HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Jim Carey

Old
01-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Grinder89

vCash: 500
Jim Carey

If anyone remembers the "Net Detective" and what happened to him, I've made a post in my blog about him for all those interested in reading:

http://collectorscornerccg.blogspot....jim-carey.html

It took me a long time to track down his where about's so I hope any who take the time to read will enjoy.

Grinder89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:46 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Sounds like he's just as "nice" of a guy as he was when he was playing.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:54 PM
paulsonj72

Always wondered what happened to him. I saw play at UW(Wisconsin) in the WCHA when I was in college. One of my greatest moments as a fan of my school came in 1994 when in Milwaukee in the WCHA Final 5 St Cloud St. beat Wisconsin 3-2 in OT with Carey in nets. I was their working(broadcasting) as part of a team from the college radio station St Cloud has.

paulsonj72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:43 AM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
I've heard of collectors spotting him, asking for an autograph and having him deny that he ever played in the NHL.
that's actually funny

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

IMO he was a guy that was very good technically but was not very adaptive and had poor instincts.
Once the players rooted out his weaknesses, he was not able to adjust and fell hard.

Is the ultimate example that it takes more than just being good technically to make it to and more importantly stay in the NHL.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:54 PM
tony d
The man

I've heard that he didn't like hockey that much thus why his performance dropped off. Still his first couple seasons he was among the best goalies in the league.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:55 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder89 View Post
If anyone remembers the "Net Detective" and what happened to him, I've made a post in my blog about him for all those interested in reading:

It took me a long time to track down his where about's so I hope any who take the time to read will enjoy.

took you a long time time to find him?

you didn't look that hard because about a year ago a washington newspaper did a brief article on him and it was carried across the web

also

Brian Lawton should have been your starting point--he is one of the few former NHLers taht Carey keeps in touch with

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Scott1980

Yo know, years from now, hockey history nuts born in the 90s are going to be puzzled by this.

Honestly, Carey looked like the real deal (as we would also, to be fair, we'd see later in Turek and Cechmanek) when he first came into the league. I remember as clear as yesterday thinking, "Wow, this guy got 9 shutouts!".

I was also thinking (cause 10 shutouts seemed out of the realm of possibility back then) that this guy was going to be around a while. And you wouldn't BELIEVE who tied for the league in losses that year with Bill Ranford. Yup, you bet!

I've never seen the wheels come off the chariot like that, so far, so fast!

And you know what? Even when he started going downhill, I thought, "He'll be back, he's got too much talent, not to".

97-98, he starts coming back with 2 shutouts 3-2-1 record in only 10 games. I thought, he's back. But go figure he's back in the minors next year and boom, he cleans house with Providence, proving that 96/97 was just all an off year.

And then a year later he's out of the league!

Looking back, I just think Jim got tired of it all. Tired of being jerked around, tired of people waiting for a return to 95/96 season, tired of hockey in general.

It the irony of ironies, I honestly believe his early success doomed him to expectations that he couldn't match, but that everyone assumed he'd exceed.

Even just writing this now, I'm amazed! Did I really think all this. Yes I did. Did this all happen to Jim. Yes it did!

http://mscapsfan.tripod.com/carey0700.html

http://scottywazz.blogspot.com/2010/...jim-carey.html

Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 03:55 AM
lost35*

still have the ticket stub to his first ever win, was hoping I could buy a car with it one day

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Personally, I thought Osgood outplayed him in his Vezina Trophy year, but I guess the GM's liked the guy who played 20 more games and got more shutouts. Weird that it seemed all the best goalies of the era had down years by their standards in 95-96.

Probably one of the weakest Vezina Trophy winning years on record.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:46 AM
swede84

vCash: 398
probably the worst contract deal to performance ratio in Bruins history

swede84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:50 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede84 View Post
Not mention what a blockbuster trade.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede84 View Post
Worse than Alexei Zhamnov?

Old
01-26-2011, 09:27 AM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Not mention what a blockbuster trade.
As a Bruins fan, I remember this deal well. Carey was the centerpiece of it, and we got Anson Carter, Jason Allison, and 2 picks, sending Tocchet, Oates, and Ranford the other way.

I remember being at the first game in Boston after the trade. My thoughts were:
1. Carey is the stud in the deal. Guy will be in between the pipes in Boston for 10+ years.
2. Anson Carter is pretty good, looks like he'll be a nice addition. Good speed, played hard, I even think he scored a goal in that first game.
3. Jason Allison is the worst skater I have ever seen at the NHL level. I thought he was awful, all around, and was going to be a career minor leaguer.

Funny how those things worked out.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:52 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
As a Bruins fan, I remember this deal well. Carey was the centerpiece of it, and we got Anson Carter, Jason Allison, and 2 picks, sending Tocchet, Oates, and Ranford the other way.

I remember being at the first game in Boston after the trade. My thoughts were:
1. Carey is the stud in the deal. Guy will be in between the pipes in Boston for 10+ years.
2. Anson Carter is pretty good, looks like he'll be a nice addition. Good speed, played hard, I even think he scored a goal in that first game.
3. Jason Allison is the worst skater I have ever seen at the NHL level. I thought he was awful, all around, and was going to be a career minor leaguer.

Funny how those things worked out.
1.Tocchet - premier power forward in starting decline, anyway pretty nice addition to any team
2. Oates - best pure playmaker in the game in that moment
3. Ranford - Conn Smythe trophy winner

I wouldnt like this as a Boston fan... Still Carey had a huge name that time.

Old
01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Personally, I thought Osgood outplayed him in his Vezina Trophy year, but I guess the GM's liked the guy who played 20 more games and got more shutouts. Weird that it seemed all the best goalies of the era had down years by their standards in 95-96.

Probably one of the weakest Vezina Trophy winning years on record.
Osgood probably did outperform Carey this year. But the true best goalie in the league was still Hasek, playoffs or not.

The voters simply got seduced by Carey's shutouts. His sv% was not even that good.

Retrospectively, I'd vote him in at 7th-8th that year, after Hasek, Roy, Puppa, Osgood, and Fuhr at least.

This was well-discussed in another thread not too long ago, but I forget which.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Osgood probably did outperform Carey this year. But the true best goalie in the league was still Hasek, playoffs or not.

The voters simply got seduced by Carey's shutouts. His sv% was not even that good.

Retrospectively, I'd vote him in at 7th-8th that year, after Hasek, Roy, Puppa, Osgood, and Fuhr at least.

This was well-discussed in another thread not too long ago, but I forget which.
Being below 500 and a 2.83 GAA hurt Hasek, but sure, an argument could be made that he should have done better in the voting. An argument could be made for Brodeur as well, but just missing the playoffs hurt him.

I don't think the GM's wanted to vote for Roy after the way he handled the Tremblay incident earlier that year, but yeah, he was better than Carey as well. Although, Osgood had him beat in every stat.

I remember not being too impressed with the choice back when it happened, but it just seemed like so many of the elite guys, had below par regular seasons. I find it hard to believe the GM's would be seduced by a shutout count, but there really is no other reasonable explanation.

Old
01-26-2011, 11:33 AM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
1.Tocchet - premier power forward in starting decline, anyway pretty nice addition to any team
2. Oates - best pure playmaker in the game in that moment
3. Ranford - Conn Smythe trophy winner

I wouldnt like this as a Boston fan... Still Carey had a huge name that time.
Well, the thing was, Boston was AWFUL that season. It was clearly time for a rebuild, and IIRC, Tocchet and Oates had both just bashed management, sealing their tickets out of town.

So adding Carey, Allison, Carter, and then Thornton and Samsonov (in just the first round of the draft) between March and June of that year was a pretty good move, in light of where the B's were as a team at the time.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:37 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Well, the thing was, Boston was AWFUL that season. It was clearly time for a rebuild, and IIRC, Tocchet and Oates had both just bashed management, sealing their tickets out of town.

So adding Carey, Allison, Carter, and then Thornton and Samsonov (in just the first round of the draft) between March and June of that year was a pretty good move, in light of where the B's were as a team at the time.
Well, I didnt know about circumstances. I am not Bs fan. Thanx.

Old
01-26-2011, 12:43 PM
lovetherangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder89 View Post

My brother worked in Boston for a few years in the 90's, and his company used to get great seats at the Garden. He was able to get Carey's stick, and got it signed no less. I still have it in my man cave with the rest of my sports mem. One of the coolest things my brother got me for sure.

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote