HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

41st Obsequious Banter Thread - Mez Dispenser

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2011, 06:42 PM
UseYourAllusion

vCash: 500
I vote Radbod as my favorite historical name.

Old
01-25-2011, 06:43 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Vlad the Impaler was pretty intense.

Old
01-25-2011, 06:45 PM
chaosof99*

I'm having a rather longwided discussion on the main board with one guy who appears to be deliberately obtuse, and another one who is pretty much an outright troll. I'm growing rather sick of having to explain over and over again that when a team is no longer using a color in a primary capacity, it's no longer a team color. It should be really simple...

Old
01-25-2011, 06:48 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Got my WD 2TB Green HDD installed and all ready to go... but I have no IDEA what I could fill it with. Hell, I don't have that much info. My whole computer holds just under 4TB.

Old
01-25-2011, 06:49 PM
UseYourAllusion

People who visit the main board get no sympathy when they complain about it.

Old
01-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I'm in Western Civ now I. It's kind of interesting. I think the teacher has a lot to do with it. He loves history not to mention, a nice guy who isn't a boring speaker. I am going to take him for West Civ II.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you planning on doing with your degree? I'm a History/secondary ed. guy.
History, like all subjects, is entirely dependent on the teacher. If they aren't engaging, it's rough.

I've already graduated...I'm not in grad school for a variety of reasons, and not getting a teaching degree for similar reasons. I would love to teach it at some point though. Right now it's just a hobby.

a 54" water main broke in MD yesterday. It was pretty epic overall.

Old
01-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It took me 3 tries to spell that city correctly.

See, this is why I don't like saying "the Civil War was caused by slavery." It's important, and fueled the fire, but it's really much deeper than that.

edit: At the time many saw that slavery was not sustainable, that the idea of expanding it westward was a waste of time, and that it would die a natural death. A theory is that as industry was beginning to expand southward, it would give new life to slavery and would also be a serious threat to northern industry. So there's that, I guess.
I was also under the impression that there was much more to it than that. That's why I didn't quite comprehend the early insistence that it was. To me, it's like going to Wing Bowl at 6am and drinking all day and night until you come home and puke, saying it was the Taco Bell that made you vom.

Old
01-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Opus

Quote:
Yo Opy! How is everything man?

Glad to see you back, and I see you moved. Livin' the dream.
Doing well, been back for a few weeks now.

I'm just in Vancouver for work.

I'm living the dream one nightmare at a time.

Old
01-25-2011, 07:27 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
I vote Radbod as my favorite historical name.
Big McLargeHuge

Old
01-25-2011, 07:29 PM
PhillyPhantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I was also under the impression that there was much more to it than that. That's why I didn't quite comprehend the early insistence that it was. To me, it's like going to Wing Bowl at 6am and drinking all day and night until you come home and puke, saying it was the Taco Bell that made you vom.
There isn't much more to it than that though... now the timing and necessity of it can be debatable, but the central cause is not.
Using your argument, it's like saying you threw up due to consuming too much alcohol.

Also without the Thirty Years War, Europa Universalis would be a much worse game... it's so fun to play as a member of the Holy Roman Empire with the goal of uniting Europe

Old
01-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhantic View Post
There isn't much more to it than that though... now the timing and necessity of it can be debatable, but the central cause is not.
Using your argument, it's like saying you threw up due to consuming too much alcohol.
I don't think so at all. The point of my argument is nothing happens suddenly or from one instance. I'm not disputing slavery as a main cause (maybe the Taco Bell sends you over the top), but to not consider what precipitated it (the all-day drinking) seems too convenient.

Old
01-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I don't think so at all. The point of my argument is nothing happens suddenly or from one instance. I'm not disputing slavery as a main cause (maybe the Taco Bell sends you over the top), but to not consider what precipitated it (the all-day drinking) seems too convenient.
Yeah. For the most part, slavery certainly didn't motivate the common soldier who signed up and supported the cause. The average Union soldier wouldn't have died to free the slaves and was actually quite racist by today's standards. When the Emancipation Proclamation was issued, it caused a lot of unrest in the Union ranks, because many felt they hadn't signed up to free the slaves. The average CSA soldier didn't own slaves and had no real hope of ever owning one. He was fighting to defend his home, not for the "rights" of the rich. That is routinely forgotten and often never mentioned.

Old
01-25-2011, 07:52 PM
PhillyPhantic

Quote:
Well... sure, you can say that inadequate dressing of the slavery issue during the Constitutional Convention. Or the invention of the cotten gin that made growing cash crops in the south using slave labor economically profitable. Or the sudden shift of popular culture in the 1850s to suddenly turn the majority of the northern population abolitionists.
However, like I said before, all of them are derivatives of slavery issue.
Three-Fifth Compromise, Mason-Dixon Compromise, Missouri Compromise, Ostend Manifesto, Bleeding Kansas, Dred Scott, Lincoln-Douglas Debate... all of them derived from slavery and expansion of slavery...
Cause of Civil War generally goes:
Slavery >>> Western Expansion >> Differentials in Economic systems > State's Rights > Tariffs
All but maybe tariffs are related to slavery or caused by slavery.
Even the Southerners recognized this. Texas Declaration of Causes for Secession even spent half the document talking about slavery.

Old
01-25-2011, 08:04 PM
PhillyPhantic

Quote:
Yeah. For the most part, slavery certainly didn't motivate the common soldier who signed up and supported the cause. The average Union soldier wouldn't have died to free the slaves and was actually quite racist by today's standards. When the Emancipation Proclamation was issued, it caused a lot of unrest in the Union ranks, because many felt they hadn't signed up to free the slaves. The average CSA soldier didn't own slaves and had no real hope of ever owning one. He was fighting to defend his home, not for the "rights" of the rich. That is routinely forgotten and often never mentioned.
Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die. -- H Hoover

Uhmmm actually the cause of the war was not lost on the Union soldiers. The riots in New York about draft laws actually targeted African American churches and businesses... There were even lynchings because the draftees didn't want to fight for the blacks.

Old
01-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhantic View Post
Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die. -- H Hoover

Uhmmm actually the cause of the war was not lost on the Union soldiers. The riots in New York about draft laws actually targeted African American churches and businesses... There were even lynchings because the draftees didn't want to fight for the blacks.

Those were the people who sat out initially. There were still swarms of people who signed up of their own accord out of patriotism, but not to free slaves.

It really is a very complicated issue. It's a little bit of everything adding up.

Old
01-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Does anyone here know much about taxes? My girlfriend tried to file online and she said she is going to get back exactly $0. I thought it seemed weird. I think she made about $35k in 2010 and worked at the same job the whole year. I dont think she had any deduction or exemptions. I know she said she has a 401k and I think a Roth account at 2% for each. Does that seem right? I dont know a damn thing about taxes, I take mine to an uncle who does mine for me.

Old
01-26-2011, 12:11 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Does anyone here know much about taxes? My girlfriend tried to file online and she said she is going to get back exactly $0. I thought it seemed weird. I think she made about $35k in 2010 and worked at the same job the whole year. I dont think she had any deduction or exemptions. I know she said she has a 401k and I think a Roth account at 2% for each. Does that seem right? I dont know a damn thing about taxes, I take mine to an uncle who does mine for me.
That's real weird. I would perhaps ask someone if I were her.

Gas company been outside my house drilling all ****ing night.

Old
01-26-2011, 12:12 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Buying a Ukulele tomorrow.

****ing stoked.

Old
01-26-2011, 12:23 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
That's real weird. I would perhaps ask someone if I were her.

Gas company been outside my house drilling all ****ing night.
Dude, me too. Weird.

Old
01-26-2011, 01:08 AM
mypunkrock

Just got back from the Coyotes/Oilers game. Ladies and gentlemen, I can now appreciate how much we, as Flyers fans, kick ass.

Positives about Jobing.com arena - PBR tall cans(!!!), great sound system, the company I had, Upshall with 2 goals, attractive Oilers fans, surprisingly nice area and FREE parking, phenomenal food/beer selection

Negatives - ice girls were manly, PBR tall cans cost $10, the Coyotes have little to no system in place, terrible mascot

Philly, I miss you so.

Old
01-26-2011, 01:14 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Dude, me too. Weird.
Are we...neighbors?

Old
01-26-2011, 01:49 AM
flyersguy33*

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2011/01...dispenser.html

Quote:
According the WHYY, the Wells Fargo Center will be the first Philly area stadium to implement the new Bottom's Up Beer Dispenser. In case you haven't seen it yet, the BUBD fills your beer from the... wait for it... bottom up.

It uses a magnet that covers a hole in the bottom (that's the trigger word right there) of the cup. When placed on the dispenser, the magnet is lifted to allow beer to fill into the cup. The dispenser, which pours beer 9x faster than the average tap, automatically cuts itself off once the cup is full. Hello sexy!

When removed from the dispenser, the magnet is pulled back down by a small magnetic ring in the bottom of the cup- Sealing. It. Shut. I love you.

Old
01-26-2011, 02:24 AM
PhillyPhantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Just got back from the Coyotes/Oilers game. Ladies and gentlemen, I can now appreciate how much we, as Flyers fans, kick ass.

Positives about Jobing.com arena - PBR tall cans(!!!), great sound system, the company I had, Upshall with 2 goals, attractive Oilers fans, surprisingly nice area and FREE parking, phenomenal food/beer selection

Negatives - ice girls were manly, PBR tall cans cost $10, the Coyotes have little to no system in place, terrible mascot

Philly, I miss you so.
Just be glad you have NHL hockey.... not all of us are so lucky in our choice of cities to live in

PS: Best historical name: Cnut
Look it up, it's a real dude and an easy anagram of another four letter word.

Old
01-26-2011, 03:29 AM
Jester

Quote:
It took me 3 tries to spell that city correctly.

See, this is why I don't like saying "the Civil War was caused by slavery." It's important, and fueled the fire, but it's really much deeper than that.

edit: At the time many saw that slavery was not sustainable, that the idea of expanding it westward was a waste of time, and that it would die a natural death. A theory is that as industry was beginning to expand southward, it would give new life to slavery and would also be a serious threat to northern industry. So there's that, I guess.
The Civil War was caused by slavery. Slavery was the central divisive issue at the founding of the nation, and they punted on it. That created an untenable political situation that plagued the nation throughout the antebellum period. The real problem is assessing the Civil War and slavery's relation to it purely in the events of the 1850s and 1860s. That was just the end game of a debate that centered on slavery that had been simmering throughout the nation's existence.

Politically, and what led to the secession of the southern states, the primary issue with Lincoln's rise to the presidency was that he was against the westward expansion of slavery and all of that jazz (that's why the Democratic Party split along North/South lines).

Sure, there was a ton of waxing and waning over brandy about the future of slavery in the US, and there were some that felt it would eventually die out. However, if you are a wealthy southern slave holder in the late 1850s, and your wealth and power are directly related to the slave society that you and your forefathers have created and maintained... then the **** is seemingly hitting the fan if there will be no more slave states joining the union (due to the composition of the US legislative body). Their position in society was directly associated with their possession of slaves, and those were the individuals with political power in the South. Which is, of course, why there is a very strong correlation between plantation societies and secession (South Carolina had the largest slave population in the nation).

It wasn't much deeper than slavery. Slavery was it. It was always about slavery. It could have been addressed at the founding of the nation, but the North was more interested in actually getting everyone's name on the paper... so they compromised and brought slavery along with 'em into the union.

Now, it becomes more complex because slaveholding societies are distinct from non-slaveholding societies. So, if you're going to talk about removing slaves from a society, you're talking about fundamentally altering the way that society is going to operate (socially, culturally, politically, economically, etc.). So, the southern states were entirely accurate when they talked about the north attacking their way of life... however, what was being attacked was slavery.

The arguments then got dressed up in all sorts of other stuff, but the fact of the matter was that the Civil War was over slavery. It's position within the United States, and the the political and economic realities that its existence had fostered.

Quote:
None of this necessarily matters for why the war was fought. Common soldiers in every war that has ever been fought have had little vested interest in the results, or any specific control over why the war was being fought.

As to CSA soldiers not owning slaves, or hoping to own one... fighting to defend his home, not for the "rich." You are missing some fundamental aspects of what was at stake for poor southern whites in the Civil War (and what happened after). No matter how poor you might be as a white in the south, you weren't black and you weren't a slave. The south had constructed a racial hierarchy system, and that was part of what was perceived as under attack. This is without getting into the fact that I think you're egregiously underestimating the cultural influence of the slaveholding class in the south, but that's another matter.

This is of fundamental importance to understanding the next century of US history, and the failure of Reconstruction. The Civil War eventually ended the institution of slavery, but the North quickly pulled the plug on Reconstruction and the social/racial hierarchy of the South quickly returned in new forms. There was advantage to that if you were white, and as we are all well aware significant disadvantage if you were black... and it took another 100 years before we figured that part of it out.

Old
01-26-2011, 11:02 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Schools are letting out at noon. This doesn't look like a dusting.

Closed Thread