Notices

The Fall of Akim Aliu

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2011, 01:47 AM
ua

vCash: 500
The Fall of Akim Aliu

After coming over as part of the what may go down as the best deal ever in Atl Aliu seems like a spare part. Personally i watched him in junior and thought (when motivated, usually pist-off) he had great ability to dominate, he is a big body who can move well but it seems like he's hit a wall, dropping from the ahl to the echl now back to the ahl. If a team offers up say
600K (under the compensation threshold for RFA's) is it matched? or do they let him walk and hope to find the motivation else where. as his story is a great one but with the ending not being " and he became an NHL regular" even a 3rd or 4th liner it seems incomplete.

Old
01-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Ashe

He's doing better then i figured he would be.
You have to understand our AHL team doesn't care about playing prospects, As they have a lot of career AHL'rs to win the championship.
It stunts our players growths.
He's Fine

Old
01-20-2011, 09:19 AM
odgersfan83

Speaking of the Wolves, what's going on with Angelo Esposito? He has 3 goals in 27 games...

Old
01-20-2011, 09:40 AM
KevFist
is best pony

I've often wished that Atlanta would give Chicago the boot and start an AHL team here in Birmingham.... Unfortunately, that'll never happen.

As for "the fall of akim Ailu," I don't get it. he's doing better this year than he did last year. How's that a fall?

Old
01-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by odgersfan83 View Post
Speaking of the Wolves, what's going on with Angelo Esposito? He has 3 goals in 27 games...
he was hardly playing early on, i think he just recently started playing every game... not sure what his ice time looks like

Old
01-20-2011, 10:17 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Poor agility and hands, poor overall skating ability... really doesn't have a lot going for him

As for Espo, he looks like he's going to be a late bloomer or a complete bust- the reason he isn't getting played is because he isn't ready for the AHL level. You can definitely see he missed two years of jrs that he needed.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:02 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Jan Mursak in Detroit had 9 pts in 51 gms his second AHL season. I'd keep Aliu around and be patient. If his "agility and shape" get to par, the kid could become another Byfuglien up front.

Old
01-20-2011, 12:14 PM
aparch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
He's doing better then i figured he would be.
You have to understand our AHL team doesn't care about playing prospects, As they have a lot of career AHL'rs to win the championship.
It stunts our players growths.
He's Fine
Pssst. Who signed those "career AHL'ers?" I'll give you a hint that some of them are drawing NHL paychecks...

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=7
Non ATL drafted talent signed by ATL:
Rissmiller (F) - (Playing in Lake Erie)
Krog (F)
Sifers (D)
Welch (D)
Siklenka (D)
MacIntyre (G)
Ross (F)

Cross referencing the Wolves roster to the CapGeek list of ATL signed players leaves you the following players "stunting the development of the poor neglected prospects..."

Deveaux (F) (former ATL signing in 2008)
Davies (F) (first year pro)
Haydar (F) (former ATL signing in 2008)
Hunt (F) (less than 150 games played in North America)
Garbutt (F) (second year pro, first year in the ECHL/AHL)
Matheson (D) (four years pro, 190 AHL games played only)

So I'd really like for you to explain to me just how the Wolves are "ruining the development of the prospects by signing washed up career AHL'ers for Championships and not performing player growth and development of their parent club."

Old
01-20-2011, 12:29 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Weren't all of those guys signed in case we needed a call-up???

Old
01-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparch View Post
Pssst. Who signed those "career AHL'ers?" I'll give you a hint that some of them are drawing NHL paychecks...

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=7
Non ATL drafted talent signed by ATL:
Rissmiller (F) - (Playing in Lake Erie)
Krog (F)
Sifers (D)
Welch (D)
Siklenka (D)
MacIntyre (G)
Ross (F)

Cross referencing the Wolves roster to the CapGeek list of ATL signed players leaves you the following players "stunting the development of the poor neglected prospects..."

Deveaux (F) (former ATL signing in 2008)
Davies (F) (first year pro)
Haydar (F) (former ATL signing in 2008)
Hunt (F) (less than 150 games played in North America)
Garbutt (F) (second year pro, first year in the ECHL/AHL)
Matheson (D) (four years pro, 190 AHL games played only)

So I'd really like for you to explain to me just how the Wolves are "ruining the development of the prospects by signing washed up career AHL'ers for Championships and not performing player growth and development of their parent club."
1) NHL teams have a need sometimes to sign some 2 way contracts, to fill incase of injuries, and to help the AHL club out. NHL teams get 50 slots to fill, and you need vets and youth in the bottom 27

Of your names mentioned :
Rissmiller (F) - (Playing in Lake Erie) - was Acquired through trade as depth.
Krog (F) - Was re-signed this offseason as a call up if needed(As he proved nothing in the NHL during his time, yet lights up the AHL with Haydar)
Sifers (D) - See Krog
Welch (D) - was projected to be our 7th/8th call up, Meyer passed him. Recovering from major surgery as well still.
Siklenka (D) - See Sifers
MacIntyre (G) - was signed last year as emergency goalie call up, Got passed by Mannino(Who is now up at the club).
Ross (F) - see krog

Krog/Ross/Sifers/Siklenka are all call up if you have no one to sign, and to fill in the chicago wolves roster.

Should Sifers/siklenka be playing more minutes then Postma/Kulda? God no.

Should Haydar and Krog and all those you listed be getting no ice time, or being healthy scratches? Playing 4th line minutes and third line like the prospects have been?

Our biggest prospects have spent time in the press box.

Espo, Zubarev, Petterson, Kulda.

Should these guys be sitting for games, or be out there given a chance to succeed and grow in top minutes and not 6-10 a night? and given a chance to adapt?

The Wolves have ruined a lot of our prospects, instead of helped them along. The wolves run a business down there and strive to win, Unlike some AHL affiliates who don't care about record and properly give top prospects the ice time needed to succeed. Then again, the only 3 prospects i know got proper ice time and a chance to succeed is Kulda/Postma/Machachek.

Old
01-20-2011, 01:22 PM
aparch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
Our biggest prospects have spent time in the press box.

Espo, Zubarev, Petterson, Kulda.

Should these guys be sitting for games, or be out there given a chance to succeed and grow in top minutes and not 6-10 a night? and given a chance to adapt?

The Wolves have ruined a lot of our prospects, instead of helped them along. The wolves run a business down there and strive to win, Unlike some AHL affiliates who don't care about record and properly give top prospects the ice time needed to succeed. Then again, the only 3 prospects i know got proper ice time and a chance to succeed is Kulda/Postma/Machachek.
Espo was out with an injury this season (and a concussion).
Zubarev was out with a concussion.
Petterson was out with a concussion.
Kulda was injured near the start of the season.

That's why they were graced with their presence in the press box.

As a matter of fact, Noah Welch FINALLY passed his concussion baseline test. When did he get his concussion? Before THANKSGIVING. That's why he hasn't seen the ice.

Lever and Wilson have done pretty good with the latest crop of kids by mixing up the prospects with the veteran players. Krog and Haydar played on the same line for a few weeks with Pettersson, but Pettersson didn't play like Sterling so that line was broken up.

Kulda has been given PLENTY of chances to improve, but once he signed his entry level contract, he quit caring. The only reason his numbers were stellar last season was because of being paired with Chelios.

Postma is starting to fall into that problem too, still making rookie mistakes.

Getting this back on track: Aliu has hands of cement and seems to play with ADD. He gets a little lost in the clouds on the ice some times. Other games, he shows amazing brilliance, but can't quite put the puck in the net. I get the feeling that he's either a little bit burned out by the pressure, or he just treats it like it's still a hobby. He doesn't show the same fire that everyone raved about in Major Juniors when he was assigned to the Rockford IceHogs by the Blackhawks.

Old
01-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
The kids learn how to win in Chicago (AHL) at least. I'm sick of NHL fans wanting the AHL Clubs to cut their balls off and just be a god awful team for the sake of developing a couple so so players.

Old
01-21-2011, 10:03 PM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
The kids learn how to win in Chicago (AHL) at least. I'm sick of NHL fans wanting the AHL Clubs to cut their balls off and just be a god awful team for the sake of developing a couple so so players.
Too bad those years of AHL success haven't followed anyone to the NHL.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Jan Mursak in Detroit had 9 pts in 51 gms his second AHL season. I'd keep Aliu around and be patient. If his "agility and shape" get to par, the kid could become another Byfuglien up front.
^
Its Aliu's head holding him back

He was a cancer in Rockford and Hawks got rid of him (He was kicked off team last year)

And care to explain your Byfuglien up front comparison? Aliu plays nothing like Byfuglien

Aliu is more comparable to Steve Downie but unlike Downie he has shown no growth or progress in developing as a hockey player on or off ice

Old
01-25-2011, 05:05 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
^
Its Aliu's head holding him back

He was a cancer in Rockford and Hawks got rid of him (He was kicked off team last year)

And care to explain your Byfuglien up front comparison? Aliu plays nothing like Byfuglien

Aliu is more comparable to Steve Downie but unlike Downie he has shown no growth or progress in developing as a hockey player on or off ice
From what I remember when I saw him was he's got a big frame, used his size well. Though he scraps more like Downie.

Anyway, what happened to Aliu? Why is he not on the Chicago roster anymore?

Closed Thread