HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Bandy Kazan 2011

Old
01-25-2011, 05:30 AM
cska78

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Bandy Kazan 2011

A lilttle offtop but it's still hockey! Bandy (or so called Russian Hockey). Finnland is playing USA right now - US is a big-time outsider - Swe, Rus and Finn are the powers.

http://video.sport-express.ru/online/bandy/14/ Fin - US game. Very fun sport - once u get used to it, think of it as soccer on the skates with the golf club, haha

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 06:30 AM
SvenskaRiga

Cheers for the link, wish I knew sport-express was going to broadcast all matches before hand. Only got to see end of Finland-America match but result was as expected. Kind of interested to see how well Kazakhstan can do against Swedes.

As for Group B, Latvia didnt have the best start getting beat 2:15 to Belarus. Hopefully things go better for us the rest of the tournament.

Should be a great tournament as always.

SvenskaRiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 06:56 AM
cska78

Belorus' is good and would have played in top-six if not for being disqualified last year, no shame here, they are not in Latvija's league...yes I will watch Swe - Kaz over the KHL game right now))

Old
01-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Yakushev72

Yakushev 72

Out of curiosity, although it is obviously a fun sport, why is that major cities on the permafrost like Krasnoyarsk, Kemerovo, Arkhangelsk and others ignore hockey in favor of bandy? As far as I know, those cities do not even have an indoor hockey rink. Any thoughts or information?

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:16 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Out of curiosity, although it is obviously a fun sport, why is that major cities on the permafrost like Krasnoyarsk, Kemerovo, Arkhangelsk and others ignore hockey in favor of bandy? As far as I know, those cities do not even have an indoor hockey rink. Any thoughts or information?
u mean real ice - hockey? I think there are hockey schools there, just not as popular as bandy...Bandy is awesome, one should watch it a few times to see how cool the sport is. Not tailored for a NA fan much - as it is no contact, but for a European fan and a soccer fan it's a pretty good alternative...Too bad it's not marketed much even in Russia.

Old
01-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Yakushev72

Yakushev 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
u mean real ice - hockey? I think there are hockey schools there, just not as popular as bandy...Bandy is awesome, one should watch it a few times to see how cool the sport is. Not tailored for a NA fan much - as it is no contact, but for a European fan and a soccer fan it's a pretty good alternative...Too bad it's not marketed much even in Russia.
Anatoli Firsov explained the difference in an article several years ago - bandy is "hockey with ball," and ice hockey is "hockey with puck." It appears to be much more like soccer on ice than hockey. It looks like a lot of fun. The reason I bring up those large cities with lots of population and long, cold winters is a curiosity as to whether bandy attracts a lot of potential hockey prospects away from ice hockey. How do the salaries compare for bandy and hockey?

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Finland looks set to have an easy road to the final. Wonder if we can cause Kazakhstan their 5th consecutive 2-7 defeat tomorrow?

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:38 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Anatoli Firsov explained the difference in an article several years ago - bandy is "hockey with ball," and ice hockey is "hockey with puck." It appears to be much more like soccer on ice than hockey. It looks like a lot of fun. The reason I bring up those large cities with lots of population and long, cold winters is a curiosity as to whether bandy attracts a lot of potential hockey prospects away from ice hockey. How do the salaries compare for bandy and hockey?
you can play bandy under open air professionally, our government won't build arena's for them....

Old
01-28-2011, 10:05 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Finland looks set to have an easy road to the final. Wonder if we can cause Kazakhstan their 5th consecutive 2-7 defeat tomorrow?
would be good for the sport if someone other than Rus or Swe wins the tournament..

Old
01-28-2011, 10:06 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenskaRiga View Post
Cheers for the link, wish I knew sport-express was going to broadcast all matches before hand. Only got to see end of Finland-America match but result was as expected. Kind of interested to see how well Kazakhstan can do against Swedes.

As for Group B, Latvia didnt have the best start getting beat 2:15 to Belarus. Hopefully things go better for us the rest of the tournament.

Should be a great tournament as always.
like I said Belarus' will play USA for the last spot in the top 6.

Old
01-31-2011, 01:42 PM
cska78

wish finns had won for the good of the sport, but a pretty good tournament, if not for the weather and Kazakhs gave fins a fight for the money too.