HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Article: Mixed reaction as NHL details spread

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2662
Article: Mixed reaction as NHL details spread

This article summarizes where we're at with the CBA, includes comments from various players, and rumored details about the lottery.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...08/1073338.asp

Old
07-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Icey

vCash: 500
"Will 54 percent of revenue be higher than $42 million? I think it will be," Quinn said, "and that means it will prove to be a better deal for the players. It should be viewed as a significant victory for both sides."

So perhaps in the end nobody loses and nobody wins and I personally don't think that is a bad thing for the game of hockey.

Old
07-08-2005, 04:05 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
Players also would be forced to put 15 percent of their earnings into an escrow account each year until final revenues for that season are calculated. Any spending by the owners above 54 percent of revenues would come out of the escrow funds.
Unfair. So because owners are stupid and spend more than they are allowed, the players get money taken away? How is that fair?

Old
07-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy
Unfair. So because owners are stupid and spend more than they are allowed, the players get money taken away? How is that fair?

I think it is to protect the team from overspending in case their revenue "projections" are too high.

This may be a way of motivating players to "play harder" because if the revenue projections are not met they lose more money.

Old
07-08-2005, 04:15 PM
mackdogs*

Quote:
There is no crystal ball to see what 54% of revenues will turn into. Escrow is commonplace with a cap, try some research. This is not the result of 'stupid owners'.

Old
07-08-2005, 04:19 PM
hubofhockey

By the way, NO deal to be announced today-- but the two sides will continue to work thru the weekend.

-hub

Old
kN3eLb4Z0d

Quote:

Is it unfair when the corporation I work for determines that I can only make so much in the position I currently occupy? I've worked under a salary cap for any company I've ever worked for. Salary caps are nothing new or unusual.

Old
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
I think it is to protect the team from overspending in case their revenue "projections" are too high.

This may be a way of motivating players to "play harder" because if the revenue projections are not met they lose more money.
Unfortunately, I don't think that's correct at all. Given today's coaching strategies, playing harder just means more hooking, holding, slashing etc.
How does that increase revenues.

The whole idea of tieing costs to revenues is really an incentive for owners to hide existing revenues and for the PA to find existing revenues.

Old
07-08-2005, 04:21 PM
ej_pens

Send a message via AIM to ej_pens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
The whole idea of tieing costs to revenues is really an incentive for owners to hide existing revenues and for the PA to find existing revenues.
That's why the CBA will be 500-600 pages instead of the normal <200.

Last edited by ej_pens: 07-08-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old
07-08-2005, 04:22 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't think that's correct at all. Given today's coaching strategies, playing harder just means more hooking, holding, slashing etc.

All healthy thoughts.

Old
07-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:

What I meant by my statement of making the players "play harder" was that it may increase competition. Because if your on a team at the bottom of your division you have less people in the stands. Less people in the stands = less revenue. Less revenue = smaller paycheck. No more guaranteed contracts where a player can stink and think to himself "hey I still get my million".

Old
07-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Kestrel

Quote:

You know, I personally thought the idea of tying costs to revenues was to keep spending from going too high... and on the flip side, to keep it from going too low. I guess that's what I get for thinking, huh?

Yeah, the temptation is there to cheat, that's why there will be penalties for cheating. Any program in existence will have cheats - that doesn't make the program in and of itself a bad idea - for example, just because there's worker's comp cheats doesn't mean that worker's comp is a bad idea.

And 19nazzy, the idea that the players may have to pay back money if the owners overspend isn't really so unfair when you stop, and think for a moment, and realize that if the owners happen to be tightwads, and spend BELOW what they're supposed to, they're forced to pay more into the system. If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander, if they owners have to pay into the system, it's only fair the players have that risk too.

Old
07-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
I really like this part..

Quote:
There has been speculation NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman is saving any big announcement for next week's Major League Baseball All-Star break, so hockey can enjoy center stage in the sports world. The day before and the day after the midsummer classic are the only two days of the year a major-league game or notable college sports event doesn't take place.
So we can expect announcement anywhere from Sunday-Wednesday. Hopefully it would be CBA complete on Sunday, then a deal announced Wednesday

Closed Thread