HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

TSN: Itīs not done yet

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2005, 08:54 AM
felixno44

vCash: 500
TSN: Itīs not done yet

looks like the la times lost some of itīs credibility...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

article says maybe this weekend, rather at the beginning of next week.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:01 AM
chiavsfan

Already a thread on this

The other "deal" thread

Old
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixno44

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

article says maybe this weekend, rather at the beginning of next week.
To be fair, they seem to be jumping the gun and do say that it will be announced early next week - but I don't see them losing credibility (not as if they were known as a source of NHL news or anything in any case)...

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
the reporting of the lockout in the LA Times has never been accurate

Old
07-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Jaded-Fan

Add them to the list of news sources that have lost their credibility in this . . .

I think that the various parties are using the media to influence their positions with premature and down right wrong leaks. How many times have we seen this in the past? How many times have we seen competing and totally opposite leaks often within hours of one another. I take everything with a huge grain of salt these days, until I see Bettman and Co. stand up and announce it themselves.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:04 AM
DARKSIDE

Look's like there could be a battle over 2004/2005 contracts and unfortunately, it looks like Bettman wants his own "Little Big Horn."

Old
07-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer
To be fair, they seem to be jumping the gun and do say that it will be announced early next week - but I don't see them losing credibility (not as if they were known as a source of NHL news or anything in any case)...
Helene Elliott is a HOF hockey writer... I don't think she loses ANY credibility. What about Stan Fischler and Al Strachan... They both said there would be a Luxury Tax. No mention of it thought. If there isn't one, do THEY lose credibility?

Old
07-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Jaded-Fan

Just a note, from the TSN article. If TSN trumps LA Times . . . then the lottery sounds a hell of a lot like what we heard of Bettman's plan, with the 4, 3, 2, 1 lottery balls:

The Times reported some details of what it believes will be in the new accord. One of them was that when the NHL entry draft lottery is held to determine order of selection that every team will have an equal chance -- one in 30 -- of getting the first overall pick and the right to choose phenom Sidney Crosby.

Sources tell TSN that when the lottery is conducted, it will be a slightly weighted lottery, giving the teams that have performed poorly over the last three or four seasons a slightly better chance than those who have performed well.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129820

Old
07-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixno44
Just because folks deny something publicly, it does not make it untrue.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:17 AM
bluebleeder38

I'd like to think that ESPN, the LA Times, and USA Today wouldn't risk being wrong on this...then again, although I'm not sure about the LA Times and USA Today, ESPN did have the false report of the lockout being over in February on their website.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebleeder38
I'd like to think that ESPN, the LA Times, and USA Today wouldn't risk being wrong on this...then again, although I'm not sure about the LA Times and USA Today, ESPN did have the false report of the lockout being over in February on their website.
Again, it's not ESPN and USAToday reporting it. It's the LA Times being used as a source by the Associated Press, whose story is being picked up by ESPN and USAToday. That should be good enough for most, if they know how things work.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:22 AM
goalie311

It's just a matter of a media outlet trying to be the 1st one to report on when the lockout ends - 'cause if it did end today or tomorrw, then they could say "See?".
Personally, I don't they care much about credibility these days - if they're wrong, then they'll say "Well, that's what our sources said."
In any event, it gets people talking and gets the LA times noticed.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Gunning
Again, it's not ESPN and USAToday reporting it. It's the LA Times being used as a source by the Associated Press, whose story is being picked up by ESPN and USAToday. That should be good enough for most, if they know how things work.

As quoted in the TSN article, both the NHLPA and League officials made a point of not only denying the story, but denying took the time do deny specific parts of the story and tell how the reality differed (ie, the draft for instance). What more do you need to disbelieve?

Old
07-07-2005, 09:28 AM
Poddubny

Eklund just reported that the NHL is now denying it too.
Doesn't get much more reliable than that...

Old
07-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
As quoted in the TSN article, both the NHLPA and League officials made a point of not only denying the story, but denying took the time do deny specific parts of the story and tell how the reality differed (ie, the draft for instance).
Read it again, carefully. It's unclear who the source of the other items were.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:39 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
I don't know if I think that they have a deal or not, but this could be one theory about why they wouldn't admitt it.

If the NHLPA happens to vote this deal down after the public hears that there is a deal, that is one unrepairable PR mess. I don't think they will announce a thing until it is voted upon by both parties. I don't expect to hear from the NHL or the PA that a deal is done until the PA votes on it.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Captain

From SLAM Sports ...

Players fight to keep deals

Want '04-05 contracts honoured

However:

Quote:
But other sources said there's no way NHL commissioner Gary Bettman will give in to the request as it could cost owners millions in buyouts.

Also:

Quote:
Meanwhile, there was talk a tentative deal could be announced as early as today, but the speculation now is it might be announced on the weekend in the form of a simple press release.

Sources say the two sides won't hold a major press conference until the deal is ratified by the NHLPA and the owners -- something that could take up to 10 days after the tentative deal is announced.
Another possible snag:

Quote:
Instead of a luxury tax after $30 million, there's now discussion that the top-10 spending teams will pay a percentage of their revenues to the lower-spending teams. That would not be considered a significant form of revenue sharing and might be frowned upon by the union.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:13 AM
DaveMatthew

Whether parties are denying it, its pretty clear that this will be done before the end of next week.

Now let's remember, both parties came out of a meeting saying no progress, and then the next morning we find out that the NHLPA has accepted a salary cap.

As much as you do not believe Eklund, TSN and the LA Times, you should also not believe these "statements".

Old
07-07-2005, 10:39 AM
FLYLine24*

Weighted Lottery

Old
07-07-2005, 11:52 AM
CITYOFCHAMPS

LA Times lost it's Creditability a long time ago.

I live in California and most printed media in this state is second rate these days. LA Times syndication is dwindling. People are tired of hearing reporters; report their opinions and not the news. In addition the Internet has made it worse for the printed media.

Last edited by CITYOFCHAMPS: 07-07-2005 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old
07-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Dark Knight
Draft Jared McCann!

I hate the Media. Its official.

I posted here a while ago about ' The Hockey News ' a while ago stating that a CBA has been reached. And it hurt when they said ' No ' it hasnt.

They're soo desperate that they put rumors as facts. Making us happy and only to make everything pissy later on. I hate media! DUM SONOFAGUNS!!!

Old
07-07-2005, 12:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

well, maybe...maybe not. it's not out of the realm of possibility that a deal has been reached. until a formal announcement is made...they're going to deny it. they can't give a sheepish grin and say, "well...alright, alright...you got us...game on!" Helene Elliott(who seems to be generally pretty reputable) seems to be sticking to her guns.

Old
07-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Weighted Lottery
Awesome!

Quote:
There's talk that rookie deals will be standardized at each position, which would halt the massive amounts being paid to young players in performance bonuses around the league.
This I don't like. I think a top 5 pick should be allowed X amount of dollars in signing and performance bonuses.

Old
07-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Donnie D

When I read the LA story, I wondered how you could have a deal in principle but not have resolution on the 05 contracts.
Those seemed to be opposing statements.

Closed Thread