HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Detroit 2-9-11

Old
01-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Jonesey
KCCO

vCash: 500
Detroit 2-9-11

Anyone else making the trip? 3 of us are heading up.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Milly79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
I've always wanted to attend a game in MI supporting the Preds, but I only go during the summer usually. How do they treat Preds fans? I wouldn't suspect very well...

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

One of my co-workers went to a Detroit game. Wore his sweater and said people looked at him like "how'd you get in here?" but he didn't get much grief. I think we won, too.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

I will never attend another Red Wings game here again, much less go to Detroit. Have fun and don't spend too much on security guards.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 11:09 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly79 View Post
I've always wanted to attend a game in MI supporting the Preds, but I only go during the summer usually. How do they treat Preds fans? I wouldn't suspect very well...
Went to a game a couple of years ago in a Preds sweatshirt. Fans were fine. We gave each other hell when each time scored but they were generally overall good people.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 07:20 PM
sighthndlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
My mom still lives in the Detroit area. Daughter and I go up every year and take her to a Wings/Preds game. I think we're about even on win/loss over time, and so far the fans have always been reasonably friendly - unlike Chicago! Feb 9 is the game this year. I met Sully's aunt in the bathroom one year. . .she started the conversation with "nice sweater!" We were just about the only people in mustard. The percentage of Preds fans has increased, but not by much. So you're very much in the minority. OTOH it's a whole lot easier to get tickets than it used to be.

Several years ago (2007 maybe?) there were growl towels on all the seats when we arrived. I folded mine, as did my daughter, and we asked my mom if she'd like to put them in her bag to take home. I think the conversation went something like, "You don't want to waive your towel?" "Um. . .no, Mom, I don't think I'm going to want to waive my towel." "Why not?. . . Oh. Right." She always wears her autographed Zetterberg jersey (that my dear hubby bought for her at the Preds silent auction table). She has learned not to call me and gloat when the Wings win. . .and I don't call her when the Preds win.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 07:24 PM
sighthndlady

By the way, if you want any driving/directions tips, just ask.

If you don't know the area and are driving in from either the airport or the 'burbs, I recommend taking the Lodge directly to the exit for the JLA parking garage (yes, it has its own exit). That way, you don't need to worry about what areas are safe and what aren't. $20 I think, but you've got direct access via a covered bridge to the area. Wherever you park, if you are not familiar with the City (and I mean, really familiar) be sure you have a GPS in your car and use it. You can end up missing the freeway entrance and not being able to get back pretty easily.

Old
01-26-2011, 10:49 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
I will never attend another Red Wings game here again, much less go to Detroit. Have fun and don't spend too much on security guards.
are you serious? why in the world would you not attend a home game vs the wings? they are usually crazy.

Detroit is the only away team in our division that I haven't been to yet. Probably won't make this one but maybe next year. And will be staying in Windsor.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:44 PM
sighthndlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
are you serious? why in the world would you not attend a home game vs the wings? they are usually crazy.

Detroit is the only away team in our division that I haven't been to yet. Probably won't make this one but maybe next year. And will be staying in Windsor.
If you stay in Windsor, be sure to allow lots and lots of extra time to get back across the border. The Detroit border crossing is one of the busiest in the nation. The bridge is in desperate need of at least two more lanes in each direction, the tunnel is always jammed, and on the Windsor side traffic backs up on pretty narrow city streets.

And don't forget your passport!

Old
01-27-2011, 04:55 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
If you stay in Windsor, be sure to allow lots and lots of extra time to get back across the border. The Detroit border crossing is one of the busiest in the nation. The bridge is in desperate need of at least two more lanes in each direction, the tunnel is always jammed, and on the Windsor side traffic backs up on pretty narrow city streets.

And don't forget your passport!
Amen to that. Really staying in Windsor is just a nightmare with traffic. If the weather turns it's not unheard of to wait 4 or more hours to cross. You're much better off grabbing a room at a place somewhere up off I-75 in Troy, Royal Oak, Birmingham, etc. Very nice trendy communities with plenty to do before or after a game. And there are plenty of local dives in the city that you can go to with free shuttles to and from the arena. Really the dangerous areas aren't downtown but in the residential areas around it where the poverty, drugs, and crime really are noticable.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Jonesey
KCCO

we are staying downtown close to the arena. should be a fun trip.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
My 2nd NHL game was vs the Wings. I Saw too many drunken Wings fans. They tried to start fights in my section. One threatened to rip a 6 or 7 years old kid's preds jersey off him. Not just the people around me but everywhere, I walked in the arena they were acting like that. Bandwagon Wings fan's are awful examples of humanity. I swore to never attend another game when they are in town, even Playoff games. Security did nothing BTW. I have been to dozens of NFL, MLB, College B-Ball and F-Ball games and many Preds games since and have never seen people act that way.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote