HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unsung Heroes

Old
01-24-2011, 03:33 PM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I would say Torts is it.

You don't have THIS many players producing above expectations without the coach doing something right.
He demands so much from people who MIGHT make the team before the season gets under way. It is always important to have a strong farm system. But when you're playing for Tortorella, you're job is hardly secure while there's little room for lackadaisical effort. With kids flowing through the pipeline, you're easily expendable if the coach is not seeing an assertive and/or conscientious effort on the player's part to take care of the basics (i.e.,maintain a high fitness level while making hard work your every day normal routine so you're ready when it comes time for team practices and camps. Then the games come easy when you're fully prepared). So the end result is a change in attitude. A level of confidence, so high, you're sure no one can threaten your job security."

There's so many players who's skill level are around the same when there's so few spots available. In a sense, I think Tortorella feels there's only one way to find out which player stands above the others who, are unfortunately weeded out. So for Tortorella, it comes down to a player's degree of dedication to conditioning and an effort to continuously improve upon your game (i.e.,much like Boyle did with the figure skater he worked with to improve his stride).

Not to mention (although he may come across as arrogant) he doesn't cut corners and "tells it like it is." He won't budge on certain questions if he feels what ever is being asked essentially "has to stay between he and his players."

So with all of these factors you can see how he keeps a real tight nit group. Especially if no one's job is secure, I think it brings the team closer. Gives them a "we're all in it together" mentality. If everyone is working as hard as possible to try and win, no one's job is in jeopardy, because that's the one constant being asked constantly. Hard work and discipline. So right now we're in the playoffs. I don't know how much longer that could possibly last however with all of these key injuries.

But I think Tortorella's coaching style (while at times making him look classless, hypocritical, and/or like a crazed lunatic, incapable of controlling his emotions) and personality type, which doesn't necessarily conform, or relate well to the NY jounalists, especially right after a game when Tortorella appears most impulsive, anxious, burnt, burdened, and just doesn't want to be bothered by the media at that time. The game should be fresh in his head, but it seems the opposite is true. Instead of being ready to answer questions with a clear lucid memory, he always makes a claim that he needs to revert back to "the tape" I just think he needs to unwind.

He reminds me of a throw back, disheveled - no non sense disciplinarian, with unconventional (and unpredictable) behavioral patterns and "clown like" behavior whose eccentricities and actions behind the bench should never be construed as a model example of a typical professional sports coach.

But at the same time, these are the same distinctions that contribute to his success thus far, as a hockey coach.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Garden Mystique

vCash: 500
My Vote is Stepan kids 20 years old and is 2nd on are team in scoring. He also is the best passer on are team IMO

Garden Mystique is online now   Reply With Quote