HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Trade Deadline Thread (All General Deadline Talk/Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2011, 01:32 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
IMo it shows that we have good players in the system only we must use them. And especially that we does need "big trades".
I agree with mt. We should hold off on any trade Brass/Jake trades for now and just hope to keep winning until the deadline. Then maybe Howson could bring in a forward or a dman that could help and still be apart of the future. We dont need any rentals. That or we could bring up a guy like Moore or Goloubef when their ready.

Old
01-25-2011, 08:57 AM
BluejacketNut

Howson wont pay the price it costs to bring in upgrades at the deadline unless someone has a brain cramp and wants to take Commodore

Old
01-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Eklund claims the Preds have made an offer for Filatov. I doubt this is true because we are both in the Central, but what the heck, its fun to talk about. Do you guys need forwards, D, or goalies? Prospects? Picks? Vets?

Old
01-25-2011, 11:01 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Eklund claims the Preds have made an offer for Filatov. I doubt this is true because we are both in the Central, but what the heck, its fun to talk about. Do you guys need forwards, D, or goalies? Prospects? Picks? Vets?
Mainly need a #1 C or a PMD, neither of which is obtainable from what Filatov would bring. Are you sure you don't need an overpriced, past his prime, stay at home defensiveman who likes to party?

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
Old
01-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
NHL PMDs, or at least a PPQB. So we'd be asking about Franson, probably.

(feel free to laugh now. )

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
01-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Doug19

Blum would be good also, or what if they knew they couldn't resign Weber we could also send Voracek and a pick with Filatov. Still not enough? Hell take your pick of anybody except Nash and Johansen at forward. Weber would be amazing, it's to bad we would never get him, EVERRRR....

Old
01-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Blum would be good also, or what if they knew they couldn't resign Weber we could also send Voracek and a pick with Filatov. Still not enough? Hell take your pick of anybody except Nash and Johansen at forward. Weber would be amazing, it's to bad we would never get him, EVERRRR....
I'm not convinced Blum can play in the NHL now, and that's what we kind of need.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Hipster Letestu

Colin Wilson would be nice

Old
01-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I'm not convinced Blum can play in the NHL now, and that's what we kind of need.
Honestly I wish we'd send Filatov + one of our dmen like Russell, Stralman, Tyutin, or Methot to Nashville for Blum. Bring him up, along with Moore and just start our youth on defense. If we are gonna suck, I rather see our young guys getting ice time. If they arent ready, then just know that we improved our d a lot. Along with this years pick which is hopefully a d man....but it really doesnt have to be since Blum has kinda filled that void. It could be an offensive talent to kinda replace Filatov....

Old
01-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Honestly I wish we'd send Filatov + one of our dmen like Russell, Stralman, Tyutin, or Methot to Nashville for Blum. Bring him up, along with Moore and just start our youth on defense. If we are gonna suck, I rather see our young guys getting ice time. If they arent ready, then just know that we improved our d a lot. Along with this years pick which is hopefully a d man....but it really doesnt have to be since Blum has kinda filled that void. It could be an offensive talent to kinda replace Filatov....
Or, here's a better idea - get the guys we have used to playing pro hockey in a less pressured less hopeless environment so that they can be that much more effective when they come to the NHL. "Yeah, I've done this step-up thing before, I can handle this, it'll be rough, but I know what to do."

It's called "development", and it's something Doug MacLean never really figured out, despite drafting Rick Nash.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:52 PM
EDM

None of these "evenly balanced" trades are going to happen. Unless it is a "steal" like Vermette was, the only trades Howson will make are Moreau, Clark, Hedja and possibly Garon since all these guys are on the end of their contracts and could have value to Cup Contenders. Howson will accumulate his draft picks and bring the "young uns" up from Springfield.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I would give up Blum or Franson for Filatov. It would take more for for Franson than Blum.

In response to Blum not being ready, he is. If the Preds weren't so stacked at D he would have been up last year at the latest, and is for sure ready for an NHL gig.

I think this rumor is BS, but I kinda hope to see Filatov here.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:58 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Or, here's a better idea - get the guys we have used to playing pro hockey in a less pressured less hopeless environment so that they can be that much more effective when they come to the NHL. "Yeah, I've done this step-up thing before, I can handle this, it'll be rough, but I know what to do."

It's called "development", and it's something Doug MacLean never really figured out, despite drafting Rick Nash.
You are preaching defensive development. I'm more of a play em when you think they are ready. Now if we are playing them because of poor playing at the NHL level, then there is a problem.

Does Calvert look out of place, for example? Ultimately he may hit a wall, as a lot of rookies do, and need to get sent down. He may not. We'll see I guess.

Old
01-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
You are preaching defensive development. I'm more of a play em when you think they are ready. Now if we are playing them because of poor playing at the NHL level, then there is a problem.

Does Calvert look out of place, for example? Ultimately he may hit a wall, as a lot of rookies do, and need to get sent down. He may not. We'll see I guess.
Well, to be frank, I don't think any of 'em are ready, which is why I responded in that fashion.

And you have a point with Calvert. I frankly don't like the blanket suggestion of "throw them in the NHL bonfire and see if they do amazing things." Then again, the idea of "don't let 'em even glance at the NHL until they've done hard time in the AHL, ever, always, period" has its own issues.

Old
01-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
None of these "evenly balanced" trades are going to happen. Unless it is a "steal" like Vermette was, the only trades Howson will make are Moreau, Clark, Hedja and possibly Garon since all these guys are on the end of their contracts and could have value to Cup Contenders. Howson will accumulate his draft picks and bring the "young uns" up from Springfield.
Y'know, most of the folks who have little to no faith in Howson are at least allowing for the possibility that something unexpected may happen, altho they're not getting their hopes up.

This is part of the basis on which people become capable of agreeing to disagree, leading to a fitter, happier, healthier, and more productive forum for discussion.

Old
01-25-2011, 02:14 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Well, to be frank, I don't think any of 'em are ready, which is why I responded in that fashion.
Problem is that you and don't have the information, nor are qualified, to make that assessment. We can think anything we want. However, I am quite aware that they have a lot of information that I don't have when making these decisions.

We can think they are ready or not, but it's just us talking from a place of ignorance. I'm ignorant to how close Moore is, so I'm going to trust our development staff to tell me when they think he is ready.

Quote:
And you have a point with Calvert. I frankly don't like the blanket suggestion of "throw them in the NHL bonfire and see if they do amazing things." Then again, the idea of "don't let 'em even glance at the NHL until they've done hard time in the AHL, ever, always, period" has its own issues.
You have to have some basis of belief they are ready. That's what our development staff is there for. If they believe that Moore is ready, for example. Then keeping him down to play it safe is defensive development. I'm as opposed to that approach as carving out a spot for your newly drafted 1st round pick in June.

Now at some point, hopefully, we'll be a position that when a guy like Filatov is brought up in a bottom six role, after 3 or 4 years of development, and we don't all flip out. We'll have the depth, we'll be a Cup contender, and we'll understand he has to beat someone out for that top six job. I look forward to that day. Hopefully it will be before 2020....

Last edited by blahblah: 01-25-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old
01-25-2011, 02:19 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Y'know, most of the folks who have little to no faith in Howson are at least allowing for the possibility that something unexpected may happen, altho they're not getting their hopes up.
True enough. Trades could fall on Howson's lap and Howson could get a sense of urgency. He could also feel more comfortable with Arniel and try and help him. He could feel more comfortable that this team can contend.

I don't know what's going through that brain of his.

However, there really isn't a lot of evidence to show it's likely. So, as you say, I'm not holding my breath.

Old
01-25-2011, 03:17 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
.. If we are gonna suck, I rather see our young guys getting ice time. If they arent ready, then just know that we improved our d a lot...
Here's the thing, not all are yet convinced that the suckage is inevitable.

Old
01-25-2011, 04:02 PM
EDM

I did allow for the unexpected. I said if he can arrange a "steal" he will do it.

Old
01-25-2011, 04:12 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
True enough. Trades could fall on Howson's lap and Howson could get a sense of urgency. He could also feel more comfortable with Arniel and try and help him. He could feel more comfortable that this team can contend.

I don't know what's going through that brain of his.

However, there really isn't a lot of evidence to show it's likely. So, as you say, I'm not holding my breath.
There will be a time when Howson goes from a patient Gm, to a more agressive Gm. I truly believe this. But it will have to be because we are getting close to a team that can compete and go deep in the playoffs. Heck in 2 weeks we have went from everybody sucks, and has no value, to all a sudden Brassard, Mason, and sometimes Jake, are looking pretty good. If Filatov were to take an agressive pill, and start shooting the puck, combined with Moore who is very close, Johansen who looks like a gamechanger, and all a sudden you could see the potential in this orginization. For the first time I can remember since following the Jackets, we are showing a lately, a refuse to lose mentality, and I think its because Arniel is getting thru to them. Its not all doom and gloom.

Old
01-25-2011, 04:17 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes1 View Post
There will be a time when Howson goes from a patient Gm, to a more agressive Gm. I truly believe this.
I reserve faith for matters of religion and my family. Not some random GM that I never met. The evidence we have to this point doesn't justify your faith. I have no desire to follow him like a lamb to the slaughter.

Old
01-25-2011, 04:57 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
I reserve faith for matters of religion and my family. Not some random GM that I never met. The evidence we have to this point doesn't justify your faith. I have no desire to follow him like a lamb to the slaughter.
Must be depressing, sorry to hear that...... I just dont think he is the incompetent boob many portray him to be. When the guy was hired, he said he was going to build from the ground up, everything that is said about howson, mentions how patient he is. Yes it probably has progressed even more slowly than he anticipated, but he has accomplished re building up our talent pool, many are starting to make contributions with the jackets, while others are very close.

Old
01-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Shelley#45

Quote:
Do you guys need forwards, D, or goalies? Prospects? Picks? Vets?
all of the above ?

Quote:
Must be depressing, sorry to hear that...... I just dont think he is the incompetent boob many portray him to be. When the guy was hired, he said he was going to build from the ground up, everything that is said about howson, mentions how patient he is. Yes it probably has progressed even more slowly than he anticipated, but he has accomplished re building up our talent pool, many are starting to make contributions with the jackets, while others are very close.
Next thing you know he is gonna come out and say he wouldnt trade our team for the detroit redwings with all of the prospects we have

Old
01-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
I'd trade the entire team for Weber.

Old
01-25-2011, 05:15 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Must be depressing, sorry to hear that......
Why? I don't give faith blindly to people I don't know. Scott has not earned my faith. Have no idea why that is depressing.

Quote:
I just dont think he is the incompetent boob many portray him to be. When the guy was hired, he said he was going to build from the ground up, everything that is said about howson, mentions how patient he is. Yes it probably has progressed even more slowly than he anticipated, but he has accomplished re building up our talent pool, many are starting to make contributions with the jackets, while others are very close.
Never said he was an incompetent boob. There are things he does well, others I think he's poor. His overall body of work with the NHL roster does not impress me.

Closed Thread