HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3min 5 on 3 sinks Habs

Old
01-25-2011, 10:17 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
focus on the post game guys, not the trolls. dealing with it as best I can. And if you want to help out, report them and stop quoting them please

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Mike2000z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I've been saying the bolded all year. They are not a tough team, they are a skilled team with 1st line talent on three lines. That's enough to kill every team especially when you couple that with the fact they have two 50+ pts defensemen.

Flyers may be a dirty team, but they are not a tough team. They are very well-coached and are a classic Laviolette team. You just need to look at them under Stevens and now under Laviolette to see the transformation they've gone under. Carolina played the same way. His system is an up tempo one which dictates the play.
Just curious because the league obviously doesn't allow any type of hard hockey anymore, look at tonight for example. So yeah broadstreet bullies doesn't fit, but your delusional to think they aren't tough. I don't see one team thats tougher at all. Most flyers would drop the gloves and have including the top players except briere(hes a midget, haha). I can't say the same for most teams.

Just reading your posts, your in denial about quite a few things and frankly i don't get why. Habs hockey is about shifty/speedy hockey and not about being physical as a team. Cmon even Zherdev and Briere threw some hits tonight. The Habs have some key injuries, and also should have addressed some issues from last year regarding getting a more physical presence around the net for screening,garbage goals. It is what it is.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:18 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
If the Flyers don't win the Cup I'd be shocked.

God, it's tough to admit it but once you realize what they are bound to achieve it gets a lot easier to cope with.
They wont win they are the Flyers, a rested Crosby (flyer killer) and Malkin will beat them. The Flyers and Eagles are cursed.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Forsead

I really hope Spacek only needed some rest, because he had a bad game (well I will give him that he got a post) and we need him to play well at least in a good shutdown role for the rest of the season with Markov and Gorges out.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Dekar

Sometimes I think people just look at the obvious size advantage of the Flyers and automatically assume it's why they beat us.

We as a team do not lack size, nor toughness. We need more players who play with heart. Guys with grit, guys who fight until the end. We looked like we just gave up after a few bad breaks and ill-timed penalties. You have a team that fights, you'll see a team close a 5-2 gap to 5-4 in a hurry and fight like crazy for a 5th in the dying minutes. We really looked like we were looking ahead to the week off rather than try to earn some points tonight.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:22 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
If the Flyers don't win the Cup I'd be shocked.

God, it's tough to admit it but once you realize what they are bound to achieve it gets a lot easier to cope with.
Sorry. They won't win a cup with the goalies they have right now. They need to trade for a better goalie at the deadline to have a good run.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:24 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
They wont win they are the Flyers, a rested Crosby (flyer killer) and Malkin will beat them. The Flyers and Eagles are cursed.
I hope you're right. A rested Malkin / Crosby could make it interesting no doubt.

But it'll probably come down to which team is healthier (ex: if Giroux or Richards is out, Pens can take it). If both teams are healthy, I have to give the nod to Flyers this time.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:24 PM
MarkovsKnee

Man has our penalty killing sucked since Gorges went down. Does anyone care to look at what our percentage is since he left? I'm too scared to. We miss him a lot. And, Marky too. Our D just ain't the same without them. God, Spacek sucks and shouldn't be playing the p.k. in any shape or form.

I didn't watch tonight's game because I felt this is exactly the way it was going to go.
3 PP goals against tonight, 4 PP goals allowed against Pittsburgh, our best penalty killer out, and a team that takes far too many dumb penalties. Not a good combination.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post
Just curious because the league obviously doesn't allow any type of hard hockey anymore, look at tonight for example. So yeah broadstreet bullies doesn't fit, but your delusional to think they aren't tough. I don't see one team thats tougher at all. Most flyers would drop the gloves and have including the top players except briere(hes a midget, haha). I can't say the same for most teams.

Just reading your posts, your in denial about quite a few things and frankly i don't get why. Habs hockey is about shifty/speedy hockey and not about being physical as a team. Cmon even Zherdev and Briere threw some hits tonight. The Habs have some key injuries, and also should have addressed some issues from last year regarding getting a more physical presence around the net for screening,garbage goals. It is what it is.
So briere and Zherdev threw hits? Weber and Pouliot both nailed Shelley I guess that makes them behemoths. Also Subban flattened Zherdev. Pacioretty rocked Carter behind the net. White took down Meszaros twice on one shift. Eller rocked Hartnell in open ice that made Hartnell go bananas trying to find a target the rest of the game only to settle on our smallest player. Gionta put Leino right into his own bench as well. I guess the habs are just as tough right?

The Flyers are a skilled team. Zherdev, Leino, Briere, Giroux and Carter are all skilled guys. Carter is hardly any tougher than Pouliot.

You scored 3 PP goals, two on the 5 on 3. Up until that point the game was fairly even and pretty exciting. Those goals took all the momentum out of the game. The habs had multiple chances. They hit the post 3 times and couldn't capitalize on anything else.

Laviolette plays an aggressive system. The Flyers look exactly like the Canes did a few years ago when they were among the top teams in the league. He's an excellent coach who keeps breaking Martin's system.

Even against the toughest of toughest teams Montreal doesn't have as much trouble as they do with the Flyers because the Flyers just have that much skill. They already have 4 players with 40 points. They have 7 forwards who can put up 60+ points and two d-men who can put up 50+ points while all playing a very sound two-way game(aside from Briere and Zherdev) and that is why they are among the best teams in the league and that is why they give everyone trouble.

Tonight wasn't even a physical game in the slightest, the habs were far from manhandled and had as many chances to score as the Flyers did. The difference is the Flyers capitalized on all their chances. Also they killed the Canadiens in the neutral zone. Laviolette's set up to stifle speed through the neutral zone is among the best in the league. It kills all transition games.

Last edited by Andy: 01-25-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
If MTL is out of the playoff I honestly think I will root for them and/or the Canucks(canadian team). I like how they play, the Flyers have loads of talents, toughness and they also are an organization that want to win each season, they don't tank, they are always competitive (they try at least), they also have passionates fans. Plus, three lost in their three last Stanley cup finals appearance. I wouldn't be mad, they earned it.

Obviously if the habs play against them I will want that they rot in hell.

Old
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Sorry. They won't win a cup with the goalies they have right now. They need to trade for a better goalie at the deadline to have a good run.
Goaltending is not what got them their last year, and it's not how the Hawks won either... Stacked teams can more than compensate for average goaltending... just look at how we fair against them with elite goaltending on our side

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysonlu View Post
No offense but I hope none of the Habs players is thinking like you.
They are probably thinking Stanley cup and that its cool being rich like every players in the league

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Michael Leighton scored three shutouts in a single series last year that should have been attributed to the Flyers' team defense instead of him.

Anti Niemi is a Stanley Cup champion.

Must I go on? Just because Montreal's last two cups hinged on superhuman goaltending performances doesn't mean all championships are won like that. Of course Philly's a favourite to win it this year.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
holyhabs

We played the best team in the league on the road who just matches up perfectly against us. I hope someone else can take them out in the playoffs because I have no confidence that we can. Pittsburgh, Bruins hell even Tampa with all their Frenchies..bring em on...Philly...not a chance, especially without Markov and Gorges. Their third line has Giroux or Briere and they will dominate vs Spacek and Weber.

We have gotten 17 pts out of a possible 24 heading into the All-Star break so losing to the best team in the league should not mean the world is ending.

With this loss and no hockey for a week, Habs talk (L'antichambre, Radio) in this city should get interesting.

holyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post

well, after tonight game it pretty obvious you could include Meszaros and Hartnell in the Briere list... while finding excuses as to why Carcillo didnt want to go with White, and Subban in the 3rd

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:32 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
If MTL is out of the playoff I honestly think I will root for them and/or the Canucks(canadian team). I like how they play, the Flyers have loads of talents, toughness and they also are an organization that want to win each season, they don't tank, they are always competitive (they try at least), they also have passionates fans. Plus, three lost in their three last Stanley cup finals appearance. I wouldn't be mad, they earned it.

Obviously if the habs play against them I will want that they rot in hell.
Seriously and it sickens me to say this but I'd rather root for the Bruins than root for the Flyers or Canucks..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Seriously and it sickens me to say this but I'd rather root for the Bruins than root for the Flyers or Canucks..
Well I would never root for the bruins....never.

Old
01-25-2011, 10:35 PM
JackZap

Quote:
I like the Flyers too, I mean I cant stand that piece of **** Briere and that moron Bobby Clarke but they are a nice to team to watch.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:40 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
The 3 teams that I will never ever root for Are the leafs, Bruins and Flyers. I cheered when the Oilers ,wings and Hawks beat the flyers in the finals and when the oilers beat the bruins.. The leafs have never got close to winning in my life ....

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:43 PM
JayBee*

I will never root for another team. WTF is wrong with some of you? Habs or bust. I will root against certain teams....but I would never root for a team...and LOL @ rooting for Philly if the Habs are out. You can't be serious.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:45 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Goaltending is not what got them their last year, and it's not how the Hawks won either... Stacked teams can more than compensate for average goaltending... just look at how we fair against them with elite goaltending on our side
Stanley Cup GWG says otherwise...

Old
01-25-2011, 10:46 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
I feel like a bruins fan.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I will never root for another team. WTF is wrong with some of you? Habs or bust. I will root against certain teams....but I would never root for a team...and LOL @ rooting for Philly if the Habs are out. You can't be serious.
Well I'm a hockey fan before I'm a Habs fan.

I really don't know what is wrong with that not saying that I will be in joy when they win. But, I think I will follow them.

Old
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Nice to see you speak like a real fan for once

Old
01-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Andy

Quote:
I actually follow the Flyers quite a lot. I watch as many of their games as possible and read their boards quite a lot. I root for them whenever they're not playing against the habs. probably my second favorite team. This is why I laugh at people who think Flyers are this big bad tough team which no one else compared to. It's just false. They are a highly skilled team. Actually they are the most skilled team in the league by fay.

Briere, Carter, Richards, Giroux are all PPG players.

Zherdev, Leino, Hartnell are all 60 pts players.

Briere, Carter and Hartnell all have the capabiltiy to score 30+ goals. Zherdev is the 3rd line playing 12-14 minuties a game and is on pace for 28-30 goals.

Timonen and Pronger are both great defensemen both defensively and offensively. They are able to put up 50+ points. Both are number one d-men on many teams in the league. Timonen has to be one of the most underrated defensmen in the game.

Richards, Carter, Giroux, Hartnell are all great two-way players.

Guys like Shelley and Carcillo hardly play.

Betts is a big guy who is strong along the boards but he isn't a physical player in the sense of Cal Clutterbuck. The guys who are most physical and play so intentionally are Powe, Hartnell and Richards, O'Donnell.

Other players on their team can play physical(Coburn, Carle, Carter), but they don't go out of their way to do so.

They are an excellent team from top to bottom and imo are still an elite goaltender away from take it all home. Their goalies benefit heavily from them just having a great team.

Adding to this is the fact they have a really mobile and defensively solid D, who all move the puck well. They have great speed up front. Couple alll these factors with Laviolette's system and you see why the Flyers are so good. His system is a great one and turned the team around who just looked brutal and ill-structured under Stevens. In fact, they had 0 structure under Stevens, he was a terrible coach.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote