HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Comcast-NBC sale nearing completion; CSN to be available elsewhere?

Old
01-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Flyers93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I would love to be able to see the Flyers pre and post games.
As would I. I'm also a Birds/Sixers fan so all-Philly coverage would be great, living in Canada never hear anything about these teams. Just Habs, Leafs, Habs, Leafs.

Flyers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:26 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
What type of pricing would we likely be expecting and any idea on a time frame?
No idea on timing ... I'd imagine it would just be a part of the sports pack for DirecTV, not a separate channel. $12.99 a month gets you all the regional sports network, TVG (horse racing) and Fox Soccer channel and GOLTV.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:28 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, I'm waiting for someone to explain what this means. I've always assumed TV broadcasts and such work through magic and unicorn farts.
I think the FCC will require them to offer Comcast to all other outlets as part of their approval.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 07:17 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

My interpretation of this new "process" for other providers is Comcast submits a pricing to the FCC, the FCC reviews it and then approves/denies the price.

That was also my guess...that CSN would just be be part of the sports package. For me, I'm not biting.

I paid $160/year for Center Ice. If they charge $12/month ($144/year) for that sports package, granted I'll get some other channels too which may have hockey games, you run the risk of losing the game if it's on TCN, any then it's a pain to find NHL games. I'd rather personally just get Center Ice and be guaranteed the game and have it easy to find, regardless of the announcer.

Center Ice has also been good with getting both team's feeds lately. Only thing is, like mentioned, no pre/post game.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 08:06 AM
PuckBoy33

Comcast: volume issue

Does anyone else experience problems with the volume? Local channels (3, 6, 10, 29) are extremely low. If you go from the locals to the Weather Channel you get a sound explosion (it's like when the commercials come on during an NFL game on Fox).

CSN is very low during game broadcasts.

Anybody else have this problem?

PuckBoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 07:47 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
My interpretation of this new "process" for other providers is Comcast submits a pricing to the FCC, the FCC reviews it and then approves/denies the price.

That was also my guess...that CSN would just be be part of the sports package. For me, I'm not biting.

I paid $160/year for Center Ice. If they charge $12/month ($144/year) for that sports package, granted I'll get some other channels too which may have hockey games, you run the risk of losing the game if it's on TCN, any then it's a pain to find NHL games. I'd rather personally just get Center Ice and be guaranteed the game and have it easy to find, regardless of the announcer.

Center Ice has also been good with getting both team's feeds lately. Only thing is, like mentioned, no pre/post game.
The sports pack is worth it if you like soccer or college sports. Lots of college football on the RSNs. The hockey games actually aren't on the RSN channels, they are blacked out unless you have Center Ice. But you can get any of the pre/post game shows.

Old
01-20-2011, 03:29 AM
dubldown

I have DirecTV and have the Center Ice package, so I get to see every game but always with the opponents announcers.

Some aren't so bad but some are serious homers, Buffalo and Pittsburgh being the worst.

I like the San Jose announcers the most along with Doc from the Devils.

About every 15 games or so they show the flyers broadcast on my local Comcast station so I get to see our broadcast about 5 times throughout the year.

dubldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I think the FCC will require them to offer Comcast to all other outlets as part of their approval.

'But Comcast did agree to a condition requiring it to provide program access to competitors - and to a new "shot clock" provision for accelerated arbitration that should, at least in theory, take less than four months to accomplish.

"The programming has to be made available under this provision," said a senior FCC official who briefed reporters on the condition that he not be identified. "The new cognitions provide a more direct path to access."

It's a small element of a huge transaction whose biggest effects won't be visible for years. But for Philadelphia sports fans, it would be welcome - and long-belated - news"

thank GOD, the end is near ..... CSN Philly will be coming to every Philly resident & all Flyers fans nationwide soon
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011...-to-begin.html

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 01-22-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:24 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubldown View Post
I have DirecTV and have the Center Ice package, so I get to see every game but always with the opponents announcers.

Some aren't so bad but some are serious homers, Buffalo and Pittsburgh being the worst.

I like the San Jose announcers the most along with Doc from the Devils.

About every 15 games or so they show the flyers broadcast on my local Comcast station so I get to see our broadcast about 5 times throughout the year.
Hurricanes have homer announcers too.

I can't remember which team it was, but there was one that lost all excitement when the opposing team scored to the point where I expected him to yell out "MOTHER ****ER!" LOL. Some of them are just hilarious. I think someone a few years ago made a "Flyers opposing announcer" Bingo game, which I added to excel for easy use.

Old
01-22-2011, 11:17 AM
ShelbyFlyer

I have had center ice, on DirecTV, for three years now. There have been more showing of both teams feeds lately but CSN-Philly is the very notable exception. Just the last game, there were two other games on at the same time and both of those had home and away feeds, in HD. The Flyers were only shown from the Ottawa feed in SD. There were plenty of Center Ice channels available. The lack of Flyer feeds may drive me to the Game Center option next year.

I know some people hate the CSN-Directv discussion but it is very interesting to some of us who aren't local but love the Philly teams.

PS.
The Ottawa homers were about the worst I have heard in awhile the other night. Calling Giroux's hit a "cheap shoot" with no purpose in the game. And criticizing Shelly for skating away from the Ottawa player who had already drawn the roughing panel.

ShelbyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Mgkibbles

I'm really not a fan of this merger. This has the potential to be a major monopoly. Comcast now has control of infinitely more media content, and if things aren't watched - which they probably won't be - rates will be rising quickly as Comcast squeezes out competition.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Flyers93

I also have Centre Ice and I'm wondering why so many of you rarely get the Flyers feed. I remember in the 08-09 season in the second half of the season I counted getting CSNPhilly a grand total of 3 times. But the last 2 seasons I've been getting the Flyers broadcast 50% of the time if not more, and a lot of the games have the home or away announcer option.

Old
01-23-2011, 09:37 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers93 View Post
I also have Centre Ice and I'm wondering why so many of you rarely get the Flyers feed. I remember in the 08-09 season in the second half of the season I counted getting CSNPhilly a grand total of 3 times. But the last 2 seasons I've been getting the Flyers broadcast 50% of the time if not more, and a lot of the games have the home or away announcer option.
Different rules in Canada. Your regulators actually try to protect the consumers, ours just protect the monopolies and profits of the mega-corporations.

Old
01-23-2011, 10:44 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Different rules in Canada. Your regulators actually try to protect the consumers, ours just protect the monopolies and profits of the mega-corporations.
Boy ain't that the truth...we actually have an oligopoly situation with respect to cable ...Verizon and Comcast. This merger will def squeeze consumers in the long run. They always seem benign in the beginning...kind of like all the mergers and acquisitions in the go-go mid 90's when deregulation went nutso. Of course, taxpayers had to bail out the major banks and their bad bets when the crap hit the fan in 07 and continue to do so since they have been deemed systemically important and too big to fail. Kind of ironic since anything that is too big should be deemed systemically dangerous and broken up into it's bad parts (debt ring fenced) and good parts (sold off) like they did with the S&L crisis! Antitrust is a thing of the past....Teddy Roosevelt is rolling in his grave and companies like Comcast are dancing on it.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Flyers93

Quote:
Touche.

My only problem with Centre Ice is only have one measly HD channel, a lot of times left empty. For example, yesterday afternoon Flyers/Devils was the only game in that time slot and the HD channel had nothing on...
They should do it like Sunday Ticket and have all or atleast a lot more HD channels, who doesn't broadcast 9 games out of 10 in HD these days?

Old
01-24-2011, 04:32 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers93 View Post
Touche.

My only problem with Centre Ice is only have one measly HD channel, a lot of times left empty. For example, yesterday afternoon Flyers/Devils was the only game in that time slot and the HD channel had nothing on...
They should do it like Sunday Ticket and have all or atleast a lot more HD channels, who doesn't broadcast 9 games out of 10 in HD these days?
DirecTV doesn't have that problem in the US. 15 stations, and 15 HD stations.

It's just we don't get the Philly feed (or Canadian teams HD feed) very often.

Old
01-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Sundevil9

Just a different perspective on Center Ice, I've got Comcast Cable, and this season in particular, the Philadelphia CSN feed has been available for most games and it's usually the HD feed, too. I've also noticed that they've offered up more home and away feeds, too.

Though we only have one HD channel. But if it's the Flyers, I'm not complainin'.

Sundevil9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:16 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundevil9 View Post
Just a different perspective on Center Ice, I've got Comcast Cable, and this season in particular, the Philadelphia CSN feed has been available for most games and it's usually the HD feed, too. I've also noticed that they've offered up more home and away feeds, too.

Though we only have one HD channel. But if it's the Flyers, I'm not complainin'.
The only time they really don't offer both team's feeds anymore is on like a Saturday when every team plays, but even at that, there are not afternoon games so it opens up some channels later in the night.