HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Checkers thriving under Canes' affiliation

Old
01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500

Article in this morning's Raleigh News & Observer, reprinted in the Charlotte Observer as well.

Quote:

The Checkers averaged 5,739 fans in their first 17 home games, ranking ninth in attendance among 30 AHL teams. The Albany Devils, now affiliated with New Jersey Devils, were last (2,770.)

A crowd of 12,512 turned out for the Checkers' Oct. 15 home opener against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins at Time Warner Cable Arena.

Black said the Checkers had an increase of 69 percent in season-ticket revenue from last season. Corporate sponsorship revenue has shown a 35 percent increase, she said.

"I think our corporate partners notice and appreciate the difference in the hockey product," she said.

One benchmark in the AHL is that $2 million in ticket revenue marks a successful season. Black said the Checkers have a three-year plan to reach that mark, saying the team did not want to spike ticket prices this season.

Black said an agreement with Time Warner Cable will result in some of the Checkers games being televised. The first, she said, would be Jan. 14 against the Manchester (N.H.) Monarchs and would be available on Time Warner Cable in the Triangle.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/01/...#ixzz1AAzQ3JIo

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:25 AM
frozenrubber

Not a knock to the Canes, but I think this has WAY more to do w/ changing from a ECHL team to an AHL team.

In 2009, through the entire 36 game season, the Checkers averaged 5,311 fans/game. They were 6th in ECHL attendance. I think this proves that the market is a very viable and well-run one.

Last edited by frozenrubber: 01-05-2011 at 11:32 AM.
frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:28 AM
pelts35.com

With all due respect the comparison to attendance in Albany is completely irrelevant. Last year in the ECHL the Checkers outdrew the River Rats, so I'm not sure what the point of that comparison is.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:33 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
With all due respect the comparison to attendance in Albany is completely irrelevant. Last year in the ECHL the Checkers outdrew the River Rats, so I'm not sure what the point of that comparison is.
I'm guessing they are validating the move of the franchise?

Old
01-05-2011, 01:05 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I'm guessing they are validating the move of the franchise?
But the franchise didn't "move", the Checkers bought the AHL franchise from the ownership group in Albany so there's nothing to "validate". If it was a situation where the Albany ownership kept the team and moved it to Charlotte then I could see the point of the statement.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 01:59 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Fair enough, I didn't take it as a bash on Albany but as a way of contextualizing where they were compared to where they are now.

If you look in the article, there's even a quote from one of the players complimenting the Albany fans but wishing there had been more of them.

Old
01-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
But the franchise didn't "move", the Checkers bought the AHL franchise from the ownership group in Albany so there's nothing to "validate". If it was a situation where the Albany ownership kept the team and moved it to Charlotte then I could see the point of the statement.
The franchise was sold and moved. Since the affiliation did not change, I think what they are showing is that Charlotte is better for the Canes players than Albany since they are playing in front of more people and the team is in better financial condition.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:04 AM
Denzil
NOLU

Rah rah Albany sucks, yes we know. already... Having said that, I'm staggered we even get as many fans as we do for Devils games.

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHML View Post
Rah rah Albany sucks, yes we know. already... Having said that, I'm staggered we even get as many fans as we do for Devils games.
Me too!!!

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 50
The Checkers also cut a television deal a week ago.

http://gocheckers.com/news/more/inde...article_id=349

It would be substantially better, especially for team exposure, if they could have gotten on basic cable.

Swedish Puck Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:44 AM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

I gotta say I'm enjoying the AHL game here in Charlotte. Not a knock against the ECHL Checkers, I enjoyed them too, but I enjoy the quality of the AHL more. Now if the Checkers could win more games when crowds close to or over 10,000 show up..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse Bundy View Post
The Checkers also cut a television deal a week ago.

http://gocheckers.com/news/more/inde...article_id=349

It would be substantially better, especially for team exposure, if they could have gotten on basic cable.
I agree and I think that's something that should be looked at in the future. Maybe News14Carolina could air a few games (they used to air Bobcat games about 5 years ago)?

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote