HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#52 - 01.25.2011 | Florida Panthers @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

vCash: 500
Just got tickets to the game. Excited for a good game. Let's go Rangers!

Old
01-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Torts on team effort and the kids:

Quote:
JimCerny Jim Cerny
Torts admits to being surprised that so many kids have come up from minors and team has kept having success "Surprised? Yeah, I'm surprised"
Quote:
thenyrangers New York Rangers
Torts: "We are much more aggressive this year...and have a much more confident mindset...I give them a lot of credit..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Carpiniello - Rangers Report
On what makes this team so resilient:

“I just think that we have tried to, from after last year, throughout the summer, in communications and as camp started, we tried to create an identity in how we were going to play. I think they have done that. I think they’ve had some success through adversity, through injuries, or being down in a period, or whatever it may be. And I think they’re confident. Again, it’s a comfortable feeling—I shouldn’t say comfortable; you don’t want to be down going into the third period—but I don’t think it affects the hockey club right now. We’re not going to win them all. We might be down by one in the third period and lose games by three. But I think the team understands how it has to handle itself and having success, I think that grows on them. So I give them a lot of credit. They’ve battled through this here and hung together, and the most important thing as we’ve gone through the first almost three-quarters of the season here, they’ve played really well as a team. The lines have been moved around a little bit through injuries, people have played with a lot of different people. but I think we’ve played pretty good as a team.”

On being deeper:

“I think the guys that have come up from the minor-league team have done the job. I think it starts with the program down there. I think they’re very well coached. I think they’re very well conditioned, and I always say that because they step right in here and are able to play at maybe a little bit higher level as far as speed. Through all this here, through all the injuries we’ve had, this is going to help the organization in the long term. It certainly gives us the chance to look at more people than we thought we would be at this time. And it certainly gives them more experience quicker than we thought they’d get, as we continue to build the hockey club.”

I asked him if, given the number of holes he’s had to fill and the results the team has gotten have surprised him:

“Yeah, a little bit, because I didn’t know some of the kids. Kolarik, I didn’t know him. Brodie Dupont, although he’s only played one game, I think he did his job for the five or six minutes he played the first time. Weise came in and did his job. Newbury has done his job. Zuccarello, I mean, we weren’t sure if he was ready. And it’s an interesting thing. You sit down there and talk to the minor-league coaches: ‘Is he ready?’ ‘I’m not sure.’ You know what? Sometimes you’re forced to try to find out through injuries and it’s answered for you. And he certainly has handled himself very well.

“Surprised? Yeah. Yeah. We just didn’t expect for this to be put upon us right away. We thought they were going to play for longer down there. So it’s funny how it works, how guys get their opportunities to play.”

Asked if last year’s team would have won the last two games:

“I don’t want to go back to last year. We have different personnel this year. I think we have a different mindset this year. I think the youth of our team has grown up another year, have become part of the leadership of our club. So, I don’t want to put one against the other. I just know, and I told you guys from the get-go in camp, I just felt that this group was more together, and that’s maturity and a couple of changes here and there. And the biggest thing is we kept our kids. We kept our kids. The greatest thing Glen has done from the end of last year to where we are right now is we still have our kids and we’re growing with them.”

Last edited by Wraparounds: 01-25-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Adding stuff.
Old
01-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

What's your opinion of Wolski so far?
Couldn't watch as much of your games as I wanted, and want to know how he's been ?

Going to watch tonights game to see Wojtek play.
Saw his penalty shot yesterday, though. The first confidence shot in a while right now. Some time ago every PS by Wolski looked as great as that, but that changed after some time.

Old
01-25-2011, 04:38 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Superstars step up tonight - win 2-0

Gabby 2 goals

Hank gets another shutout

Old
01-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Pregame press conference topics and quotes:

Tonight's game & lineup
Injury updates; All-Star break; Kids going back to the Whale
OT/Shootouts
Resiliency & the kids
Michael Del Zotto
Evgeny Grachev
Mats Zuccarello

Last edited by Wraparounds: 01-25-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Adding stuff.
Old
01-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Torts on injuries, the All-Star break, and sending kids back to the Whale:
So the question is, who goes back? It seems a lot of these kids have proven themselves as solid additions in 3rd and 4th positions. What do you do with guys who deserve to be up? Trade them? Let them wallow in the minors? These guys have been wonderful for this team in a tough time. Which players really deserve credit if the team does really good in the playoffs? Say they make the second round, third round or the finals? Will everyone forget the weeks on end with most of the top players out that could have pushed them out? I know I won't

Old
01-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Killem Dafoe
waf fi

vCash: 50
man i get misty-eyed every time i see that injury list.

LGR!!

Old
01-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschey View Post
What's your opinion of Wolski so far?
Couldn't watch as much of your games as I wanted, and want to know how he's been ?

Going to watch tonights game to see Wojtek play.
Saw his penalty shot yesterday, though. The first confidence shot in a while right now. Some time ago every PS by Wolski looked as great as that, but that changed after some time.
He has been great for us so far IMO. 3 goals and 3 assists and +2 in 8 games with us. Constantly gets chances night in and night out. Most impressively, he molded into the team chemistry immediately. It's been hard to come by goals for us with all the injuries and we have turned to a defense first system so i expect him to really get going once we are healthy.

Trade was a steal for us, i think Wolski is a legit top 6 guy.

Old
01-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Torts on OT/Shooutouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Carpiniello - Rangers Report
On whether the team changed tactics in OT from last year to this year:

“We’re trying to be more aggressive, yeah. We’re trying to forecheck more aggressively 4-on-4. Again, we just haven’t had a whole bunch of practice time. We did quite a bit of that when the season started. We worked on our zone coverage 4-on-4. But definitely, we’re trying to be up the ice more 4-on-4, although we weren’t last night. I thought we were on our heels in the overtime last night. But we’re trying to be more aggressive and trying to score a goal 4-on-4.

“I think our mindset was different (last year). We have a much more aggressive mindset as a hockey club right now, a more confident mindset, starting at the beginning of this year. And I think the personnel has something to do with that. So, no, that’s a big part of what happened last year—our shootouts and our 4-on-4 play.”

Does having Wolski and Zuccarello change the thinking, that he wouldn’t mind going to shootouts?

“No—Hank plays a lot of the games, and I think we have a pretty good goalie as far as the shootout, so we have talked from Day 1 that we don’t want to sit back, but we don’t want to be stupid either. We don’t want to give up a goal by being stupid, because we have a pretty good goalie. So it’s kind of a little bit of both. It’s certainly not sitting back, because we’re trying to win the game (in OT) but just don’t be stupid.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Spector - The Blueshirts Blog
On the difference in the Rangers’ overtime tactics from last season to this season: “We’re trying to be more aggressive. We’re trying to forecheck more aggressively 4-on-4. Again, we just haven’t had a bunch of practice time. We did quite a bit of that when the season started, and we worked on our zone coverage 4-on-4. But definitely trying to be up the ice more 4-on-4, although we weren’t last night – I thought we were on our heels more in the overtime last night. But we’re trying to be more aggressive and trying to score a goal 4-on-4. … I think our mindset was different (last season). I think we have a much more aggressive mindset as a hockey club right now, I think a more confident mindset, starting at the beginning of this year. The personnel has something to do with that. So, no, that’s a big part of what happened last year was our shootouts and our 4-on-4 play.”

On whether that thinking changes with talented shootout participants such as Wojtek Wolski and Mats Zuccarello now on the team: “I think we always – we have – Hank plays a lot of the games, and I think we have a pretty good goalie as far as in the shootout. So we have talked from day one that we don’t want to sit back, but we don’t want to be stupid either, because we don’t want to give up a goal by being stupid, because we have a pretty good goalie. So it’s kind of a little bit of both. It’s certainly not sitting back, because we’re trying to win the game then, but just don’t – don’t be stupid.”

Last edited by Wraparounds: 01-25-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old
01-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
He has been great for us so far IMO. 3 goals and 3 assists and +2 in 8 games with us. Constantly gets chances night in and night out. Most impressively, he molded into the team chemistry immediately. It's been hard to come by goals for us with all the injuries and we have turned to a defense first system so i expect him to really get going once we are healthy.

Trade was a steal for us, i think Wolski is a legit top 6 guy
For sure. That has always been my opinion. Hoping he keeps it up over a legit period of time now. Go Wojtek!

Old
01-25-2011, 05:01 PM
92hatchattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
So the question is, who goes back? It seems a lot of these kids have proven themselves as solid additions in 3rd and 4th positions. What do you do with guys who deserve to be up? Trade them? Let them wallow in the minors? These guys have been wonderful for this team in a tough time. Which players really deserve credit if the team does really good in the playoffs? Say they make the second round, third round or the finals? Will everyone forget the weeks on end with most of the top players out that could have pushed them out? I know I won't
Its simple.. Keep the best ones up and have 4 strong lines.Zucca has to stay... this guy is not an ahl player.

Old
01-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
Well i think its easy for the first few who come back. Dupont, Kolarik, Newbury and Grachev will all go back down eventually.

Old
01-25-2011, 05:04 PM
92hatchattack

haha.. imagine having everyone healthy?

dubi-ani-cally
prospal-christensen-gabby
wolski-stepan-zucca
feds-boyle prust

Thats team for the win!!! Very hard working and fast. No problem at all rolling all 4 lines. 3 legit scoring lines.... 1a,1b,1c

Drury(stick boy)

Old
01-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

5-0 Rangers!!!

Old
01-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post

dubi-ani-cally
wolski-stepan-zucca
feds-boyle prust

Thats team for the win!!! Very hard working and fast. No problem at all rolling all 4 lines. 3 legit scoring lines.... 1a,1b,1c

Drury(stick boy)
Yeah and replace aves for prospal because I don't see him being back anytime soon.. That's 4 legit lines. Use the 4th as checking line and they can get the puck in and forecheck also.

Old
01-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post

dubi-ani-cally
wolski-stepan-zucca
feds-boyle prust

Drury(stick boy)
Sean? As for Boyle. Sorry, that's a great line, but he deserves far better than 4th line.

...but I agree with those lines. Christensen with Prospal and Gabby can be great...let's see if him (or Prospal) return to good form if/when they return.

Rangers win 3-1.

Old
01-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
Sean? As for Boyle. Sorry, that's a great line, but he deserves far better than 4th line.

...but I agree with those lines. Christensen with Prospal and Gabby can be great...let's see if him (or Prospal) return to good form if/when they return.

Rangers win 3-1.
Yeah, but who would you have him playing center over? Its about chemistry and he has a lot with prusty/feds. Ani/step are gonna be on top 3. Christensen and gabby play well together.

Old
01-25-2011, 05:32 PM
MaximusT

just wondering if there are any Torts' quotes regarding Drury in the past handful of games?
it's funny he's calling for Grachev to provide offense but what about the 7.5 million dollar captain?

Old
01-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusT View Post
just wondering if there are any Torts' quotes regarding Drury in the past handful of games?
it's funny he's calling for Grachev to provide offense but what about the 7.5 million dollar captain?
Nada.

Old
01-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Torts is not going to throw Drury under the bus!

What's with you mon?

01-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Our problem is we win big games, and lose to the scrubs. This is a big game because we need to be consistent.

4-2 W
First Peroid.. Florida Scores both..

Second.. (2-0 FLO)
First goal-Gaborik (Boyle, MDZ)
second-Wolski (MZA, Stepan)

Third: (2-2)
third-PPG-Gaborik (Grachev, MZA)
fourth-ENG-MZA (unassisted)

Final: 4-2 NYR Victory

sorry im very board

Lets go boys!

Old
01-25-2011, 05:39 PM
AJRanger

NYDNRangers

#NYR lines:
Avery-Anisimov-Gaborik
Wolski-Stepan-Zuccarello
Kolarik-Boyle-Prust
Grachev-Newbury-Drury

Nice Torts, Grachev will sure produce on the 4th line.

Old
01-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusT View Post
Last time I checked, Tortorella didn't give Drury that contract, nor was he even in the organization when they signed him. Drury is what he is: A reasonably useful fourth-liner. If Grachev makes it, it'll be through offense, not face-offs and penalty killing.

People can ***** about Drury being captain all they want. Nobody's been in the locker room and there's no reason to shake up a team that's going so well by stripping a guy of the captaincy.

Old
01-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Yeah, I don't understand that from Torts. You go and say the kid needs to show you something offensively, but you play him <10 minutes with Drury and Newbury?

Old
01-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Ryan McDonut
Re-sign Glass

why does it seem whenever we win we blow the other team out or barely win? how about a nice 4-1 win

Closed Thread