HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

3min 5 on 3 sinks Habs

Old
01-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Gert B Frobe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
The Habs were their own worst enemies tonight.. Undisciplined penalties at the end of the 1st cost them this game.. This was just a crappy game from our team tonight..

The Flyers can go **** themselves.. I will never give that team any credit for anything..
I hear ya. Habs definitely threw this game away. Lots of bad calls against and a bunch of posts and there you go. If it weren't for the calls and the posts this game is a 6-2 win.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He gets a ton of flak from fans, but hardly any from the media.
Perhaps, because there is no reason to.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Let's rip some heads off next game.

Or if we're losing again, don't pack it in, throw a ****ing hit.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:40 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Dude we hit 3 posts and scored 2 goals. We were also dominated the play until the three back-to back penalties in the first and dominated in the 2nd until the too many men on the ice. We also had multiple scoring chances that we just couldn't capitalize on.

The Flyers scored 3 PP goals, 2 on the 5 on 3. The game was far from what the score indicated. The Flyers just have a lot of skill and speed which is hard for our defense to handle.

We didn't lose the game because of a lack of toughness, we lost because we played stupid. There are far tougher teams in the nhl than the Flyers and we havent had problems with them. What kills us are the Flyers skilled, speedy smaller players...Giroux, Briere and Leino. Every time these guys kill us.
Habs got absolutely killed along the boards and the D once again crumbled on an aggressive forecheck. Size/toughness IS an issue. The team crumbles when games get physical and aggressive. No one hits...no one can even set a tone by delivering a big hit or a fight.

If you're not going to be tough then at least have skill and finish. We have neither.

Look at the PP. Easily neutralized once you cover the points cuz the habs have 0 low post game...and a lot of it has to do with size. No one in front of the net willing to take the punishment besides Patches and Darche to get those garbage goals. Hab players standing with the puck along the boards trying to make cross crease passes that rarely ever work.

Need to get bigger and tougher.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Habs got absolutely killed along the boards and the D once again crumbled on an aggressive forecheck. Size/toughness IS an issue. The team crumbles when games get physical and aggressive. No one hits...no one can even set a tone by delivering a big hit or a fight.

If you're not going to be tough then at least have skill and finish. We have neither.

Look at the PP. Easily neutralized once you cover the points cuz the habs have 0 low post game...and a lot of it has to do with size. No one in front of the net willing to take the punishment besides Patches and Darche to get those garbage goals. Hab players standing with the puck along the boards trying to make cross crease passes that rarely ever work.

Kind of funny that everytime we play the Flyers it's always what we are talking about

Old
01-25-2011, 09:43 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Perhaps, because there is no reason to.
Like I said before, we've been playing 'undisciplined' hockey all season. Maybe the system puts our small, weaker forwards at a disadvantage? Who knows? Again, not saying he deserves a massive part of the blame here, only that people shouldn't be so shocked or abhorred when they state that he might just be a little at fault.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Dude we hit 3 posts and scored 2 goals. We were also dominated the play until the three back-to back penalties in the first and dominated in the 2nd until the too many men on the ice. We also had multiple scoring chances that we just couldn't capitalize on.

The Flyers scored 3 PP goals, 2 on the 5 on 3. The game was far from what the score indicated. The Flyers just have a lot of skill and speed which is hard for our defense to handle.

We didn't lose the game because of a lack of toughness, we lost because we played stupid. There are far tougher teams in the nhl than the Flyers and we havent had problems with them. What kills us are the Flyers skilled, speedy smaller players...Giroux, Briere and Leino. Every time these guys kill us.
Amen.

That's how I read the game too. It's not like Flyers actually crushed a few Habs on their way to score their goals.

Taking penalties and giving the Flyers an early lead is recipe for disaster.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:45 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:

dude, all you had to see was the series last year, look at the highlights and let me know who on the Habs can match up with Shelly, Carcillo, Hartnell and Pronger.

And if you don't think that those type of players can't grind down our smaller players in a playoff series then you my friend are as delusional as Habs management has been since 1993.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Like I said before, we've been playing 'undisciplined' hockey all season. Maybe the system puts our small, weaker forwards at a disadvantage? Again, not saying he deserves a massive part of the blame here, only that people shouldn't be so shocked or abhorred when they state that he might just be a little at fault.
I don't think the problems is the systems. Look, just tonight Kostitsyn and Gomez penalties were in the offensive zone. What can Martin do about this honestly ? That was just two stupids penalties taken by theses two players. We had so many offensive zone penalties during the season and that's what killed us all-year long. This have nothing to do with the system.

Last edited by Forsead: 01-25-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old
01-25-2011, 09:48 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:

yes.... The two goals were scored by players who drove to the net!!!!

It's pathetic when guys like Gionta and DD stand in front of the net and the opposition goalie can look OVER our players, kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Old
01-25-2011, 09:51 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
yes.... The two goals were scored by players who drove to the net!!!!

It's pathetic when guys like Gionta and DD stand in front of the net and the opposition goalie can look OVER our players, kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
Are you agreeing or being sarcastic. I can't tell.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
dude, all you had to see was the series last year, look at the highlights and let me know who on the Habs can match up with Shelly, Carcillo, Hartnell and Pronger.

And if you don't think that those type of players can't grind down our smaller players in a playoff series then you my friend are as delusional as Habs management has been since 1993.
How many minutes did Carcillo or Shelley even play?

Shelley got rocked twice this game once by Weber and once by Pouliot. There was absolutley no physicality this game. The Flyers passing game made us run around the zone like chickens with no heads.

This Flyers toughness and why we lose is the biggest misconception and I honestly don't see it. Montreal had as many chances as the Flyers did until all the stupid penalties which killed momentum. We also won as many board battles as they did. Heck it wasn't even a game about board battles. The Flyers were playing a pure rushing game and were extremely successful and the habs were neutralized in the offensive zone because Laviolette employs an effective neutral zone trap which just kills all our speed, the part of the game we excel at.

We did not lose because of toughness. We lost because of 3 stupid penalties which led to three goals.

Flyers played a rushing passing game tonight and it killed us. It was far from a physical game and the board battles were even on each side. One team capitalized on opportunities the other didn't.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:53 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Are you agreeing or being sarcastic. I can't tell.
I agree with you 100 percent... We will get beat AGAIN in a series with the Flyers unless we getvsome fearless players!!!!

Quote:
The Flyers know it too...they tried intimidating the Habs the minute the puck dropped and it worked.
There friggin laughing at the bench...I saw it on Versus !!!!!

Old
01-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Dont want to face the Flyers in the PO

they are a great team , Giroux is amazing

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:03 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

I've been thinking this since their game against the Sens and tonight confirmed it imo, Flyers being a tough team is a MYTH...

why ?
- anyone who watched their game against the Sens now know Giroux and Hartnell fight like little girls - and Shelley isnt a great fighter either , and while you dont need to fight to be tough, knowing the former two cant fight means they dont intimidate anyone, not even the dwarven Habs.

tonight
- we saw Carcillo not having much interest in fighting White
- not much in fighting Subban either (who looked ready IMO)
- we too saw Hartnell hide behind teammates after his penalty in the 3rd
- we also saw Meszaros making sure to keep his gloves when Paxx dropped his
- we also saw a pretty quiet Pronger with Gill on the ice (Pouliot/Pronger penalties)
- speaking of quietness, not much was happening when Moen and White were on the Ice, the two may not have been uber physical, but the same could be said of their opponents.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Erika

The Habs got outplayed by the Flyers and Martin got outcoached by Laviolette pure and simple.

If they meet in the playoffs, the Habs are out in 4...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
ok .... maybe. but no way I'd trade Cammelleri, Plekanec or Kostitsyn for Mike Richards!
LOL Okay, if it makes you feel better...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Against a team like the Flyers, the only chance the Habs have is to play a perfect game top to bottom. That went out the window in the first with 3 of the most blatant penalties I've seen all season. Just threw away whatever chance they had to be in it right there.

Some relative positives tonight. They didn't really give up, they were just outclassed. Liked the feistiness shown, some guys played some nice chippy hockey, though unfortunately not the guys who are gonna score many goals.

Oh well, at this point should the Habs make the playoffs they just have to hope somebody else takes out the Flyers. Definitely not a team we match up well with. Past teams have gone far employing this strategy of luck.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I've been thinking this since their game against the Sens and tonight confirmed it imo, Flyers being a tough team is a MYTH...
why ?
- anyone who watched their game against the Sens now know Giroux and Hartnell fight like little girls - and Shelley isnt a great fighter either , and while you dont need to fight to be tough, knowing the former two cant fight means they dont intimidate anyone, not even the dwarven Habs.

tonight
- we saw Carcillo not having much interest in fighting White
- not much in fighting Subban either (who looked ready IMO)
- we too saw Hartnell hide behind teammates after his penalty in the 3rd
- we also saw Meszaros making sure to keep his gloves when Paxx dropped his
- we also saw a pretty quiet Pronger with Gill on the ice (Pouliot/Pronger penalties)
- speaking of quietness, not much was happening when Moen and White were on the Ice, the two may not have been uber physical, but the same could be said of their opponents.
I've been saying the bolded all year. They are not a tough team, they are a skilled team with 1st line talent on three lines. That's enough to kill every team especially when you couple that with the fact they have two 50+ pts defensemen.

Flyers may be a dirty team, but they are not a tough team. They are very well-coached and are a classic Laviolette team. You just need to look at them under Stevens and now under Laviolette to see the transformation they've gone under. Carolina played the same way. His system is an up tempo one which dictates the play.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Dont want to face the Flyers in the PO

they are a great team , Giroux is amazing
No offense but I hope none of the Habs players is thinking like you.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:09 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
I hear ya. Habs definitely threw this game away. Lots of bad calls against and a bunch of posts and there you go. If it weren't for the calls and the posts this game is a 6-2 win.
I was sure there was gonna be a in this post somewhere since your a Flyers fan but since my sarcasm detector is not working correctly tonight I'll reply..

The only real bad call tonight was the slashing call against Desharnais in the 2nd.. That was a joke.. The rest were things that normally gets called all the time and they were just stupid penalties by the Habs.. If the Habs were more disciplined and could have gotten more pressure on the Flyers goalie (who looked shaky the whole night) this game would have been closer on the scoreboard.

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:11 PM
coolasprICE

If the Flyers don't win the Cup I'd be shocked.

God, it's tough to admit it but once you realize what they are bound to achieve it gets a lot easier to cope with.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:11 PM
overlords
Hfboards

At the very least, natey is watching my back

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:13 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
I don't know how you guys forget Carter. He is another Habs' killer (just like Cole form the Hurricanes)

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:15 PM
sheed36

Damn.. I was just gonna reply to that 2 post Flyer troll and overlords made her disappear way to fast..

I hope your first night as a mod dealing with trolls wasn't too bad overloads..

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote