HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is anyone worried about Boston or Tampa?

Old
01-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Yes and yes.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 04:45 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Boston moreso than Tampa, but if there's one team that should scare us, it's Pittsburgh.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 04:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2112 View Post
Ditto< as much as I hate to say it....I feel its only a matter of time until we lose someone real important, for a long period of time! We were the most injury prone team around for a few years....Lets hope this year will be an exception. This team is something special.
And then Laviolette forced the team to have themselves better conditioned, and all of a sudden most of those core injuries disappeared, whereas this team was good for someone to be out a 3-4 weeks at least once a month with a day-to-day groin or abdominal strain.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
What's the worry?

If this team is a Stanley Cup team, they shouldn't be overly worried about anybody, IMO.

It's all about health, and if the Flyers stay healthy...they have as good of a chance as anybody.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 05:34 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Thomas is a good, but an incredibly, unbelievably, ridiculously lucky goaltender at some points in the game. His style is flopping, and when it doesn't work he looks like a ****ing idiot. But when it does, and usually it does... it hits the boards, the post, a skate, and then lands right on his lap. The man must eat lucky charms for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner. And midnight snack.
I think at this point in his career, you have to admit that it has a lot more to do with skill than luck. He's insanely athletic and never quits on the play. Boston was one team I thought could go to the finals this year, so they do worry me a little bit. But I'm not one to ever take a team lightly. How many Caps followers were worried about Montreal last year? Anything can happen.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

I think it should be the other way around. Who wants to play us? I do not worry about who we play. Lets the chips fall where they may. GO FLYERS

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
What's the worry?

If this team is a Stanley Cup team, they shouldn't be overly worried about anybody, IMO.

It's all about health, and if the Flyers stay healthy...they have as good of a chance as anybody.
Even Stanley Cup teams need to avoid brutal draws... especially early on. It's tough to win 3 or 4 rough matchups (thus why the team that wins the Cup has almost always come from the top 4 spots on either side).

Old
01-26-2011, 06:19 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Even Stanley Cup teams need to avoid brutal draws... especially early on. It's tough to win 3 or 4 rough matchups (thus why the team that wins the Cup has almost always come from the top 4 spots on either side).
Yeah, look at the Jets, admittedly football, but still.

And heck, look at us last year...

NJ - Owned them during the reg. season and the same roster has fallen apart this year.

BOS - Krejci getting hurt completely turned that series around, a lot of heart on our side of course, but I don't think we win the series if Krejci stays healthy.

MTL - Just a perfect matchup, a team riding a hot goalie that suddenly wasn't hot.

Old
01-26-2011, 06:21 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
I believe the Pens were the lowest Conference seed (4th) to win they Cup in the post-expansion era when they did so in 2009. I haven't fact checked, but you might be able to remove the 'almost' from your quote.

Edit: I was wrong; the Devils won in 1995 as the 5th seed.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah, look at the Jets, admittedly football, but still.

And heck, look at us last year...

NJ - Owned them during the reg. season and the same roster has fallen apart this year.

BOS - Krejci getting hurt completely turned that series around, a lot of heart on our side of course, but I don't think we win the series if Krejci stays healthy.

MTL - Just a perfect matchup, a team riding a hot goalie that suddenly wasn't hot.
Look at Washington/Pitt last year. You don't want to play a team with some of the best goaltending out there... you just don't.

Old
01-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Opus

Quote:
Then if the team enters the playoffs where they sit in the standings today, let's say top-3 in the league -- why the worry?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Spav1789

Nope

Spav1789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I don't think the question was if the team was worried, it was if we're worried.

We're going through an 82-game season and need 12 wins in the playoffs to get to the finals. For all but 18 of those games, the team we play sees us as the top dog based on last season. Which means whoever we're playing is their Super Bowl, and that just escalates in the playoffs. There's a reason the Penguins were the first team in like 20 years to make it back to the Finals after losing there the previous year.

Old
01-26-2011, 06:55 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Look at Washington/Pitt last year. You don't want to play a team with some of the best goaltending out there... you just don't.
The most interesting thing about that is how WSH has entirely changed their system since then.

I'm dunno if they could win a Cup playing that way, but the fact that they're rethinking their entire philosophy because they ran into an insanely hot goaltender is kind of funny.

Old
01-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I believe the Pens were the lowest Conference seed (4th) to win they Cup in the post-expansion era when they did so in 2009. I haven't fact checked, but you might be able to remove the 'almost' from your quote.

Edit: I was wrong; the Devils won in 1995 as the 5th seed.
Only two 5th seeds have ever won the Cup. The rest have been top seeds and a conference winner wins the Cup roughly 25% to 33% of the time.

People like to say that "anything can happen in the playoffs" and "anyone who makes the playoffs is a contender", especially fans of fringe playoff teams and lower seeds, but the reality of it is that the best teams are the top seeds and vice versa. The Cream usually rises to the top during the course of an 82 game schedule.

That's why I despise the mantra of "anything can happen in the playoffs" because, while that is technically true, all the stats and logic out there suggest that that saying doesn't mean ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The most interesting thing about that is how WSH has entirely changed their system since then.

I'm dunno if they could win a Cup playing that way, but the fact that they're rethinking their entire philosophy because they ran into an insanely hot goaltender is kind of funny.
I'm curious to see how this system conversion works out long-term, assuming Boudreau stays past this season, but this new system clearly isn't working out for them so far this season.

Last edited by Garbage Goal: 01-26-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Mike2000z28

Tampa scares me because they have a superstar in Stamkos and boston because they have a superstar goalie, and the same with Pittsburgh and Crosby. We don't have a superstar and usually someone steps up, but not always. We are tough to beat when we play a full 60min hockey game like we did against Chicago pretty much. I hope we get the A team come playoff time and not the flat team. You can't look at the last seeds being weak because you can have higher seeded teams that are worse because they are a division leader and also by the end, i don't think there will be such a disparity in points between seeds 1-8.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post
Tampa scares me because they have a superstar in Stamkos and boston because they have a superstar goalie, and the same with Pittsburgh and Crosby. We don't have a superstar and usually someone steps up, but not always. We are tough to beat when we play a full 60min hockey game like we did against Chicago pretty much. I hope we get the A team come playoff time and not the flat team. You can't look at the last seeds being weak because you can have higher seeded teams that are worse because they are a division leader and also by the end, i don't think there will be such a disparity in points between seeds 1-8.
Look at each team in the hunt. Who doesn't have a superstar?

Old
01-27-2011, 12:39 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Tampa's defense does nothing for me. You cant win 6-5 games in the playoffs every night.

Washington seems to have learned to play a more defensive minded game. So i think they will be a tough out for anyone.

Boston seems to be improved this year. Thomas is playing at a all world level and they seem to get goals from enough guys. They will be a dangerous team come playoff time.

Pittsburgh is still Pittsburgh. Can we overcome that mental block against them in the playoffs.

NYR--Any team that has Lunqvist should be a concern and Tortorella has done a fantastic job coaching that team.

Montreal--meh, if they win one round they will be lucky.

everyone else? forget about it.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Look at each team in the hunt. Who doesn't have a superstar?
Us.

Washington has some in namesake, but none of their superstars are playing like superstars. Boston doesn't have any. Probably even more in the West that don't have any.

Your definition of "superstar" probably differs from mine though.

EDIT: Well, we have Pronger I guess, but he hasn't played enough this season or well enough this season to say that he's the same superstar Pronger everyone knows yet.

Last edited by Garbage Goal: 01-27-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:58 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2112 View Post
Ditto< as much as I hate to say it....I feel its only a matter of time until we lose someone real important, for a long period of time! We were the most injury prone team around for a few years....Lets hope this year will be an exception. This team is something special.
We just got Pronger back after losing him for a month.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:16 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Us.

Washington has some in namesake, but none of their superstars are playing like superstars. Boston doesn't have any. Probably even more in the West that don't have any.

Your definition of "superstar" probably differs from mine though.

EDIT: Well, we have Pronger I guess, but he hasn't played enough this season or well enough this season to say that he's the same superstar Pronger everyone knows yet.

Seemed fitting.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:20 AM
PhillyCurt12

superstar shelley says hi

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:32 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Our big four forwards are a lot closer to being superstars than any Bruin is (unless you consider Thomas a superstar)

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:32 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
TB has a couple ex-flyers....i hate playing against ex-flyers

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:36 AM
HoverCarle*