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Then others go on to say gabs is elite.(This is a you are what you could be or were type of statement b/c this year he's not elite). he's aaverage at best this whole year. he's got elite potential but so does Schenn. That argument is weak. Not saying you were the one who said all that but it was said.
He's having an off season and he's still top 20 in the league in goals per game. That's average, at best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
What IS a strong arguement or at least a decent one is Gabs is injured and inconsistent and schenn seems to be a near sure thing and if you could dump drury too you have room for BR who is better than gabs. Even without ridding Drury it STILL frees up room for Br who is better than gabs. of course then BR COULD still be signed by dallas. not as cut and dry as nearly everyone is makign it out to be.
Sorry, that is not a strong argument. You think Gaborik is inconsistent and Schenn seems to be a near sure thing? Schenn has proven nothing at the NHL level. He might be great, he might be one of the tons of mediocre top ten picks, he might be another top 10 bust. We'll see at some point. But Gaborik is NHL proven to consistently be one of the most lethal scorers in the league - season after season. For apples to apples for guys who haven't played every season, here are the top 10 guys in goals per game from the lockout to today:

Ovechkin .65
Gaborik .56
Kovalchuk .55
Heatley .53
Stamkos .53
Crosby .52
Semin .50
Selanne .48
Iginla .47
Nash .47

And here are the top 10 players in points per game since the lockout:

Crosby 1.39
Ovechkin 1.30
Thornton 1.22
Malkin 1.19
Datsyuk 1.11
Spezza 1.09
Heatley 1.09
Gaborik 1.08
Afredsson 1.07
H Sedin 1.06

Gaborik looks pretty elite, pretty proven, and pretty consistent to me. I understand where you are coming from, and Gaborik is definitely a huge health risk, but the guy is top tier elite. And I don't think Gaborik's 30 some odd games this season disproves that any more than Schenn's doing well in the WHL somehow qualifies him as a guaranteed NHL success or a potential elite.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:07 AM
  #169
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
It's also annoying people say things like

Schenn 2 pts

Gabs hundreds (This is a "You are who you are" kind of statement.)

Then others go on to say gabs is elite.(This is a you are what you could be or were type of statement b/c this year he's not elite). he's aaverage at best this whole year. he's got elite potential but so does Schenn. That argument is weak. Not saying you were the one who said all that but it was said.

What IS a strong arguement or at least a decent one is Gabs is injured and inconsistent and schenn seems to be a near sure thing and if you could dump drury too you have room for BR who is better than gabs. Even without ridding Drury it STILL frees up room for Br who is better than gabs. of course then BR COULD still be signed by dallas. not as cut and dry as nearly everyone is makign it out to be.

Also some1 said something along the lines of "How can we let Dubs and co shoulder the scoring load?" newsflash they have all season and they're getting btter every game every season. gabs is expendable now which is a fantsstic "problem" to have.
I was the one who said it. Its ok you can drop my name I dont mind.

I know the argument I'm making. I also made it clear that we dont know how Schenn will pan out. And no, we dont know that schenn is a near sure thing. He has a lot of talent, a lot of POTENTIAL but until it is reached thats all it really is....potential.

Not saying his goal tonight was pretty, but Gaborik has 16 on the season. It is pretty likely that he will reach 30. He has shown he can just go off on a team regardless of where they are in the standings. The truth is even if he isnt scoring hat tricks against the Penguins he is still doing somethng that not many players can do and that is scoring multiple hat tricks in just one season. Thats what separates him from the rest. Thats what makes him an ELITE player. He is a pure goal scorer. He has struggled. That doesnt mean he's not elite anymore. He could get hot and all the sudden maybe he's finishing with 35 goals. Then his season doesnt look so bad anymore. And we know he can get hot because HE IS A PROVEN GOAL SCORER IN THIS LEAGUE. Schenn is not. That is the difference and its a huge one. You're trading someone who WILL help us in the playoffs considering we have no one else like him nor is a player of his caliber replaceable unless of course your giving your future for that dynamo player. Gaborik doesnt have "elite potential" because he has already proven to be an elite forward in the league. Schenn has "elite potential" because he has proven nothing yet. Theres a difference.

Stop with the dumping of drury. It is not going to happen.

Why are we adding richards if gaborik isnt going to be here. The whole point of bringing Richards here is so he can play with gaborik.

No Richards is not a better player than gaborik. They are two different players to begin with. Richards is a playmaker. Gaborik is a sniper. But if you want to look at stats then fine I'll give you some:

Gaborik has scored 30+ goals 4 times
Gaborik has scored 40+ goals 2 times

Richards has never scored 30 goals
Richards has 695 points in 748 GP

Gaborik has 553 points in 615 GP

Not much of a difference there. Richards has had injury problems. He has missed time. Your argument is the one thats weak. Gaborik is an elite goal scorer on a team that doesnt have goal scorers. You dont trade him away because you THINK dubinsky/callahan/etc. will be able to develop more and take on that scoring when that really isnt their game.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.