HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

New York Rangers @ Washington Capitals (01.24.2011) 7:30pm

Old
01-25-2011, 09:49 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
caps dont have a left shot to be respected from distance.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:54 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
As a Rangers fans, to me it looked like the Caps are just lacking that dangerous transition game they used to bring. Maybe it's partly the Rangers defense, but the Caps also seemed slower at making things happen. Even if they broke the puck out quickly past the Rangers forecheckers, when they'd get into the Rangers zone, they'd slow down and almost every time get caught by the Rangers forwards who were backchecking.

Again, some of that I think can be attributed to the Rangers defensemen making good plays and the forwards coming back hard, but overall it just seemed like that element of the Caps game that was always so frightening wasn't there at all.

Too indecisive, and it also manifests in Ovechkin and Green not shooting the puck.

On the other hand, their defense looked real good, so there's that
i hate to burst your rangers fan bubble, but the caps have been having these issues for 20-25 games. this was not the rangers defense shutting down the high octane caps offense. there has been no caps offense to speak of from their top players since semin stopped scoring/playing in december.

its not the rangers

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:59 AM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
As a Rangers fans, to me it looked like the Caps are just lacking that dangerous transition game they used to bring. Maybe it's partly the Rangers defense, but the Caps also seemed slower at making things happen. Even if they broke the puck out quickly past the Rangers forecheckers, when they'd get into the Rangers zone, they'd slow down and almost every time get caught by the Rangers forwards who were backchecking.

On the other hand, their defense looked real good, so there's that
You've about got it right. The latter is explained by the former and vice-versa. Our dangerous transition game was made possible by the fact that our forwards would stay very high in the D zone, and or exit early, for stretch passes -- thereby often resulting in our D guys being stranded and vulnerable to a high-pressure forecheck. We were also fond of quick passes from the boards to the center of the ice to the last forward out of the zone. Both of those ingredients helped to foster last year's trademark quick transition, but they also made us susceptible to turnovers that could be converted into quick counter-attacks by the opposition. We don't do that anymore -- we're more patient and deliberate coming out of the D zone and through the neutral zone. As a consequence, we get fewer opportunities, but we give up fewer as well. Also, as a consequence, we're less fun to watch playing this style.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:27 PM
meanolthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post

I don't want to alarm anyone, but I believe I saw Mike Knuble having his pre-game dinner at a local Cracker Barrel at about 4:00 PM the other day. Also seated at his table were Chris Chelios and Bill Guerin.
It's only a concern if they were discussing how to keep those damn kids off their respective lawns .

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Roccoman

i'm just posting to point out that i didnt post after the loss.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote