HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders claim Nabokov off waivers, will not report

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2011, 01:52 PM
  #201
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Eklund is a fraud. Jester, you comment on how he just posts everything he "hears". What exactly is stopping him from posting anything at all

Just because the guy might have inside connections, doesn't mean they are telling him anything. The guy is out for one man, and one man only. Himself.

When he tweets, another writer gets the story correct, and he re-tweets what he said. Ha. Brilliant. Didn't mckenzie make him look stupid the other day?

Spongolium* is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 02:09 PM
  #202
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Eklund is a fraud. Jester, you comment on how he just posts everything he "hears". What exactly is stopping him from posting anything at all
Nothing, but most of the crap that gets sent his way is built off of people not being able to accept the difference between "news" and "rumors." Eklund never claims to be the former, and always claims to be the latter (until we get to the e5).

Quote:
Just because the guy might have inside connections, doesn't mean they are telling him anything. The guy is out for one man, and one man only. Himself.
As are most people on this earth.

Quote:
When he tweets, another writer gets the story correct, and he re-tweets what he said. Ha. Brilliant. Didn't mckenzie make him look stupid the other day?
There's a difference between being a dumb ass (which Eklund is, and anyone that reads his blog can confirm), and being a fraud.

The guy is a hockey fan that has taken that spiel and turned it into a website that is making him money. On top of that he's assembled a nice roster of bloggers that give you good info on other teams around the league (I particularly like Meltzer and Berger, but also read a few of the other guys). Eklund is, without a doubt, not the most brilliant of folks. He doesn't write well at all, and he does himself a disservice with some of the absolutely idiotic things he posts.

Get over it.

People bring up stuff like him posting on message boards under pseudonyms and all that type of crap... I can tell you its a fact that PR folks do that type of stuff all the time for all sorts of crap (I know someone who has written a pseudonym blog to pimp a client of her firm). It's the way things work in this internet business model.

If you don't like him and don't want to read HB... great. However, the abject silliness that happens whenever someone mentions his name is pathetic. Now, I don't think there should be threads of Eklund rumors, because, as said, 95% of 'em are crap... but he isn't a fraud and that has been confirmed by numerous people (not to mention the Flyers and NHL, who grant him press credentials... and he was even featured in that internet video series on the Flyers site).

He isn't some dude sitting in his basement... that's just the reality of it. If you don't like how he operates that's perfectly understandable, but throwing around fraud... whatever.

Jester is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 02:19 PM
  #203
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,866
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
People bring up stuff like him posting on message boards under pseudonyms and all that type of crap... I can tell you its a fact that PR folks do that type of stuff all the time for all sorts of crap (I know someone who has written a pseudonym blog to pimp a client of her firm). It's the way things work in this internet business model.
This is exactly right. During college I interned for the Rangers/MSG and part of my job was to go on random blogs and act like a fan and post links to MSG articles/blogs pretending like I was just a guy reading the original blog. It's just advertising and if you think ESPN, TSN, etc don't do that then you are dead wrong.

Quote:
If you don't like him and don't want to read HB... great. However, the abject silliness that happens whenever someone mentions his name is pathetic. Now, I don't think there should be threads of Eklund rumors, because, as said, 95% of 'em are crap... but he isn't a fraud and that has been confirmed by numerous people (not to mention the Flyers and NHL, who grant him press credentials... and he was even featured in that internet video series on the Flyers site).

He isn't some dude sitting in his basement... that's just the reality of it. If you don't like how he operates that's perfectly understandable, but throwing around fraud... whatever.
This may be the first time you and I have ever agreed on anything.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 03:57 PM
  #204
mja
Negative Creep
 
mja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Whatever Eklund was 15 years ago has almost zero relevance to what he is doing today. There is nothing fraudulent about what he does, he's pretty explicit about what it is he does... and, whether you like it or not, he most certainly has connections and access to insider info now (it was even confirmed during the lockout or just after by Bob McKenzie -- pretty sure it was him -- that he did in fact have some legit connections for information).

At this point he has a website with a slew of undeniably connected folks (along with some very weak links). I visit HB regularly to read some of the other writers, and will occasionally check out what Eklund has to say (his accuracy has also seemed to improve over the last couple of years).

However, Eklund is unfiltered gossip... and unfiltered gossip is going to be 95% BS (no matter what subject matter you are covering). You cannot deny that he has access at this point, and therefore is a source of information -- even if of dubious quality for what is actually going to happen. I would never pay a cent to read his stuff, and think those that do are silly... but the vitriol sent his way is equally absurd.

Moreover, it's pure hypocrisy to celebrate Meltzer's rise to his position... and then trash Eklund's. Both of 'em have press credentials. I much prefer Meltzer's writing, but that's another matter.
This is his most amazing accomplishment.

HE LIED his way into legitimacy.

If he's on the level, why the idiotic mystery blogger persona?
If he's on the level, why the lying about his credentials and work experience?
If he's on the level, why the multiple accounts?
If he's on the level, why the plethora of ridiculously detailed fantasy league 9 player deals that can only be the insane ramblings of a phony looking to maximize hits to his site?
If he's on the level, why the obviously fake anecdotes of discussions, phone calls, text messages etc. with unnamed players, agents, GMs during the lockout, many of which contradicted each other as prediction after prediction ended up false?

It isn't 95% unfiltered gossip. Most of it isn't gossip at all. In the beginning it was 95 % pure, unadulterated FRAUD. He wasn't hearing these things from anyone but the voices in his own damned head. Right now, I'd estimate it's around 50% unfiltered gossip and 50% unadulterated FRAUD.

He was seized upon by a hungry internet community starved of hockey, and then seized upon by a modern media that only cares about ratings, hits, etc. The fact that he has a site with actual insiders on it and press credentials for himself is all the more stunning.

Meltzer and Eklund don't belong in the same sentence, which is evident by one using his own damned name and the other still hanging on to his fanboy username before the word "blog" even existed, despite the fact everybody already knows who he is (even if he was using "Eklund" to conceal his identity from his sources - which is ridiculous on its face since he's posted "verbatim" transcripts of calls, conversation, texts, etc. with those source - then the jig is clearly up by now). The fact that they both got their beginnings on message boards and now have press credentials only illustrates how genuinely insane the world we live in actually is.

I'll give the guy credit, as far as frauds go, he's done an absolutely amazing job. How the damned keyboardist in a prog rock band is now taken for some connected insider/journalist is something that would confound Edward R. Murrow today.

You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to become the next Eklund. That's my new mission in life.

Call me.....


Sinisalo.

mja is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 04:29 PM
  #205
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Jester,

My only question for you then is why does he "rate" his rumors. I get he is just reporting what he hears, but he attempts to lend credibility to what he hears by applying his stupid e ratings. If he puts out a retarded rumor and says "e5" he's trying to tell us this one is way more "right" than all of the other rumors. Yet his e5s are often wrong as well.

Basically, I get your point, but I feel that the fact that Eklund applies ratings negates it. If he didn't do that, then he'd truly just be posting everything he hears as you are saying.

DUHockey9 is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 05:59 PM
  #206
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,866
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
If he's on the level, why the idiotic mystery blogger persona?
Why not? People have had pen names and alter ego forever. I guess Mark Twain isn't as a good a writer because he used a fake name.

Quote:
If he's on the level, why the lying about his credentials and work experience?
I have never seen any proof of this other than people saying so on this board. Show me proof and this is a legitimate beef.

Quote:
If he's on the level, why the multiple accounts?
Advertising. This was addressed in previous posts. Everyone does it.

Quote:
If he's on the level, why the plethora of ridiculously detailed fantasy league 9 player deals that can only be the insane ramblings of a phony looking to maximize hits to his site?
He reports what he hears, no matter how ridiculous. We all know the stuff like that is not likely to go down, but it doesn't mean that one GM didn't call another one and say something about. Or even that one GM said to someone on his staff that he was thinking about possibly calling a GM and proposing something.

Quote:
If he's on the level, why the obviously fake anecdotes of discussions, phone calls, text messages etc. with unnamed players, agents, GMs during the lockout, many of which contradicted each other as prediction after prediction ended up false?
Obviously fake? Why? Because you didn't see him talk to these players? You saying how fake it is without having proof is the same thing as what you are so made at Eklund for allegedly doing.

Quote:
It isn't 95% unfiltered gossip. Most of it isn't gossip at all. In the beginning it was 95 % pure, unadulterated FRAUD. He wasn't hearing these things from anyone but the voices in his own damned head. Right now, I'd estimate it's around 50% unfiltered gossip and 50% unadulterated FRAUD.
What are you basing this on? The fact that you don't believe him? That is not really proof.

Quote:
He was seized upon by a hungry internet community starved of hockey, and then seized upon by a modern media that only cares about ratings, hits, etc. The fact that he has a site with actual insiders on it and press credentials for himself is all the more stunning.

Meltzer and Eklund don't belong in the same sentence, which is evident by one using his own damned name and the other still hanging on to his fanboy username before the word "blog" even existed, despite the fact everybody already knows who he is (even if he was using "Eklund" to conceal his identity from his sources - which is ridiculous on its face since he's posted "verbatim" transcripts of calls, conversation, texts, etc. with those source - then the jig is clearly up by now). The fact that they both got their beginnings on message boards and now have press credentials only illustrates how genuinely insane the world we live in actually is.
I agree that Meltzer is a better journalist than Eklund, but it doesn't make Eklund a fraud.

Quote:
I'll give the guy credit, as far as frauds go, he's done an absolutely amazing job. How the damned keyboardist in a prog rock band is now taken for some connected insider/journalist is something that would confound Edward R. Murrow today.

You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to become the next Eklund. That's my new mission in life.

Call me.....


Sinisalo.
Good, do it. See if you can get other journalists to write for your site and make a buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Jester,

My only question for you then is why does he "rate" his rumors. I get he is just reporting what he hears, but he attempts to lend credibility to what he hears by applying his stupid e ratings. If he puts out a retarded rumor and says "e5" he's trying to tell us this one is way more "right" than all of the other rumors. Yet his e5s are often wrong as well.

Basically, I get your point, but I feel that the fact that Eklund applies ratings negates it. If he didn't do that, then he'd truly just be posting everything he hears as you are saying.
Dude, I already answered this. The ratings, outside of e5 are just the number of people he has heard it from. It has nothing to do with whether or not it will come through. It is just that he has heard it from more people. e5 means it is done, which I have really only ever seen him use on deals that have long been reported or on trade deadline day when everyone reports things wrong.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 06:29 PM
  #207
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,717
vCash: 500
This thread is now hopelessly off-topic. If you have more questions about Nabokov that haven't already been answered, wander on over to the Misc. NHL Discussion Thread.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.