HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Lehtivuori back to Finland (KalPa)

Old
01-15-2011, 09:05 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

vCash: 500
I'm honestly not to worried about it. It seems like it was a move for better development rather than punishment. However, I may be ignorant.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:38 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
any chance he comes back in a year or 2? or do we let his rights go free when his deal is up

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:42 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if Kalpa is actually better than the Phantoms.
I would take the US Paralympic team over the Phantoms at this point.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:33 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
any chance he comes back in a year or 2? or do we let his rights go free when his deal is up
Euroflyers' twitter says the loan is just for the rest of the year and he'll be back in NA next season.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:45 PM
jb**

Quote:
Euroflyers' twitter says the loan is just for the rest of the year and he'll be back in NA next season.
would it be shocking to never hear from him again? Maybe he gives it another go and goes home again if he doesnt get enough playing time. To fall so far on that team is almost beyond belief.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
he has 1 year left on his ELC after this season?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
In honestly, Lehtivouri is going to a better team, and SM-liiga isn't a bad league. Things have changed over time, so it's no longer true, but 10 years ago SM-liiga was the 2nd best league in the world.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:06 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
In honestly, Lehtivouri is going to a better team, and SM-liiga isn't a bad league. Things have changed over time, so it's no longer true, but 10 years ago SM-liiga was the 2nd best league in the world.
does it really matter he is going to a better team? It is very alarming that he couldnt cut it in the top 6 on a putrid phantoms team. I do not think he will return next year. He is not going to make the flyers so he may not want to bother?

Old
01-16-2011, 02:53 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Predicting gloom and doom from this really isn't a feasible option. Honestly, if you're just now predicting Joonas Lehtivuori as a bust without knowing the facts behind this, you're doing a disservice to the other people on this forum. Just saying things to say things is a huge problem leading to misinformed people.

1. Lehtivuori was not playing poorly. He was not playing great, but he was not playing worse than other people.
2. Yes, he was healthy scratched in a number of recent games, not always successive, and while it was probably for poor play, it was not because he was the worst defenseman on the blueline.
3. KalPa is a great opportunity for him. It's Timonen, Hartnell, and Kapanen's team in the SM-Liiga, and it's really incredible if you don't believe that the Flyers' organization, Timonen himself, the staff for the Phantoms, and Lehtivuori didn't at some point discuss the situation.
4. Lehtivuori is only being loaned. He is under contract with the Flyers another year after this one.
5. Lehtivuori is going to be playing on a stronger team and against stronger competition in a league that suits his style more.
6. Quick question for those involved...what do you think Lehtivuori projects as? A lot of people have thrown around that he could be a poor-man's Kimmo Timonen. Ask yourself where Timonen developed for years. That's what I thought.

This is probably far more of a good thing than a bad thing, if it really is a "bad" thing behind the scenes at all.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Predicting gloom and doom from this really isn't a feasible option. Honestly, if you're just now predicting Joonas Lehtivuori as a bust without knowing the facts behind this, you're doing a disservice to the other people on this forum. Just saying things to say things is a huge problem leading to misinformed people.

1. Lehtivuori was not playing poorly. He was not playing great, but he was not playing worse than other people.
2. Yes, he was healthy scratched in a number of recent games, not always successive, and while it was probably for poor play, it was not because he was the worst defenseman on the blueline.
3. KalPa is a great opportunity for him. It's Timonen, Hartnell, and Kapanen's team in the SM-Liiga, and it's really incredible if you don't believe that the Flyers' organization, Timonen himself, the staff for the Phantoms, and Lehtivuori didn't at some point discuss the situation.
4. Lehtivuori is only being loaned. He is under contract with the Flyers another year after this one.
5. Lehtivuori is going to be playing on a stronger team and against stronger competition in a league that suits his style more.
6. Quick question for those involved...what do you think Lehtivuori projects as? A lot of people have thrown around that he could be a poor-man's Kimmo Timonen. Ask yourself where Timonen developed for years. That's what I thought.

This is probably far more of a good thing than a bad thing, if it really is a "bad" thing behind the scenes at all.
1. Is proclaiming that he may be able to replace Carle next year doing that same "disservice'?
2. He was playing poorly. That is the opinion of many. Your opinion is he wasnt. Yet again you try to make it come across as a fact.
3. If he wasnt the worst then why do you scratch someone who is supposedly a legit prospect instead of guys who are ahl fodder?? do you "supossedly" know something others may not? the #1 goal of the ahl team is to develop.
4. Him being under contract means nothing as far as him wanting to play in europe.
5. Then why couldnt he cut it here against lesser competition?
There is nothing set in stone that he will play everyday over there either. Both sides could just be saving face.
6. He will not be an everyday nhl player. #6 dman. I havent heard anyone compare him to a poor man kimmo, who were those people? You are so smug, why i have no idea as it is comical. Many a players have been compared to guys who are stars in the league and went the way to never be heard of again.

Who is predicting doom and gloom? Please explain why that isnt a feasible option? I guess the possibility that he never returns isnt an option either right.

How is it a better option when the fact is he couldnt cut it on the worse defensive team in the ahl? He couldnt secure a top 6 role. So how is that good?

why is it so hard for you to admit that guys has stunk this year? always looking for an excuse or putting blame somewhere else. How is Pat Maroon doing since he was traded? You been keeping tabs on him?

Old
01-16-2011, 06:11 PM
DUHockey9

Edit: Oops wrong thread

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 09:50 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...turn#storyjump

Quote:
Joonas Lehtivuori had a solid debut for Kalpa last night. The circumstances weren’t ideal with the jetlag and loan gear in practice. Lehtivuori didn’t get his own gear back until game time as he lost his luggage during the four flights he took from North America to Finland.

"Two bags were found in Paris and other two were somewhere else. I had to take four flights and there wasn’t much time to switch planes, so the bags got lost somewhere. Fortunately they were found before the game."

Lehtivuori admits he was tired, but overall the debut went well.

"It was about adjusting. I had just two practices before the game, so I’m not that familiar with the system yet. It felt pretty good towards the end of the game, but I started feeling the jetlag a bit in the third period."

Lehtivuori reveals that there were other clubs interested in his services as well, not just Kalpa.

"There were a few clubs after me, but we decided together with the Flyers that this would be the best option. There was no big drama about it."
Doesn't sound too good if he is considering leaving the NHL.

Last edited by GKJ: 01-20-2011 at 08:40 AM.
KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
That doesn't sound good at all.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:11 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
That doesn't sound good at all.
Can't blame him for hating being in the middle of nowhere.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
He sounds like a b***h. Whatever.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:33 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...turn#storyjump

Doesn't sound too good if he is considering leaving the NHL.
he didnt make the nhl, i doubt he comes back untill he thinks he can. maybe a training camp agreement that will let him go back to europe if he doesnt make the team.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:33 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I didn't expect much out of him anyways.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 07:31 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
He sounds like a b***h. Whatever.
i agree

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 07:43 AM
DUHockey9

Well, it certainly sounds like he's not coming back. It kind of bums me out again that the Phantoms are no longer in Philly. It makes our AHL team significantly less attractive to players/prospects.

Last edited by DUHockey9: 01-25-2011 at 07:33 AM.
DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:17 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Not a huge loss. Then again, the Phantoms are kind of starving for talent. Now would be a great time for some of our college signings to pick it up...

Or for Homer to hold onto some early picks.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:42 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Things like this are why none of you should expect any more than minimal contributions from the Phantoms. Just can't trust this team's developmental drafting and coaching enough on guys who need more than one season down there.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 07:30 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I just hope he does come back and play sometime in the future for the Flyers. Him, plus Marshall, Bourdon, Eriksson and Gustafsson are really our only future players for this team in any sense.
I agree on Eriksson, Gustafsson and would even add fw Eric Wellwood and goalie Jakub Kovar (plays in Czech Republic) to that list.

However, I'm not sure Marshall will ever turn into an NHLer - he seems to be stagnating in his development right now. And Bourdon has been a healthy scratch on a *** AHL team this season almost as many times as Lehtivouri if I remember it correctly - not exactly a good sign if someone struggles to find a spot on that defense.

So I guess our prospect pool is quite shallow now....

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 07:50 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Things like this are why none of you should expect any more than minimal contributions from the Phantoms. Just can't trust this team's developmental drafting and coaching enough on guys who need more than one season down there.
I agree. I think that most if not all the guys on the phantoms are long shots to ever carve out a regular role in the nhl imo. There are a few that have a chance though most will not make it. I have seen so many come and go, so many that were hyped that never even sniffed the nhl. So I don’t get to excited over these guys. It isn’t hate, isn’t being negative or any of the other junk people like to throw around. It is the reality of the situation. They better hope one or more of the few junior players they have pan out, though that is a lot to ask for as well.

They cant seem to develop guys. Now that the flyers have a young foundation maybe they will be more patient.

Old
01-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Kimmo waited until he was 22-23 to come over IIRC, because he's small.

The problem with the comparison is that Kimmo is a really stocky Ray Bourque type frame, Joonas is thinner. Gustafsson is built more like Kimmo.

Think of Lehtivuori as a poor man's Steve Duchesne. He's never going to be a dominant physical specimen, but when he fills out he may be strong enough to play, or he may never be an NHL player and go back to Europe permanently after another year as a Phantom.

All we can do is wait and see.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:11 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Kimmo waited until he was 22-23 to come over IIRC, because he's small.

The problem with the comparison is that Kimmo is a really stocky Ray Bourque type frame, Joonas is thinner. Gustafsson is built more like Kimmo.Think of Lehtivuori as a poor man's Steve Duchesne. He's never going to be a dominant physical specimen, but when he fills out he may be strong enough to play, or he may never be an NHL player and go back to Europe permanently after another year as a Phantom.

All we can do is wait and see.
disagree, he looks like 170 pounds soaking wet. He is very thin.