HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

40th Obsequious Banter Thread: 40 Daze and 40 Knights

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2011, 02:13 PM
DenverBoone

vCash: 500
I wish I could contribute more to the history discussion here other than the fact that I had the squirts last night.

Old
01-24-2011, 03:29 PM
chaosof99*

You guys should just watch SportsCentre instead

Old
01-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Don't get me wrong, slavery caused just about every aspect of the split between north and south, including the splits between various religious groups. But saying it was "just slavery" oversimplifies it, I think. I see it in the same light as "Hitler caused WWII by invading Poland."

There was more going on beneath the surface, and that just doesn't get addressed. Since the effects of the Civil War can still be observed in the present day, that strikes me as a great injustice. Americans should have a better understanding of the Revolution and the Civil War, but neither really gets covered well.

Yes, I am biased towards VA since I grew up here. I like to play devil's advocate and call shenanigans on Lincoln for not letting VA remain neutral like Massachusetts had done in 1812. Not that it really mattered at the time, knowing VA then they probably would have refused to let Federal troops pass through, or would have sold armaments from Tredegar to the CSA, and forced war upon themselves. But that is exactly what it is: playing devil's advocate. No state laying between North and South could have hoped to stay out.

Stonehands, if you get a chance, VT has the entirety of the Richmond Dispatch on microfilm. The issues covering the Convention and Sumter are very interesting to read. I heard that the University of Richmond was working on making that available online as well, but I don't know if that project is still going on.

The argument that the South would have won with Euro involvement sucks. I'm at work and don't have time to expound on that, so I'll just leave it at "it sucks."

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
You guys should just watch SportsCentre instead
I don't get the Canadian version, but watching the American version is like driving nails into your knees.

Old
01-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Oh crap, it's nearly time for a new Banter Thread. We need a title.

Mez Dispenser was suggested somewhere earlier. Any other thoughts?

Old
01-24-2011, 04:31 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Oh crap, it's nearly time for a new Banter Thread. We need a title.

Mez Dispenser was suggested somewhere earlier. Any other thoughts?
Something with MEZmerising? MEZZed up? MEZ with the bull you get the horns? Etc, etc, etc.

Old
01-24-2011, 04:37 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
I like mez dispenser fine.

Its now Opian Decree

Old
01-24-2011, 04:40 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Magnum Opus one could say

Old
01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Villedelphia*

wow, I just traded michael ****ing leighton to dallas for first round pick in NHL 11

Old
01-24-2011, 04:54 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Woot. 2TB HDD will be here tomorrow. Just bought my brother a SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8GB black for his birthday (MicroSD card in the thing and good sound). Fun day of shopping...

Old
01-24-2011, 05:22 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Watching a documentary about North Korea on Netflix streaming...wow, be glad you live in US/Canada.

Old
01-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Unlike the illustrious George Washington, I can tell a lie. so....yes. I get it.
I meant that I wasn't getting the joke.

Old
01-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Watching a documentary about North Korea on Netflix streaming...wow, be glad you live in US/Canada.
Yeah, NK is a depressing place, and it's only gotten worse since that was made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I meant that I wasn't getting the joke.
Apparently I can't read.

Old
01-24-2011, 06:18 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I just ate way too much steak, french fries, and ice cream. I can't move, and yet, I am very happy.

Old
01-24-2011, 07:00 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, slavery caused just about every aspect of the split between north and south, including the splits between various religious groups. But saying it was "just slavery" oversimplifies it, I think. I see it in the same light as "Hitler caused WWII by invading Poland."

There was more going on beneath the surface, and that just doesn't get addressed. Since the effects of the Civil War can still be observed in the present day, that strikes me as a great injustice. Americans should have a better understanding of the Revolution and the Civil War, but neither really gets covered well.

Yes, I am biased towards VA since I grew up here. I like to play devil's advocate and call shenanigans on Lincoln for not letting VA remain neutral like Massachusetts had done in 1812. Not that it really mattered at the time, knowing VA then they probably would have refused to let Federal troops pass through, or would have sold armaments from Tredegar to the CSA, and forced war upon themselves. But that is exactly what it is: playing devil's advocate. No state laying between North and South could have hoped to stay out.

Stonehands, if you get a chance, VT has the entirety of the Richmond Dispatch on microfilm. The issues covering the Convention and Sumter are very interesting to read. I heard that the University of Richmond was working on making that available online as well, but I don't know if that project is still going on.

The argument that the South would have won with Euro involvement sucks. I'm at work and don't have time to expound on that, so I'll just leave it at "it sucks."
Wait, this isn't even close for my money. I mean, slavery was a burning issue that divided the country for most of the 19th Century. You could compare Fort Sumter to Poland seeing as the attack on Fort Sumter touched off the war, but comparing slavery to Poland makes no sense IMO. Poland was a minor issue, what Hitler wanted was to conquer Europe.

I've never gotten the (relatively full of) BS argument about "state's rights." The states wanted their "rights" so that they could enforce slavery and also continue to try and enforce it out West.

The fact that people down South really do believe that it was about state government is really ****ing scary as is the fact that most of those retards own assault weapons.

Old
01-24-2011, 07:15 PM
PhillyPhantic

I agree. The Civil War's root cause is the issue of slavery. Even the South at the time admitted it. All the other issues such as "state's right" and "limited federal government" are derivatives of the slavery issues.
I'm actually very curious to what modern south sympathizers have to say about the issue. Surely they can say it's not the only issue that drove the split, but to deny it's central contribution to the conflict is a bit of a stretch...

Old
01-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

People did dearly care about things like state's rights and whatnot. That needs to be considered. Slavery fueled it all for the policy makers, but there are many facets to it. Saying it was just the one thing behind it all, motivating all involved is a cop out. Take Lee for instance; he didn't care for the institution of slavery, and immediately began arranging to have the slaves his wife inherited freed. He was fighting to defend his home, Virginia. That sentiment motivated many of the poor farmers who could never hope to own a slave as well. Regional patriotism was involved as well, along with different cultures. Those factors are nearly as important as the slave issue.

You are right though. Poland is more like Sumter. Instead, it's like saying WWII was caused "solely by Versailles." It's a statement that has a lot of merit, but it isn't the whole picture.

Also, I do not deny that it was the central cause. If it comes across that way, it's because I'm failing to communicate my position clearly.

Old
01-24-2011, 09:35 PM
TheLegendkiller

Just finished watching the Rangers/Caps game. The Rangers have like 8 guys out with injuries and filled all their spots with their AHLers. They kept pace with the Caps and held them to just 1 goal. They beat them in a shootout and did all of this with their AHL guys. If they continue with this new direction of bringing up young talent then their gonna be a pain in the ass to deal with in the future. We need some young talent in the AHL and soon.

Old
01-24-2011, 09:36 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I just ate way too much steak, french fries, and ice cream. I can't move, and yet, I am very happy.
Awesome. I had chili that cooked in the crockpot all day. I passed out for most of the second half of Caps/Rags.

Old
01-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Terence Peterman

While I like Meszaros, I'm still in favor of something like "A Begrudging Remembrance of Andrew Alberts"

And all this Civil War talk is awesome. For the record, I strongly dislike Lincoln.

Old
01-24-2011, 09:46 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
While I like Meszaros, I'm still in favor of something like "A Begrudging Remembrance of Andrew Alberts"

And all this Civil War talk is awesome. For the record, I strongly dislike Lincoln.
Por que?

Old
01-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Keeping with the food theme I made some chocolate chip cookies which I haven't done that in forever. God I missed licking the electric mixer beaters.

Anywho that's me helping out to getting this thing to the next OT thread. The Mez Dispenser, or whatever you guys are gonna call it. I'd offer:
The Mesz Hall, One Fine Mesz, or perhaps Defensive Mesziah.

Old
01-24-2011, 10:18 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
Keeping with the food theme I made some chocolate chip cookies which I haven't done that in forever. God I missed licking the electric mixer beaters.

Anywho that's me helping out to getting this thing to the next OT thread. The Mez Dispenser, or whatever you guys are gonna call it. I'd offer:
The Mesz Hall, One Fine Mesz, or perhaps Defensive Mesziah.

Meszmerizing Puckings 2.

I'm fully aware I may be the only person here who gets that joke.

Old
01-24-2011, 10:20 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Por que?
I'm gonna guess that this is a Habeas Corpus issue.

Old
01-24-2011, 10:30 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1337
This is locked.

#41 is now open.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=868813

Closed Thread