HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The John Tortorella Appreciation Thread

Old
01-25-2011, 12:19 PM
DrAStuart

vCash: 500
I think it is funny that people (both here and in the media) are talking about how "different" Torts is this year -- how he is calmer, more controlled, etc. -- and how that has been good for the team.
But I think its the other way around. I don't think Torts has changed as much as the team has changed. They've bought in to what Torts wants, they're producing and as a result we have a coach isn't as frustrated as he used to be. He hasn't bitten the head off a live reporter in ages...
Its the hockey version of the Stockholm Syndrome where hostages start identifying with their captors...

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:23 PM
trench23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I remember "Fire Torts" pleas from last year. But he was different last year.

He's really changed his whole demeanor and attitude this season. He doesn't really blow up in interviews anymore, and he's done a fantastic job with young players. Especially Gilroy, Boyle, Eminger, and Anisimov in my opinion.

And the big thing is, he's got the right players now. The system he's implemented is working to a tee. It started working at the end of last season, and to has certainly carried over to this season. It's a great thing to watch.
I think one of the things that gets overlooked as well was Torts' ability to adapt-- do you remember when he first came in and something to the effect that Defense is Death? and now we have 29 other team boards claiming that we are a "trapping" team. Its a true kudos to the coach that not only has he been able to build a tough in your face mentality, but he also has recognized when to step off the gas pedal a little bit and coach towards his personel, not just coach to his style. I was for the Torts hiring originally because he was the complete opposite of Renney (and I loved Renney), but did question his ability to fully succeed here. While i still don't have grand illusions of us winning the cup this year, i would say that his ability to change this team to a tough, hard as nails in your face high-tempo team has been great.

I remember in the beginning of the season, for the first time maybe since we had Steve McKenna, Sandy McCarthy and Matthew Barnaby on a line with Purinton on D that i felt "wow, this team does not get pushed around at all-- and they win!"

trench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
I think it is funny that people (both here and in the media) are talking about how "different" Torts is this year -- how he is calmer, more controlled, etc. -- and how that has been good for the team.
But I think its the other way around. I don't think Torts has changed as much as the team has changed. They've bought in to what Torts wants, they're producing and as a result we have a coach isn't as frustrated as he used to be. He hasn't bitten the head off a live reporter in ages...
Its the hockey version of the Stockholm Syndrome where hostages start identifying with their captors...
totally 150% agreed.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:31 PM
mullichicken25

You physically can't get more out of this roster than torts has

Hats off to him, A+ for The season thus far, I agree with every decision he's made

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
I hope more people read this ^.

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Levitate

Except Tortorella has flat out said that he has tried to take the edge off a bit this season and communicate better with his team and all of that.

It is a concerted effort by Tortorella to not be as inflammatory as he has been in the past.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Except Tortorella has flat out said that he has tried to take the edge off a bit this season and communicate better with his team and all of that.

It is a concerted effort by Tortorella to not be as inflammatory as he has been in the past.
i dont recall torts ever saying that (communicating with teh team) just with the media.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i dont recall torts ever saying that (communicating with teh team) just with the media.
You're right, it's kind of hinted that his attitude towards the players has changed a bit, but not explicitly said. Mostly about his interactions with the media though

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Honestly if this team makes the playoffs he deserves a coach of the year award. Do they have that in the NHL?

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:17 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Honestly if this team makes the playoffs he deserves a coach of the year award. Do they have that in the NHL?
The Jack Adams Award

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:21 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
He's done a tremendous job this season both with the product on the ice and representing the Rangers.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Grifter3511

I never came on here and said it, but I can honestly admit that last year I did not like Tortorella and thought he was the wrong coach for this team.

Gladly, I have come to eat those feelings, and I truly enjoy and appreciate the team he has put together and the identity he has created.

Our boys work their ***** off, and as far as I can tell from interviews and their play on the ice, they take pride in themselves, their teammates, and in being Rangers.

I think the fact that we have more homegrown talent than perhaps ever has a lot to do with that, but that talent needed a model and someone to lead the way, as well as deflect attention at certain times. While Tortorella has been known to occasionally call out players during his time here(not neccessarily unwarranted), I can't think of a better coach, other than perhaps Wilson, who has the ability to deflect focus from his players to himself like Torts can.

Well done Torts, keep it up.

Grifter3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 03:44 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter3511 View Post
I never came on here and said it, but I can honestly admit that last year I did not like Tortorella and thought he was the wrong coach for this team. Gladly, I have come to eat those feelings, and I truly enjoy and appreciate the team he has put together and the identity he has created.

Our boys work their ***** off, and as far as I can tell from interviews and their play on the ice, they take pride in themselves, their teammates, and in being Rangers.

I think the fact that we have more homegrown talent than perhaps ever has a lot to do with that, but that talent needed a model and someone to lead the way, as well as deflect attention at certain times. While Tortorella has been known to occasionally call out players during his time here(not neccessarily unwarranted), I can't think of a better coach, other than perhaps Wilson, who has the ability to deflect focus from his players to himself like Torts can.

Well done Torts, keep it up.

Dont feel bad, I posted about it a bunch of times. I knew he was a good coach, but he had a bunch of stars on Tampa when they won the cup. I had serious reservations about him being able to win without that star power here in NY. His blowups in the media only pushed me further away. After years of being a league wide joke I didn't want a new coach coming in and embaressing us in the papers.
While he has yet to win anything yet here, it's obvious that he has created something good here with the guys and the way they play. If healthy I could really see them getting out of the first round of the PO's, and that would be a great start.
I think its apparent to everybody that we need a bit more talent to do any real damage though, so I hope he stays the course.

Old
01-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

I think Torts has had a great year except for the one thing he does that drives me batty to the point where I want to blow up unicorns; his obsessive-compulsive shuffling of the lines. That's gotta go. He does it even when we're healthy.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:00 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

Absolutely. Anyone who thinks he hasn't changed his personality with the media, and even behind the bench, is out to lunch. But it's only logical. This is the team he's stuck with, it is what it is, and he obviously wants to keep his job, so he had to change. He had to change his behavior and he had to do a 180 on how the team plays, because the only way a bunch of second and third liners are going to win games is if they do everything in their power to remove offensive flow from a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
They sure do, but no, he does not deserve the Jack Adams whether or not they make it to the playoffs or not. A short, neckless little guy named Trotz deserves it. Knowing this league, he'll be passed over again though, as he has been many times before.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:17 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Absolutely. Anyone who thinks he hasn't changed his personality with the media, and even behind the bench, is out to lunch. But it's only logical. This is the team he's stuck with, it is what it is, and he obviously wants to keep his job, so he had to change. He had to change his behavior and he had to do a 180 on how the team plays, because the only way a bunch of second and third liners are going to win games is if they do everything in their power to remove offensive flow from a game.

They sure do, but no, he does not deserve the Jack Adams whether or not they make it to the playoffs or not. A short, neckless little guy named Trotz deserves it. Knowing this league, he'll be passed over again though, as he has been many times before.
Trotz is definatley deserving, but another guy down south, Craig Ramsay has done a pretty bang up job with Atlanta as well.

Old
01-25-2011, 04:58 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Fully agree on Trotz. He should have several Jack Adams by now, but apparently the trophy was renamed "the most improved team" award.

01-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Trotz will never get it....i dont think the execs in the nhl even know theres a team in nashville.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

As of now, the three top coaches are Marc Crawford, Barry Trotz, and Tortorella.

Crawford, in my opinion, deserves it. Tortorella and Trotz is a toss-up for 2nd and 3rd.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:28 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Props to Torts for keeping the Rangers going. No matter what he hasn't been rattled and he's captained the ship. Props to Shoeny for making sure there's a solid program in Hartford and it's seamlessly keeping NY filled. And props to Clark for making sure Hartford is stocked. Good job for keeping the Ranger machine rolling boys!!!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote