HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Craig Conroy (UPD: Clears Waivers, Post #84)

Old
01-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Pilkington

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I think Conroy would love being back with teh Blues as well... I really hope he gets plucked my the Blues or Habs... he deserves a chance to finish his career in a city he knows and loved playing for

I would hate to see Conroy finish his career in the minors
That's where minor league caliber players end up. Conroy was a good player a long time ago. These days, barely a player at all.

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Ya, there seems to be some Conroy overrating going on here; the guy has played just 18 games this year on the 12th ranked team in the West. I don't think teams are going to be clamoring to claim him...it's probably time to think about hanging them up.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Whitebear

I think the Canucks pass. I'd rather see them use a younger guy with a bigger body. They have a few canidates on the moose that should be able to fill a 4th line role and with Glass starting to take some faceoff duties and getting much better defensively, I'm not sure that the moose fill in would even need to be a center.

I like
Hansen - Glass - Tamby/Volpatti

More then
Hansen - Conroy - Glass

Whitebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:30 PM
exporta

He won't be claimed.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Wow this was unexpected. I hope one of my teams nabs him, specially Vancouver.
Is Abbotsford one of your Teams?

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:38 PM
flameaholic

Calgary Herald is reporting he may have asked for this for the purpose of retiring (if he goes unclaimed.) Really hope someone takes a stab at him (esp. a team like Vancouver or Philly.)

Class act all the way. All the best Conny!

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:52 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Exactly the veteran experience the lwafs could use to help climb out of a lottery spot byt seriously, i want him on toronto

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:53 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Conroy's a good guy and a great interview, but I don't know how much he really has left to give to an NHL team. He's really slowed in the last year or so.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I don't know how many times he took a pay cut for the better of the organization.
Never? I love Conroy as much as the next Flames fan but the one chance he had to get a significant larger contract from another organization he took it. There is a lot of other reasons to love Conroy but that wasn't one of them.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Never? I love Conroy as much as the next Flames fan but the one chance he had to get a significant larger contract from another organization he took it. There is a lot of other reasons to love Conroy but that wasn't one of them.
Flames had yet to give him and offer before the lockout, he took the deal which was the most secure for the future.

Also, http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...b-86adfb53374b

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 03:15 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Ya, there seems to be some Conroy overrating going on here; the guy has played just 18 games this year on the 12th ranked team in the West. I don't think teams are going to be clamoring to claim him...it's probably time to think about hanging them up.
Calgary had too many 'okay' centers and it pushed out Conroy (Jokinen, Stajan, Morrison, Backlund).

I'd like the Canucks to grab him as right now there is no 4th line center (Glass is playing center...) but I think we'll see a St Louis, LA etc grab him first.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Paper

Quote:
Flames had yet to give him and offer before the lockout, he took the deal which was the most secure for the future.

No team was going to give him a 37 year old coming off a 10-20 season much more than what he got, and likely not for 2 years. The extra money he could have received from another team would have gone directly into moving his family to the city and he wouldn't have been any farther in that game.

I'll remember him, assuming his time as a Flame is done, as a great personality and Iggy's right hand man but not for taking any pay cut.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

I don't want him claimed by the Canucks, it would be like a knife in my stomach.

Can the TSN broadcast crew (or even better, the Hockey Night in Canada crew - since they need the most help) claim him? He could easily replace Kevin Weekes or Ray Ferraro.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 03:50 PM
blankall

Quote:

This "salary hit" this article refers to is relative to the 3 million he was making before.

The Flames organization did Conroy a huge favor by taking him on at all this year. Quite frankly, I don't see Conroy getting claimed. If the Flames hadn't offered him a contract this year, most likely he wouldn't have made another squad out of training camp either. Vets like Morrisson were having trouble finding a home. Conroy has become much worse than that.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
This "salary hit" this article refers to is relative to the 3 million he was making before.

The Flames organization did Conroy a huge favor by taking him on at all this year. Quite frankly, I don't see Conroy getting claimed. If the Flames hadn't offered him a contract this year, most likely he wouldn't have made another squad out of training camp either. Vets like Morrisson were having trouble finding a home. Conroy has become much worse than that.
I'm not denying what Conroy is now. When he signed that 2 year contract, he probably could have gotten 500k more from somewhere else. He still had some good hockey in him, and scored 48 points that season.

I'm not saying this is what I'll remember him for, but it reinforces the character he had.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
The only reason for his getting waived was due to Staios' return.
if Feaster is waiving Conroy to make a roster spot for Staios he should never be considered for the GM job next season... we have no need for Staios... at all... if anything he should be waiving Staios

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:29 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I'd like the Flyers to grab him.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:46 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
if Feaster is waiving Conroy to make a roster spot for Staios he should never be considered for the GM job next season... we have no need for Staios... at all... if anything he should be waiving Staios
Staios needs to be "showcased". If it becomes obvious the Flames won't be making the big show, someone may still show interest in Staios if he is playing. If Feaster can get a third, he is a genius.

Old
01-25-2011, 04:51 PM
blankall

Quote:
I'm not denying what Conroy is now. When he signed that 2 year contract, he probably could have gotten 500k more from somewhere else. He still had some good hockey in him, and scored 48 points that season.

I'm not saying this is what I'll remember him for, but it reinforces the character he had.
Fair enough.

But I think a lot of the favors have gone both ways in the Conroy/Flames relationship. I think Conroy knows full well that he was never much more than a .5 ppg player. He was given the opportunity to do much more playing with Iginla. He got a huge contract from LA as a result.

I just don't think that the organization owes as much to Conroy as people are making out. I also don't think other organizations take much interest in him.

Old
01-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
What? I thought he died already.
this dude has to retire already. Flames need youth not old dudes

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Cephalusc

Conroy has been my favorite Flame for a long time. I hope someone picks him up, but it will be hard to see him in another uniform.

He's a good 4th line center/PKer at 7-9 minutes/game. He could be a valuable pick up for a playoff team.

Has to retire already? Get a grip.

Cephalusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Oblivion

I don't think that he'll be picked up and I doubt he'd report to the minors. I think that most likely the Flames work out a deal where he sits at home collecting his pay cheque while being "retired". He could also just walk away and retire "for realz".

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 07:00 PM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
Garth Snow will probably claim him and ruin his chance at a cup run, too.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 07:41 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Would love Conroy as our extra forward over Ryan Johnson.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 07:51 PM
SlappyMcGee
=w=

Pretty sure New York is going to pick up his contract and see that he never works in this league again!

SlappyMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote