HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrew Ebbett called up

Old
01-24-2011, 04:58 PM
RampageNate
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Andrew Ebbett called up

Per @phoenixcoyotes twitter feed.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
TGOTC
Yer a wizard Oliver

I guess they didn't like Korpikoski at center.

TGOTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 05:28 PM
jmichael7753

Probably should have been done in the first place. So the lines are going to look like what? My guess is

Whitney-Hanzal-Vrbata
Upshall-Belanger-Doan
Pyatt-Ebbett-Stempniak
Korpi-Turris-Boedker/Biz

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 05:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguyonthecouch View Post
I guess they didn't like Korpikoski at center.
I don't believe he's registered a point since being moved over.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 05:40 PM
SR

I would guess Doan is out, just saying.

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 05:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR17 View Post
I would guess Doan is out, just saying.
Nah, MacLean was sent down. MacLean down, Ebbett up, Korpikoski back to the wing.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 06:58 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I don't believe he's registered a point since being moved over.
That's what worried me before the move happened. But to be fair the whole team isn't exactly clicking on all cylinders either since the time Fids went down.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:00 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Nah, MacLean was sent down. MacLean down, Ebbett up, Korpikoski back to the wing.
I'm really dsappointed with the organization right now. Not even fun to go to the games and watch 3rd and 4th line guys shift after shift. Last year any win was unexpected and exciting. This year I was looking for some good hockey and more talent. Instead it seem age overrides talent every time. My only hope is that the new owner changes things. I really love going to the games and this current group is sucking the fun out of it for me. Marginally talented vets aren't going to draw new fans either.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:27 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
I'm really dsappointed with the organization right now. Not even fun to go to the games and watch 3rd and 4th line guys shift after shift. Last year any win was unexpected and exciting. This year I was looking for some good hockey and more talent. Instead it seem age overrides talent every time. My only hope is that the new owner changes things. I really love going to the games and this current group is sucking the fun out of it for me. Marginally talented vets aren't going to draw new fans either.
What profound differences have you seen in this team that have made the games go from "exciting" to "not even fun"?

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:21 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
What profound differences have you seen in this team that have made the games go from "exciting" to "not even fun"?
Well we weren't expecting wins so that was a big difference.

The overtime games/shootout wins were exciting but that's a no-brainer.

The Upshall/Lomardi combo was always fun to watch.

The biggest difference is it seemed like they were doing all they could with what they had last year. This year, the glimpses you see from Turris, Boedker, OEL, Upshall when he plays with more scorers, Stemp when he plays with Whitney, MacClean for a split second...this leaves me wanting to see more. These guys are exciting when they are allowed to do their thing with guys that help them. Look, I realize we don't have a number 1 center but that doesn't mean he can't put some of the best scorers together and play the young guys more. What we run out there now just leaves me wanting more. It seems like we are playing not to lose instead of to win.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:16 AM
TGOTC
Yer a wizard Oliver

Quote:
Well we weren't expecting wins so that was a big difference.

The overtime games/shootout wins were exciting but that's a no-brainer.

The Upshall/Lomardi combo was always fun to watch.

The biggest difference is it seemed like they were doing all they could with what they had last year. This year, the glimpses you see from Turris, Boedker, OEL, Upshall when he plays with more scorers, Stemp when he plays with Whitney, MacClean for a split second...this leaves me wanting to see more. These guys are exciting when they are allowed to do their thing with guys that help them. Look, I realize we don't have a number 1 center but that doesn't mean he can't put some of the best scorers together and play the young guys more. What we run out there now just leaves me wanting more. It seems like we are playing not to lose instead of to win.
Upshall has played with Doan almost the entire year, what more do you want from him without a legit center on the team? Stempniak had plenty of time with Whitney while Vrbata was injured and produced a grand total of ZERO points.

OEL and Boedker haven't shown anything that would entitle them to more ice time over our more established players. Turris is just starting to show that he can hold his own on both ends and deserves more playing time.

We're not going to outscore most teams but we are still pretty good at scoring, we're 12th in the league. I think the reason why you are wanting more is because we let in so many goals and our offense is erratic. Tell me this, do you think anyone besides the rookies is having an off year offensively? Be patient, Tippett knows what he is doing.

TGOTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Bandit34

Quote:
Note, remo you complain every time I see you post. This board has been doing that a lot recently when one little thing does not go their way. This team is not perfect, no team is.

Bandit34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:19 PM
AZCOYOT

Quote:
Wow, seriously??? Outside of this new idiot who screams out "How about that Hockey Coyotes fans!!" the team is no less fun to watch than last year. Maybe your expectations have changed.

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:53 PM
pfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryzgalov30 View Post
Wow, seriously??? Outside of this new idiot who screams out "How about that Hockey Coyotes fans!!" the team is no less fun to watch than last year. Maybe your expectations have changed.
I disagree. Last year they seemed to give a 100% effort far more than they do this year. There have been a few games this year that have made me really question if I want to renew season tickets for next year. The last game against LA was a good example - the first 10-15 minutes looked like a HS team was playing the Kings.

pfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:03 PM
zz

Quote:
I'd suggest you go jump on the Penguins or Red Wings bandwagon.

I'm not kidding or being an ass.

If you can't stand watching a playoff bubble team, if you can't deal with the fact that we've got no owner and therefore no money, if you can't accept the fact that none of the young forwards you've mentioned has produced so far in the NHL, I think you'll get a lot more satisfaction out of those teams. There's nothing wrong with that. There's a reason why those teams attract tons of fans all over the country.

Last edited by zz: 01-25-2011 at 03:26 PM.
zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:04 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfp View Post
the first 10-15 minutes looked like a HS team was playing the Kings.
... and for the next 40 to 45 minutes they made the game exciting and almost took it to OT.

Old
01-25-2011, 02:48 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfp View Post
I disagree. Last year they seemed to give a 100% effort far more than they do this year. There have been a few games this year that have made me really question if I want to renew season tickets for next year. The last game against LA was a good example - the first 10-15 minutes looked like a HS team was playing the Kings.
Last season the team was also very fortunate with the amount injuries sustained. Outside of Upshall's, and Doan in the playoffs, we stayed pretty healthy through out the season. I will agree that last years team was a heck of a lot more consistent in their end, but this years team has shown to be a much better team as well. The magical feeling from last season is not there. I don't have as much faith when we go down to respond, but we are finding ways to win despite the amount of vets out. That's a good sign. Lets just hope everyone starts getting healthy so everyone can start building some chemistry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post

If you can't stand watching a playoff bubble team, if you can't deal with the fact that we've got no owner and therefore money, if you can't accept the fact that none of the young forwards you've mentioned has produced so far in the NHL, I think you'll get a lot more satisfaction out of those teams. There's nothing wrong with that. There's a reason why those guys attract tons of fans all over the country.
It surprises me the way some people act knowing all the facts. I've been a fan since the beginning, and I must say all things considered. I'm very happy that I'm able to watch a competitive team. We're a very good team when health. That's hit a few bumps along the road to the playoffs. Right now we're on course of making it to the postseason for a second consecutive year. That's crazy to me. Let's be happy about that.

Last edited by PHX FireBirds18: 01-25-2011 at 02:55 PM.
PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:27 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post

If you can't stand watching a playoff bubble team, if you can't deal with the fact that we've got no owner and therefore no money, if you can't accept the fact that none of the young forwards you've mentioned has produced so far in the NHL, I think you'll get a lot more satisfaction out of those teams. There's nothing wrong with that. There's a reason why those teams attract tons of fans all over the country.
I'm not a bandwagon fan. I live within sight of the arena and I spend my hard earned cash on the team. I fell on hard times last year and lost almost everything. I kept two things. My dog and my Coyotes tickets. That might make me stupid but it also shows that I'm a fan that puts his money where his heart is. I'm also not a robot that believes everything the organization does is perfect.

I like coming here and debating the team. I think it's fun and interesting to read other fan's opinions. I would never question another fan's commitment to the team, especially one that shells out the kind of cash I do.

I love the team. I just think the decision making by management this year has been poor and short-sighted. I'd rather go into the playoffs with our talented young guys having 50 games or so under their belts so they are more prepared to help us win a series. Instead, we have too many scrap heap vets getting those minutes and I fear we will get beat in the first round again. I hope I'm wrong but that's what I see out there right now. Maybe Maloney is just waiting for the owner to take over to add the missing pieces. Who knows. I just don't like what I'm seeing right now.

Old
01-25-2011, 04:39 PM
zz

Quote:
I'm not a bandwagon fan. I live within sight of the arena and I spend my hard earned cash on the team. I fell on hard times last year and lost almost everything. I kept two things. My dog and my Coyotes tickets. That might make me stupid but it also shows that I'm a fan that puts his money where his heart is. I'm also not a robot that believes everything the organization does is perfect.
I'm not questioning your emotional of financial investment - hell, honestly, I really don't care. My point is if you're not getting any satisfaction from this franchise, you might be better off finding a different outlet to spend your time and money rather than letting it make your life miserable.

Quote:
I just think the decision making by management this year has been poor and short-sighted. I'd rather go into the playoffs with our talented young guys having 50 games or so under their belts so they are more prepared to help us win a series.
That right there is where we disagree. Based on what I've seen, while it might be great long-term, playing Boedker, McLean, Turris, Summers and OEL 15+ minutes a night will take us straight to another top-5 pick and a short season. I don't understand what makes you think we'd actually win more games.

We can't have it both ways, and right now getting into the off-season is absolute top-priority if this team wants to build a fan base. There's no way around it.

Last edited by zz: 01-25-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old
01-25-2011, 04:39 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
I love the team. I just think the decision making by management this year has been poor and short-sighted. I'd rather go into the playoffs with our talented young guys having 50 games or so under their belts so they are more prepared to help us win a series. Instead, we have too many scrap heap vets getting those minutes and I fear we will get beat in the first round again. I hope I'm wrong but that's what I see out there right now. Maybe Maloney is just waiting for the owner to take over to add the missing pieces. Who knows. I just don't like what I'm seeing right now.
That's a bit of a paradoxical concern, though. On one hand, you want them to play the young guys more, but on the other, you want the team to be better right now.

Your reference to "too many scrap heap vets" also perplexes me. Belanger has been a scapegoat lately, but other than him, who has been that bad? We'd all like to see a marquee player brought in, but if that's your gripe, how would you like to see that happen?

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:48 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

See I think Tippet's system is solid. I don't think our problem is with defense. That's where I disagree with most of you. We don't keep the puck in the offensive zone at all. That's why I think we need to play the young guys more. I believe Tippett could keep the defensive system playing effective while allowing our more talented players get more offense going. I'm not just talking about goals, I'm talking about keeping some pressure off the defense and Bryz by posessing the puck more.

I sit in our offensive zone 2 periods a game and we play in the other zone all night. Most of you guys say the defense sucks but they have to bust ass for most of the game. Bryz can't pitch shutouts every night especially when he's facing tons of shots. Belanger and Fiddler would both be great 4th line guys. When you are asking them to center top lines, you aren't going to get offensive pressure because it's not their games. That's why we play in the other end so much.

I know nobody agrees with me but that's what I see every night I'm at the games.

Old
01-25-2011, 04:58 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

As far as your suggestions, I'm going to keep supporting the team because I think the future is bright. I didn't ask you to care about what I spend, I simply point out the fact that I'm doing more to support the team than most which people should at least respect. I will always root for them to win no matter if I agree on the direction or not. I'm disappointed with the direction right now. The games aren't as fun for me. So I come here and talk about it with you guys. Sometimes the opinions of some make me see things a little different. Sometimes they don't. I enjoy reading them either way.

I do appreciate that even those of you that don't agree don't get personal though. One thing I hate is an internet tough guy. That's the best part about this board.

And lastly, I STILL think a number one center and Tippett losening the strings on the young guys a bit makes us a completely different team (along with some improved health). That's what keeps me hoping. I don't think we're that far from being a contender. And yes, I have zero patience. I blame that on my Dad and being Italian. So sue me.

Old
01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
zz

Quote:
I STILL think a number one center and Tippett losening the strings on the young guys a bit makes us a completely different team (along with some improved health).
OK, I'm happy to have this conversation. As you rightly said, the great thing about this board is its civil and informed arguments.

So:

#1 center: who do you want? And at what cost?

Loosening the strings: who do you think should be playing, at whose expense, and how much TOI? What roster would you like to see?

Old
01-25-2011, 05:38 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Well, I might be crazy but I think we could pry Spezza or Lacavalier. Yes it would be a big cash and cap commitment but I don't see anyone close to being NHL ready save Turris at the center spot that could be a 1 or 2 scoring center. Ottawa looks ready to rebuild and Tampa needs defensive help along with cap relief getting ready for the ginormous contract Stamkos will sign. If we are smart with how we structure the young guys' increases, we could take on one of those contracts and still retain some flexibility. I think we are in a unique spot cap-wise because of our ownership situation. Spezza or Lacavalier would be that big, steady #1 we've been needing for years. Spezza is younger but I still think Vinny is the better player and fit. If not those guys maybe Fisher from Ottawa? Weiss from Florida if they decide to mail it in?

As far as the young guys, Turris needs to get consistent minutes (15-20). I don't get what the coach is doing with him. He has a great game and get scrated or less minutes the next. What's up with that? The other guy is MacLean. We have one guy that goes to the net consistently and it's MacLean. The guy looked great in his short time up. He sure as hell didn't look slow or bad defensively. There's no doubt in my mind going to the net like he does would quickly get contageous. Boeds looks eratic and unsure. I'd rather see Mac over him if it was a choice between the two. Here's what I want:

Upshall New #1 Doan
Mac Turris Stemp
Whiz Hanzal Virbata
Pyat Fiddler/Belanger Korpi

I believe a #1 center between Doan and Upshall could really make that line go. Turris with a shooter and guy that goes to the net would definitely generate chances at least. Hanzal does what he does and the 4th line has speed, size, grit and faceoff winning. You could flip Stem and Korpi or Doan and Whiz to change things up too. I see a lot mroe offensive pressure with that lineup if Tippett gives the Turris line real minutes.

That's a long post but there you go.

Old
01-25-2011, 05:53 PM
zz

At $ 10 M / year for the next 5 years, I sure hope we don't go after Lecavalier. Even now that he;s playing on a good team, his offensive stats haven't been close to elite level for 3 straight years. He's also over 30 years old. I'll be shocked if he'll ever get another PPG season.

I'd like Spezza, but that would cost us some prospects. Who would you part with?

As far as giving McLean & Turris some real minutes for a stretch of 5 to 10 games and sitting Bissonette, I'd be alright with that.