LA Angels of Anaheim Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2011, 03:00 AM
Corey Perry*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by X Hockeystatic X View Post
He balked when he was asked to give a better player LESS than he is now going to pay Vernon Wells. This is a terrible trade for Anaheim. Unbelievable offseason.
I read the numbers wrong, his contract his horrid. I didn't know he was that expensive.

Good thing I gave up baseball, or my blood pressure would be through the roof. (and I'm not old)

Old
01-22-2011, 03:12 AM
Mooseduck

Toronto thumps Anaheim on back to back nights.
Did Bob negotiate that for Arte last night

$23M per season is drunken sailor territory

Old
01-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Fighter
Fighting my way

I actually liked Napoli.

But... Wells, with that contract?!? Horrid trade

Old
01-22-2011, 02:41 PM
caliamad

Maybe Toronto is eating some of that salary and it just hasnt' been disclosed yet... I hope.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Nikko*

W T F do you guys all give a **** about the salary for? There is no cap... and everything Arte and Tony have said about not having the financial resources for things has obv been bull. If we are going to complain about something here let's keep it on the fact that Crawford would have been cheaper annually or that Wells could have already seen his best seasons as a player. Whining about how much money it is makes no difference to any of us... these morons are obviously going to throw **** tons of money wherever they want. So lets just complain about them being idiots.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Kingjordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
W T F do you guys all give a **** about the salary for? There is no cap... and everything Arte and Tony have said about not having the financial resources for things has obv been bull. If we are going to complain about something here let's keep it on the fact that Crawford would have been cheaper annually or that Wells could have already seen his best seasons as a player. Whining about how much money it is makes no difference to any of us... these morons are obviously going to throw **** tons of money wherever they want. So lets just complain about them being idiots.

Yea but that is $$$ they wont use next season or for the next 4 years..

Horrible trade... King Albert is a FA next season why not spend that $$$ on him..

We do have the worst GM in baseball

Old
01-22-2011, 03:45 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
This. Baseball is so different from Hockey financially speaking. No Cap. No need for guys on ELC's, etc. If the owner can pay and doesnt mind paying, why should the fans care. As far as I am concerned, Wells makes the Angels better and I dont really care about his contract.

And as for getting Puljos, no chance in HELL he ever becomes a FA. St. Louis sings him before then.

Angels are better with Wells than than would have been with Napoli and Rivera. Thats all that really matters. With the Angels pitching and now a better lineup with Wells, Hunter and Morales, they have a good shot to win the AL west and maybe get farther.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:48 PM
jiggsawpuzzle35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post

Horrible trade... King Albert is a FA next season why not spend that $$$ on him..

He did get us Dan Haren last season. Had Haren been a free agent this year, he would have gotten a contract close to what Cliff Lee got. This trade doesn't look good now, but I'm sure it will pay off this season.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggsawpuzzle35 View Post
This trade doesn't look good now, but I'm sure it will pay off this season.
Don't be so sure about that. With Napoli gone that could very well mean more lost at bats going to Jeff Mathis, and Wells' HRs won't translate in this ballpark. Everyone was hitting it out in Toronto last year, and Wells' road splits are pretty damn bad.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

They weren't going to re-sign Napoli and he deserves a chance to play regularly. Rivera I don't think will be missed that much, Wells is definitely an upgrade.

From the standpoint of talent, they got better.

Now four years $86M with no substantial salary relief from Toronto, yikes, you're paying Mauer/Howard money for a guy that might be not even wind up as your best outfielder.

We'll see how it affects their spending, could be Gary Matthews Jr part deux as far as a bad gamble that limits flexibility.

01-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Kingjordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
They weren't going to re-sign Napoli and he deserves a chance to play regularly. Rivera I don't think will be missed that much, Wells is definitely an upgrade.

From the standpoint of talent, they got better.

Now four years $86M with no substantial salary relief from Toronto, yikes, you're paying Mauer/Howard money for a guy that might be not even wind up as your best outfielder.

We'll see how it affects their spending, could be Gary Matthews Jr part deux as far as a bad gamble that limits flexibility.

I know when we traded him we are paying his full $$$ so when does he come off the books?

Old
01-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Static

Quote:
I know when we traded him we are paying his full $$$ so when does he come off the books?
This is the last year the Angels will be paying Little Sarge 11 million dollars to do nothing. I think Justin Speier too, but I can't remember.

Old
01-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Montanaheim
Go Ducks

This trade isn't as terrible as many would have you think. Wells will fit in nicely in the lineup and an outfield of Wells-Bourjos-Torii is studly defensively. Yes he is on a terrible contract no doubt, I agree wholeheartedly. But its Moreno's money and not mine so I can't complain too much. I'm glad we got rid of Rivera, mixed on Napoli, and I'm just praying Mathis can hit over .200 in the nine spot.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:59 PM
gradeAducksfan

I really do think the Angels need to go after a 3rd baseman. We all know watching the Angels that Woods isn't working out. The Angels need someone to put up at least 15 homers from that spot. I would welcome Vlad back for the DH

I think the starting pitching is going to do pretty well this season. Angels get a solid 3rd baseman then we will be OK

Old
01-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Sean Garrity
MAGNUSIFENT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradeAducksfan View Post
I really do think the Angels need to go after a 3rd baseman. We all know watching the Angels that Woods isn't working out. The Angels need someone to put up at least 15 homers from that spot. I would welcome Vlad back for the DH

I think the starting pitching is going to do pretty well this season. Angels get a solid 3rd baseman then we will be OK
I think Wood can hit 15 jacks... problem is he will hit .200 doing it. I would like to give him half of the season to see if he can hit because he has the talent, he just hasn't put it together yet. I would've rather paid Wells money to get Beltre though.

Old
01-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Nikko*

Quote:

My point is they wouldn't go after Pujols bc they won't compete with the Yankees or Sox... even if it is cheaper (Crawford). Don't get me wrong it was a dumb move... but don't expect that money to have gone toward something useful anyways.

Old
01-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Don't be so sure about that. With Napoli gone that could very well mean more lost at bats going to Jeff Mathis, and Wells' HRs won't translate in this ballpark. Everyone was hitting it out in Toronto last year, and Wells' road splits are pretty damn bad.
Last year his splits were bad, the years before they weren't at all. Rogers center looked bad last year because their pitching staff was young and upcoming as opposed to good in the now and their team was one of the greatest HR teams ever. Angels stadium and Rogers center are similar enough and both quite neutral, if he keeps up his good play following that injury, he'll be fine.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:29 PM
gradeAducksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
I think Wood can hit 15 jacks... problem is he will hit .200 doing it. I would like to give him half of the season to see if he can hit because he has the talent, he just hasn't put it together yet. I would've rather paid Wells money to get Beltre though.
I agree Beltre would have helped out a lot on this team. Maybe getting Vald back to DH. I think that would have been a tough lineup to pitch too. I'm telling you I don't think Woods has got what it takes to be in the big leagues! I hope that I'm wrong and he puts up 20-25 w/ 80 + RBI's

Old
01-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
There's a reason to be cautiously optimistic about Wood, by the looks of the stats I last seen, he's been working on his contact as opposed to his power in winter ball(had an impressive average but something like 2 dingers). But, again, cautious optimism.

Old
01-23-2011, 09:19 PM
duxfever

Send a message via AIM to duxfever
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPeyton View Post
There's a reason to be cautiously optimistic about Wood, by the looks of the stats I last seen, he's been working on his contact as opposed to his power in winter ball(had an impressive average but something like 2 dingers). But, again, cautious optimism.
To be honest though, those AFL numbers are pretty worthless. Wood is what, 25, and he was playing against 18-20 year olds. I think it would be foolish to think he would we be able to provide anything more than a bat off the bench in late innings.

Old
01-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfever View Post
To be honest though, those AFL numbers are pretty worthless. Wood is what, 25, and he was playing against 18-20 year olds. I think it would be foolish to think he would we be able to provide anything more than a bat off the bench in late innings.
Oh, completely worthless, but IMO they tell me that he is working on it, so who knows. Like I said, cautious optimism. I still expect nothing from the guy, but hey, stranger things have happened.

Old
01-24-2011, 12:35 AM
duxfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPeyton View Post
Oh, completely worthless, but IMO they tell me that he is working on it, so who knows. Like I said, cautious optimism. I still expect nothing from the guy, but hey, stranger things have happened.
For sure. I hope I am wrong.

Old
01-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Nikko*

That guy is a jack off. End the Brandon Wood project.

Old
01-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Static

He's a good kid, just can't hit the breaking ball for the life of him. The list of Angel prospects in the last five years or so that were supposed to be Allstar caliber is beyond depressing:

Kendrick
Aybar
Kotchman
McPhereson
Wood
Adenhart
Mathis

That's a tough list to look at.

Old
01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
duxfever

Quote:
He's a good kid, just can't hit the breaking ball for the life of him. The list of Angel prospects in the last five years or so that were supposed to be Allstar caliber is beyond depressing:

Kendrick
Aybar
Kotchman
McPhereson
Wood
Adenhart
Mathis

That's a tough list to look at.
That one still hurts the worst.

Closed Thread