HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Are there any over-50 leagues anywhere?

Old
01-24-2011, 06:01 PM
SealsFan

vCash: 500
Are there any over-50 leagues anywhere?

In the US? I wouldn't mind knocking a puck around again. I played in an over-28 "no checking" league in my early 40's and it was pretty rough. I have to be functional at my job the following morning! Maybe by 50 everyone has calmed down a bit...

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Sitka

There is in my small Canadian town. There probably is in yours, but don't expect it to be any gentler. I always figure the rule of thumb is that the more pre-1980s hockey you watched on TV, the chippier your game is.

Sitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:19 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
In the US? I wouldn't mind knocking a puck around again. I played in an over-28 "no checking" league in my early 40's and it was pretty rough. I have to be functional at my job the following morning! Maybe by 50 everyone has calmed down a bit...
There are a couple here in Las Vegas.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Trojan35

The over-35 league here is pretty gentle. No scoresheets, no records, show up and play. Almost no-contact. Definitely an older crowd, as most of the 35-45 guys play in the regular no-check leagues (with scoring, and a good bit of contact).

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:25 AM
SealsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
The over-35 league here is pretty gentle. No scoresheets, no records, show up and play. Almost no-contact. Definitely an older crowd, as most of the 35-45 guys play in the regular no-check leagues (with scoring, and a good bit of contact).
Where is this? State? Country?

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitka View Post
There is in my small Canadian town. There probably is in yours, but don't expect it to be any gentler. I always figure the rule of thumb is that the more pre-1980s hockey you watched on TV, the chippier your game is.
To true! There is a over 50 shinny game that goes on where I skate in the AM and I have seen gloves come off, and elbows all over the place.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
If you are in a large enough metro area you should be able to find something that will work for you. I know there are lots of over 50 tournament teams in the U.S. and Canada. The Snoopy Tournament in CA. every year has a 70+ division and those guys can still play. I would doubt that the chippiness is any less but you shouldn't see too many full collisions. I've played with ex-pros that are in their 60's and one in his 70's and they would slash your gloves off you before you could blink because they couldn't catch you by skating anymore. They come from a time of different hockey and that's how they have always played.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Devil Dancer

There are 50+ and 60+ divisions where I play, the Laurel Gardens Ice House in Maryland. I'm too young to participate by a couple decades, so I can't testify as to how rough it gets.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Briere Up There*

In eastern Massachusetts there are a ton of over 40 leagues. Some of the guys I play pick up with participate in over 50 tournaments.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote