HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official Scott Gomez Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2011, 10:44 AM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
The Official Scott Gomez Thread

Some interesting numbers going into the all star break:

1st, lets compare the cap hits:

Gomez - 7.3 Million
Darche - 500 K

Ok, now that we got that out of the way.....

Games played:

Gomez - 48
Darche - 44

TOI:

Gomez - ~20 minutes
Darche - ~10 minutes

Goals:

Gomez - 6
Darche - 9

Total Points

Gomez - 26
Darche - 20

EVEN STRENGTH POINTS

Gomez - 11
Darche - 14

The positive: for Approximately combined $8 Million cap hit , we get the equivalent of a PPG player!

The Negative: Scott Gomez

Last edited by coolasprICE: 01-27-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old
01-26-2011, 10:47 AM
otto bond

Last night was hard and Gomez is ......there is nothing we can do about it. MAybe we will be able to trade him but I dought it

Old
01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
MXD

Gomez might be on his way to Reddenization.

Old
01-26-2011, 10:54 AM
neofury*

I'm a fan of Gomez and believe it's just a slump and he'll show up when it matters the playoffs.

Darche has been incredible for what's been asked of him. Exceeded expectations. I remember the days of "why is Darche playing instead of White" and now everyone just shuts their mouths.

Darche has been better than anyone ever could have expected as has Pouliot considering the role being given as 3rd and 4th liners. These two players are diamonds in the rough all though Pouliot I think some of us knew all along this kid was destined for great things, he has too much talent.

You know I may not see any huge point contributions by anyone other than Plekanec but I see a real team effort here and I like what I see even if Gomez isn't putting up big numbers he's still a big part of our team like it or not. So while I agree with the points in this thread I sort of find it disrespectful. Are you going to be mad at Gomez still if we win a cup with him? This is a team not just a bunch of numbers and cap spaces. They play as a unit and if they win they win as a unit. Look at how many injuries we've had, how many AHL players made the jump. Subban, Weber, Pacioretty, Desharnais,even White and Engvist have gotten called up. I believe Carle might be next for I fear we could get another injury at D.

All the guy really needs is NHL ice time. Injuries held him back but he's a plus player who can also chip in. NHL time will make him that good D our team needs. We need Gomez more than ever now with how many AHLers on the team and injuries to our core roster. Just have a little faith he's going to show up.

Old
01-26-2011, 10:58 AM

I didn't know Scott Gomez has a 7.3M cap hit...it's like one of the least analyzed things here on the Habs board, so you guys can't blame me for not knowning.

Old
01-26-2011, 10:58 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Gomez - 7.3 Million
Darche - 500 K

solution
replace gomez by 14 Darches

Old
01-26-2011, 11:00 AM
onice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Just have a little faith he's going to show up.
But he does show up - every two weeks to pick up his cheque. I wasn't and am still not a fan of Gomez though I admit he is a good locker room guy. But if we can unload him in the off season and pick up someone who gives us a better bang for our buck it would make my summer.

I guess I'm gonna have a bad summer.

Old
01-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Bill McNeal

Is there an end game to your Gomez crusade? Serious question, because I can see where you're coming from re: the frustration at having an overpaid player, but isn't there a point where you just have to live with it?

I think pretty much everybody knows by now that Gomez is overpaid (except 417 ). Harping on it won't convert any more souls nor will it run Gomez out of town. Not to mention that getting rid of Gomez mid-season would hurt this team's playoff chances more than anything. If it's going to be done it should be done in the off-season when the team has plenty of time to find an adequate replacement.

And yes, for all his warts Gomez does serve a purpose on this team. Getting rid of him at all costs wouldn't be a case of addition by subtraction, you'd be creating a big hole on the team just to gain cap space which doesn't have near the value it would in the off-season.

Old
01-26-2011, 11:03 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post

solution
I laughed, out loud!

Old
01-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Gomez gains the zone and creates chances. Darche pops in ugly goals. Both players have their place and are important.

Old
01-26-2011, 11:15 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Gomez gains the zone and creates chances. Darche pops in ugly goals. Both players have their place and are important.
14 of Gomez's 26 points are from the PP.

If the way he enters into the offensive zone pays such great dividends, why doesn't he have more even strength points?

Old
01-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:

If the way he enters into the offensive zone pays such great dividends, why doesn't he have more even strength points?
Terrible start for both he and Gionta, and playing half the games, if not more, with Travis Moen has a lot to do with that.

Old
01-26-2011, 11:18 AM
onice

Quote:

The previous poster was correct that Gomez does gain the zone very well. Problem is he doesn't know what to do once he gets there.

Old
01-26-2011, 11:18 AM
SmurfsFTW
DD for Masterton

I couldn't care less if Gomez is overpaid, it's not my money (unless I spend a couple hundred $$ for two seats, wich I do a couple times per seasons). But, I guess this gigantic amount of money could be invested somewhere else...

What bugs me is why can't they demote him to the third line and promote DD for a while, try playing DD with offensive linemates like he was in the AHL and properly evaluate the kid, we already know that Gomez can't friggin shoot the puck and score goals, wich is terrible for an offensive player. Then if he can't be a good 2-way defensive player, waive him and his big contract to try to sign some more useful UFAs.

I told my beer league teammate last week : 'Hey I just scored a Scott Gomez goal' 'what ?' 'Yeah, I tried to pass the puck and it ended up going in'

Old
01-26-2011, 11:37 AM
gillyguzzler

How many times has Scott Gomez actually been benched for stupid penalties, for lazy backchecks, for a blown defensive coverage, for a bad giveaway???

Jacques Martin quickly benches the likes of Pouliot, AK46 and Eller for bad plays or stupid penalties. AK did get a bad slashing penalty and was promptly removed from the PP and replaced by Darche. Gomez had two penalties (too many men was his fault) yet he didn't lose a shift.

Jacques Martin doesn't have the balls to deal with Gomez. Pouliot, AK and Eller are easy targets for Martin because of they won't buck and they won't cause a commotion. Gomez wouldn't take it silently so Martin forgives, time after time without consequence, other than a few doodles on his little paper.

Last edited by gillyguzzler: 01-26-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old
01-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Habs 1909

Am I the only one who thought Gomez played well last night?

Old
01-26-2011, 11:48 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
The previous poster was correct that Gomez does gain the zone very well. Problem is he doesn't know what to do once he gets there.
Yes, the only thing quasi-elite thing that G does regularly is carry the puck from the neutral zone to offensive zone; but the moment he is faced with a defender in front of him, his feet stop moving and his supposed elite play making abilities are nonexistent

Last edited by coolasprICE: 01-26-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old
01-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Good job on making yet another Gomez topic to yet again shove down our throats how Gomez is overpaid (because we have simply bot heard that enough).

I absolutely love how you take Darche to rag on Gomez's salary while Gionta (5 million) has 1 less point than him and Cammalleri (who makes 6 million) has 4 more goals than Darche.

So for a combined 6.5 million, we could currently have a 20 goal guy.
Or better yet, for a measly 5.5, we could currently have a 25 goal guy.

This is fun!

Old
01-26-2011, 12:37 PM
googlymoogly

The only problem I have with Gomez is he said just a few days ago with all the Montreal injuries the veterans would have to step up their game. Last night only the rookies stepped up.

Old
01-26-2011, 12:56 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Good job on making yet another Gomez topic to yet again shove down our throats how Gomez is overpaid (because we have simply bot heard that enough).

I absolutely love how you take Darche to rag on Gomez's salary while Gionta (5 million) has 1 less point than him and Cammalleri (who makes 6 million) has 4 more goals than Darche.

So for a combined 6.5 million, we could currently have a 20 goal guy.
Or better yet, for a measly 5.5, we could currently have a 25 goal guy.

This is fun!
1. We didn't give up ANYTHING for Cammy or Gionta - recall that they were UFA's

2. Gionta and Cammy lit it up in the playoffs last year, also both on pace to notch 25 - 30 goals this year (Well Cammy is injured, but Gionta will likely get + 25 if he remains healthy). Darche is on pace for 16... A considerable difference, don't you think?

3. Gionta has 12 even strength goals, 19 even strength points... that's a lot more than Gomez's pathetic 12 points Even strength. Point being, imagine if Gionta had Plekanec as his centerman.

Old
01-26-2011, 01:00 PM
tiersen24

Quote:

solution

Old
01-26-2011, 01:06 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:

solution
This would not work, you would need 10 Darches and 4 Gomez centers to make the minimum league salary

Old
01-26-2011, 01:07 PM
BBrowser

Not a big fan. However when Gomez was injured the team couldn't get over it's own blue line. Like they all wondered how the heck they would get the puck into the offensive zone. Gomez makes that look so easy we forget how much the rest of the team struggles at it (except maybe Plekanec).

..and Darche isn't a solution if Gomer goes.

Old
01-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Kriss E

What is this thread about again??..

Old
01-26-2011, 01:16 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
What is this thread about again??..