HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

41st Obsequious Banter Thread - Mez Dispenser

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2011, 06:42 PM
  #76
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
I vote Radbod as my favorite historical name.

UseYourAllusion is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 06:43 PM
  #77
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Vlad the Impaler was pretty intense.

dbr2 is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 06:45 PM
  #78
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
I'm having a rather longwided discussion on the main board with one guy who appears to be deliberately obtuse, and another one who is pretty much an outright troll. I'm growing rather sick of having to explain over and over again that when a team is no longer using a color in a primary capacity, it's no longer a team color. It should be really simple...

chaosof99* is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 06:48 PM
  #79
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,677
vCash: 500
Got my WD 2TB Green HDD installed and all ready to go... but I have no IDEA what I could fill it with. Hell, I don't have that much info. My whole computer holds just under 4TB.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 06:49 PM
  #80
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
People who visit the main board get no sympathy when they complain about it.

UseYourAllusion is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 06:59 PM
  #81
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I'm in Western Civ now I. It's kind of interesting. I think the teacher has a lot to do with it. He loves history not to mention, a nice guy who isn't a boring speaker. I am going to take him for West Civ II.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you planning on doing with your degree? I'm a History/secondary ed. guy.
History, like all subjects, is entirely dependent on the teacher. If they aren't engaging, it's rough.

I've already graduated...I'm not in grad school for a variety of reasons, and not getting a teaching degree for similar reasons. I would love to teach it at some point though. Right now it's just a hobby.



a 54" water main broke in MD yesterday. It was pretty epic overall.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 07:10 PM
  #82
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It took me 3 tries to spell that city correctly.

See, this is why I don't like saying "the Civil War was caused by slavery." It's important, and fueled the fire, but it's really much deeper than that.

edit: At the time many saw that slavery was not sustainable, that the idea of expanding it westward was a waste of time, and that it would die a natural death. A theory is that as industry was beginning to expand southward, it would give new life to slavery and would also be a serious threat to northern industry. So there's that, I guess.
I was also under the impression that there was much more to it than that. That's why I didn't quite comprehend the early insistence that it was. To me, it's like going to Wing Bowl at 6am and drinking all day and night until you come home and puke, saying it was the Taco Bell that made you vom.

Terence Peterman is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 07:15 PM
  #83
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Yo Opy! How is everything man?

Glad to see you back, and I see you moved. Livin' the dream.
Doing well, been back for a few weeks now.

I'm just in Vancouver for work.


I'm living the dream one nightmare at a time.

Opus is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 07:27 PM
  #84
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
I vote Radbod as my favorite historical name.
Big McLargeHuge

mypunkrock is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 07:29 PM
  #85
PhillyPhantic
Registered User
 
PhillyPhantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I was also under the impression that there was much more to it than that. That's why I didn't quite comprehend the early insistence that it was. To me, it's like going to Wing Bowl at 6am and drinking all day and night until you come home and puke, saying it was the Taco Bell that made you vom.
There isn't much more to it than that though... now the timing and necessity of it can be debatable, but the central cause is not.
Using your argument, it's like saying you threw up due to consuming too much alcohol.


Also without the Thirty Years War, Europa Universalis would be a much worse game... it's so fun to play as a member of the Holy Roman Empire with the goal of uniting Europe

PhillyPhantic is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 07:35 PM
  #86
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhantic View Post
There isn't much more to it than that though... now the timing and necessity of it can be debatable, but the central cause is not.
Using your argument, it's like saying you threw up due to consuming too much alcohol.
I don't think so at all. The point of my argument is nothing happens suddenly or from one instance. I'm not disputing slavery as a main cause (maybe the Taco Bell sends you over the top), but to not consider what precipitated it (the all-day drinking) seems too convenient.

Terence Peterman is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 07:41 PM
  #87
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I don't think so at all. The point of my argument is nothing happens suddenly or from one instance. I'm not disputing slavery as a main cause (maybe the Taco Bell sends you over the top), but to not consider what precipitated it (the all-day drinking) seems too convenient.
Yeah. For the most part, slavery certainly didn't motivate the common soldier who signed up and supported the cause. The average Union soldier wouldn't have died to free the slaves and was actually quite racist by today's standards. When the Emancipation Proclamation was issued, it caused a lot of unrest in the Union ranks, because many felt they hadn't signed up to free the slaves. The average CSA soldier didn't own slaves and had no real hope of ever owning one. He was fighting to defend his home, not for the "rights" of the rich. That is routinely forgotten and often never mentioned.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 07:52 PM
  #88
PhillyPhantic
Registered User
 
PhillyPhantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I don't think so at all. The point of my argument is nothing happens suddenly or from one instance. I'm not disputing slavery as a main cause (maybe the Taco Bell sends you over the top), but to not consider what precipitated it (the all-day drinking) seems too convenient.
Well... sure, you can say that inadequate dressing of the slavery issue during the Constitutional Convention. Or the invention of the cotten gin that made growing cash crops in the south using slave labor economically profitable. Or the sudden shift of popular culture in the 1850s to suddenly turn the majority of the northern population abolitionists.
However, like I said before, all of them are derivatives of slavery issue.
Three-Fifth Compromise, Mason-Dixon Compromise, Missouri Compromise, Ostend Manifesto, Bleeding Kansas, Dred Scott, Lincoln-Douglas Debate... all of them derived from slavery and expansion of slavery...
Cause of Civil War generally goes:
Slavery >>> Western Expansion >> Differentials in Economic systems > State's Rights > Tariffs
All but maybe tariffs are related to slavery or caused by slavery.
Even the Southerners recognized this. Texas Declaration of Causes for Secession even spent half the document talking about slavery.

PhillyPhantic is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 08:04 PM
  #89
PhillyPhantic
Registered User
 
PhillyPhantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah. For the most part, slavery certainly didn't motivate the common soldier who signed up and supported the cause. The average Union soldier wouldn't have died to free the slaves and was actually quite racist by today's standards. When the Emancipation Proclamation was issued, it caused a lot of unrest in the Union ranks, because many felt they hadn't signed up to free the slaves. The average CSA soldier didn't own slaves and had no real hope of ever owning one. He was fighting to defend his home, not for the "rights" of the rich. That is routinely forgotten and often never mentioned.
Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die. -- H Hoover

Uhmmm actually the cause of the war was not lost on the Union soldiers. The riots in New York about draft laws actually targeted African American churches and businesses... There were even lynchings because the draftees didn't want to fight for the blacks.

PhillyPhantic is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 08:18 PM
  #90
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhantic View Post
Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die. -- H Hoover

Uhmmm actually the cause of the war was not lost on the Union soldiers. The riots in New York about draft laws actually targeted African American churches and businesses... There were even lynchings because the draftees didn't want to fight for the blacks.

Those were the people who sat out initially. There were still swarms of people who signed up of their own accord out of patriotism, but not to free slaves.

It really is a very complicated issue. It's a little bit of everything adding up.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 08:44 PM
  #91
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Does anyone here know much about taxes? My girlfriend tried to file online and she said she is going to get back exactly $0. I thought it seemed weird. I think she made about $35k in 2010 and worked at the same job the whole year. I dont think she had any deduction or exemptions. I know she said she has a 401k and I think a Roth account at 2% for each. Does that seem right? I dont know a damn thing about taxes, I take mine to an uncle who does mine for me.

Juicy Couturier* is offline  
Old
01-26-2011, 12:11 AM
  #92
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Does anyone here know much about taxes? My girlfriend tried to file online and she said she is going to get back exactly $0. I thought it seemed weird. I think she made about $35k in 2010 and worked at the same job the whole year. I dont think she had any deduction or exemptions. I know she said she has a 401k and I think a Roth account at 2% for each. Does that seem right? I dont know a damn thing about taxes, I take mine to an uncle who does mine for me.
That's real weird. I would perhaps ask someone if I were her.

Gas company been outside my house drilling all ****ing night.

dbr2 is offline  
Old
01-26-2011, 12:12 AM
  #93
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,757
vCash: 500
Buying a Ukulele tomorrow.


****ing stoked.

OriginJM is offline  
Old
01-26-2011, 12:23 AM
  #94
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
That's real weird. I would perhaps ask someone if I were her.

Gas company been outside my house drilling all ****ing night.
Dude, me too. Weird.

UseYourAllusion is offline  
Old
01-26-2011, 01:08 AM
  #95
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,450
vCash: 500
Just got back from the Coyotes/Oilers game. Ladies and gentlemen, I can now appreciate how much we, as Flyers fans, kick ass.

Positives about Jobing.com arena - PBR tall cans(!!!), great sound system, the company I had, Upshall with 2 goals, attractive Oilers fans, surprisingly nice area and FREE parking, phenomenal food/beer selection

Negatives - ice girls were manly, PBR tall cans cost $10, the Coyotes have little to no system in place, terrible mascot

Philly, I miss you so.

mypunkrock is offline  
Old
01-26-2011, 01:14 AM
  #96
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Dude, me too. Weird.
Are we...neighbors?

dbr2 is offline  
Old
01-26-2011, 01:49 AM
  #97
flyersguy33*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,708
vCash: 500
http://www.crossingbroad.com/2011/01...dispenser.html

Quote:
According the WHYY, the Wells Fargo Center will be the first Philly area stadium to implement the new Bottom's Up Beer Dispenser. In case you haven't seen it yet, the BUBD fills your beer from the... wait for it... bottom up.

It uses a magnet that covers a hole in the bottom (that's the trigger word right there) of the cup. When placed on the dispenser, the magnet is lifted to allow beer to fill into the cup. The dispenser, which pours beer 9x faster than the average tap, automatically cuts itself off once the cup is full. Hello sexy!

When removed from the dispenser, the magnet is pulled back down by a small magnetic ring in the bottom of the cup- Sealing. It. Shut. I love you.

flyersguy33* is offline  
Old
01-26-2011, 02:24 AM
  #98
PhillyPhantic
Registered User
 
PhillyPhantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Just got back from the Coyotes/Oilers game. Ladies and gentlemen, I can now appreciate how much we, as Flyers fans, kick ass.

Positives about Jobing.com arena - PBR tall cans(!!!), great sound system, the company I had, Upshall with 2 goals, attractive Oilers fans, surprisingly nice area and FREE parking, phenomenal food/beer selection

Negatives - ice girls were manly, PBR tall cans cost $10, the Coyotes have little to no system in place, terrible mascot

Philly, I miss you so.
Just be glad you have NHL hockey.... not all of us are so lucky in our choice of cities to live in

PS: Best historical name: Cnut
Look it up, it's a real dude and an easy anagram of another four letter word.

PhillyPhantic is offline  
Old
01-26-2011, 03:29 AM
  #99
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It took me 3 tries to spell that city correctly.

See, this is why I don't like saying "the Civil War was caused by slavery." It's important, and fueled the fire, but it's really much deeper than that.

edit: At the time many saw that slavery was not sustainable, that the idea of expanding it westward was a waste of time, and that it would die a natural death. A theory is that as industry was beginning to expand southward, it would give new life to slavery and would also be a serious threat to northern industry. So there's that, I guess.
The Civil War was caused by slavery. Slavery was the central divisive issue at the founding of the nation, and they punted on it. That created an untenable political situation that plagued the nation throughout the antebellum period. The real problem is assessing the Civil War and slavery's relation to it purely in the events of the 1850s and 1860s. That was just the end game of a debate that centered on slavery that had been simmering throughout the nation's existence.

Politically, and what led to the secession of the southern states, the primary issue with Lincoln's rise to the presidency was that he was against the westward expansion of slavery and all of that jazz (that's why the Democratic Party split along North/South lines).

Sure, there was a ton of waxing and waning over brandy about the future of slavery in the US, and there were some that felt it would eventually die out. However, if you are a wealthy southern slave holder in the late 1850s, and your wealth and power are directly related to the slave society that you and your forefathers have created and maintained... then the **** is seemingly hitting the fan if there will be no more slave states joining the union (due to the composition of the US legislative body). Their position in society was directly associated with their possession of slaves, and those were the individuals with political power in the South. Which is, of course, why there is a very strong correlation between plantation societies and secession (South Carolina had the largest slave population in the nation).

It wasn't much deeper than slavery. Slavery was it. It was always about slavery. It could have been addressed at the founding of the nation, but the North was more interested in actually getting everyone's name on the paper... so they compromised and brought slavery along with 'em into the union.

Now, it becomes more complex because slaveholding societies are distinct from non-slaveholding societies. So, if you're going to talk about removing slaves from a society, you're talking about fundamentally altering the way that society is going to operate (socially, culturally, politically, economically, etc.). So, the southern states were entirely accurate when they talked about the north attacking their way of life... however, what was being attacked was slavery.

The arguments then got dressed up in all sorts of other stuff, but the fact of the matter was that the Civil War was over slavery. It's position within the United States, and the the political and economic realities that its existence had fostered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah. For the most part, slavery certainly didn't motivate the common soldier who signed up and supported the cause. The average Union soldier wouldn't have died to free the slaves and was actually quite racist by today's standards. When the Emancipation Proclamation was issued, it caused a lot of unrest in the Union ranks, because many felt they hadn't signed up to free the slaves. The average CSA soldier didn't own slaves and had no real hope of ever owning one. He was fighting to defend his home, not for the "rights" of the rich. That is routinely forgotten and often never mentioned.
None of this necessarily matters for why the war was fought. Common soldiers in every war that has ever been fought have had little vested interest in the results, or any specific control over why the war was being fought.

As to CSA soldiers not owning slaves, or hoping to own one... fighting to defend his home, not for the "rich." You are missing some fundamental aspects of what was at stake for poor southern whites in the Civil War (and what happened after). No matter how poor you might be as a white in the south, you weren't black and you weren't a slave. The south had constructed a racial hierarchy system, and that was part of what was perceived as under attack. This is without getting into the fact that I think you're egregiously underestimating the cultural influence of the slaveholding class in the south, but that's another matter.

This is of fundamental importance to understanding the next century of US history, and the failure of Reconstruction. The Civil War eventually ended the institution of slavery, but the North quickly pulled the plug on Reconstruction and the social/racial hierarchy of the South quickly returned in new forms. There was advantage to that if you were white, and as we are all well aware significant disadvantage if you were black... and it took another 100 years before we figured that part of it out.

Jester is offline  
Old
01-26-2011, 11:02 AM
  #100
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,873
vCash: 50
Schools are letting out at noon. This doesn't look like a dusting.

GKJ is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.