HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

41st Obsequious Banter Thread - Mez Dispenser

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
In fairness to Roethlisberger, he's never been formerly charged.

And no -- I am NOT making excuses for his past off-field conduct, he hasn't exactly been a model citizen.

Old
01-25-2011, 08:24 AM
McNasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I wouldn't be shocked, they have a pretty complete team -- good offense, defense and special teams. What I think may hurt them, is the run game.
I think their lack of run game will help them out a lot. Teams are much more successful throwing against Pittsburgh then running, so the fact that Green Bay is used to not getting help on the ground makes them less likely to keep pressing the envelope and wasting plays.

Old
01-25-2011, 08:26 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Anyone want to write the rest of my Honours Thesis for me?

"Effects of Uniaxial Compression on the Remanence of Magnetite-Bearing Mafic Rocks with Varying Coercive Force."

Old
01-25-2011, 08:29 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
In fairness to Roethlisberger, he's never been formerly charged.

And no -- I am NOT making excuses for his past off-field conduct, he hasn't exactly been a model citizen.
I agree Opy, but he's pretty friggen' stupid to keep putting himself in positions where the potential exists for big problems.

Old
01-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I agree Opy, but he's pretty friggen' stupid to keep putting himself in positions where the potential exists for big problems.
wouldn't be shocked if he goes the Lawrence Taylor rout after his career is over, dude looks like he belongs in a trailer park doing crystal meth

Old
01-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post

"Effects of Uniaxial Compression on the Remanence of Magnetite-Bearing Mafic Rocks with Varying Coercive Force."
You misspelled Magic.

Old
01-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:

I'll do it. Do you care that I don't know anything?

Old
01-25-2011, 09:30 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Just a reminder, that even though this is an off-topic thread, everything's still got to stay clean even if no one is actually offended.

Old
01-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Lincoln was actually pretty awesome. He did do some sketchy things though.
Yeah, some of the actions, particularly in border states or against the Copperheads, definitely were sketchy. But the man was a masterful politician, and he played a ton of people with his "I'm just some backwoods hick" exterior.

When I get a chance I still have to get "Team of Rivals" from my father-in-law. And the McPherson book "Tried By War" is on my Amazon wish list.

And I forgot...someone had mentioned the South having great generals, and they did. But the North had some damned fine commanders as well: Grant (whose Vicksburg campaign is still studied at West Point from what I've read), Sherman, and Thomas being the three best, I think. Meade was solid, but nothing spectacular. Hancock was great, but asked to carry the bulk of the heavy lifting in the East for so long his command burned out and so did he. Chamberlain is famous for Gettysburg and being the most decorated soldier in the Union army, but he didn't reach general until the end of the war. Some other guys like Sedgewick, Logan, and Francis Blair were good but not recognizable.

Not as many famous names, that is certain, and guys like McClellan (who should have been tried for treason for his behavior at the time of Second Manassas) bring down the overall record for the North. I will admit McClellan was a genius organizer and trainer of troops...he just was a miserable failure as a battlefield commander.

The South's problem was that a lot of their great commanders got themselves killed, so by the end Lee and Johnston had no one they could rely on. Ok, Johnston had no one he could rely on out west to start with. For whatever reason, the corps commanders in the Army of the Tennessee always seemed to come up small, but the divisional commanders were brilliant, particularly Pat Cleburne. Lee had the advantage of having first Stonewall Jackson, then Longstreet as his main subordinates, and with those two you have a huge advantage over your opponent.

Last edited by Stonehands77: 01-25-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old
01-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Yeah, some of the actions, particularly in border states or against the Copperheads, definitely were sketchy. But the man was a masterful politician, and he played a ton of people with his "I'm just some backwoods hick" exterior.

When I get a chance I still have to get "Team of Rivals" from my father-in-law. And the McPherson book "Tried By War" is on my Amazon wish list.
Team of Rivals is amazing. It's a must-read.

Old
01-25-2011, 09:51 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

I understand a good portion of your title, actually.

Old
01-25-2011, 09:57 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I understand a good portion of your title, actually.
enough to write a 40-50 page scientific paper for me?

If I could spend all the time I spend on HF writing it, I would be finished already

Old
01-25-2011, 10:15 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
enough to write a 40-50 page scientific paper for me?

If I could spend all the time I spend on HF writing it, I would be finished already
I've already started to learn for my nightly masters classes dynamics, because it's heavily involved with this class. Granted I have a materials background and no dynamics experience. I actually enjoy it, but wow is it hard.

Old
01-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Opus

And the gold digger of the year award goes to...

Old
01-25-2011, 11:50 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

^^ wow, I didnt see that haha

Old
01-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post

And I forgot...someone had mentioned the South having great generals, and they did. But the North had some damned fine commanders as well: Grant (whose Vicksburg campaign is still studied at West Point from what I've read), Sherman, and Thomas being the three best, I think. Meade was solid, but nothing spectacular. Hancock was great, but asked to carry the bulk of the heavy lifting in the East for so long his command burned out and so did he. Chamberlain is famous for Gettysburg and being the most decorated soldier in the Union army, but he didn't reach general until the end of the war. Some other guys like Sedgewick, Logan, and Francis Blair were good but not recognizable.

Not as many famous names, that is certain, and guys like McClellan (who should have been tried for treason for his behavior at the time of Second Manassas) bring down the overall record for the North. I will admit McClellan was a genius organizer and trainer of troops...he just was a miserable failure as a battlefield commander.

The South's problem was that a lot of their great commanders got themselves killed, so by the end Lee and Johnston had no one they could rely on. Ok, Johnston had no one he could rely on out west to start with. For whatever reason, the corps commanders in the Army of the Tennessee always seemed to come up small, but the divisional commanders were brilliant, particularly Pat Cleburne. Lee had the advantage of having first Stonewall Jackson, then Longstreet as his main subordinates, and with those two you have a huge advantage over your opponent.
As terrible as McClellan was, the Army of the Potomac was all his doing. The Union would have had a much harder time, I think, without him being commander in the beginning. And he did invent that saddle, for what it's worth.

What strikes me most about Grant and Sherman was their persistence. Where other generals weren't willing to take massive casualties, those two were perfectly willing and able to use the full force of their numeric superiority, and to just never quit until they had overwhelmed their opponent.

Old
01-25-2011, 12:19 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
The guy should be dead after the motorcycle accident. You'd think he'd learn his lesson to straighten up (we know Vick did, and we already KNOW Plaxico will, as did Stallworth).."
He was dumb for riding his bike without a helmet, its also dumb for athletes to own cars that go 150 MPH. ?

Stallworth killed someone with his car. So hes learned his lesson since he hasnt done it again right? No one knows if Burress has learned his lesson yet.
Ben hasnt learned his lesson less then a year after his alleged charges . I am not defending Roethlisberger actions. He was a idiot for putting himself in those situations. But lets give the guy some time to show he has changed. If he ****s up again Ill be one of the first to condem it on here.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:25 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Just got an email from Beard Team USA...National Beard and Moustache Championships are in Lancaster, PA this year (like Sept/Oct)! I'll be there! Who else is in?

Old
01-25-2011, 01:37 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
He was dumb for riding his bike without a helmet, its also dumb for athletes to own cars that go 150 MPH. ?

Stallworth killed someone with his car. So hes learned his lesson since he hasnt done it again right? No one knows if Burress has learned his lesson yet.
Ben hasnt learned his lesson less then a year after his alleged charges . I am not defending Roethlisberger actions. He was a idiot for putting himself in those situations. But lets give the guy some time to show he has changed. If he ****s up again Ill be one of the first to condem it on here.
I don't think it's fair to compare what Roethlisberger did to the other incidents, especially Burress. He's an idiot for carrying a weapon, but he shot himself he didn't hurt anyone else. Stallworth's was an accident, though I see your point. Roethlisberger was accused of taking a drunk 20 year old into a bathroom and ****** her while a friend guarded the door. Now just like Stallworth he got off easy, IMO, because the victim's (family in the case of Stallworth), didn't press charges.

On a lighter note, I definitely typed Staalworth 3 times and had to correct it. Talk about "you know you're a hockey fan when....."

Old
01-25-2011, 02:45 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I don't think it's fair to compare what Roethlisberger did to the other incidents, especially Burress. He's an idiot for carrying a weapon, but he shot himself he didn't hurt anyone else. Stallworth's was an accident, though I see your point. Roethlisberger was accused of taking a drunk 20 year old into a bathroom and ****** her while a friend guarded the door. Now just like Stallworth he got off easy, IMO, because the victim's (family in the case of Stallworth), didn't press charges.

On a lighter note, I definitely typed Staalworth 3 times and had to correct it. Talk about "you know you're a hockey fan when....."
Stallworth was a dumb accident but he also did everything that he was legally bound to do. Stopped the car, called for assistance, attempted to help, paid the family a ****-ton of money, and did his jail time. He screwed up, but he didn't Burress it by trying to hide the injury or trying to get the doctors to cover it up.

Old
01-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Lincoln was actually pretty awesome. He did do some sketchy things though.
To be as forward as possible, I can't remember most of why -- I read a book freshman year of college (two years ago) and so much, in school and out, has transpired since then that I'd need to re-read it to really be able to speak on it.

I'm also aware that one book isn't the whole story. You guys could probably tell me why I don't like him better than I could now, because it's been a while since I've had a legitimate history class (I'm and English major w/ a PoliSci minor...history and PS pretty much blended together in my high school, but the difference is obviously drastic at the next level).

One thing I can speak to is this idea to "save the union." I understand what you guys are saying about the "lost cause" being a lost cause itself when looked at objectively, but the union was always supposed to be voluntary. I feel that it took the bloodiest war in history at that point to "save" it speaks volumes. I also don't care for the direction we took afterward (Reconstruction) and feel most of our problems today in regard to the usurping of power from citizens can be traced back to then because of the measures Lincoln took. I feel there's going to be an inevitable comparison to measures FDR took, but I've always felt them more legitimate or, at worst, (and I know this is difficult to tangibly measure) with better intent.

Old
01-25-2011, 02:52 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
To be as forward as possible, I can't remember most of why -- I read a book freshman year of college (two years ago) and so much, in school and out, has transpired since then that I'd need to re-read it to really be able to speak on it.

I'm also aware that one book isn't the whole story. You guys could probably tell me why I don't like him better than I could now, because it's been a while since I've had a legitimate history class (I'm and English major w/ a PoliSci minor...history and PS pretty much blended together in my high school, but the difference is obviously drastic at the next level).

One thing I can speak to is this idea to "save the union." I understand what you guys are saying about the "lost cause" being a lost cause itself when looked at objectively, but the union was always supposed to be voluntary. I feel that it took the bloodiest war in history at that point to "save" it speaks volumes. I also don't care for the direction we took afterward (Reconstruction) and feel most of our problems today in regard to the usurping of power from citizens can be traced back to then because of the measures Lincoln took. I feel there's going to be an inevitable comparison to measures FDR took, but I've always felt them more legitimate or, at worst, (and I know this is difficult to tangibly measure) with better intent.
I've always wondered why the Union never said "**** 'em" and just let the south secede. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Old
01-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Just got an email from Beard Team USA...National Beard and Moustache Championships are in Lancaster, PA this year (like Sept/Oct)! I'll be there! Who else is in?
Sick! Take pics!

Edit: Lots and lots of ****in pics!

Old
01-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I've always wondered why the Union never said "**** 'em" and just let the south secede. Anyone care to enlighten me?
Again, in acknowledging my own lack of knowledge, someone is likely to chime in with more detail, but my thought, which is more guess than fact at this point, is it had a lot to do with being seen legitimately. Being split isn't exactly ideal for foreign affairs. Lincoln also had his own agenda, which stems back to my problem with the idea of "saving" the union.

Old
01-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

A good game to be physical with really no one to respond in that department.

I just hope Carcillo plays so he can get PK back for that hit in Montreal last game.

Closed Thread